Killerwatts.... wtf?!

jddogg

So i'm a level 73 combat and i just got a slayer task to kill killerwatts, lvl 53, no problem sure i kill 80+'s with no problem at all....

Wrong... These things hit like a truck and hit very fast... taking almost 3-500 lifepoints per battle ( im wearing full rune/black mask) How the hell am i supposed to be killing these things and why do they hit so damn hard? How am i supposed to complete this slayer task O_O? Any help[ would be appreciated. Yes i am wearing the insulted boots btw.

It is (or rather was) a common assumption that killerwatts attack using a magic-based melee attack, and that ranged armour is more effective (however I have not seen evidence of this).

You should make sure you wear Insulated boots to help prevent some of the damage, but really, killerwatts are rather tough for their level.

It is a good idea to remember to ask your slayer master for tips as they often mention a weakness or requirement for killing the creatures you were assigned.

If you'd rather skip the task, you can speak to the Slayer Master in Burthorpe to have it replaced with a "nooby" task, before going back to Vanekka.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

What about ranging them and using protect ranged? Would that work?

There has to be some way to do it.... they hit so stupid ridiculously hard and accurate.

If you'd rather skip the task, you can speak to the Slayer Master in Burthorpe to have it replaced with a "nooby" task, before going back to Vanekka.

Or you could spend points to cancel your task, so you don't lose your task streak. :)

I believe this particular OP has not yet completed smoking kills. ;)

What about ranging them and using protect ranged? Would that work?

There has to be some way to do it.... they hit so stupid ridiculously hard and accurate.

I've never actually tried ranging them, but they will continue to hit you for much damage regardless. Both their ranged and melee attacks are highly accurate.

If you can keep them at a distance it might help though.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

IIRC correctly a strong fact about killer watts (which led to the mage base melee theory) was they are electric and as such do more damage to those in metallic armour.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Or you could spend points to cancel your task, so you don't lose your task streak. :)

I believe this particular OP has not yet completed smoking kills. ;)

correctamundo...

I can only kill 10 of these guys on a full invent of lobster, ridiculous lol, and my task called for 99... guess slow n steady it is then...

IIRC correctly a strong fact about killer watts (which led to the mage base melee theory) was they are electric and as such do more damage to those in metallic armour.

Yet I tried testing this, switching from bandos to armadyl armour and just standing there waiting to kill me.. Didn't notice much difference really.

Laws of physics also don't really apply in RuneScape. ;)

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

Ok ranging them with protect ranged on is the way to go. Forces them to range only and stop their melee attack :D Much better now :] Thanks for the idea.

Yet I tried testing this, switching from bandos to armadyl armour and just standing there waiting to kill me.. Didn't notice much difference really.

But Armadyl armour is also quite clearly a metal armour, you cans ee by looking it it has a metallic texture etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Warning: Killerwatts are much more dangerous than what their combat level may suggest; they attack as fast as darts, and are very accurate. Only fight them when wearing armour that has a high magic defence bonus.

Runewiki

hopesolopatriot.jpg

But Armadyl armour is also quite clearly a metal armour, you cans ee by looking it it has a metallic texture etc.

Armadyl has some of the highest magic defence in the game...

It also doesn't have the weight you'd associate with metallic armour like rune.

I'm not saying it is or isn't metal, but it obviously doesn't act as metallic (melee) armour.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

I'm not saying it isn't, but it obviously doesn't act as metallic (melee) armour.

But that assumes metallic = mele.

Metallic can easily mean other things than melee isn't the a whole heap of random non-melee items that stop ava's thingy working due to being metallic?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I'm not saying it isn't, but it obviously doesn't act as metallic (melee) armour.

Metallic can easily mean other things than melee isn't the a whole heap of random non-melee items that stop ava's thingy working due to being metallic?

Um..what? Isn't it only melee platebodies?

[hide=Anti-spam hidden quotes]

[/hide]

Not necessarily, but that's rather irrelevant.

