Ye Tip.It Times - 1st April 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to @tripsis :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm so buying that gaze when my points come in.

I'm getting it now! :twss:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I bought the Infernal Gaze and I took it to Corp, but I was disappointed when I saw that Corp did indeed reduce the hits of the laser. Now I feel dumb, wasting tens of thousands of points on something that didn't even work the way it's supposed to. I blame Tip.It for my loss and I would like some sort of compensation, because I would not have gotten the aura if I had known that Corp did reduce the damage of the attack.

Angrily yours,

Zaaps

The Eastern Lands April Fool doesn't work because why would Tip.It be announcing a RuneScape update? Only the official website would do that. It needed to be framed as something Tip.It would do, like the "Jolly Old Bean" quest guide. So, fail.

The DYK is cute though.

Quote:

"Large clans can arrange wars against each other, but without smaller clans to fight for profit, they are losing a lot of members enough for some clans even to have to close down. The smaller clans arent present in the wilderness, because theres no one they can fight, such as smaller groups or solo PKers."

So in other words, the whole purpose of the Grieferness is to, well, grief. Gang up on single players, gang up on smaller gangs. Frak that whole "honour" stuff as long as you can find a significantly weaker victim to take down without any risk at all.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader what that means about the typical "PKer"'s mindset.

The Eastern Lands April Fool doesn't work because why would Tip.It be announcing a RuneScape update? Only the official website would do that. It needed to be framed as something Tip.It would do, like the "Jolly Old Bean" quest guide. So, fail.

Hence I portrayed it as a skill review of what a skill COULD be (and, tbh, should be)... Yes, I used April Fools to squeeze in a fake thing, but the article is featured for a week, not just one day... So that doesn't take away from the opportunity to show, and perhaps inspire, what a review of a skill-to-be could be like...

Fail's on you tbh for not getting that...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

RE: Dead Land, Dead Content Article: I honestly don't know what world you are playing on, but there are people in the Wilderness at much higher levels than 5. I run into them all the time while hunting penguins and almost always get killed by someone who likes to kill unarmed people for fun. I hate the wilderness being back and hate penguin hunting or star hunting even more if I have to go into the wilderness at all. I disagree that the area is dead with no content, it has plenty of places to explore but the darn PKers won't let anyone explore anything, they're always in the way, killing everyone in sight. I want nothing more that pk free worlds again! Not everyone pks so not everyone shoudl be subjected to those hateful people who do nothing but pk.

"Oh I love God, he's so deliciously evil!" ~Stewie, Family Guy

"If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am" ~Captain Blackbeard

"If it ain't fun, yer doin' it wrong" ~Pirates vs Ninjas Clan Motto

Dead Land Dead Content:

The general concept is the right one. Resources have to be added to revitalize the wilderness. But this mustn’t be done thoughtlessly, for other problems will arise if done so. The correct balance has to be found, or other groups of players will find themselves to be annoyed at these changes. Non-PvP content should never be exclusive to PvP or it will exclude those players not interested in PvP, as they will be disadvantaged either way.

Never say never... (Isn't that the point here?)

If they put stuff in both Pvp and non-Pvp, -> now. That's how it is now. If coal was only available in the wilderness, people would mine coal in the wilderness. But they don't. If you put something both places, people won't go to the wilderness one. Unless you make it really really really really really rare outside of the wilderness and/or with like a 70 hour respawn, people will just ignore the wilderness one(s) for obtainment purposes and use the other one(s). There needs to be some element of pure exclusivity that draws people there, or people simply won't go.

For instance, if there was a boss monster out there that required like 15 people wearing top end gear to kill that dropped something extraordinarily rare, some people would go out there to kill it, and other people would go out there to kill them.

