New Skill...

juggler1

I thought if the carpentry skill ever comes out, the next skill could be Sailing. It would be a nce addition to the carpentry skill. ONly problem is I'm f2p and don't feel like giving the idea to Jagex cause they'll make it p2p. :cry: Anyway, tell me what you think of it, and maybe if we get enough people sending in feedback to jagex they might do it. :lol:

i always thought a sailing/piracy skill would be cool. you could use carpentry to build a ship, smithing to build nails, cannons, and canonballs. crafting would let you make a sail, and your sailing/piracy skill would let you navigate around sea hazards and other ships.

I couldn't care less if he was Andrew Gower himself, I just don't like arrogant smegheads.
*in the voice of the comic book guy from the simpsons* best. quote. EVER! :thumbsup:

Nope, wouldn't work. Its not a skill. If anything, it'd be a minigame. That'd be like having castlewars a skill instead of a game.

av.png

People just need to learn to share crabs.
I'd prefer my nether regions clear of diseases, thank you very much.
just turn off accept aids

lol...it would be pretty cool if they had a battle on ships...but they already have the trawler stuff...and how the heck would u be able to play it (with such a limited screen space?)

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

One queston. How the f*ck will jagex make naval battles using only javascript?

look at everything else they have done

And it's Java, not JavaScript. Two completely different programming environments.

siganizq4.gif

One queston. How the f*ck will jagex make naval battles using only javascript?

look at everything else they have done

And it's Java, not JavaScript. Two completely different programming environments.

Beat me to it. :(

Anyways a minigame like that woulod be fun and interesting, you could be pirates and board other ships aswell to fight them. and shooting cannons and stuff, would be heaps of fun.

Pier pressure?

I can just see you being threatened by a wharf or jetty because you're a teleporter. Yes, I can see a large wooden wharf uprooting itself from the shore, walking over to you and slapping you in the back of the head for teleporting.

:lol:

What would you do?

Selling rare oak ship! 6m!

then...go and sail it on a lake?

Dont forget the only tranportation we have is teleportation atm..and the carpet into the desert.

Atleast wait until cars and motorcycles are released until you start suggestion boats..sheesh.

sig1zs0.jpg

De_Pk - Level 117 - Banned September 30th '06.

What would you do?

Dont forget the only tranportation we have is teleportation atm..and the carpet into the desert.

Atleast wait until cars and motorcycles are released until you start suggestion boats..sheesh.

lol, all I did was introduce the idea and ask for feedback on how to make it work. I didn't have any great plan for how to do it. But if they can figure a way to make it work it would be cool :)

ok, to clarify some concepts and answer some questions here:

when building a ship, you need to use different skills only because the ship is made of different parts. you do need at least a sail, but a cannon is optional. mainly, youll need a mid to high level carpentry skill if you want to build your own ships. they probably wouldnt sell for much because they would be so common. probably a few k gp for the smallest ones, to maybe 1 or 2 mil for the biggest ones. you would be able to build bigger ships with higher carpentry skills. you would get sloops at low level, frigates at mid level, and warships at high level. the biggest differences between the ships are that the bigger ones hold more, can hold more cannons and require more people to operate efficiently. if you were going to sell a boat, you would have to sell the "deed" to it, not the actual ship itself. you would also only be able to own one ship at a time, maybe two. you wouldnt really need more than that anyway. when you visit a port destination, your ship will automatically appear in the marina after you talk to the local harbor master. you can get onto another persons ship through invite only. it will work in a similar fashion to the trade system. right click person X, select "sail with XXXX", they right click you and select "invite to sail YYYY". once a part of the crew, you sail for one trip. you can sail again by repeating the request to sail process.

you would gain your sailing xp by safely making it to your destination, which you pick from a map before setting sail. once you pick your destination (you can only pick destinations that you have sailed to/from. you get one destination in a quest that starts you off on the skill, like runecrafting. then you must walk/tele to other ports and talk to the harbor master to get a new destination added to your sea chart) you get a chart that tells you where to sail to make it there the quickest. you dont have to follow the path, but theres more dangers the farther away you stray from the path. the more dangers you face and live through, the more xp you gain, plus a bonus for just getting from point A to B, based on the distance you go.

if you have a cannon on board as well as a grappling hook (coil of rope and a smithed steel/iron hook assembly) then you can shoot at and board another player (and a few npc)'s vessel and fight them. you win when you either sink their ship with the cannon or kill them all in combat. then you get an amount of whatever everyone was carrying, be it cargo, gp, armor, etc.

of course, without some kind of seafaring merchant task, the high seas would be all pirates, pking other innocent players. each destination port has a special market that trades lots of goods via sea. you go to these markets, and put a deposit down on a contract to transport some goods for a price per unit, then its loaded onto your boat and you sail it to the destination(provided you have sailed there before) and get paid for the trip plus you get your deposit back when you arrive. this is a good way to get money and would deter pk'ing pirates because when they sink a merchanting ship like that, all they get is a section of the ships cargo, which they can sell off at any port for a lower price. if your crew is successful, you all get a cut of the pay. if not successfull, well you get a free trip back to port and you lose the deposit you put down for the cargo.

so you see, this could be just as involved a skill as combat if you put soe work into it. also, a very lucrative one.

I couldn't care less if he was Andrew Gower himself, I just don't like arrogant smegheads.
*in the voice of the comic book guy from the simpsons* best. quote. EVER! :thumbsup:

What would you do?

Boats were made centuries upon centuries before cars and motorcycles, but of course you knew that.

i really like neogeos thoughts, he almost has it all planned out. :shock: Anyway I was thinking they could keep merchant ships safe by making a 'wilderness' for ships maybe above Morytania. That way people who want to fight can have big sea battles up north.

• 3 years later...
MY BAD SORRY!!!! I DIDN'T REALISE THAT THIS TOPIC WAS MADE BACK IN 2006 sorry!! ignore!! i thought it was some kind of joke... i mean sailing... lol

Dude...

MY BAD SORRY!!!! I DIDN'T REALISE THAT THIS TOPIC WAS MADE BACK IN 2006 sorry!! ignore!! i thought it was some kind of joke... i mean sailing... lol

Dude...

'Nuff said.

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.