Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chapter 1 - Windward

PvP Metagame Boss Hunting Combat Events F2P Quests Rants Rare Items Rules

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
690 replies to this topic

The_Mather1
[ Display Name History ]

The_Mather1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:The Mather1
  • Clan:Anime Lobby
Don't need the Sight until after range increment 5 though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Twitter: @TheMather1

Grim_
[ Display Name History ]

Grim_

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  • RSN:Duke Grim IV
  • Clan:SODB
I'd like to think that my speeches greeting every NPC (that could probably kill us, just judging by the druid) as a greeting count as role playing. At any rate, there are other ways of doing an alpha strike, and retech might let lei switch out of the gunslinger class (that could be so much more than it is, and is so much more than what you're playing it as) to a more blasty class (like a sorcerer optimized for either summoning or blasting [if so, try and get dazing spell at 10th level, as a debuff it's amazing], or an actual front line fighter (like a fighter or a cavalier) that gets a higher hit die, and heavy armor proficiency).
Posted Image

The_Mather1
[ Display Name History ]

The_Mather1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
We don't need blasting, we just need killing, which she is more than proficient at.

And right now I've got a way to make her more than twice as lethal and I'm working on a thing that would give us the tactical advantage of the century.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nexaduro
[ Display Name History ]

Nexaduro

A Fool On The Hill.

• Members
  • 2,437 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:NexaduroIV
  • Clan:The Honorable Tavern-that-was
Tactical advantage of the century = being a Wizard.

I would recommend Lei try out the Magus... But that's me being biased towards Magi ever since I figured out how to build an Int SAD combat Magus.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

The_Mather1
[ Display Name History ]

The_Mather1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
The thing I'm talking about is pretty much half of what a wizard can do, but continuous.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seraphin
[ Display Name History ]

Seraphin

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 0 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

The thing I'm talking about is pretty much half of what a wizard can do, but continuous.

Amusing.

Grim_
[ Display Name History ]

Grim_

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
A metamagic focused sorcerer (with a spell tattoo), can, at 9th level, do 80-95 damage a turn, as a standard action, with a fireball; at 10th level it can forgo ~50 damage on one shot (which won't matter too much, as the monster's still going to be up after 80), and deal ~35 damage along with 3 rounds worth of dazing, in which the enemy cannot act and takes a penalty on pretty much everything. Tell me a gunslinger's better than that.

Also, run that scenario against pretty much any outsider that is CR 9, most all of them have dimension door at will, and more than enough hitpoints to take a round of damage from a rifle (As well as pretty decent DR against each attack).
Posted Image

The_Mather1
[ Display Name History ]

The_Mather1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
At level 8 a goblin firebomber can do 102-180 of guaranteed (no attack roll) damage to everything inside a 40ft cone per turn with just a +5 Reliable Distance double-barrel shotgun using Dragon's Breath cartridges and the right feats, so I don't see how damage potential matters.

Best case scenario for those within that cone is succeeding on six DC 15 Reflex rolls to take only 51-90 damage. At Fire Domain lvl 12 that's down to 31-70 damage and at lvl 20 you can negate it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grim_
[ Display Name History ]

Grim_

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
And is lei that? Also, a +5 (or higher) weapon at 8th level? No wonder that rapes game balance. If she's willing to give up using firearms there's a whole host of other "front line fighter" opportunities, like an actual fighter, or an inquisitor or something.
As for the list of outsiders for retech, I was thinking of:
Asuras (think mercs)
Some psychopomps (fluffed as there being a schism in between them, and having some follow Pharasma and some follow my god)
Possibly some (heavily) modified angels, with evil related SLAs swapped out for some anti undead powers or some different SLAs (animate dead and skeleton X, or disrupting weapon/ command undead spring to mind). Hell, the two exceptions for the ban against intelligent undead (liches/graveknights and mummies) could be possibilities. Though it is all up to you.
Posted Image

The_Mather1
[ Display Name History ]

The_Mather1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
Actually that +5 is only responsible for 30 damage. Most of the damage comes from INT bonus to fire damage.

