KONY 2012

Gradeskip

Here's this 30-mins video, watch it to know what it is about, it's worth it.

I suggest you to watch it on YouTube as it is quite big to have it embed on the forums.

I'm posting this here and will be happy if at least one person watches it. :thumbup:

Spread the word.

~Skippy <3:

w3bi.png

7ahl.pngZr.png1buy.png

eblo.png

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished watching it, it's objective is to make a war criminal, Joseph Kony's name famous and his crimes, which include murder, enslavement, sexual enslavement and rape. The outcome they're looking for is to make him so well known that US continues funding and supporting the hunt for the capture of Kony,

tFtfA.jpg

I just finished watching it, it's objective is to make a war criminal, Joseph Kony's name famous and his crimes, which include murder, enslavement, sexual enslavement and rape. The outcome they're looking for is to make him so well known that US continues funding and supporting the hunt for the capture of Kony,

Oh no, I don't know about that. I mean, this is the first paragraph from Wiki:

Joseph Kony (born 1961 in Odek, Uganda[1]) is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader, head of the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a group engaged in a violent campaign to establish theocratic government based on the Ten Commandments throughout Uganda.[1] The LRA say that God has sent spirits to communicate this mission directly to Kony.[4]

Sounds like a cause many Americans would admire. :rolleyes:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Are people seriously only finding out about this now? That's pathetic. Nevertheless, this hype will just blow over in a week and Kony will be forgotten by the American people again.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Are people seriously only finding out about this now? That's pathetic. Nevertheless, this hype will just blow over in a week and Kony will be forgotten by the American people again.

I really don't see that being the case, Gabe.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

You don't live in the U.S. Hype comes and goes fast, and this will be no different. Americans think it helps to advertise this shit and that it will make a difference when it doesn't. They will all loose interest in this quickly like they always do.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

You don't live in the U.S. Hype comes and goes fast, and this will be no different. Americans think it helps to advertise this shit and that it will make a difference when it doesn't. They will all loose interest in this quickly like they always do.

You're the exception though, right?

You're the exception though, right?

I'm involved in activities related to international affairs and politics unlike many other Americans, so yes. I would be an exception.

sig2-3.jpg

This. It's not just the states though, but people in general.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I agree with Newb. If anything, look at the power behind our new generation.

https://www.facebook.com/events/366730330013843/366894043330805/

This event was created a mere 5 hours ago, yet it already has over 1500 people who have agreed to go. That's up from around 1200 when I checked some 5-10 minutes ago. There are nearly 25000 people invited who have no signed up as "going" yet. That's 25000 people who will hear about this shortly. Less than 60 people have said they will "Maybe" attend.

Since I began writing this post, roughly another 100 people have agreed to go.

My facebook friend, who is currently a high school senior, started a similar event about an hour ago. Over 750 people have signed up to go with nearly 1000 invited. This event, although far more local, proves a similar point.

And now, checking back on the first event, a whole 5 minutes after I wrote the sentence "That's up from around 1200 when I checked some 5-10 minutes ago", there are just over 1700 people as "Going".

Two minutes pass, over 1800.

Skeptics can say all they want about the cynically misdirected nature of much of the American public. But through the same ideas and tools that have overthrown dictatorships in the Arab World, a much stronger force could make a much bigger impact. To adopt a defeatist attitude in the midst of such a remarkable phenomenon is not only upsetting, it is downright wrong. One does not need to oppose an idea to weigh it down.

Kony is an atrocious man. To be sure; I don't think anyone at this point is going to challenge that. And I fully support the cause to bring him to justice. However, if we look in the massive timeline of history, he is just another "evil" dictator. History will remember him as another Nero, or a Robespierre, or a Hitler. What future generations will find much more significant, and what we will one day be proud to wear the badge of, is the never before seen power that the global community has. For the first time since globalization has reshaped the course of history, the power is in the hands of the many, instead of the few.

The potential is there, but it is divided amongst an disunited people. And now, before our very eyes, is another chapter in the story of a sleeping giant awakening an seizing the mantle of history. What future generations will remember is not Kony, but the ideas, the technology, and the people who brought him down.

The event currently numbers over 2400 people as "Going". That's double the amount from when I started writing this post about 20 minutes ago. 5 hours ago, there were none.

Hype is one thing. But the question is are you going to accept this as hype, and watch as the hopes and dreams of hundreds of thousands fizzle into ash, while you laugh and gloat that you were right? Or will you fulfill our generation's god-blessed ability to unite and function as a Herculean community that has never before walked the earth?

2600+

This event was created a mere 5 hours ago, yet it already has over 1500 people who have agreed to go. That's up from around 1200 when I checked some 5-10 minutes ago. There are nearly 25000 people invited who have no signed up as "going" yet. That's 25000 people who will hear about this shortly. Less than 60 people have said they will "Maybe" attend.

My facebook friend, who is currently a high school senior, started a similar event about an hour ago. Over 750 people have signed up to go with nearly 1000 invited. This event, although far more local, proves a similar point.

And now, checking back on the first event, a whole 5 minutes after I wrote the sentence "That's up from around 1200 when I checked some 5-10 minutes ago", there are just over 1700 people as "Going".

Skeptics can say all they want about the cynically misdirected nature of much of the American public. But through the same ideas and tools that have overthrown dictatorships in the Arab World, a much stronger force could make a much bigger impact. To adopt a defeatist attitude in the midst of such a remarkable phenomenon is not only upsetting, it is downright wrong. One does not need to oppose an idea to weigh it down.

