05-Oct-2011 - Your Chance to Get an Idea In-game!

Pinata

If you’ve ever had an idea for a skill update, and wished that you could play it in-game, now is your chance! We’re looking for the most original, entertaining and enticing ideas for high-level skill updates, so that we can pitch the best of them to an audience at RuneFest, and then open them up for a vote. The winning suggestion from that vote will be scripted, written, wrapped up in beautiful graphics and audio, and then released next year for everyone to play and appreciate. If it’s your idea, you’ll get the opportunity to enjoy your own creation, and watch as others enjoy it too: take it from us, no prize can match that feeling!

To help ensure we get some really useful and great ideas we’d really like you to use these guidelines:

It should be high-level

It should train or include skills that are NOT combat skills

It should be of a low-to-medium size (charm sprites and extreme potions are good examples)

It should provide an item reward

The reward should not be combat-related, but can benefit combat in the long term

If you want to put forward your idea, then please send an email to ‘[email protected]’ and we’ll check it out. If you want more information, then read our forum thread here: 235-236-897-63249059. We need all suggestions by Thursday, 13th October, in order to view them all before RuneFest, so please email us before then.

You do not need to be at RuneFest to submit your idea, but we’d still like you to come along; if you want to be in the audience that decides the best of these high-level skill suggestions, then buy a ticket and come see us at the ‘You Be The Judge’ insider session.

Good luck!

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the requirements seem kind of limiting. It's like "Give us idea, but it needs to include non-combat skills, and provide a reward that is not combat related"...

w4M8t.png

Do the requirements seem kind of limiting. It's like "Give us idea, but it needs to include non-combat skills, and provide a reward that is not combat related"...

I don't think that's too much to ask. At least Jagex realizes how heavily skewed their updates have been toward combat.

I'm more concerned about how to make the suggestion "small to medium" sized.

Tact.gif

Just noticed it said non cb related. That kinda sucks.

Pinata.png

It's like that Elite Rewards suggestion in my sig was waiting for its day to actually be useful

I can't be the only one that's sick of their 'high level updates for the sake of high level updates' trend. Everything has 80-90 requirements (Or 70-80 for quests) slapped on to it just so that they can say it's "Elite". :roll:

Agreed. I'd rather something with a bit of complexity to it, not just shoving a high level req' on it and turning out to be useless. Saw mill for example, I only know of 1 player so far who even used it as a training method despite its high req'.

Popoto.~<3

So whats jagex's idea of medium? Would an entire new bolt that requires fletching, smithing, crafting and finally herblore be considered a medium update?

The reward should not be combat-related, but can benefit combat in the long term

Does this requirement make sense to anyone els? How can a reward not be combat related but benefit combat??

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

So whats jagex's idea of medium? Would an entire new bolt that requires fletching, smithing, crafting and finally herblore be considered a medium update?

Does this requirement make sense to anyone els? How can a reward not be combat related but benefit combat??

x pots. Not created through combat, etc, but boost combat stats. Perhaps something like charm pouches?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Maybe I shouldn't be so melancholy, but I'm reminded of the older "High Level Suggestions" thread that Mod Craddock at least paid attention to once every fortnight. I'm also reminded that the suggestions on there didn't go much further than that, and its popularity faded.

*sigh*

I really should see this as a positive for the game, as a [potentially] good idea [may] come into the game, but does this mean that years of players suggesting ideas really went unthanked, whereas the person that wins this competition gets it shouted from the mountaintops? I just don't see how that's right. :S

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Maybe I shouldn't be so melancholy, but I'm reminded of the older "High Level Suggestions" thread that Mod Craddock at least paid attention to once every fortnight. I'm also reminded that the suggestions on there didn't go much further than that, and its popularity faded.

*sigh*

I really should see this as a positive for the game, as a [potentially] good idea [may] come into the game, but does this mean that years of players suggesting ideas really went unthanked, whereas the person that wins this competition gets it shouted from the mountaintops? I just don't see how that's right. :S

That "High Level Suggestions" was great thread. It was well moderated, had great ideas and discussions about them. Plus, the ideas actually were being used in game. I mean, God Wars Dungeon was inspired directly by my suggestion in that thread so it's easy to see why I'm still excited about it even now.

That said, this "Mail in an Idea" is a slap in the face to what that thread and the suggestions forum is supposed to be doing. Yeah, we all make fun of the official forums, but a well moderated one that's willing to cut the chaff (DUEL SWORDS, BEST IDEA EVAAAA!!!) actually will give you better choice of content to finally open up for a vote. In addition, you get a decent discussion that can help build the idea's strengths and cut down on the flaws.

So, a high level non-combat related update? Oh hell, that's easy.

For Slayer, there are six creature types that can only be "killed" using your skills and related tools (Golem - mining, Ent - woodcutting, Shark - fishing, Tanglethorn - farming) but these things attack back and weaken your skill level.