Point-Blank shot + Precise Shot = +3
Burn! Burn! Burn! = 1d4
Fire Bombardier = +INT(6 at most without boost)
Dragon's Breath = 2d6

Double-barrel = Two shots at a time.
Rapid Reload = Free action to reload.

BAB(6) + Rapid Shot = Shoot three times.

Overall that's 3*2(2d6+1d4+9) or 12d6+6d4+54 damage.

I estimate it's around the maximum damage potential for a level 8 with such a limited amount of factors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Resistance
[ Display Name History ]

Resistance

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 216 posts
Magus or Alchemist would both be awesome. Problem is that most of the good potions do -2 int damage. At 3 you're uncontrollable, at 0 you're comatose.
Also, if you were to be a fighter you should probably go vampire due to the strength, dex and grapple bonuses.

Posted Image

Retech
[ Display Name History ]

Retech

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,640 posts
  • RSN:Saint Retech

Actually that +5 is only responsible for 30 damage. Most of the damage comes from INT bonus to fire damage.

Point-Blank shot + Precise Shot = +3
Burn! Burn! Burn! = 1d4
Fire Bombardier = +INT(6 at most without boost)
Dragon's Breath = 2d6

Double-barrel = Two shots at a time.
Rapid Reload = Free action to reload.

BAB(6) + Rapid Shot = Shoot three times.

Overall that's 3*2(2d6+1d4+9) or 12d6+6d4+54 damage.

I estimate it's around the maximum damage potential for a level 8 with such a limited amount of factors.

There are a few problems with that. With DPR, it is necessary to factor in other things. For example, the DC 15 Reflex save is basically achieved 80% of the time at this level, so would cut the damage output by 40% or so. In addition, the fire-arm gains the broken condition when it misfires, which is everytime you roll a 1 on one of those d6s. That further reduces the damage (I could do a statistical evaluation, but it takes it down further). Without accounting for that, we have 61.2 damage as the average damage.

Personally I don't mind that you are discussing these things, as long as it doesn't spill over too much into the game. :)

>Or if it does, maybe you could optimize a character concept that doesn't usually work with game mechanics, like a whip-using bard (I'm partial to whip using bards)
Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering
Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony
Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering
Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)
Former President of the United States (Hegemony)
Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)
Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

The_Mather1
[ Display Name History ]

The_Mather1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
That's why the shotgun has to be Reliable, to remove the chance of misfiring.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Retech
[ Display Name History ]

Retech

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,640 posts
  • RSN:Saint Retech
The Dragon cartridges work with a different system of misfire though, so the reliable enchantment does not affect using them.
Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering
Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony
Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering
Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)
Former President of the United States (Hegemony)
Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)
Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

archimage_a
[ Display Name History ]

archimage_a

You can't direct the wind

• Members
  • 11,268 posts
  • RSN:archimage a
Thats amazing...The thing I said 2-3 weeks ago turned out to be the stumbing block...

Furthermore doing 3 shots per round is a Full Attack, which means you can only take a 5 foot step.
Unless the enemies are directly on top of you, in which case you need to soak up their damage, you can't use the 15 feet cone.

So let us assume you (By which I mean Lei) have been attacked by a Vampire.
You shoot it 3 times with your rifle, scoring...14, 15 and 7 to hit. So 15 damage, reduces to 0 by the DR.

The Vampire assumes Gaseous Form and flies towards you at 20 feet per round, using cover as it can.
You continue plugging away shots, 9, 6, 10, 5, 8, 16, 4, 8 and finally a 20. But alas, in Gaseous form it is immune to critical hits.

You decide that wasting ammo on this fight is silly and you wait for it to come into range. It gets to 30 feet and casts Dominate on you.
10+5+2 =17
You roll a 4. Add that to your will...3
Unfortunately 7 doesn't beat the DC and so you turn on your good friend, Mather and shoot him.
You get a new Will Save, 9 this time. Still too low.

Mather rolls 15 on his Reflex save, which passes, so Mather only takes half damage
Damage roll is (12d6)37 + (6d4)14 + 54 = 105 /2
=52

Assuming you rolled all eights you have 72 HP, so you are now down to 20 HP.