Or like, multi-log trees or something. A store that sold really good exclusive stuff. Stores that bought what would otherwise be useless junk for ridiculous prices. Or a store that stocked something super awesome only available once per 5 wilderness agility laps. Stuff that makes it worth going out there. People will go out there if properly incentivised. As they used to when there was incentive out there. Putting stuff somewhere else takes away this incentive. If you want the rare thing they put out there, go get it. If you aren't willing to risk going out to get it, then don't. Just don't come whining that you couldn't get the rare thing because it was too dangerous to get. If you don't want to have the risk, you shouldn't get the reward. Ultra high risk needs an ultra high reward. The ultra high rewards should also have a corresponding ultra high risk.

Quote:

"Large clans can arrange wars against each other, but without smaller clans to fight for profit, they are losing a lot of members – enough for some clans even to have to close down. The smaller clans aren’t present in the wilderness, because there’s no one they can fight, such as smaller groups or solo PKers."

So in other words, the whole purpose of the Grieferness is to, well, grief. Gang up on single players, gang up on smaller gangs. Frak that whole "honour" stuff as long as you can find a significantly weaker victim to take down without any risk at all.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader what that means about the typical "PKer"'s mindset.

Well, in a way, yes. That's how the wilderness works. It's all about never knowing where the next attack might come from, if someone might betray you, etc. The thrill of ruthlessness. It's not my type of thing, and looks like it isn't yours either, but is it so bad? If the wilderness only has players in there who are happy with the way things work, instead of being forced to go there to do some activity they can't do anywhere else, what does it matter? They won't be bothering you. Each to their own I say, as long as they're not bothering others.

RE: Dead Land, Dead Content Article: I honestly don't know what world you are playing on, but there are people in the Wilderness at much higher levels than 5. I run into them all the time while hunting penguins and almost always get killed by someone who likes to kill unarmed people for fun. I hate the wilderness being back and hate penguin hunting or star hunting even more if I have to go into the wilderness at all. I disagree that the area is dead with no content, it has plenty of places to explore but the darn PKers won't let anyone explore anything, they're always in the way, killing everyone in sight. I want nothing more that pk free worlds again! Not everyone pks so not everyone shoudl be subjected to those hateful people who do nothing but pk.

Trust me, I've been killed often enough on World 60, on all wilderness levels. But it's rather the rare exception, even if an annoying one. Apart from that, there is few to make people go there, even if there were no PKers - and, you should keep in mind that the wilderness is, after all, designed to be a pvp area. And your arguments are exactly why I've said the wilderness shouldn't feature unique content. You can either make PK free worlds and have the normal worlds offer the big incentives (There are some issues with that though, such as a lot of work going into maintaining those worlds, plus some design issues). Or, as would probably be the easier way, just don't have unique content in the wilderness, so anyone who doesn't like PvP doesn't have to go there, but at the same time offer big incentives for those who *are* willing to go.

Dead Land Dead Content:

The general concept is the right one. Resources have to be added to revitalize the wilderness. But this mustn’t be done thoughtlessly, for other problems will arise if done so. The correct balance has to be found, or other groups of players will find themselves to be annoyed at these changes. Non-PvP content should never be exclusive to PvP or it will exclude those players not interested in PvP, as they will be disadvantaged either way.

Never say never... (Isn't that the point here?)

If they put stuff in both Pvp and non-Pvp, -> now. That's how it is now. If coal was only available in the wilderness, people would mine coal in the wilderness. But they don't. If you put something both places, people won't go to the wilderness one. Unless you make it really really really really really rare outside of the wilderness and/or with like a 70 hour respawn, people will just ignore the wilderness one(s) for obtainment purposes and use the other one(s). There needs to be some element of pure exclusivity that draws people there, or people simply won't go.

For instance, if there was a boss monster out there that required like 15 people wearing top end gear to kill that dropped something extraordinarily rare, some people would go out there to kill it, and other people would go out there to kill them.

Or like, multi-log trees or something. A store that sold really good exclusive stuff. Stores that bought what would otherwise be useless junk for ridiculous prices. Or a store that stocked something super awesome only available once per 5 wilderness agility laps. Stuff that makes it worth going out there. People will go out there if properly incentivised. As they used to when there was incentive out there. Putting stuff somewhere else takes away this incentive. If you want the rare thing they put out there, go get it. If you aren't willing to risk going out to get it, then don't. Just don't come whining that you couldn't get the rare thing because it was too dangerous to get. If you don't want to have the risk, you shouldn't get the reward. Ultra high risk needs an ultra high reward. The ultra high rewards should also have a corresponding ultra high risk.

