Do you really care about your weight?

Star_Fox

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree. If I can't see my woman's ribs we're done.

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

Disagree. If I can't see my woman's ribs we're done.

bit drastic - and this is coming from a guy who got a hernia from chubby chasing.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I care.

I was like many of the teens here; skinny and could eat just about anything without gaining weight. As someone else mentioned, your metabolism changes sometimes in your 20's - regardless if you are active or not. I didn't care at that point, which meant I put on quite a lot of weight over time. My BMI passed 25, and I noticed the physical changes too late to catch up. After a year or so, I managed to lose most of the surplus weight. At 20, that wasn't a huge challenge, seeing as I had plenty of time to be physically active.

A few years ago, I noticed that my weight was increasing again - this time caused by health reasons, which in turn the weight gain made worse.

This time I chenged my eating habits (finishing the plate is not a must, only serve portions at the table and always wait 10 minutes before going for a second serving) and started working out regularly. My BMI went from 26 to a healthy 19-20 in about a year, and I have maintained it since.

Why should you care about your weight?

Most importantly for health reasons. You're not immortal, and your bad habits from when you are young can come back and haunt you later, when you have a lot more to risk, such as children/family, work, economy and property.

Appearance. How other people perceive you is a lot based on first impression. Overweight =/= lazy, but unless you show that you have a lot of energy, it can definitely count against you in a job interview where you compete with a selection of top tuned applicants. Since overweight increases the risk of several diseases, many people in the position of hiring choose to avoid those with weight issues to decrease the risk of work days lost. In addition to this, you are less likely to get chosen for jobs where you need to look presentable, and the number of jobs where this is important is increasing.

Self worth. If you don't care about your weight and the consequences, you aren't the best you that you can be. Apathy in any form will at some point make you feel bad, and everyone should feel that they deserve to be as healthy as possible, have a nice environment where you live (whether it being an apartment, a dorm room or a house), a job/study and people in your life that treat you well. If you settle on these things, you are likely to regret it later. Life is too short for regrets. :)

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

got a hernia from chubby chasing.

dude what

Rainy Day dared me to post it. Ask him.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

125 lbs, don't care about my weight as long as I keep getting stronger each week from lifting. If I was fat, I'd probably care about my weight, though >_>

In a nutshell, this. I will never, ever let myself get out of shape. I lift and workout every day and I will do so for the rest of my life. And as an aside, I wouldn't accept any less from any woman I'm with.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

In any case, I've started working out and running some time ago when I had time. My weight just isn't falling below 165lbs, and the doctor thinks it's not a lack of exercise. Perhaps it's muscle replacing fat at a similar rate or something?

tl;dr don't give a [cabbage] what anyone thinks anymore. They can keep their [cabbage] to themselves. My body just wants to hover around this weight range and that's it.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

And as an aside, I wouldn't accept any less from any woman I'm with.

As shallow as that is, I totally agree. It's hard work, but I take care of my body. I'm not going to ignore or be unfriendly to a woman because she's out of shape, but I will certainly never be interested beyond a platonic level.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Xmas 2009, I was 21 stone. I lost 5 stone by august, and put on another stone since then. Planning to lose more this summer. :D

Fyi, i'm 6'1 and 17st atm.

How much is a stone exactly? I've never heard that term.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

In any case, I've started working out and running some time ago when I had time. My weight just isn't falling below 165lbs, and the doctor thinks it's not a lack of exercise. Perhaps it's muscle replacing fat at a similar rate or something?

If you're eating and working out right, then yes, you may not see very much initial weight loss. If your goal is to get muscley and you are progressing in the gym, continue. If your goal is to lose weight, eat less, but that means you sacrifice adding muscle.

Xmas 2009, I was 21 stone. I lost 5 stone by august, and put on another stone since then. Planning to lose more this summer. :D

one stone is 25 pebbles

LMFAO

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

one stone is 25 pebbles

I chuckled at that. But yeah, I'm looking to just lose some weight, seeing how I'll be up on a farm in a week or so for a month, muscle can take care of itself.

I care about my weight, but only because it is a personal hobby of mine. It doesn't really have anything to do with self image, I just like the process of altering my training/nutrition to see gains in muscle and losses of fat.

Lets me know that I am in charge of my body.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I don't really care much about my weight, then again it's probably because I can eat anything I want and I'll barely gain any weight. The joys of a fast metabolism.

Thats because the type of food you eat doesn't make you gain weight, the quantity of food does. You probably feel like you have a "fast metabolism" because you can eat junk and not get fat, but you are probably just eating a relatively low ammount of it.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I don't really care much about my weight, then again it's probably because I can eat anything I want and I'll barely gain any weight. The joys of a fast metabolism.

Thats because the type of food you eat doesn't make you gain weight, the quantity of food does. You probably feel like you have a "fast metabolism" because you can eat junk and not get fat, but you are probably just eating a relatively low ammount of it.

Well, that's probably true for my case, but at the same time even if I go on for months with a different diet, I don't really gain much. I remember when I went off for summer camp when I was like 14. The meals there were a lot more than I am used to getting at home, and I didn't really gain anything.

Fast metabolism = less energy used as actual energy and it gets used up quicker thus releasing it mostly as heat energy which is relatively useless as it dissipates rather rapidly.

j0xPu5R.png

I used to care a lot about my weight back in HS which caused me to just get fatter do to stress. I'm 5' 9" and I was up to around 215-220 lbs at my peak.

But now that I'm out I really could't care less about my weight and I've lost around 60 lbs since I graduated.

Eat_at_Arbys.png

I care, but not to the point of stressing about it (probably since I've never weighed more than 150 and I'm six foot) but if it ever got out of hand I would definitely do something about it.

This. Never paid much attention myself.