European Football Championship

Jonanananas

The headline in today's Metro over the England result:

"French get taught a lesson in resistance."

I was wondering when the inevitable WW2 comments would start, should've taken bets on how long, it's so ridiculously predictable I'd have made a killing. Happens every bloody tournament and every time we play either France, Italy or Germany in the World Cup.

Same thing happened when the U.S. played that friendly in France last November and when our women's team lost in the WC finals to Japan...

That headline about resistance is ironic, though.

Since 'MURRICA saved you twice

6789963900_e98b612db8_z.jpg[/sarcasm]

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game, and a fantastic goal by Polland. Has to be the goal of the tournament so far. Last round in this group will be an interesting one.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Both teams looked very impressive, but Germany had total control of the midfield that game. I'm just hoping that Holland still finds a way to qualify for the quarter finals.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Nah. Holland weren't themselves this game, really soulless. Only 10 minutes of nice play, that was goal and immediately after that. I'm secretly hoping for Denmark.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Holland's just been a major disappointment this whole tourney. They have to score at least 2 goals in their next match and Germany has to loss or something like that and they'll miraculously make the quarter. Greece blew it too yesterday. Portugal-denmark was great match though. Tomorrow should be fun.

tFtfA.jpg

Holland's just been a major disappointment this whole tourney. They have to score at least 2 goals in their next match and Germany has to loss or something like that and they'll miraculously make the quarter. Greece blew it too yesterday. Portugal-denmark was great match though. Tomorrow should be fun.

If denmark loses without scoring a goal and Holland wins with a two goals lead, Holland, Denmark and Portugal would all be on the same position considering points and goal difference. Not sure what happens then.

Guest jrhairychest

I can't see England making it past the group stages. Technically poor players and poor tactics. We play football like it's a hot potato. We have no-one who looks comfortable on the ball. I look at other teams and even their defensive players look more comfortable than our midfielders. The foreign influx of players into the premier league was supposed to change all that but I don't think we've made any progress since Euro '96 <_<

If denmark loses without scoring a goal and Holland wins with a two goals lead, Holland, Denmark and Portugal would all be on the same position considering points and goal difference. Not sure what happens then.

Holland would get through, rather than Portugal if that's the case. Really hoping Holland get their act together and start playing proper football and advance through to the quarter finals. They've been nothing but disappointment so far.

EDIT: Also depends on how many goals Denmark concede if they do indeed lose.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

No, it doesn't. Denmark needs a win or a draw or they are guaranteedly out. Scores don't matter this time.

However, Croatia - Italy was an awesome match. The best so far, besides Poland - Russia, methinks. Italy was a bit of a disappointment on second half, but watching Croatia play was a total joy. Granted, not that many direct attacks, but the pressure and the control of the midfield on second half was magnifico.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

No, it doesn't. Denmark needs a win or a draw or they are guaranteedly out. Scores don't matter this time.

However, Croatia - Italy was an awesome match. The best so far, besides Poland - Russia, methinks. Italy was a bit of a disappointment on second half, but watching Croatia play was a total joy. Granted, not that many direct attacks, but the pressure and the control of the midfield on second half was magnifico.

I'm not talking about Denmark's chances though, I'm talking about Holland's chances. If they win Portugal by +2 goals and Denmark lose against Germany, Holland will go through.

Spain vs Ireland... Wow. It's just orgasmic to watch Spain play. But what I enjoyed even more was Torres getting 2 goals today. Wish he hadn't been subbed so he'd have a chance at the hat-trick, but 2 goals is very good. Hopefully he can build on that for the rest of the tournament.

Also, the Ireland supporters. They were absolutely awesome. Cheering and singing even though they're team was getting destroyed. That's some true supporters right there. Completely opposite of the Holland supporters last night, who went completely quiet after they were 1 goal down.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

Yeah Ireland fans were amazing.

I feel bad for the players though. It was very likely that they'd lose, and more than 1-0, but damn, I wish they had fared a bit better. 4-0 is bitter, even if understandable against such an amazing team as Spain.

I almost cried during the last 7-8 minutes. It was so... beautiful.

I salute you, every Irish football fan. Even the commentaries on our national TV channel, who broadcasted it were silent, simply awed by it.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

God, the video was made from our broadcast :)

Freaking ETV, blocked the video...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

another terrible blown call. Greece should've gotten a penalty kick but instead gets a yellow card. Ouch.

Bad refereeing maybe, but I'm happy. I really, really do not want Greece to advance to the quarter finals. Hoping Russia get their act together and equalize/win the match.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

if Greece keeps the lead and Czech wins their match, Russia's gone right? Lol wow.

Yeah, pretty much. Two of the most boring teams in the tournament going through, while two rather interesting teams go home. I do not like that idea. :<

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

[bleep]ing Greeks. All I've got to say. And stupid Russians aswell, so tightly in their plan. Should have done more crosses.

But yeah, if Greeks make it past the quarter finals, I am going to be seriously mad. Specially since I read today, that every single person of my country has practically lent 486 euros to them bastards. That includes infants and elderly people and so on.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

So very disappointed about last night. Typical Greece getting through on 1-0 win with a 10man defence.

Tonight should be interesting though. I really hope Holland actually start playing as a team and show what they're capable of. I'm very confident that Germany will defeat Denmark, so Holland "only" needs a +2 goal win over Portugal. That doesn't sound too bad.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

So very disappointed about last night. Typical Greece getting through on 1-0 win with a 10man defence.

Tonight should be interesting though. I really hope Holland actually start playing as a team and show what they're capable of. I'm very confident that Germany will defeat Denmark, so Holland "only" needs a +2 goal win over Portugal. That doesn't sound too bad.

I would definitely hope Holland gets their act together. But I don't think they'll manage a two goals lead over Portugal, who unfortunately are most likely too strong for that. It's not impossible, but...