Rapier stats reversed?

Barihawk

Well, I've discussed it with some of you as well as various friends from in-game...has anyone noticed that the Rapier is almost useless because of the oddity of its stats?

Now, it is confirmed that the Rapier is practically a clone of the rune scimitar...+7 stab, +45 slash or something along those lines...

However, the attack styles menu shows that 3/4 of the attack styles are stab attacks?! In fact, any decent fencer knows that a rapier should be used for stabbing as its primary attack.

This cripples the weapon, considering the only way to maximize your damage is to use the aggressive slash option.

I have sent a bug report to Cambridge, so who knows? This could be fixed down the line, or nothing will come of it.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

It may in fact be glitched, but keep in mind, logic is a fickle thing in a world where grown men hit monkeys with axes to get stronger and pick cabbage all day.

*Primitive tribesman kill monkeys for practice, and illegal immigrants flock to the US to pick cabbage all day*

Logic, wha? :P

I'd really like it if it was fixed...would be deadly to rangers.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

It may in fact be glitched, but keep in mind, logic is a fickle thing in a world where grown men hit monkeys with axes to get stronger and pick cabbage all day.

*Primitive tribesman kill monkeys for practice, and illegal immigrants flock to the US to pick cabbage all day*

Logic, wha? :P

I'd really like it if it was fixed...would be deadly to rangers.

:lol: See alot of that in Texas :lol:

Well, I've discussed it with some of you as well as various friends from in-game...has anyone noticed that the Rapier is almost useless because of the oddity of its stats?

Now, it is confirmed that the Rapier is practically a clone of the rune scimitar...+7 stab, +45 slash or something along those lines...

However, the attack styles menu shows that 3/4 of the attack styles are stab attacks?! In fact, any decent fencer knows that a rapier should be used for stabbing as its primary attack.

This cripples the weapon, considering the only way to maximize your damage is to use the aggressive slash option.

I have sent a bug report to Cambridge, so who knows? This could be fixed down the line, or nothing will come of it.

lol i dont even think 50% of americans know what fencing is. im american and i know what it is but i got no clue what a rapier is

lol i dont even think 50% of americans know what fencing is. im american and i know what it is but i got no clue what a rapier is

rapier.jpg

Rapier

Edit:

German Rapier

This piece dates from 1550-1560.The pommel is large and spherical. The quillons and guard are round in cross-section. The ricasso on the blade is stout and ribbed. The blade itself is diamond in cross-section with fluting.

German or Swiss Rapier

This sword dates from the late 16th Century. The pommel is diamond shaped and chiselled with lions' heads. The original grip is flutted wood. The guard itself is also chiselled and is symetrical front to back. The blade is a hexogonal and is double edged.

I noticed that, too. Thought it was kind of weird, but I wasn't too sure of what a rapier actually exactly was, with the language barrier and all. And seeing as the animation is the same as for your average sword I thought nothing of it :P

Sue_Kitsu That is B-E-A-U-T-F-U-L-L! where did you get it? the dmaskis steel is practly perfict. Very nice.

Venedlor

:D

Quick google search on "Rapier." Third picture or something.

I do, thanks to my good ol' friend Mr. Fire Emblem o'er here sitting in his comfortable silver chair called nintendo DS.

And yeah, it's wierd. Maybe Jagex doesn't know what a rapier really is?

chesssigtexttipitlt0.jpg

Stunning signature created by the one and only My Boggy.

Just like Columbus he gets murderous on purpose

Yeah, you can definitly tell by the real pic supplied that the weapon is made for stabbing.

And to say all Americans dunno what fencing is... is pretty foolish. I'm sure we've all herd of it a time or two and have a good idea what it is. Just because we aren't snobs doesn't mean we dunno what it is (sorry, had to go there).

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

You mean RuneScape, right?...

Losers...

Are you blind or ignoring me on purpose?

Even though I sometimes side with religious people in some debates, I no longer consider myself religious.

Considering Jagex is located in Cambridge, you can assume I was using a play on words.

Untitled.png

i thought a rapier was a bad man that should be put in jail for a long time

A rapist is someone who commits the crime of rape.

A rapier is a long, thin sword, used mainly for dueling, particularily stab attacks, although it could be used to slash, just not as effectively as other blades due to its slender blade.

In addition to being used for fencing, during the age of the Conquistadores, it was oft used by noblemen/gentlemen as a symbol of power and to show that they were on the "higher path"; it was considered a very graceful weapon, and served to be a part of upperclass fashion.

It was usually made of steel as it required its streghth to effectively stab with out bending too much, but if the steel had to much carbon, the blade would become brittle. Thus, the swordsmith had to maintain a balance of carbon in the steel so that the blade was strong, yet supple enough to bend slightly and spring back to its original shape.

Hah, anyone post pic of it on rs?

Off-topic: I have a fencing friend, and I fool around with him sometimes.... Getting slashed hurts alot more than stabbed especially witht he button on the end. But thats my 150 cents...

THanks,

Ian

lambosig1.png

actually after doing fencing myself in real life

A fencer has to swing there sword like you would any other sword with a backhand motion

this knocks away attacks.. and is actually the most technical part of the fight

the stabbing move is the killer move.. this doesnt do any damage really but it does win you the point

but the swinging smash as u may call it is the best bit :wink:

i always new runescape was kinda messed up in weopons. another example besides this rapier being slashed based is that the scimitar in the game looks like a falshion not a scimmitar. any one who plays dnd would know that.

Dex%20Scimitar.jpg

I am a fencer, and an american, and from what I understand, the Dueling Rapier is what the Epee was based on. I am a saber fighter so I only know the basics, like that all points are scored from a poke, about 750 grams (the amount of force required to peirce skn with a rapier). So yes, I would say it should be stabbing.

In fact, any decent fencer knows that a rapier should be used for stabbing as its primary attack.

Yeah i'm a fencer, and here is how they work. Foils and Epees are used as thrusting attacks because they have the sensors in the tips, and Sabres are used for slashing attacks. But i rapier, although it is not used at all in fencing, i think it's a mix of a sabre and a foil, a weapon that is mostly thrust and a little amount of slash, so yah i agree I'm not sure.

Does anybody know what a rapier actually is? I only foil, epee and sabre.

In fact, any decent fencer knows that a rapier should be used for stabbing as its primary attack.

Yeah i'm a fencer, and here is how they work. Foils and Epees are used as thrusting attacks because they have the sensors in the tips, and Sabres are used for slashing attacks. But i rapier, although it is not used at all in fencing, i think it's a mix of a sabre and a foil, a weapon that is mostly thrust and a little amount of slash, so yah i agree I'm not sure.

Does anybody know what a rapier actually is? I only foil, epee and sabre.

rapier.jpg

Rapier

Edit:

German Rapier

This piece dates from 1550-1560.The pommel is large and spherical. The quillons and guard are round in cross-section. The ricasso on the blade is stout and ribbed. The blade itself is diamond in cross-section with fluting.

German or Swiss Rapier

This sword dates from the late 16th Century. The pommel is diamond shaped and chiselled with lions' heads. The original grip is flutted wood. The guard itself is also chiselled and is symetrical front to back. The blade is a hexogonal and is double edged.

:P