I don't think it needs pure exclusivity. Simply higher, worthwhile rewards are enough. You are right if you say that if you put something in both places, that people won't go - if it's not worth it. If the wilderness resource is the one that yields more profit, of course people will go there. It's enough of an incentive.

Having a bunch of exclusive stuff would surely work better as an incentive. But then you have the problem that you're forcing players into pvp who don't really want that. This might not be a problem for you personally, if you don't have any qualms about PvP, but it is for others.

Quote:

"Large clans can arrange wars against each other, but without smaller clans to fight for profit, they are losing a lot of members enough for some clans even to have to close down. The smaller clans arent present in the wilderness, because theres no one they can fight, such as smaller groups or solo PKers."

You mean... Easy profit is good? It's the same kind of mindset that drives most of the game, the only difference is how it's earned; Killing other players. The fact that it's PKers vs Skillers is on Jagex's head, blame them instead of blaming the players that take advantage of it.

What they really should work on is giving PKers an incentive to PK one another. Not a half-assed reward system like the 2008 model, but something to reward players for taking a risk.

I absolutely love the Orient concept. Ironically, just a few minutes ago I was recording a video with a friend where we mildly discussed what could be done to improve the content and gameplay of RuneScape, (and in doing so, save it from these joke of additions like squeal of fortune which are slowly killing it). The thing I love about the Orient idea is how it adds such an in-depth and realistic element while still retaining simplicity - not being just another excessively over-complicated addition to make new players think "o god wtf do I do here, this game sucks".

The PK discussion comes down to simply this:

It has worked before, now it doesn't...

When the vid was still online it made a good point about the foodchain being chopped off at its base, the equivalent of removing all plankton from the oceans...

Large clans who eat small clans who eat teams who eat single pk-ers who eat skillers... No skiller goes to the wilderness anymore, as even runecrafters use Kyatt transport, or just stay at the ZMI...

Bakriminel bolts is a small step in the right direction, but not enough... Not by a long shot...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The PK discussion comes down to simply this:

It has worked before, now it doesn't...

When the vid was still online it made a good point about the foodchain being chopped off at its base, the equivalent of removing all plankton from the oceans...

Large clans who eat small clans who eat teams who eat single pk-ers who eat skillers... No skiller goes to the wilderness anymore, as even runecrafters use Kyatt transport, or just stay at the ZMI...

Bakriminel bolts is a small step in the right direction, but not enough... Not by a long shot...

Indeed, they definitely have to add a lot more resources, and make the existing ones far better. I wonder though if they think that the BH update will be enough to satisfy PKers, although it's basically quite a different system...

I really did love the article about the wilderness and I agree completely. To be honest the last time I went in the wild was for a clue scroll and that was last summer.

But I think the best example I could give is when I was f2p with a very low combat level; probably some 6 years ago. Anyways when I was f2p I was all about smithing and mining and with 35 mining; it was really really hard getting coal! Not only was my mining very low but every coal ore in f2p was full out crowded, I remember I would try to log in late or go on worlds with minimal people(I didn't know the re-spawn was longer...). Needless to say that after a while, I said screw it I'm going in the wild and I did.

I must say I ran for my life many times and also got pked a lot, but time after time I kept on going. Then I started doing the same for the lvl 35 mine with the 8 mithril ores because there was an incentive : virtually no crowds and no waiting time in between rocks.

Now with the grand exchange and etc.... I'm total lvl 1890 and I don't need to go in the wilderness to go mining anymore. But with my lvl 98 farming put an herb patch with double the yield around level 30 and you'll probably see me there planting torstols. And guess what pkers; if you kill me after the harvest you'd probably be looking at 22 torstols and 2/3 of a juju potion.

=)