Botting/Botwatch in the Evolution of Combat Discussion

Deathscythe

When the EOC was released everyone was happy however when the Update when into place acconding to toonLinkskil all the bots dissappered EOC went in to effect. Could there have been a bot nuke hidden within the update? If so then people who used bots didn't see it coming. What do you think do Jagex hide a bot nuke within the EOC update?

Sonic9.png

There is almost always a day or so of bot downtime after an update. This is normal and has been happening the past 3 years at least, probably since injection bots began

Lots of scripts will have been outdated by the changes so If everything else remains constant, expect the bots to be back to normal levels within a few weeks.

Yeah everytime an update occurs bots are offline for a bit as someone has to log em back on and make fixes. In a case such as this they are down a bit longer because the combat ones have to be redone for new system.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

There is almost always a day or so of bot downtime after an update. This is normal and has been happening the past 3 years at least, probably since injection bots began

Certain bot sites already had a client working in the Beta and were all ready set to go for when the game was live. They just had to run an application to update the game hooks and back to business. Combat bots will be in less quantities until they are updated. Most likely you will see combat bots sitting on momentum.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Even when they do finally decide to release it, I give a week to a few weeks tops.

Considering it took until the end of January for the major bot creators to make a working bot after Octover 2011's bot nuke...

I don't see why Botwatch would work less well.

Even if this next one takes 3 months to overcome, which I very highly doubt... They've spent over 12 developing it so far and it's not even out yet. All that work and all that time for a few weeks of no bots? Really?

The first nuke lasted as long as it did simply because it caught the developers off guard. They didn't expect Jagex to make such a huge overhaul. They won't be caught off guard again, I assure you.

Remember when Jagex was supposed to take care of the screen-scrapers "shortly after the first nuke"? People can still bot to 99 skills in under 2 weeks from scratch with a completely detectable, non-randomized screen-scraping bot. It amazes me that people have any faith in their programming abilities what-so-ever.

09144a99bb.png

Is that implying you would be able to do better?

Then please, do apply for Jagex.

They have Jacmob (He was the leader of RSBuddy and had a working bot client two weeks after nuke 1, who was hired by Jagex) and still have a problem. Jagex have ways of detecting modified classes built into the client, but the bot clients null that subroutine out. They have yet to try an external application which monitors the system like Punkbuster or Warden does. Perhaps that would be a possible option?

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

They have Jacmob (He was the leader of RSBuddy and had a working bot client two weeks after nuke 1, who was hired by Jagex) and still have a problem. Jagex have ways of detecting modified classes built into the client, but the bot clients null that subroutine out. They have yet to try an external application which monitors the system like Punkbuster or Warden does. Perhaps that would be a possible option?

I vaguely remember reading that Botwatch was supposed to do something like that, but I could be wrong.

Botwatch isn't running on the main computer. It is server side.

I'd argue that doing something like that would require a change to the ToS that gave Jagex permission to monitor your machine while connected to the game. Security fiends and those conscious about their privacy wouldn't stand for that.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Honestly, I think a lot of it boils down to one simple thing: the payout for making bots is greater then the payout for breaking bots. Thus the bot makers, as a collective whole, can spend more time and money making bots then Jagex can fighting them.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

They should hurry up and implement Botwatch tbh, I've only seen it working at grotworms and sorcerers garden.

mX0rmhR.gif
Click the image above to be taken to the Wilderness Guardians website.

Advisor in Wilderness Guardians

Honourary Member in Clan Europe

Ex-Leader Of Descendant Guardians and True Supremacy

Honestly, I think a lot of it boils down to one simple thing: the payout for making bots is greater then the payout for breaking bots. Thus the bot makers, as a collective whole, can spend more time and money making bots then Jagex can fighting them.

This is very true.

Though hopefully as botwatch learns and grows and other bot-fighting factors come in it will tip the scales in Jagex's favour in terms of bot making on a commercial level being worthwhile.

The swap to html5 engine they mention will probably do a lot of good on this matter as I believe many of the exploits bots can use in java are more secure in html5.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

This is very true.

Though hopefully as botwatch learns and grows and other bot-fighting factors come in it will tip the scales in Jagex's favour in terms of bot making on a commercial level being worthwhile.

The swap to html5 engine they mention will probably do a lot of good on this matter as I believe many of the exploits bots can use in java are more secure in html5.

Bots will just switch to OpenGL interception methods which there are already a couple of clients which do this. The only way to seriously reduce bots is external monitoring software which actively searches for bot client signs. If it were possible to do so without, Blizzard wouldn't have Warden running along WoW**.

**This does in no way indicate I believe Runescape is like WoW. I am using WoW as part of this example due to the similar problems it had with botting .

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

This is very true.

Bots will just switch to OpenGL interception methods which there are already a couple of clients which do this. The only way to seriously reduce bots is external monitoring software which actively searches for bot client signs. If it were possible to do so without, Blizzard wouldn't have Warden running along WoW**.

**This does in no way indicate I believe Runescape is like WoW. I am using WoW as part of this example due to the similar problems it had with botting .

I'm probably naive on this matter but how exactly does which graphical render is being used give the bots any extra interception power? I mean opengl, directx hardware or w/e else is rendering the graphics the backend doing the work that matters, the bit that you need to trick and fool to make a good bot is still going to be the same.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

This is very true.

I'm probably naive on this matter but how exactly does which graphical render is being used give the bots any extra interception power? I mean opengl, directx hardware or w/e else is rendering the graphics the backend doing the work that matters, the bit that you need to trick and fool to make a good bot is still going to be the same.

You can pull, or intercept, the rendering data being sent to the graphics card by replacing the system OpenGL library with a modified version. This data can be used to gather face counts, vertex counts, normal counts, and more information and be compared against data from known models in game. Once they have this information, they can use basic trig to determine the location on screen/in the game world and then perform actions based on that. Also, these bots use advanced color and text recognition algorithms.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

I have no doubt that I could.

Even if they switched to a PunkBuster/HackShield, with said companies in the past we had bypasses released minutes after they'd update. >.<

09144a99bb.png