Do you really care about your weight?

Star_Fox

I'm finding it very hard to believe that a RuneScape fansite seems to have nobody who is overweight on it, from the posts I've read.

I am overweight. I'm just comfortable with it.

But isn't that like saying you're okay with being unhealthy and putting your life at risk?

Same can be said for underweight people so don't think i'm taking a bash at "fat" people.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finding it very hard to believe that a RuneScape fansite seems to have nobody who is overweight on it, from the posts I've read.

But isn't that like saying you're okay with being unhealthy and putting your life at risk?

Same can be said for underweight people so don't think i'm taking a bash at "fat" people.

I guess so.

But is it really wrong? People make it out to be overweight means instant death nowadays... :roll:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

...I'm kind of super surprised at the massive skinniness going on in this thread. Like a lot of you people must be skin and bones.

I don't care about my weight but I do care about my appearance. I think I weigh 170 ish lbs at 6'. I've lost about 10 lbs in the past year. I'm pretty happy with how I look and will continue eating/exercising to maintain it. I got kind of fat for a few years so I won't let that happen again. Plus not eating junk just makes you feel so much better.

p2gq.jpg

I'm 6'4 and weight has never really been a huge problem to me, except when I finished school I stopped sport all together, went to England for 5 months and pretty much ate fish and chips the whole time I was there. I knew I was putting on weight but didn't think it was that bad until I got back and my mum started telling me I looked like I had put on too much weight, and my friends told me the same thing. I was only 190 pounds which doesn't seem like that much, and my BMI told me I was normal weight. Anyway, I got back into sport and exercising and started eating a bit better, best thing I've done..Two years later and I'm now 163 pounds of muscle :shades:

Umm.. 6'4 and 163 lbs? You sure that's right? That's like... Not even skin and bones, just skin.

I do care about my weight, but not enough to crazy diet. I've lost a lot of weight, and I still try to lose more, but I don't really care enough to do it.

6'4 here as well, which is why I question the validity of the statement of 163 pounds.... That is just. Skinny. Deathly skinny. You can't have no muscles at that level.

Well, the lowest I was before I started going to the gym was 139 pounds (63kg). I had absolutely no muscle, could hardly bench the 44 lbs bar. I've gone up to 171 lbs (78kgs) at one point, but then I stopped going to the gym for a while (2 months) and went back down to 163lbs. Which I'm still hovering around. My max bench is 176 lbs (80kg) so there's some muscle hiding there :P

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

I guess so.

But is it really wrong? People make it out to be overweight means instant death nowadays... :roll:

Eh, i guess there's nothing wrong with it. After all, it's your life and your choice. And besides, some people are overweight no matter how hard they try not to be. I had this guy in my high school who played tennis with me. He was about 10 or 15 kgs overweight but he was the second best tennis player in our school. He was just as fit as any of the rest of us tennis players (even more fit than a lot of us). I think it was probably just a genetic thing. Being skinny just isnt in the cards for some people.

[hide]When I dumped my girlfriend of 2 years 3 months ago I felt like I was wasting my potential. I've always been an underachiever and never really put effort into anything. I always thought of myself as intelligent and better than average (although I never acted like a pretentious douchebag to anyone.) Going through HS I realized that most people thought they were superior to everyone which is where the idea that I was nothing special began to sink in. I began to think about what I had in life: low self-esteem, not many friends (or so I thought), nothing planned for my future and no money saved. I had no real achievements; I had never worked to earn something I really wanted. I decided I was going to test myself. I wanted to know whether I was above average or not.

I google'd everything about working out, gaining muscle mass, proper diet plans, proper workouts & routines, etc. The same day I bought a two month membership to my local gym and spoke to the trainers, showing them my plans and what I wanted to achieve. They helped work out some flaws in my diet or workouts and suggested some things.

I began to learn about subjects which interested me beginning with journalism & writing, moving onto sociology/anthropology and finally, after weeks spent reading up on information, I decided that I was going to study psychology.

I asked my managers at my lame fast-food job for more hours and began saving every dollar I made. After two months I had 3000$ saved, which was alright, but I realized that in the long run this wouldn't be enough. I began to study investing, learning the basics and eventually more. I wanted to know how to properly invest and make profit, so I read up on the subject and learned. I currently spend two hours a day studying, usually 90 minutes of psychology and 30 about investing, but if I'm interested I'll read more. Notes are also taken.

I also cleaned up my act. Cut my long, sloppy hair, started regularly cleansing/exfoliating my face, got rid of my skater clothes and bought a few suits and better looking casual clothes, stay clean-shaved and hit the sauna every day at the gym to clear up the little acne I used to have.

After about a month I decided to broaden my horizons. I've decided to learn a new language every year (currently speak English, French and Spanish. Taking a Finnish course which I signed up for.) I also signed up for yoga & guitar classes. I bought a new instrument every few weeks which I tried to learn as much as I can on before buying a new one: a bass, a harmonica, a classical acoustic, a keyboard, a ukulele and I'm currently waiting for my next pay-check before I buy a set of electric drums (I live in an apartment so I can't own a real set.)