For Hunter, many of the "non-humanoid, non-boss" creatures of runescape (rock crab, unicorn, red spider, rat, dragon) now have a method of being "caught" with the hunter skill leaving a carcass that can be harvested using crafting for parts. High levels can hunt higher level creatures such as dragon.

For agility, magic and thieving (say, 90 in all three) there's a new "blink" ability, where if cast you select the location (not on the mini-map, but on play screen) you want to blink to. So long as there's a path to get to it (uh oh, how good is Jagex's path finding on this?) within 20 seconds then you can teleport to that location. Not revolutionary, but should be fun. Probably has a 1 minute cool down.

Oh, and my favorite: Using a crystal axe (70atk, 70 wc, 50 agil to wield), cut down the spirit tree (90 woodcutting) to get a spirit log. Using a crystal knife, carve the log into a Spirit Bow (90 Fletching). Dig up the spirit tree (90 farming) to get the spirit roots you can spin into spirit string (90 crafting). Use string with bow for spirit bow. If you don't dig up the tree, it'll regrow in one hour for you to get another log (crystal axe degrades one level doing this). Fletch those into 15 spirit shafts (degrades the crystal knife one level). Sing expired spirit seeds (used for letya teleport) into arrow tips (need 90 magic and prayer) in addition to phoenix feathers to complete it. All intermediate steps are untradeble products but the spirit bow and spirit arrow are tradeable. Useful weapon that teleblocks on successful attacks. Special attack reduces prayer or something else useful. Should be on par with chaotics so likely an 80 range, 80 agility and 80 prayer to wield.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Perhaps craft special rings or even something as a substitute in the Aura slot.

Popoto.~<3

*sigh*

Life isn't fair. People need to get over their false ideas that it is. There are a lot more considerations to what should be implemented then what is "fair".

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

*sigh*

That "High Level Suggestions" was great thread. It was well moderated, had great ideas and discussions about them. Plus, the ideas actually were being used in game. I mean, God Wars Dungeon was inspired directly by my suggestion in that thread so it's easy to see why I'm still excited about it even now.

That said, this "Mail in an Idea" is a slap in the face to what that thread and the suggestions forum is supposed to be doing. Yeah, we all make fun of the official forums, but a well moderated one that's willing to cut the chaff (DUEL SWORDS, BEST IDEA EVAAAA!!!) actually will give you better choice of content to finally open up for a vote. In addition, you get a decent discussion that can help build the idea's strengths and cut down on the flaws.

That's my point, and I do remember you posting on the HLS at one point. I too feel that this has, more or less, undermined the point of suggestions in the first place, as well as elaborate discussions about them from within the community. You're going to get Jagex's developers to take a close, metered, responsible look at the suggestion give it the "4Kids x One Piece treatment", without having the community really take part - it's a reversal of the open suggestion policy, in my eyes.

Life isn't fair. People need to get over their false ideas that it is. There are a lot more considerations to what should be implemented then what is "fair".

I don't recall saying "fair". What I meant was, is it right to hold a suggestions contest in the name of Runefest, whereas community-popular suggestions have gone mostly unacknowledged for years?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I think what Stonewall is trying to get at is, in life the people who jump through hurtles to get to a point of elitism in society such as someone specialized in knowing what the [bleep] he's talking about should have the say so. He is comparing these specialized individuals to the people who took the effort to attend Runefest so they're obviously going to get the chance to decide the ideas and we're all going to sit here and sulk in the reality of unfairness. I understand your point though, people who have maxed out and post great suggestions on the forums are probably going to have great suggestions but there is a reason that my great suggestions about politics mean jack [cabbage] because i'm not a politician who's jumped through hurtles to get to have a specialized politician status. /sociology, i actually payed attention in that class.

Low_C.png

I remember trolling that thread. Good times.

Many people forgot (or don't know) there's still a suggestion thread on rsof. It's just in the high level forum so most people cannot access it. Guess this goes back to Low_C's point

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

With Runefest just around the corner, this seems like it wont be taken very seriously.

To take in ideas, develop them to at least close to a final stage, and then present them would take more time in my mind. They should have urged this a couple months ago.

wessan.png

I was more of hoping that someone would come up with an idea that pushes rewards for high level Smithing and Crafting, but a change to Runecrafting would be nice too.

I produced a suggestion that borrows from Shattered Heart lore, and is targeted at Smiths/Craftsmen, but then I just read that they're not looking for too "universal" suggestions.

Back to the drawing board ...

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Ability to permanently repair barrows/nex at high smithing/crafting maybe like 90 for barrows, and 96 for nex armor. Perhaps crafting could repair ahrims/akrisae/virtus/pernix/karils, and smithing all the rest.

Also, for all we know Jagex already has an idea of what they want to do, and just waiting for someone to suggest what they thought of, I mean out of all the suggestions I'm sure someone would suggest what they want.

Pinata.png