Kony is an atrocious man. To be sure; I don't think anyone at this point is going to challenge that. And I fully support the cause to bring him to justice. However, if we look in the massive timeline of history, he is just another "evil" dictator. History will remember him as another Nero, or a Robespierre, or a Hitler. What future generations will find much more significant, and what we will one day be proud to wear the badge of, is the never before seen power that the global community has. For the first time since globalization has reshaped the course of history, the power is in the hands of the many, instead of the few.

The potential is there, but it is divided amongst an disunited people. And now, before our very eyes, is another chapter in the story of a sleeping giant awakening an seizing the mantle of history. What future generations will remember is not Kony, but the ideas, the technology, and the people who brought him down.

The event currently numbers over 2400 people as "Going". That's double the amount from when I started writing this post about 20 minutes ago. 5 hours ago, there were none.

Hype is one thing. But the question is are you going to accept this as hype, and watch as the hopes and dreams of hundreds of thousands fizzle into ash, while you laugh and gloat that you were right? Or will you fulfill our generation's god-blessed ability to unite and function as a community that has never before walked the earth?

2600+

Saying you are going requires one click of a button. Actually going requires you to put some effort into in which many won't do.

I won't get optimistic about this.

sig2-3.jpg

Hype is one thing. But the question is are you going to accept this as hype, and watch as the hopes and dreams of hundreds of thousands fizzle into ash, while you laugh and gloat that you were right? Or will you fulfill our generation's god-blessed ability to unite and function as a community that has never before walked the earth?

2600+

Saying you are going requires one click of a button. Actually going requires you to put some effort into in which many won't do.

I won't get optimistic about this.

I'm not going to argue whether or not these people will actually go. That's pointless, and only time will tell and our predictions will mean nothing. In fact, in a larger sense, they do mean nothing. In fact, the point isn't even whether or not they will go, but the fact that they can. They are people who previously, 5 hours ago, did not have the ability to act, and now have both the knowledge, incentive, and planning to do so.

It's about the power of communication that unites us into a world power. Action is another step, and is one no one can argue for or against right now, while so much remains unproven. What we can analyze is what this means.

Because even if you are pessimistic about a new global power, the gears of time will churn anyway.

Action is better than talk and all I see is talk here.

Hold on to your post until the Facebook group does something.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'm not going to wait nearly 2 months for superficial proof to tell people that a cause is worth believing in.

Go ahead and hold reservations, that's fine. But to not try is to fail. And looking beyond the scope of a present crisis, it is to fail to accept that each one of us has the power to change history. I think we as a public are too used to hearing empty promises or see our efforts fall apart. But to accept that we are powerless is to submit to tyranny.

Also of worthy note, the cited Facebook group is not the only one. It is one of many and is likely concentrated in my regional area. Imagine that for each region there is likely another one. There are many more supporters than the example suggests.

This man KONY, also sometimes referred to as 'Shenbatu' must be stopped at all costs! I for one hope the CIA sends the dogs on his ass as well as a team of special forces to put a bullet in his knee.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I'm not going to wait nearly 2 months for superficial proof to tell people that a cause is worth believing in.

I can call the fact that people said they are going superficial proof as it hasn't happened yet either. It's just another cause that's floating around like finding a cure for cancer and animal abuse.

Go ahead and hold reservations, that's fine. But to not try is to fail. And looking beyond the scope of a present crisis, it is to fail to accept that each one of us has the power to change history. I think we as a public are too used to hearing empty promises or see our efforts fall apart. But to accept that we are powerless is to submit to tyranny.

Actions are better then words. Nobody is saying anyone is powerless. I'm just saying that this is another hype that will be forgotten within a week.

Also of worthy note, the cited Facebook group is not the only one. It is one of many and is likely concentrated in my regional area. Imagine that for each region there is likely another one. There are many more supporters than the example suggests.

I would assume it's not seeing as this fad reached tif. I have one in my local area but I don't believe anything special will come out of it.

sig2-3.jpg

I can call the fact that people said they are going superficial proof as it hasn't happened yet either. It's just another cause that's floating around like finding a cure for cancer and animal abuse.

Actions are better then words. Nobody is saying anyone is powerless. I'm just saying that this is another hype that will be forgotten within a week.

I would assume it's not seeing as this fad reached tif. I have one in my local area but I don't believe anything special will come out of it.

You are saying that this is just another banal evil that will quickly escape the public's eye.

That's not what I'm arguing against.

We have been given a weapon. It's not a rubber chicken. This weapon has been proved to be effective. People have risen up and united to wield it to promote a common good. Now, the hilt has fallen to us. This is about Kony being a terrible man who should be stopped. At the same time, this is also not about that. It is more important about the fact that people have power to make a difference. Saying that people will forfeit this power after the "hype" dies down is saying that people are powerless. And it's accepting the fact that each and every one of us, as individuals, had the cowardice to remain in the shadows and allow darker days to reign.

We live at the cornerstone of a historical era, where everyday people have the ability to combine and make a difference like never before. It's not about how many times the public has failed in the past to stay focused. It's about the one time people were able to wield evil's bane and drive away oppression and tyranny.

It's been done before just recently. And now we find the opportunity for a people far richer, far more endowed, far stronger to fill the same role and prove that we have the ability to change our world for the better.

It's not about hype. It's about manifest destiny.

This man KONY, also sometimes referred to as 'Shenbatu' must be stopped at all costs! I for one hope the CIA sends the dogs on his ass as well as a team of special forces to put a bullet in his knee.

You do realize he's been hunted for many years now right?

sig2-3.jpg

It's been done before just recently

It's not about hype. It's about manifest destiny.

Can you explain the bolded part and I'm wondering if you even understand the meaning "manifest destiny" because it doesn't make any sense how you just used it.

sig2-3.jpg

What I don't get is what "knowing" about it will do? Are we going to donate more money to the CIA like how we do for our charities? Should we go and start an "A-Team" group to find this guy?

siggy3s.jpg