I'm honestly proud of what I've done in the past few months. I feel as though my life just began and I'm a completely different person than I used to be. I look back and think of my past (or most of it) as wasted time.

What keeps me motivated is the fact that I don't want to be 'normal', I don't want to stop learning and developing myself. This picture basically summarizes what motivates me:

1309444463397.jpg

[/hide]

I don't mean to brag or anything, nor do I think I'm better than anyone. I just felt like typing this up and letting someone know. I also find it funny how someone like my ex provoked this. Life is great.

Your past was not "wasted time". Was it not for your past you would not have been where you are now. Rather look at your past as something that made you the person you are today. It's something you should really value.

I posted that in the confessions thread as it seems to belong there more than here.

I don't regret my past, but I do regret how I treated myself. I wanted certain things but never cared enough to work for them. I understand what you mean though, if I wasn't so ashamed of myself I wouldn't have changed things.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

I guess that is one way of looking at it. But there is no guarantee being the "ideal" weight would extend my life any, either. If being fit would make me that much happier with my life, I would do it. But, despite many of my posts suggesting otherwise, I am quite happy as it is.

No worries, you would have to do much better than that to offend me.

I don't find it a big deal that alot of the people on a Runescape fan site are not overweight. Most players aren't addicted and manage to find a good balance between the game and their lives. Assuming that people from a gaming forum are overweight simply because of that is just a prejudice, not necessarily true.

Quite alot of ideas forwarded on this topic related to the weight issue. Most of them i've heard before and aren't anything new, but one user has particularly impressed me with his posts on this very topic, which pretty much coincide with my own experiences and what i see as truth. In any case there would be too much ground to cover on this topic so i won't, i'll just say i'm not overweight anymore and although i'm definetly not satisfied with how i look i've grown content with it.

Final1.jpg

None of the girls I know play video games. :\ Kinda unfortunate.

I am fortunate enough to have made friends with a few girls on Runescape who are pretty amazing.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

None of the girls I know play video games. :\ Kinda unfortunate.

I am fortunate enough to have made friends with a few girls on Runescape who are pretty amazing.

My Ex played video games which was interesting and a good majority of the people I know who play video games are skinny/average weight. Stereotypes are stupid.

Weight wise, I need to start putting on some weight being 5ft 10 weighing only 60kg puts me on the scrawny side of life.

Realize, I just made that 4th picture my desktop background. Thank you for that.

Tec106.png

The fact that nobody understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

The assumption that all gamers are overweight has become a bad stereotype just like women don't play video games.

But statistically it is more likely that they are, because gaming is a sedentary hobby, and non-gamers tend to have more active hobbies. When I wrote the post at the top of this page, there was nobody who had admitted to being overweight. In a largely US/Euro-centric community of gamers, that was highly improbable.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Those overweight and unhappy about it probably wouldn't admit it. What would they gain from it?

And, I'll assume (though, last time I did, I was quickly lectured for it), most of the overweight players would spend their time playing the game, not hanging out in the Off-Topic section of these forums (it's been said many times, the majority of OT regulars are retired or semi-retired).

It'd be stupid to say that all gamers are overweight. But it isn't completely idiotic to reason that many, if not the majority, are.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

The assumption that all gamers are overweight has become a bad stereotype just like women don't play video games.

But statistically it is more likely that they are, because gaming is a sedentary hobby, and non-gamers tend to have more active hobbies. When I wrote the post at the top of this page, there was nobody who had admitted to being overweight. In a largely US/Euro-centric community of gamers, that was highly improbable.

I guess it would be fair to say tip.it's user base are not your average gamers.

My only recommendation is to look through tip.it's real-life picture topic so you can see first hand what other users do look like.

tFtfA.jpg

What defines a gamer though? I spend quite a bit of times with video games, but I do not consider myself a gamer since I don't actively pursue new releases or news.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

What defines a gamer though? I spend quite a bit of times with video games, but I do not consider myself a gamer since I don't actively pursue new releases or news.

Anyone who plays games would classify as a gamer.

Eh, not so much. I am not in the same category as my friends little brother. That guy eats, lives, and breathes video games.

siggy3s.jpg

I wouldn't say that's true. Looking at hardcore gamers, they usually take one of 2 paths: Overweight or underweight. I would say becoming underweight is also a significant possibility since some get preocupied with the game and tend to ignore some eating habits, especially if they also smoke/drink.

Final1.jpg

Eh, not so much. I am not in the same category as my friends little brother. That guy eats, lives, and breathes video games.

They are just more serious gamers. A person who runs the 100m sprint is just as much an athlete as the one that does the sprint, high jump, long jump and hurdles.

I think gamer should apply to anyone who plays a video game (whatever it is) relatively habitually. I think there just needs to be some distinction between those who aren't obsessed and those who are: perhaps 'hardcore' gamer does just that.

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

My only recommendation is to look through tip.it's real-life picture topic so you can see first hand what other users do look like.

I've never looked at it, but I'm going to guess that that thread isn't an accurate representation of TIF.