June 30th, 2012 - Third time's the charm?

Ren

This is my third, and final post, regarding disconnects, wide server crashes, login errors or Jagex ISP failure. It is not a rant, but here in this thread we will discuss a few things.

How often do you think Jagex's ISP has these kind of problems? We go through lag, d/c, or fps lag often. Jagex aims to fix this as soon as possible and I appreciate it. However, eventually this is going to be 'too much' for most players. Perhaps this time truly is the last wide server crash.

We strive for fun, for xp gains every day we play RuneScape. Some people socialize, whether it be at LRC half-afk or at the GE trying to buy a stupid fury ornament kit because it's rising. We spend our money on this game, and do it willingly. Addiction is not the right word for those who just can't get enough RuneScape.

It is a great game, made by an off-and-on great game development company. They mess up, but they do have those few updates that make the game egg on in people's hearts. Beta, for example, was something Jagex and a lot of players thought RS needed; a huge change. It's in the early stages, so it is by far too early to tell if it is good or bad, but what I can say confidently is that it is coming regardless. Jagex focuses largely on expansion in the game itself, but appealing to players of all ages, of any race, and of any country. They try to make it so this game is accessable by most people in the world. Jagex puts their heart out in this game, and it dissapoints me sometimes that they really haven't sought out changing ISP's. Granted, that's where this part of the thread begins to unfold.

What can we really be doing instead of RuneScape? Could we be playing fetch with our dog, talking to family members, taking a nice break outside in the cool, evening summer air? We could focus our time elsewhere so easily, but we don't usually. We want to take a break from the real-life mould and slay a dark beast or burn alive some evil trees. It'd be nice to get that special 90's cape, trimmed Dungeoneering cape, or even just Legends cape because it looks so cool despite being such old-content. This game...it attracts us like most others would never be able to. We wait for the servers to come back on, for a tweet from Jagex saying "Our staff is contacting the company now to fix the server issues.". We love this game for what it is, will be, and was in the past despite change, turmoil of bugs, and horrible horrible bot population.

So I ask you to post on this thread, what would you be doing in RuneScape right now, if the servers were online? What would you be doing in real life right this second, if RuneScape was down for over a day instead of maybe minutes or hours?

553VriC.png?1

Well as the servers seem to be offline again i suppose I could be sleeping! :oops:

vlad_the_old.jpeg

Thanks to 4be2jue for the sigs.

Vlad_The_Old.png

There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't!

Vlad_the_old.png

I had to think hard about this, somewhat.

If Runescape was down for over a day already, I would probably be hiking out near my house. There's lots of wildlife nearby, and it's great to be in the woods (RIP ticks though). If I were on Runescape, I'd probably be killing miths for the brand new 5 DFH goal I have, or just Dungeoneering like I was -right- before the server disconnect.

553VriC.png?1

Most of my time is spent on this game, and I figured some people relate to my POV in this thread. Some do not know what I'm talking about but it's really deep within everyone. Playing a game is not something basic, it's beyond what appeals to your eye and mind. It grows onto you and people just don't see it. That's why horrible updates hurt or annoy you, it's why you get frustrated with lag or inconveniences. It's why you'd rather play for an hour or two or 5 to take your mind off something irl.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying? The contrast between real-life and what video games have done to us emotionally?

Edited by Kimberly
Please keep it on topic.

553VriC.png?1

I didn't even know RS was down because I was playing Minecraft instead. GF productivity.

I heard about people who play minecraft and create levels that mimic Runescape surroundings. So much for Minecraft ;P.

More posts about what the topic is, though! I like it!

Edited by Kimberly
Removed quote of a rulebreaking post

553VriC.png?1

So there are more people on RSOf than RuneScape, something must be seriously wrong with the servers >.<.

Eh.. I'd be making my daily flasks since it's reset time for the servers!

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Instead of playing runescape, we are here [bleep]ing and moaning about how the servers are down. So, really, while we "could" be out doing almost anything, we could just as easily be doing it with runescape up.

More to the point though, I'd be posting saying "sauce"

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

aNp3i.png

Man I'm good.

OT: There is nothing besides RS, for everything else is xpwaste. DG if I could, League of Legends might as well fill the time though.

...hi Witchy

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.

I'll use these spare moments to finalise this paper I've been writing about the unified field theory.

I might also look deeper into this DNA-string I suspect is the cause of Alzheimer's.

I'll get back to you.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Hi Rend, hi Deo. Should I go back on Morrowind or go to sleep? Hmm...

Play Morrowind and continue checking forums occasionally :). I'll be sure to keep checking Runescape, I know you like your tree resets.

Also, who said they made a rootbeer float to pass time while RS was down? Sounds delicious. What would you do in Runescape right now if it weren't for that float, though?

EDIT: Hotshot scientist right there. Be careful, knowledge is power.

EDIT2: Lmfao deo.. I am a horrible person. Luckily this is the final one, I have a feeling Jagex will be switching ISP's very soon :).

553VriC.png?1

This is usually my downtime right before I'm getting dinner set up and such anyway. :lol: If RuneScape was down for a day, I usually end up reading or watching some old classic movies. :P Or I'd go out, head into the city, and just have some fun window shopping and doing some random sightseeing, or head up to the botanical gardens (despite my allergies).

(It's been down for over an hour... RIP!)

If RS wasn't down, I'd probably go Dungeoneer or play Flash Powder Factory anyway, per signature.

it attracts us like most others would never be able to

I disagree with that statement. The reason it attracts us is because we've spent so much time in it. WoW players would probably feel the same about WoW. Diablo players might feel the same way about Diablo. As for initial attraction, that's probably some combination of how accessible RS is (I played it for like a year as an F2P player and it was easier to get into without worrying about downloading and installing or buying anything) and friends. (A friend introduced me to RS.)

What makes RS special to you is probably just the amount of time you've invested into it. And, since you've likely been playing for years, that means you've been playing long enough to put on nostalgia glasses. And it means when something goes wrong you get mad instead of moving on. Hate to break it to you, but I don't think there's actually anything that special about RS. It's a video game, it's an MMORPG and it's unique in its own ways.

Edited by Kimberly
Edited removed quote

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

This is usually my downtime right before I'm getting dinner set up and such anyway. :lol: If RuneScape was down for a day, I usually end up reading or watching some old classic movies. :P Or I'd go out, head into the city, and just have some fun window shopping and doing some random sightseeing, or head up to the botanical gardens (despite my allergies).

<3<3<3 Fsm :P.

You live in an interesting area (assuming you didn't move) based on your YT video. I have the challenge of living far and between cities, and basically anyone who's interesting.

Also, RIP indeed.

And Bxp, I see what you did there ;).

553VriC.png?1

<3<3<3 Fsm :P.

You live in an interesting area (assuming you didn't move) based on your YT video. I have the challenge of living far and between cities, and basically anyone who's interesting.

Also, RIP indeed.

And Bxp, I see what you did there ;).

I had to travel a bit to get to my favorite place just for the video. :P Didn't really matter since I was planning to go out anyway. But commuting into the city sucks, public transportation and driving wise. XD

If Runescape was down for a day, I would be playing a different game.

If all games vanished... well, I would probably be watching tv and slacking off. Hard to say. :P

it attracts us like most others would never be able to

I disagree with that statement. The reason it attracts us is because we've spent so much time in it. WoW players would probably feel the same about WoW. Diablo players might feel the same way about Diablo. As for initial attraction, that's probably some combination of how accessible RS is (I played it for like a year as an F2P player and it was easier to get into without worrying about downloading and installing or buying anything) and friends. (A friend introduced me to RS.)

What makes RS special to you is probably just the amount of time you've invested into it. And, since you've likely been playing for years, that means you've been playing long enough to put on nostalgia glasses. And it means when something goes wrong you get mad instead of moving on. Hate to break it to you, but I don't think there's actually anything that special about RS. It's a video game, it's an MMORPG and it's unique in its own ways.

You're a hipster with the nostalgia glasses thing, kind of.

I'm humble, I assume most of us are humble about the situation. And most people who play video games and continue playing them have goals or get bored and rely on that same game to please them in different ways. WoW has that ability with loads of character builds and somewhat extreme dedication for specific items or levels/skill progression (in terms of PvP or PvM tactic). Diablo 3, I have only heard of people being bored easily by it just because it's slow-paced and too little of itself anymore.

Quite frankly, I think you said something in my thread yourself.

It's a video game, it's an MMORPG and it's unique in its own ways.

Precisely what I was aiming for. Despite being just a video game, an MMORPG, it's unique in it's own ways.

Everyone here enjoys the community we gained from this game, look at us post on the forums dedicated to it. In the section for "Runescape general discussion".

553VriC.png?1

Oh goodness. I've grown up living at least an hour from any major city (recently we got a Krogers within a 20min drive, and that was exciting!), so I can understand that.

If RS were up, I'd probably be running dbones from Tranquil while watching swimming and track & field Olympic trials and criticizing the commentators who don't know what they're talking about. Or possibly training slayer and def (while still otherwise doing the same).

Since RS is down, I'm wandering around the interwebz and otherwise doing the same.

If RS were to have been down all day already, I might be playing Sequence, but that really involves too much attention to do while watching TV of any kind. And regardless of the status of RS servers, when the Olympic Trials are on, I'm watching them - it's too cool to miss, not to mention being a family tradition (and I'm a little obsessed with gymnastics, so I wouldn't miss that particular part of Trials for the world).

I've been very in and out of RS over the years, and this is why - I play it when I want to, but I'm not afraid to do something else if I'd rather (and often I would indeed rather do something else and do so). This is why I've been playing for about 8 years and only recently leveled a skill past 90, obtained 2000 total levels, and have yet to get any 99. So if your point was to say we ought to be doing something else even if the servers were working, I don't think I can agree. But I'm really not sure what your point here was, heh.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Sounds wonderful Sorator, I love it when commentators have no idea what's going on in sports :D.

@999, I live in Maine. We have swing weather where it's humid but cool, strong breezes are frequent past 6-8PM. Still extremely hot during the day most of the summer.

EDIT: Didn't even think of trying to play RSC! Brb.

E2: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOO.

I knew there was a way around Server crash :evil: .

classicvet.png

553VriC.png?1

It's even worse when they say things that are just completely wrong. "Liuken has been doing bars sets all night and hasn't been spotted once!" *looks at bars where Liuken is doing a bars set and being spotted* ORLY?? :wall:

Edit: Wait, RSC works? Weeeeeird.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

If the servers were up I would either be slaying, dging, or doing some random bind hunt with you. :rolleyes:

If the servers were down I would probably be working out or playing Minecraft. (I did the working out part right after the disconnect so I guess it's time to play Minecraft |^_^|)

Also, that is Fiya, not 999

EDIT: Yafi, change your name to Mgt Ramo

70b0c3fc9b.png