I believe it is an accepted "truth" that metallic (melee) armour has a negative defence against magic, and therefore, for lack of a better term, is bad against magic attacks.

You're saying that their melee attack is magic-based because metallic armour conducts it, and despite the fact that Armadyl armour has some of the highest magic defence in the game, you claim it is metal, and therefore (according to your logic) is weak to magic.

That just doesn't make sense tbh.

Still, I do believe the method the OP currently is using (ranged along with ranged prayer, whilst keeping them at a distance) is decent. But yeah, question's been answered, so I think I'm done here. 8-)

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

You completely ignored my point there of course it "makes no sense" when you read random crud about magic that I did not say.

My point was I vaguely recalled some mention when killerwatts arrived that they were electrical and thus metallic (any metallic armour) armour boosted their damage. Nothing to do with mage or mage defence.

Given that most metallic armour is melee and at the time all range armour was leather this helped feed the idea they used a mage-based melee attack as obvious the leathers took less damage. Obviously since then, with hit-splats etc., it has been shown its not mage-based melee but many people still cite it as being such incorrectly sometimes.

But anyway going back to the metallic idea:

The fact Armadyl took similar damage to Bandos and both are metallic does fit with what I was saying because I was not talking about mage defence.

I may be wrong but the test you did does not prove anything aside from two metallic looking armours took similar damage which fits perfectly with the theory I cited.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

You completely ignored my point there of course it "makes no sense" when you read random crud about magic that I did not say.

My point was I vaguely recalled some mention when killerwatts arrived that they were electrical and thus metallic (any metallic armour) armour boosted their damage. Nothing to do with mage or mage defence.

Given that most metallic armour is melee and at the time all range armour was leather this helped feed the idea they used a mage-based melee attack as obvious the leathers took less damage. Obviously since then, with hit-splats etc., it has been shown its not mage-based melee but many people still cite it as being such incorrectly sometimes.

But anyway going back to the metallic idea:

The fact Armadyl took similar damage to Bandos and both are metallic does fit with what I was saying because I was not talking about mage defence.

I may be wrong but the test you did does not prove anything aside from two metallic looking armours took similar damage which fits perfectly with the theory I cited.

Your idea just sounds pretty random (and doesn't make any sense). Why would Jagex implement extra damage with metallic armor vs not?

Would it be better just to not wear any armor then?

Armadyl armor is definitely not metallic as well.

capt%20kevin.png

Your idea just sounds pretty random (and doesn't make any sense). Why would Jagex implement extra damage with metallic armor vs not?

Would it be better just to not wear any armor then?

Armadyl armor is definitely not metallic as well.

Why does it not make any sense?

electricity + metal = bad

It's not like there's not many many other slayer locations and monsters that have special damage factors.

But anyway the OP got good advice with the range pray + range attacks

And as I already said I may be wrong I jsut recalled jagex mentioning it somewhere when killerwatts were added, the extra post was simply to re-explain since Jaffy totally misconstrued what I had said.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

IIRC, I had much more success fighting them with my blue dhide armor than with full rune, including in melee.

The fact that someonje with very high levels stood there waiting to be killed by a level 50 monster doesn't mean much : It just wouldn't hit much anyway.

WarBlastoise.png

IIRC, I had much more success fighting them with my blue dhide armor than with full rune, including in melee.

The fact that someonje with very high levels stood there waiting to be killed by a level 50 monster doesn't mean much : It just wouldn't hit much anyway.

Actually yes, Jaffy and me tested this, and we didn't notice a difference between Armadyl and Bandos, though the accuracy was still high (I'd say 40% or higher).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

As i said before... just range them with protect ranged prayer on :P So much simpler haha. How has no one thought to try that yet?

Well I haven't actually killed them at all - and if I would I'd be using soul split. Most people just Buthorpe the task as it pretty much sucks at every level imaginable.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted