Not impressed by PS4

Lep

The only thing Sony could have done to make this console worthwhile is to offer much higher resolutions than the PS3 - like a forward looking Ultra HD 4k, or somewhere above 1080p.

The biggest crime with the PS3 is that games run at 720p.

Sony said the PS4 is able to output 4k video (not games), which seeing as they are one of the largest advocates for 4k, it's not much of a surprise. The lack of support for 4k games, I feel has more to do with developers and possibly the cost of developing a game in 4k.

tFtfA.jpg

The only thing Sony could have done to make this console worthwhile is to offer much higher resolutions than the PS3 - like a forward looking Ultra HD 4k, or somewhere above 1080p.

The biggest crime with the PS3 is that games run at 720p.

Sony said the PS4 is able to output 4k video (not games), which seeing as they are one of the largest advocates for 4k, it's not much of a surprise. The lack of support for 4k games, I feel has more to do with developers and possibly the cost of developing a game in 4k.

Same thing happened to the PS3. It had 1080p video games since launch (Lair comes to mind), however not too many devs were willing to make 1080p games after that.

22031_s.gif

I might buy a PS4 in about 5 years as a cheap 3d bluray player then.

• Like 1

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

3d Blu-Ray player is PS3 already. Tried and tested and seen it running on my own personal PS3 with my own 3D tv. Not that awestruck with it, I don't actually like 3d with all those glasses and stuff. Just a gimmick.

But I remain positive on PS4. It is based on PC architecture, sure, but that means only better games for players. Everything done on PS4 is for the benefit of gamers. Sure, they could have created another monster with a CPU similar to Cell on its reveal, but look at that price. And it was notoriously hard to develop for. I am for sure waiting for PS4 and am actually impressed with such a move. And I think it will only benefit us by giving standard specs that developers can optimize for. Practically make developing the same for PS4 as it is on PC.

And it can only mean better games.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

• 5 weeks later...

Consoles are a dying breed, they existed purely because the standard home computer couldn't or wouldn't run the high end games at the time. All a console is, is a computer dedicated entirely to playing games, getting the most out of it's relatively low power. The fact consoles are focusing on other aspects and becoming watered down computers kinda shows the desperation and inevitable failure.

FYI I don't think usability is a valid argument now days. Most people own a computer regardless if they're gamers or not, setting up a gaming rig is not complex at all and mostly common sense to people with any experience with a PC.

The main advantage consoles have are exclusives but PS4 has failed to impress...

I do intend on getting WiiU for super smash bros and a good 3d mario game if they ever come out, but I can never see myself getting a PS4 or xbox 3, they just have nothing to offer me.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Ok, I'm gonna say it differently - the PS4 is the first Steam Box, practically. At least that's what I think.

And I hope that it is going to deliver with an unbeatable price for its specs.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Consoles are a dying breed, they existed purely because the standard home computer couldn't or wouldn't run the high end games at the time. All a console is, is a computer dedicated entirely to playing games, getting the most out of it's relatively low power. The fact consoles are focusing on other aspects and becoming watered down computers kinda shows the desperation and inevitable failure.

Not everyone has the money to buy new computers every other year, and this is where consoles come into play, Yes they make the consoles last longer and become incredibly obsolete, but they still play new games as good as brand new computers when old computers can't run these games. The PS4 and Xbox720 both have better specs than the computer I built 4 years ago that can still play recent games at decent graphics, and I'm not going to build another until I have either the money or the computer can't run the stuff I need it to anymore.

Also, I like playing with a controller much more than playing with the keyboard and mouse. This is huge in gaming too, this kind of preference.

Not everyone has the money to buy new computers every other year, and this is where consoles come into play, Yes they make the consoles last longer and become incredibly obsolete, but they still play new games as good as brand new computers when old computers can't run these games. The PS4 and Xbox720 both have better specs than the computer I built 4 years ago that can still play recent games at decent graphics, and I'm not going to build another until I have either the money or the computer can't run the stuff I need it to anymore.

Also, I like playing with a controller much more than playing with the keyboard and mouse. This is huge in gaming too, this kind of preference.

Why would you buy a new computer every other year?

My computer from 2008 is better than next gen consoles, meaning it'll be better than consoles for another 9 years at this rate.

Consoles do not play new games nearly as good as new computers. Most games on console run on a resolution that you'd expect from the early 2000s, and many have a limited framerate, which isn't acceptable.

Mouse+KB is vastly superior in some genres, but other than that it's down to personal preference, so there's that. Console controllers do work on PC flawlessly, however.

Why would you buy a new computer every other year?

My computer from 2008 is better than next gen consoles, meaning it'll be better than consoles for another 9 years at this rate.

Consoles do not play new games nearly as good as new computers. Most games on console run on a resolution that you'd expect from the early 2000s, and many have a limited framerate, which isn't acceptable.

Mouse+KB is vastly superior in some genres, but other than that it's down to personal preference, so there's that. Console controllers do work on PC flawlessly, however.

You must've put a lot of money in your computer, this kind of specs was quite expensive back then in 2008. In my case it's a gaming computer that I built in 2009 for $600 and put another $200, 2 years later when I upgraded the graphics card and the RAM.

Consoles might not play the games as good because of the resolution and stuff, but as long as the graphics appear decent and the fps is decent as well (most of the games I play have 60fps (even though I have the Xbox360 I think this thread has already changed to a generally console thread)).

