New Scam Email (Possibly something to do with Tip.it)

Everyonedies

Why i think it may be something to do with tip.it is becuase the email this message was sent to has only been have used with tip.it and not on any other Runescape fan site or with Jagex themselves.

Here is the email:

Dear Sir or Madam,

We have collected convincing evidence that you have tried to trade your RuneScape account or sell your virtual items outside of the game environment.

Such real-world trading is destroying the economy of RuneScape and is in violation with our policies. Therefore any player that continues to engage in the illegal activity has no place in our community.

All of your accounts are now on our watch-list and will be automatically monitored for real-world trading. Regardless of who you are or how long you've been with us, if you continue to real-world trade we will have no hesitation in: (1) permanently banning your account from our community in order to protect the game, and (2) naming you as a defendant in Jagex Limited vs you, which is a lawsuit based on antitrust law violations that is currently pending in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Civ. Action No. SANC-V13-00342-CGH).

If you decide to ignore this email and instead continue Real-World Trading, we (Jagex Ltd) reserve our rights to pursue statutory damages against you for between $200 to $2,500 per act of past, present, and/or future real-world trading in accordance with 19 U.S.C. 1307©(3).

In addition, we have temporarily changed your RuneScape account's status.

Please fill in the following security form to monitor your account's status or to appeal the infractions you have recieved:

[here was a link to a website that was blocked my works internet giving the following reason]

url was here also has been denied.

The request was denied due to a content categorization malware-sites.

Please note: Due to recent technical problems with our automated detection systems, some accounts have been unfairly punished. Most of the void infractions should have been removed. Please visit the appeal section to appeal any unjustified infractions received due to system errors.

Sincerely,

Jagex Ltd.

© 2012 All rights reserved by Jagex Ltd. and RuneScape.

Privacy Policy, Terms And Conditions:

St. John's Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB5 1WS, England.

Edited by Quyneax
Removed URL, improved formatting.

Looks like a pretty standard scam, but yeah, take care to remove the url next time ;).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

@Quyneax took the link out(I was thinking i shouldn't post the link but figured it would get taken out if it should be there)... I wasn't sure how many people got the email so i wanted to get it out as quick as possible so as many people as possible could avoid thinking its from Jagex. But for Tip.it staff the email i used on this website is not used on any other runescape related site so im not sure how scammers got ahold of it? Did anyone else get the same email?

How long have you used this particular email address on Tip.It? Our database was compromised in 2011 (see news post) so at that time your email address would have gotten out to scam sites. If you haven't updated your email address since then, that would explain it.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Always, it says 10 24 2008 but i was a member of the old site prior to that but i took a long time to redo my account when everyone had to resign up. I think it was from like 2004ish?

Just in case you missed it, since I edited my reply shortly after posting:

How long have you used this particular email address on Tip.It? Our database was compromised in 2011 (see news post) so at that time your email address would have gotten out to scam sites. If you haven't updated your email address since then, that would explain it.

That would explain why scammers have your email address.

• Like 2

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

@tripsis that explains it then, this was honestly the first scam email i have ever got. I was thinking this was a rare thing since i have played RS since 2001 and this is the first time I have got an email like this. Well i guess all is good then.  Is it(runescape scam emails) common and not worth posting about then?

I've gotten that one for years.

I also get one for WOW of a similar tone.

Funny thing is I never registered any emails or made any accounts on any WOW fansites. (So Blizzard's forums were comprised at some point, lol...)

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

They all do.

Alot cut and paste the terms and services straight off Jagex's website.

Some even have the Jagex.com or some variant of it pasted up in the sender.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

@tripsis that explains it then, this was honestly the first scam email i have ever got. I was thinking this was a rare thing since i have played RS since 2001 and this is the first time I have got an email like this. Well i guess all is good then.  Is it(runescape scam emails) common and not worth posting about then?

Yeah they are pretty common, so they're probably not worth posting about. There was a time when I was getting a couple a week (they've died down a bit for me lately though).

Posted Image

Yeah they are pretty common, so they're probably not worth posting about. There was a time when I was getting a couple a week (they've died down a bit for me lately though).

I still haven't gotten a single one so far, but this is most likely because I use a seperate email for Forums to avoid stuff like this. It is only used for registration etc.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

By the way, remember to forward Runescape scam emails to reportphishing at jagex.com, so they can do whatever they do with those.

I very rarely get any such emails myself, which is odd.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

By the way, remember to forward Runescape scam emails to reportphishing at jagex.com, so they can do whatever they do with those.

Would sending source code suffice? Seeing as I do not want to open such emails! Just asking this in case I do get an scam-mail...

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

The easiest ways to spot scam e-mails, with any game or service or website, is the "Dear Sir/Madam/Mr/Mrs".

Most companies address you by either your real name or your ingame name.

So Jagex would address me as "Dear Nox"

• Like 1

Would sending source code suffice? Seeing as I do not want to open such emails! Just asking this in case I do get an scam-mail...

Can you not forward emails without opening them? Never tried, I'd think that'd be possible but now I'm not sure...

Anyway, I'd think source code would be better than nothing, if that's what you're comfortable doing! (might also include the listed sender address, if the source code doesn't include that already)

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Thanks for the warning. I used to get tons of these before, but now I only get a few every year. Much because of that I have removed my email adress from a lot of profiles and such I think.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak