Learning the metagame / min-max RS playing

vulturesrow

Hi guys,

New to RS and found tip.it's forums. I'm getting the hang of the basics of RS but I want to get into more advanced stuff. When it comes to games I've always been a serial min-maxer and so I want to start learning all these things about RS. What Im looking for from you guys is good guides, blogs, etc, that will help me learn this kind of stuff. I mean X 99 guides arent that hard to find but Im looking for the sorts of things you guys are talking about in this forum. Thanks for any and all help.

It is very hard to give such broad advice for a game like this. I would recommend you train all skils to 50 ish as to get skills to this level is a doddle and then ask for more specific advice. The only advice I can give you now is to start farming as soon as you can and unlock Managing Thy Kingdom before not too long.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

All I can really recommend to you is reading through posts in this section, the Help & Advice section, and the guide section, even if they don't apply to what you can do or plan on doing for some time. If there's something you don't know, research it. Make full use of the H&A section of the forums for things you're not quite sure about. Do some reading and look into why one method is better than another.

It is very hard to give such broad advice for a game like this. I would recommend you train all skils to 50 ish as to get skills to this level is a doddle and then ask for more specific advice. The only advice I can give you now is to start farming as soon as you can and unlock Managing Thy Kingdom before not too long.

I know its a pretty broad question so I appreciate you taking a stab at it. Why do you advise starting farming asap?

Also, to any reading or who have already responded can anyone recommend some good RS blogs, websites, Youtube channels, etc; bonus points for ones that deal with the metagame, min/maxing etc but the man req is ijust be of good quality.

The Archive of Wisdom here on TIF has some truly excellent guides. I recommend starting farming straight away because it is such good supplementary income yet because of the nature of the skill (waiting for stuff to grow) you can't power it up in a few days even if you use the fastest methods you are still limited in the amount of xp you can do a day. For instance I'm 78 farming and trying for 85 and I am limited to gaining 190k xp a day because of the timers. If you want to do farming in a profitable manner e.g: training with cheap trees and fruit trees and making money off your herb runs you will want to start as early as possible.

2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

There are lots of outdated methods in the AoW that haven't been updated, so it's not always the best place to look.

Cheat, you can get upwards of ~250k farm XP per day without even resorting to allotments or herbs.

10xy5fk.png

Admittedly some of the AOW is very outdated particularly the bosshunting guides but there are still some very good guides for instance the herblore habitat onel. Also I my farming experience is partly limited from the amount of time a day I can play if I was able to do another tree run then yes I would probably get more experience.

2mqj8rr.png

Admittedly some of the AOW is very outdated particularly the bosshunting guides but there are still some very good guides for instance the herblore habitat onel. Also I my farming experience is partly limited from the amount of time a day I can play if I was able to do another tree run then yes I would probably get more experience.

How would you rate the Mother GAia farming guide in AOW?

Well, it is up to date on the routes to run and what to plant etc.. The only thing it does not mention is the use of farming Juju potions if I remember correctly but you can find some good information about them in the herblore habitat guide.

2mqj8rr.png

Unlike some other games, you don't really have to worry about "screwing up" your levels in Runescape. You can't make any bad decisions and ruin your character or anything like that. Just something I thought you'd like to know, as it's something I often worry about myself when starting a new MMO.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Unlike some other games, you don't really have to worry about "screwing up" your levels in Runescape. You can't make any bad decisions and ruin your character or anything like that. Just something I thought you'd like to know, as it's something I often worry about myself when starting a new MMO.

The only way you can screw up a character in RS is if you're making a pure and you get some unwanted defence/prayer levels. That won't matter if you're looking to make a maxed out character though.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

Hi guys,

New to RS and found tip.it's forums. I'm getting the hang of the basics of RS but I want to get into more advanced stuff. When it comes to games I've always been a serial min-maxer and so I want to start learning all these things about RS. What Im looking for from you guys is good guides, blogs, etc, that will help me learn this kind of stuff. I mean X 99 guides arent that hard to find but Im looking for the sorts of things you guys are talking about in this forum. Thanks for any and all help.

The best advice i can give is to look at your runescape career as a whole. For example you only get 13m exp in a skill until its 99 and then dead to you (i assume being a power gamer min/max guy once a skill is 99 you are done with it) and any exp after that in the skill is wasted time.

That being said you dont want to 'waste' any exp and that excludes some of the better (faster) training methods. ill use armored zombies for example very fast combat exp however if you get al your combat stats to 99 at armored zombies all the combat exp you get while training slayer is wasted.

Also, you have to use the skills that make cash to pay for the ones that cost cash. You dont want to waste time grinding out cash to pay for something you could have paid for if you would have trained smarter. For example you could train WC at ivy for fast exp, and if you do the math you only really save about 50 hours at ivy but it costs you close to 50m cash in the end. That 50m is enough to pay for c99 construction. Train smart. You are afk watching movies while training WC anyway why not make 50m while you are at it.

People say start farming now, what they mean is start doing herb runs now, you can crank one out every 90 min and over the course of a year you can make the cash for a few 99s from herbs.

Also, get a megavideo account so you have something to keep your mind occupied while you train, this game can make you want to slit your wrists sometimes.

Train RC at the zmi, its the exception, that skill makes people want to murder themselves.

Maxing out a runescpae account takes years plural. your biggest roadblocks will be:

1: family and friends.

