Why are dresses and skirts worn less in modern times?

DragnFly

Because we have more perverts nowadays.

Romans.

Heheh. :twss:

Sadly I'm ignorant to that reference. Are you meaning the coins?

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I wear pants because I don't feel dressed properly in skirts. Had to wear one when I graduated high school and hated it. -_-

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

I think girls just moved to trouser-type clothing for daywear/winter as it is warmer, more weather friendly (eg winds etc), cheaper, more durable, offers pockets etc.

I do see plenty of skirts of varying length in spring/summer/fall Not that I take the time to study that kind of thing.

It makes perfect sense. Guys wear shorts and short-sleeves as well, and both sexes dress pretty similarly when it's cold and rainy.

Romans.

You know how horny they were?

Percentage-ly, we probably have the same perversions as the ye olde Romans. So it's not a "new problem".

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

My understanding is, as Omar said, they become the practical choice for women working at the home front during the first world war, something which simply doesn't done until then (ala the expression 'Who wears the pants in the relationship.') As such they became a symbol of female suffrage during that time, and were revived during the late 60s and early 70s by the 2nd wave feminists; their popularity has simply stuck. Also the rise in cheap clothing means that women can get flattering jeans and the like, while still retaining the durability and ease of wear (they've also become part of the unisex 'casual' uniform).

With the progression of woman's rights came the freedom to wear whatever the hell they want. Trends and styles change, and jeans/pants are obviously popular at this time. I like it when girls I'm with wear skirts, shorts, jogging pants, yoga pants and sometimes dresses. Anything with easy access. ;)

Romans.

You know how horny they were?

Percentage-ly, we probably have the same perversions as the ye olde Romans. So it's not a "new problem".

"Horny" doesn't describe the Romans in the least, considering there were brothels a stone's throw from most important buildings.

On topic, I do agree with Jord that the change to pants seems to be synonymous with the progression of women's rights, or possibly acting as a visible symbol in some way?

"Horny" doesn't describe the Romans in the least, considering there were brothels a stone's throw from most important buildings.

Why not? I'm not saying their entire life goal was to have sex for days on end, but, they led very sexual lives like nowadays. If aliens viewed every single internet page of our globe they would think modern society as 'horny' too. But it's not like we talk about it openly in Congress or make it obvious for the history books, but sex is here and was there...en masse.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Why not? I'm not saying their entire life goal was to have sex for days on end, but, they led very sexual lives like nowadays. If aliens viewed every single internet page of our globe they would think modern society as 'horny' too. But it's not like we talk about it openly in Congress or make it obvious for the history books, but sex is here and was there...en masse.

You're saying we're as horny as the Romans, just that it isn't out in the open? I guess that obviousness shouldn't measure to how strong a society feels for sex.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if modern society can put the Romans to shame if we were as open to it as they were.

Sun dresses are quite possibly one of the best things ever.

agreed

I feel like girls started wearing pants to break away from the stereotypical home-maker personality, but now they do it to show off their asses.

Whatevs. Sundresses need to be more common.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

If it was socially acceptable, you'd only see me in skirts or jeans. Jeans for when it's cold enough, skirts every other time to let the boys breathe.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

The way fashion has changed reflects societal change - the feminist movments did a lot for fashion. It used to be 'traditional' to wear dresses and skirts, but with feminists fighting these figurative parameters of archaic society, it gave many women confidence - a confidence that continues today, which is why I think they seem to be worn less.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

The way fashion has changed reflects societal change - the feminist movments did a lot for fashion. It used to be 'traditional' to wear dresses and skirts, but with feminists fighting these figurative parameters of archaic society, it gave many women confidence - a confidence that continues today, which is why I think they seem to be worn less.

Interestingly in high fashion atm they are trying to bring back capes AND are playing around with male skirts, so presumably given a few years men in skirts will begin to become quite a common place thing.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Reason: as already mentioned, a liberalisation of societal values and whatnot, allowing both genders greater freedom of dress.

As such, the dress and skirt has been increasingly phased out in favour of jeans and, increasingly, hotpants. Frankly, I do not like either; they aren't flattering on most femmes, especially hotpants, which more often than not just flaunt cellulite. As a means of attraction, they backfire horrendously.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Well.. As a female I can say that for me has nothing to do with feminism or anything, though this may have been the case pre-60s.

Jeans are just a lot more practical, less hassle (overall easier). They're also a lot warmer in winter.

Sure wearing skirts and dresses is fun for the occasion, but in everyday life it's just not very practical.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Reason: as already mentioned, a liberalisation of societal values and whatnot, allowing both genders greater freedom of dress.

This, but i still prefer girls in skirts (not skanky cause that's stupid and degrading) and dresses over jeans. But truthfully imo they can do whatever they want.

Dheginsea.png

I once met a man named Jesus at a Home Depot. Is this the Messiah returned at last?

And i once beat someone named Jesus in a chess game. Does that mean I'm smarter than the messiah?

BOW TO THE NEW MESSIAH

Maybe a president who didn't believe our soldiers were going to heaven, might be a little less willing to get them killed. ~ Bill Maher

Barrows drops: 2 Karil's Coifs (on double drop day)

92,150th person to 99 defense