[WIP] [150+ KPH] Tormented Demons...

Veiva

Work in Progress

This guide is very much a draft. I don't have it as nicely formatted as it should be, but I'm gonna work on that after I finish the relevant parts.

Introduction

In this guide, I'm not going to elaborate on the super basics. We know what Tormented Demons drop and how dangerous they are. Instead, my guide is to make it more accessible to reach high KPH without much trouble.

You are expected to know the layout of the dungeon. If not, feel free to run down there and pray mage while getting a good idea of the nooks and crannies.

Equipment

Gear is important for any boss, but the best gear for killing Tormented Demons deviates from the standard.

05YwJOj.png

As for an explanation of this gear...

Weapons

Dual wielding is the best for one reason: stacking damage. As explained in the ability bar setup, you want to deal as much damage between switches, and two-handed weapons really don't offer the best abilities or mechanics to do so.

Bolt-based range weapons are hands down the best, ensuring almost 100% accuracy when the Tormented Demon decides to be weak to range. Fire-based magic is best, similarly ensuring almost flawless accuracy when the Tormented Demon is weak to mage.

Melee is horrible here. Too often you have to run in and mess up the lures around the plinth, resulting in you taking unnecessary damage. Similarly, Tormented Demons are never weak to melee weapons--even drygores aren't as accurate as you'd like most of the time, greatly reducing DPS. Therefore, never use melee.

Lastly, to ensure maximum DPS and shortest kills, bring holy water. As explained in the fighting section, you should rarely use any up, and they always knock down the Tormented Demon's shield, 100% of the time. You can attack with range first, and then switch to holy water the next tick, to deal as much damage as possible from the very start, but I find it unreliable and there's a chance the range weapon misses, neutering the small advantage you have.

Armour

First, ([superior] elite) void armour is not the best to achieve the maximum KPH possible because of the increase in healing and prayer potions necessary for hour-long trips. Unless you do not ever get piled by multiple TDs with different combat styles (something that doesn't happen with the strategy employed), there's just not enough inventory space and thus this setup cannot be adjusted without reducing trip length by half.

Therefore, the most viable armour for hour trips is Dragon rider. It greatly reduces the prayer drain, which increases the inventory space available for other stuff. In the (somewhat common) event you get piled by more than two Tormented Demons, it also provides much better armour bonuses and reduces the damage you'll take, even if only slightly. Keep in mind Tormented Demons have pretty high accuracy, so the healing reduction isn't as helpful as the prayer reduction.

Necklace

There's only one necklace you should be using and that's the blood fury necklace. Its siphoning effect pierces the prayers of Tormented Demons targeting you and provides necessary passive healing to survive.

Ring

Ring of Death is most viable here, providing generous passive healing (it has a chance of resorting 500 health whenever a Tormented Demon dies). The adrenaline reducing effect of the asylum surgeon's ring is useless 99 out of 100 times because of the particular ability rotations used. Vigour is unnecessary because there's no need to use ultimate abilities.

Aura

You have a couple choices. Vampyrism is hands down the best, reducing or even eliminating the need to heal. The prayer-reducing (or is it prayer-potion-increasing; to be honest I only use Vampyrism) aura is second best. Penance is useless--you shouldn't be taking that much damage that it becomes useful.

Pocket

IDK... I use a charming imp because I collect the charms (162 blue and 99 crimsons are gotten on average--pretty much the best charm dropper in-game, outside really boring stuff like Glacors [maybe? I don't know the Glacor KPH/charm rates]). If you want to increase DPS, use Elements/Cruelty I guess.

Inventory

This is my fine-tuned inventory:

x0VvHqM.png

KEEP A SPARE SAPPHIRE LANTERN IN YOUR BANK. It will save you in the event YOU DIED.