2: other commitments (school etc)

3: your sanity (get a megavideo account and watch stuff)

You need a way to hide the oceans of time you will be using to max out.

Fools_Taco.png

Hi guys,

The best advice i can give is to look at your runescape career as a whole. For example you only get 13m exp in a skill until its 99 and then dead to you (i assume being a power gamer min/max guy once a skill is 99 you are done with it) and any exp after that in the skill is wasted time.

That being said you dont want to 'waste' any exp and that excludes some of the better (faster) training methods. ill use armored zombies for example very fast combat exp however if you get al your combat stats to 99 at armored zombies all the combat exp you get while training slayer is wasted.

Also, you have to use the skills that make cash to pay for the ones that cost cash. You dont want to waste time grinding out cash to pay for something you could have paid for if you would have trained smarter. For example you could train WC at ivy for fast exp, and if you do the math you only really save about 50 hours at ivy but it costs you close to 50m cash in the end. That 50m is enough to pay for c99 construction. Train smart. You are afk watching movies while training WC anyway why not make 50m while you are at it.

People say start farming now, what they mean is start doing herb runs now, you can crank one out every 90 min and over the course of a year you can make the cash for a few 99s from herbs.

Also, get a megavideo account so you have something to keep your mind occupied while you train, this game can make you want to slit your wrists sometimes.

Train RC at the zmi, its the exception, that skill makes people want to murder themselves.

Maxing out a runescpae account takes years plural. your biggest roadblocks will be:

Ughh...I knew I wouldn't like your post as soon as you started talking about how he was embarking on a new career. And then at the end, you said his family would be a real obstacle to him.

I know you'd like to max out, but please: don't sacrifice fun for xp. The moment you do that, it's just not worth it anymore. Only pixels, and since this game is VERY grindy, just try to enjoy yourself.

I'm not an efficienado.

Hi guys,

Thanks, very informative post. Problem with doing farming runs is that I still have to run most everywhere I go. :(

Ughh...I knew I wouldn't like your post as soon as you started talking about how he was embarking on a new career. And then at the end, you said his family would be a real obstacle to him.

I know you'd like to max out, but please: don't sacrifice fun for xp. The moment you do that, it's just not worth it anymore. Only pixels, and since this game is VERY grindy, just try to enjoy yourself.

No worries there, I appreciate the concern though. :)

To everyone else,

Thanks for all the great replies. I wish this forum had a rep system; I'd rep every one of you. Please keep the great replies coming.

First, welcome to RS! Always nice to have more people interested in learning to be smart with their time. :)

*afking some prayer training while typing this out*

As others have already mentioned, getting started on your farming is a great supplementary income. Once you get to the point where you're using juju farming potions, it's a great cashmaker, but even before then, it's quite decent. Another thing which will help with farming is magic secateurs, which are a quest reward. As others have already mentioned, You'll want to get the quests done to unlock managing thy kingdom out the way soon, as it's more free cash. (Cash is good, once you've been playing for a while you'll realise how expensive some skills are, and you'll be wanting allot of it. Another good thing is quest rewards, allot of the newer quests have better xp rewards for your time, and allot of the older ones have handy items / other unlockable content that will help you). If someone wants to go ahead and do a quick list of useful quests to do for their rewards, that would probably be nice. I've never bothered getting a quest cape, and i did most of my questing years ago, so i don't really feel qualified to do it myself. :P

You'll be wanting to get your combat up through slayer. A black mask / slayer helmet will allow you to kill stuff quicker than you could if you were killing things that aren't your slayer task (and you get slayer xp too, yay). If you get effigy drops, try and hold onto them until you can open them yourself, they're free xp for you once you can. On the subject of free xp, when you get random events, one of the options in your mystery box is (most of the time) an xp lamp. Free xp is good, but free xp in skills that are slower to train is even better, so you'll probably be wanting to throw the xp from those into RC, since it's generally regarded as one of the slowest skills.

A final point I'll mention, after you've been playing for a bit, you'll probably find you have spare cash laying around. It's always tempting to spend it right away on items for skills, or shiny things, but try and resist. The GE (Grand exchange) is a very powerful tool for making extra cash, and the age-old adage that it takes money to make money applies here; the more you have the easier it is to make more. You'll find it allot easier to get expensive skills up if you first save up a bit, and use that to make more, before spending some on skills, than if you're spending every penny as soon as you get it, and constantly scrounging for cash. Once you get a feel for how you can use it to your advantage, you can be building your wealth quite quickly with little time spent updating your offers. It's not something that's for everyone / everyone can do, but if you can, you'll find getting your skills up allot easier in the long run. :)

Don't worry about being 100% efficient for now, like any game this big, there's allot to learn. Also, getting all your skills to 70+ is only ~1/13th of the way to level 99, so the lower levels really won't affect how quickly you end up getting to 99 eventually. Sure, not being completely optimal will add a few hours here and there, but if you spend all your time logged off and reading about how to be efficient you'll never gain any xp!. :P

Again, as others have mentioned, the rs wiki is a great resource for anything you're uncertain of (though, feel free to raise questions on the forums here, we should be able to fill in the blanks and answer any questions the wiki can't). Hope this has been of some help. Above all else, don't forget to have fun. :)

I'll PM you some useful resources.

2mqj8rr.png