firemaking's curse

turothking

ikr, i already stated thhis in an earlier post in this thread ;)

So that's where I read about it. :oops: My apologies, I read through this thread earlier and then browsed some other threads. By the time I came back to read the new replies in this one I wanted to share the information, but had forgotten where I'd obtained it from (I figured from the 'behind the scenes' thread). I'll add in the credit where it's due. ;)

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing. (Edmund Burke)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To bad about the way the left click is arranged. I still feel that lighting would have made more sense since the game doesn't do it for you (so it costs more time to left click 28 times instead of once). Still an improvement over clicking the stupid tinderbox, so I'll take it.

And yeah, there are other ways to train fm, if your not too concerned about actually getting to the quest sometime this year.

I'll still be cool with it in the end though. I knew what I was getting into when I got my quest cape, and with this game. I'm done with my favourite skill now (except to improve my house), and my clan is pretty much a constant thing, so quests are the last thing in the game I actually get excited for.

My only condition for this to not be upset at a later date, is the puzzles better be pretty freaking devious. I do quests for the lore, and for the puzzles, so this one better be a whooper. There are so few quests that have puzzles that are actually a challenge, beyond ones that are trial and error (if the only way to make a puzzle hard is to make it time consuming to solve, your doing it wrong).

I couyld go for someything like a puzzle out of my 'false logic puzzles' book. The ones at the end are like 20 clues, 4 sets of information to find (for multiple cases), with a few false clues sprinkled in that have to be indtified before the puzzle can be solved. They normally take an hour or three to get through each, though I bet I would be faster now (but I can't get any new puzzles of the same time to test that on sadly, so I have to wait a few years to totally forget the solutions so I can do them again).

ikr, i already stated thhis in an earlier post in this thread ;)

So that's where I read about it. :oops: My apologies, I read through this thread earlier and then browsed some other threads. By the time I came back to read the new replies in this one I wanted to share the information, but had forgotten where I'd obtained it from (I figured from the 'behind the scenes' thread). I'll add in the credit where it's due. ;)

haha dont worry about it :P

Turothking.png

Even if I end up chopping all the logs for 80-90 myself (which I will because I refuse to spend money on a skill I never use)................

I have no use for an adze, unless I wanted to train firemaking super slow

:blink:

Also, not everyone has the slayer to handle the jadinko lair.

Don't need 80 slayer to chop/burn the roots.

Anyways, I'm all for Jagex making the quest cape more prestigious. Firemaking is useless yes, but at least it's one of the fastest, cheap 99s.

Mercifull put it nicely.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

I feel like this wouldn't be an issue if people didn't suffer from the belief that the quest cape is supposed to be "easy" to get. Or the belief that grinding to 90 firemaking is any different from grinding to level 90 in any other skill for the sake of "completion."

If you don't want to grind to 90 firemaking, then don't. I logged in today to start training firemaking in the Jadinko lair, got bored after about 5 minutes, and decided I'm not going to get 90 firemaking. Simple as that-- no one's holding a gun to your head, forcing you to get the quest cape. It's just your OCD acting up, making you feel bad for failing to complete of every aspect of the game-- a feat which is impossible to maintain forever.

77yLQy8.png

All people complain about is that RS gets too easy but when something "hard" is released they complain about it being too hard.

It's just the way the RS community works I guess.

No, that's not even close to what people are complaining about. This is:

The problem is how it's such a pointless and artificial increase.

All of a sudden a quest requires a skill that's 90?

The last ones were like 80 or something and those were high. If these kinds of increases are done in the future, soon many skills require 90s or even 99s for quests.

And it's a cop-out. Instead of actually making a hard quest, they make the requirements high. Not many people complain when they release a hard boss (Aside from the elite players who have access to god mode elite-level content complaining that it's too easy), but they do complain when a quest is given high requirements for no other reason than to call it 'high level content'.

Nobody is complaining that the requirements were raised. They're complaining that they were raised 10 levels and close to 4 million experience higher than the previous highest, in a skill that is absolutely useless outside of one item. It's fast, yes, but questing used to be the one area of the game that didn't involve grinding for the sake of grinding, so of course questers are going to complain about it.

You do not have to get the Quest Cape if you do not want to. If you think the requirement is out of your capabilites then simply do not it. If you are complaining about this requirement, why have you not voiced your concerns when the requirements 91 Runecrafting, 95 Summoning and 93 Slayer were released for the Task Master Emote.

#nonmaxedproblems

It's an incentive to train. People make incentives to others all the time. But they're never mandatory. I don't see the big deal.

85 Would probably be a bit more acceptable in my opinion, but 90 is just a tad bit too high to the average quester. Still, 85 + curly roots shouldn't take long for me. (assuming the reward doesn't suck)

Some quests are not directed at the "average quester". There are many of us that like the challenge of rising to meet the requirements of a new quest. Many of my least favorite skills are at their current level for only this reason. Instead of complaining about it, just go do the work and get the level. Level 90 really isn't that hard, if you apply yourself. I, for one, will be working on level 90 myself in the days ahead so that I am ready for the quest.

I think the problem is the skill that has to be trained, rather than the level itself, I mean what the hell is firemaking useful for anyways? Besides the bonus with the hand cannon

It has a couple uses. It is very nice in Dungeoneering when trying to cook high level fish (salve eels and above) and, apparently, there is a quest coming that it will be useful for ;)

Binyam.png

its use is minimal at best, to what degree does the level of the fire impact the success rate at cooking in dungeoneering? In my personal experience its not amazingly different.

Also even if it did impact cooking greatly its only useful if a high tiered tree is nearby (since there's typically better things to blow 100k coins on then firewood).

Its still by far the most useless skill - former uses were opening dungeoneering doors and effigies and its new use is quest requirement

When I did it a while back, it was relatively noticeable. I'd burn a lot of cave morays/blue crabs on tier 1 logs, not as many on, say, tier 7. And there were usually a lot of trees at that tier. Of course, I only did this in a solo dungeon, and rarely needed to gather food to begin with... :razz:

It's a use, but not a very good one. The only other fairly niche use is cremation, but I'm not sure if the quality of the log affects the quality of your loot. You just get more FM experience unless you're burning high level shades.

Interesting that you'd being up Pokemon though. Burn is a very useful status condition since it also halves physical attack. That could be something for mages/rangers. Other games have it doing damage over time and distracting enemies (What with the whole 'being on fire' thing). Even then, I'd hope they add something like that for all levels and just have the truly impressive stuff for 90+. It would be asinine to have FM be absolutely useless to everyone but the people who can finish this [bleep] of a quest.

The skill could do with a rewrite.

What the skill needs is to have more interaction with other things in RS apart from just setting things on Fire. At least make it more efficient..

Perhaps some of the things they could implement:

1. Ability to use Flame catapult rounds in CW, which adds a Damage over time (DoT) effect to all those hit by it. Higher Firemaking levels increases the damage of the DoT as well as it's blast radius (not necessary the entire shot's blast radius, DoT alone should be enough). Perhaps apply it to cannonballs from the Cannon too.

2. Ability to use lower tiered logs to burn a certain shade, such as being able to burn Fiyr Shade with Pyre logs made from Yew or lower.

2a. Increasing the likelihood of Higher keys dropping with higher FM skill. Increase chance at TT items in Columbarium.

3. Increasing the damage of Fire based non-Rune based weapons, such as Chinchompas, Salamanders, etc.

4. Ability to make and/or wield a Smoke Staff.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

And it's a cop-out. Instead of actually making a hard quest, they make the requirements high. Not many people complain when they release a hard boss (Aside from the elite players who have access to god mode elite-level content complaining that it's too easy), but they do complain when a quest is given high requirements for no other reason than to call it 'high level content'.

How do you know it won't be a hard quest?

hzvjpwS.gif

i suspect it might be a hard or at least a challanging quest. and i also suspect u unlock a minigame or something similar, that might require some skills to do. of course we wont see untill the quest is released but thats what i think and hope :)

Turothking.png

I call it "Being a hypocrite". If it's easy, I win, if not, I stay clear of General until people have forgotten about it. :mrgreen:

I've just been comparing it to Deadliest Catch, as another comparatively high-level quest that came more or less out of nowhere, and that they let us choose the name/personality of a character for. To tell the truth, I'm just sick of all the 'elite content' that they've been adding. They're ignoring everything else.

its use is minimal at best, to what degree does the level of the fire impact the success rate at cooking in dungeoneering? In my personal experience its not amazingly different.

Also even if it did impact cooking greatly its only useful if a high tiered tree is nearby (since there's typically better things to blow 100k coins on then firewood).

At level 99 cooking, I can burn up to half of a load of blue crabs on lower level wood...even t7 or t8. If I have Grave Crawler (t10), I usually burn between 1 and 4 blue crab per load. Imo, that is a HUGE difference. As far as your second comment, perhaps when you stop dunging solo or with low level players, you will notice the value, and availability, of higher tiered resources. If you can't cut/fletch/burn t10 wood, you won't see much (or any) of it. When you (or a teammate) have the levels required, you will see resources at that level.

Binyam.png

How clear is the change? I can see people not realizing the requirement has been nerfed, training to 90 Firemaking, then finding out after the quest comes out that they didn't need to...

Anyway, I don't do quests, but I'm going for 99 Firemaking at the moment, so thanks for telling me about curly roots. :)