Comments, from left-to-right, top-to-bottom

• Excalibur greatly reduces food usage if you use it wisely.
  • Overloads and prayer renewals, of course!I have yet to gain access to the elf city. You can save two inventory slots by doing that and using holy overloads.
  • Since I don't have/use holy overloads, I just use super prayer potions (I know, inefficient overall). If you have holy overloads, replace these with six super restore flasks (or even six prayer potion flasks).
  • Saradomin brews are necessary for the often-but-occasional times when more than one demon is attacking you and you don't or can't switch prayers.
  • Weapon poison++. Does passive damage through prayer, increasing your KPH noticably.
  • Adrenaline potion is used here and there if you happen to need it. With proper ability rotations, you should only need to take one sip at the beginning of the trip.
  • Iron titan is the best familiar to use here, hands down. Steel Titan can and often will use range attacks, greatly damaging your KPH because 1) it will automatically switch the Tormented Demon's prayer to range and so 2) it will reduce KPH (and adrenaline gains because you'll have to rely more on mage), since you can deal more damage than it can just about everytime. Iron Titan uses melee most of the time, a style you won't be using, therefore helping out more ways I can explain, other than the useful extra DPS and forcing melee prayers.
  • Using smoke runes saves an inventory space. They may be expensive but since you'll be using abilities, rarely will they be used up.
  • Spring cleaner increases GP/HR by 600k. Tormented Demons drop lots of rune armour. Lots. Need I explain more?
  • Enhanced ectoplasmator: I just use it to help track/verify my KPH (via prayer XP). Also it keeps the litter off the floor. It's really not efficient otherwise. Because wow 7k prayer xp an hour!!
  • Home teleport tab is used to GTFO when you screw up too much or just to leave after the hour is up
Ability bars

You'll need two ability bars for maximum DPS:

ceSvu9m.png

hHahYY1.png

Other than the mage and range specific differences, they're identical.

Prayers

You should have all three prayers on your bar. I have my mage and range prayers bound to two buttons on my 'gamer mouse', which is useful enough most of the time. In the off chance I have to be within melee distance of a Tormented Demon while they are meleeing, I just click on the melee prayer in the bar. Of course, for action bar keyboard gurus, this probably doesn't matter.

Notice I have Torment on the mage bar and Anguish on the range bar. Using these curses is a massive help, and will increase you DPS (well, of course). When I switch bars, I also switch prayers. This ensures I deal the most damage possible.

Healing

I have saradomin brews on the bar so I can chug on one between attacks, if necessary. I have a button on my mouse that is bound to that slot, which makes it much easier. Also, excalibur is a simple double-tap to heal, which is better than equipping it from the inventory, then switching to gear, then right click -> activate. But that's pretty standard in PvM... I think.

Surge

Sometimes the demons feel like being spread out. I have them target me then surge towards the middle plinth. It helps... once in a while.

Killing a Tormented Demon, a Step-by-Step Mini-Guide

• Equip holy water.
  • Queue piercing shot and then attack the Tormented Demon.
  • Switch main-hand weapon to match off-hand. From here, use ability rotations to kill demon, switching weapons and ability bars as necessary.
So what are the ability rotations, you may be wondering? Depending on which abilities are on cool down, these are the best rotation, in order:

Range ability rotations

Always start with needle strike. If you deal over 3100 damage, switch to mage (this happens, but not as often as you'd think). On the other hand, if you deal under 3100 damage (which will be the case most of the time), do the following:

• If you have health to spare: launch bombardment and then immediately queue shadow tendrils. This can result in over 12000 damage, though it will usually do much less.
  • If you don't have health to spare: launch bombardment and then immediately queue piercing short.
  • Launch snapshot. Both hits will land.
  • Launch snipe. Generally, you only do this if all the abilities are on cooldown.
Mage ability rotations

This one is a bit simpler, but also less versatile:

• Launch concentrated blast and then immediately queue wild magic. Regardless of the damage dealt by concentrated blast, wild magic will hit twice. This means you can deal over 9000 damage, literally, before switching weapons, though most of the time it will be less. If you use a staff, wild magic will not hit the second splash if more than 3100 magic damage was dealt, hence why I cannot stress enough to use dual wielding.
  • Launch asphyxiate and then after the first damage splat appears, queue wrack. Generally, you'll deal two splats of damage from asphyxiate unless the first hits over 3100 plus wrack damage. No other ability should be used over wrack, because they are delayed and thus if the Tormented Demon switches prayers, the attack will be useless.
  • Lauch concentrated blast and then immediately queue dragon's breath. Sometimes you will need to follow up with wrack if this doesn't deal enough damage, however unlikely it may be.
Switching gear

You switch weapons after each rotation, outlined prior, unless the rotation did not do enough damage (suprisingly, this does happen sometimes). Follow up with basics. If your Iron Titan is always attacking, as it should be, this will generally never be a problem.

How to switch gear efficiently

Have the mage and range ability bars bound to a key (I have them bound to 'A' and 'S'). Also have the prayer slot bound to a key (I use 'X'). When you switch bars, immediately press X. At the same time, you should also have equipped the next weapons. Generally, you'll need to click on the first weapon, and when it is switched out of your inventory, equip the next. This seems to eliminate 'dead clicks'. Therefore, don't spam click to equip the next set of weapons, otherwise you'll find you often don't equip one or both of them.

Locations

Stone of Jas plinth (middle, minimal luring, advanced difficulty

[insert video here]

The hands-down best location is the plinth where the Stone of Jas resided. Explaining how to lure them here is kind of difficult--actually, it's very difficult. You'll have to learn from experience. This location is best on worlds of 200 to 400 population (less is worse, more is difficult), otherwise the demons spawn way too quickly and will proceed to make you their indentured servant or just not spawn fast enough, making you wait around.

Try and only have Tormented Demon attacking you. Sometimes you'll have to lure nearby ones around the plinth while killing one. Try and stay away from the plinth so you attract other Tormented Demons. Running around is not efficient and will greatly impact your KPH.

Also you may be attacked by more than one demon. If the demons are using the same style, great! Kill your target ASAP and move on to the next. If they are using different styles, then switch prayers between their attacks. This is not always possible (the attacks may land at the same time), in which case try and move around the plinth until only one demon is attacking you. If that's not possible without attracting more, just heal as necessary and pile through your target.

Try and never have more than two demons attacking you. When they switch styles, it oftentimes means they will massacre you.

I get over 150 KPH on average with Ascension crossbows and Virtus wand + book using this location.

Southern rocks (no luring, medium difficulty)

[insert video here]

The next best location is the southern spot (I recommend this location for advanced-beginners [haha]). Try not to lure them if you can help it, since it'll prepare you for the plinth. I kill the western, then the middle, then the eastern one, and surge back to the western one. At peak efficiency, you're looking at 125 KPH at tier 80 and above. Better weapons are neglible since you are bound by spawn time more than kill time.

Never use the northern spot. It sucks.

Statistics

For those interested, I have logged over 22,000 kills with varying methods and rates. On average and at peak efficiency, I kill about 150 Tormented Demons an hour, using Ascension crossbows and Virtus wand + book, using the plinth spot.

Limb drop rate is approximately 1:250 (claws are also 1:250). Armour drops are rarer, but are generally worth more than claws. You can expect 162 blue and 99 crimsons at 150 KPH (36% of dropping 3 blue charms, 22% of dropping 3 crimson charms).

Since prices are so variable, there's no idea of GP/HR rates. At the moment (2015/01/21), I make shy of 10m GP/HR. Factoring in expenses, it's close to or more than 9m GP/HR.

As of writing, I've recorded, in my latest log starting in July 2014: 92 limb drops, 86 claw drops, and 57 armour shards.

• Like 2

ozXHe7P.png

A few things, mate:

Tormented Demon weakness affects the kill very little. Melee will almost always out DPS ranged - especially when considering high-level familiars. Only time my brother's been able to out hit me (and rarely) when he's using ranged and I'm in melee is if he has a superior cruelty.

Abilities such as snipe and asphyxiate shouldn't be used. Bombardment is iffy, as it takes so long to do damage and if damage is done during the animation (perhaps by another player), the hits will not hit through prayer like wild magic/snap shot/assault will.

The ideal abilities for magic are wrack, dragon breath, impact, and wild magic.

If you insist on ranging, piercing shot, needle strike, binding shot, and snap shot.

This is what I do when using melee and magic:

- Weaken

- Assault

- Immediately switch to magic (before you see the hits)

- Wild Magic

- Immediately switch to melee (before you see the hits)

- Destroy

- If the TD is not dead...

- Switch to magic

- Wrack or basic

Steel titan does not only mage/range. If you practice at positioning your titan to where it almost becomes a reflex, placing it on the west side of your target will force it to 4x melee. There's a few tricks to manipulating the steel titan to force it to use various attack styles - or mixtures of each. ;).