Its Mather's turn, he do something that doesn't really tip the balance back into your favour...Lets say he attack the Vampire with his Pen. He roll a 4 on the attack, which misses.

The Vampire unassumes gaseous form, and attempts to grapple Mather, rolls a 9+7=16, which you can make, so doesn't effect him.

Lei stands there grinning idle.

Mather attack with his Pen, rolling a 3.

Vampire 5

Mather, success, at last, a 20. You deal some damage.

The Vampire rolls a 16+7=23, which I would assume hits. It drains 1 Con point from Mather, dealing 5 damage, and heals 5 HP.

Mather attack, 6.

The Vampire continues the grapple and attacks Mather. 13+8, which I assume hits. Doing 4+4 damage, plus 2 Negative energy levels. And Mather takes 4 Con damage (Which is 20 HP, so he is dead, but I forgot so...), and the Vampire heals 20.

Mather rolls an 11, which usually hits, but with the 2 negative levels fails.

Vampire rolls 15. Doing 1+4 damage, plus 2 negative levels and 2 Con damage, healing the Vampire for 10.

Mather rolls a 10.

Vampire rolls a 20, but fails to confirm. dealing 2+4 damage, plus 2 negative damage and 3 Con damage.

Mather lies on the ground, dead.

Lei goes off to serve her new master.

3 days later Mather rises as a Vampire Spawn, just in time to be fireballed to death by Garmund.

So ends the tale of Mather and Lei.

http://www.uzzisoft..../archimage.jpeg
Posted Image

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Seraphin
[ Display Name History ]

Seraphin

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 0 posts

Are we talking about an alternate Rapid Reload here, or is it GM fiat? Not to say that I am against GM fiat, but I am just curious where you are getting free action reloading from.

Grim_
[ Display Name History ]

Grim_

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
I think he's factoring in the lightening reload deed (which requires him to be 11th level). Also, a +7 equivalent weapon really rapes the WBL, as in it costs ~90k gold, which is much more than a 10th, much less an 8th level character can afford.
Posted Image

The_Mather1
[ Display Name History ]

The_Mather1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,742 posts
No, I am factoring in the fact that advanced firearms, regardless of handedness, are as fast to reload as Light and Hand Crossbows, and are applicable for the Feat.

And Archi, you forgot to factor in the fact that Lei can without penalty fire into a melee, that the Vampire as an umarmed foe is Flatfooted against my pen, that I have a whip which I can use to perform tactical combat maneuvers, that whenever I get an AoO, that turns into three of them, that Lei could at any time use a grit feature against the Vampire, that I could cast Summon Monster III to increase our numbers, that I could have cast Enthrall followed by Charm Person to keep the Vampire busy, that Lei could have used the Experimental Blunderbluss to deal twice the damage while the Vampire was at a range where that was suitable in terms of reload time and that I could use Suggestion and Dirge of Doom against the Vampire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nexaduro
[ Display Name History ]

Nexaduro

A Fool On The Hill.

• Members
  • 2,437 posts
  • RSN:NexaduroIV
  • Clan:The Honorable Tavern-that-was
As I recall, Undead are immune to mind-affecting abilities and spells.

You can't use both the whip and the pen while retaining the ability to cast most spells, unless you have Quick Draw?

Grit doesn't do much.

Vampires, by virtue of not being idiots, would probably ignore your summons, but that's up to the GM.

What's an experimental blunderbuss?

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Leiana
[ Display Name History ]

Leiana

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • RSN:Leiana2213
I would like to point out I still CONTROL my character, Mather isn't allowed to make choices for me. Suggestions fine, but I'm still in control.

On the side note, can someone explain why Holo isn't allowed at whatever place the other person showed up at? I wasn't here when that happened. All I know is that somebody did something to cause banishment(?) and Holo isn't allowed there. Or is it me that's not allowed there since I'm an "outsider"?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PvP, Metagame, Boss Hunting, Combat, Events, F2P, Quests, Rants, Rare Items, Rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users