And about the mouse and kb thing, yes there are genres that they are vastly superior, but I was on the topic of games that you usually find on consoles.

And for your computer being better than the consoles for the next 9 years at this rate, these consoles will probably still cost much less than what you paid to build your computer. This is also what I was saying about the consoles becoming incredibly obsolete before they are replaced.

FPS games are one of the most popular and play horribly with a controller.

Also, the cost of an xbox 360+next gen xbox will total more than the components of my computer, which is better than the two of those combined. The whole "consoles are so much cheaper" arguement isn't even valid in the long run.

If consoles are your thing that's fine, but they bring nothing to the table anymore.

Lack of Region lock, the fact PC can play most of the games consoles can too, etc.

The way I see it, consoles are only justified if either you don't have access to credit cards (which means you can only buy them in shops, console games tend to be better stocked than PC's, and often more up to date too), or if you don't have a PC to begin with and don't like/want to learn how to run/buy one properly.

Granted, I am biased. I have no interest in either Racing, sports or Beat'em ups, which knocks majority of the justification for a console for me, the rest either don't exist anymore (shoot'em ups, side scrollers) or they exist on both (FPS, RTS). Which is an easy choice for me, PC all the way.

Our society is also very different, most of our social interaction happen on line (if you seen us, we are very crowded to do anything social together, so we just do it at home online), so PC's are a big thing here while Consoles are not nearly as popular.

Last, Consoles can't do mods (at very least, not as easily), and they can't do much besides gaming. You cannot build your own console either.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Last, Consoles can't do mods (at very least, not as easily), and they can't do much besides gaming. You cannot build your own console either.

As much as I like modding, it isn't without its faults. A lot of games don't really have more than cosmetic mods, and in others there isn't really anything to mod. It's a nice bonus if you're a TES fan where the game is basically a platform for the mods, not so much if you liked Dark Souls.

Plus, you shouldn't need to build your own console. Their biggest perk is probably the fact that all you have to do is plug it in and its entire library runs perfectly (barring a bad port or a shitty game, but those exist on the PC as well). You also don't get a console expecting it to do anything more than play games (and the occasional movie).

Like it or not, there isn't a right answer here. Unless you want to argue personal preference, I don't doubt that at least some of you will under the guise of "facts". :wall:

That's my problem with consoles, I cannot expect them to do anything but games, which at times makes them little more than tin boxes when I needed some actual thing done.

Yes, the consoles biggest perk is that everything that says runs on it pretty much is guarenteed to run on it, and I do actually like that concept, saves the headaches of trying to get the game running (some older PC games have that problem). But that is also its greatest limitation, you cannot pimp it up without it croaking.

Lastly, my interest lies in the fact that I can build my own PC, so I can actually control its performance better, for consoles, if that consoles has a problem, nothing can be done about it.

And, I did say I was biased towards PC, since i played on the PC since a very young age (I learned DOS commands before I knew how to write my name...), but I did like (and still do) NES and SNES.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Hey hey hey people, this thread is about PS4.

I am fairly certain I will get it in a few years. Not by launch, but by first redesign probably. If only for exclusives and the fact that I am somewhat of a fanboy. And that my internet at least now is a bit too slow to download anything over 10gb. Which is most of the new games.

Oh, and nothing beats playing FIFA, NBA or NHL with friends. Nothing.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Besides MMORPGs and strategy/simulation games, what games are being developed exclusively for the PC that justify choosing a PC gaming rig over a console?

Half the games on steam. But it goes deeper than that, PC games get mods, lots of them. Just Cause 2 with the infinite strength ropes is a completely different and more enjoyable game. Hell, Just Cause 2 has a multiplayer mod for PC. That's right, they took an entirely 1 player game and made it so you can play with 100's of people. It's awesome.

Games like the Civ series get mods that are the equivalent to DLC packs on console games, but a million times more content and all free. They also get patches to fix small problems the developer won't or can't, but the community is well aware of.

I love the console controllers, I use a wireless 360 controller on a lot of PC games, but there are 100's of different types of games that play so much betterer with a mouse and keyboard. Look at Terraria and Minecraft both of which have been ported to consoles fairly recently, they're playable on consoles, but sooo much better on PC. Imagine playing runescape with an xbox controller.

And that's why PCs are best. Because they can do anything a console do, better. And also a billion other things.

Price is a bad argument, you can build a relatively mediocre computer for $500 that can play modern games on standard settings. Or you can invest more into a gaming computer than can play everything in the next 5-8 years on fully max settings. Or you could buy the $500 one with a good mobo and PSU, and just upgrade the CPU and GPU later to make it a super computer. You have options. (Oh and that $500 computer does everything your standard $150-200 computer does but much better, so it works out cheaper to have 1 decent computer; than a bad computer and a console.)

CNqWHdA.jpg

Show me a decent $500 computer.

Can't get anything even half-decent for under €900 around here.

So at least here consoles make a lot of sense financially.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Epic Games Vice President Mark Rein Calls PS4 'A Really Perfect Gaming PC'

Yeah... they're so underwhelmed.

Not that I buy into either yours or Rein's point of view too much because I honestly don't believe they're competing against each other anyway. Different set of games, targeting different markets. The PS4's main competitor will remain Xbox 720, undoubtedly.