If you want a few more tips and ideas, let me know and when I get home from work I'll post a few. :P. But I've gotta get to bed! Good luck with the guide!

09144a99bb.png

I disagree with your ability usage for the most part. Asphyxiate can hit upwards of 5000 damage before impact. Bombardment does not take too long; it takes exactly one attack later to activate, meaning I stack it with binding shot and can deal up to 6000 or more damage (+ prior piercing shot damage that never hits more than 3100).

Wild magic does not necessarily hit through prayer. Ever hit a 3100+ with the first wild magic blast? The rest will hit 0 because the demon instantly switches. If this changes in the case of a wand versus staff, then fine; but it doesn't happen with a staff.

I haven't used melee [regularly], because I haven't found that it speeds up my kills. I haven't successfully been crashed yet, even though I'm on a lootshare world most of the time, so either the crashers suck I or just out DPS them.

I don't disagree about magic breath, but I find it too situational (I need to be near the demon, and oftentimes [read: most kills] I kill it before it tries to melee me).

Although I was incorrect about the titan, it was only because I meant melee instead of mage (as the magic attack is pretty rare); I know it uses melee. I don't disagree about the titan being useful, I personally cannot manage it because of the absurd APM it requires. I've used it before to decent success, but then I get irritated at the APM requirement.

I'm just wondering how many you kill an hour with your setup? I am successfully getting 110-120 KPH without a titan, with an average of 112.

ozXHe7P.png

I'll have to join you on a trip sometime. ;). But, as I said, I was supposed to get to bed and ended up flirting talking with WMX on Skype. Will post a more detailed reply later.

As for the wild magic 3100-0, I've never had that happen. Though, as you said, they may have to do with the wand/singularity, but I doubt it.

09144a99bb.png

Omg .. I never knew about this holy water thing. I was wondering why I was only getting around 85 KPH with darklight..

I'll try using the holy water. Thanks. :).

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

How're nihils at TD's?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

How're nihils at TD's?

Sorry for the late reply! I haven't tried it, but I doubt they're too good for range/mage setups, considering they'll switch the demon's prayers to one you're using.

On a similar note, I think the chaotic staff > Virtus wand + Book (though of course not seismic wand + singularity) largely because you can use Wild Magic followed by Wrack, dealing more damage than Wild Magic alone in the same amount of time. Although the demon will switch prayer if the first hit of Wild Magic is higher than 3100, it's not the norm, so more than not you'll hit with Wrack as well.

Also, for trivia purposes, in the beta, Snipe & co. will knock the prayers down, leading to sub-10 kills with level 90 weapons. Fun fun fun.

ozXHe7P.png

Snipe, Havoc, Smash and Dragon Breath actually knock down NPC prayers? Wow, that's quite a change.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were a bug.

In any case, I've done more trials with my fresh ascension crossbows and have managed to get a consistent 120 KPH--at 10 KPH improvement. I'd assume seismics would bring it up that bit more, to maybe 130 KPH. Interesting stuff.

Though, even at 120 KPH, tormented demons seem to not be worth it anymore. Limbs have a hard time selling for 12m (in fact, overnight, my limbs didn't sell for that--but they sold for 11m, so oh well). 7m gp/hr for the effort it takes is not time well spent, when they were nearly 9m gp/hr with less effort before limbs crashed...

edit: I'd like to note I'm a total derp. Virtus wand + book > chaotic staff. I had forgotten to set my off-hand spell and was only using the main-hand spell for damage. Much expert. So dual wield. Very book. Wow.

ozXHe7P.png

• 7 months later...

So I updated this guide with my new findings, near gear, and the Combat Beta changes (wow, that was a long time ago).

Old guide, for reference:

[hide]

WIP

This guide is very much a draft. I don't have it as nicely formatted as it should be, but I'm gonna work on that after I finish the relevant parts.

Tormented Demon Killing Guide

In this guide, I'm not going to elaborate on the super basics. We know what Tormented Demons drop and how dangerous they are. Instead, my guide is to make it more accessible to reach high KPH without much trouble.

You are expected to know the layout of the dungeon. If not, feel free to run down there and pray mage while getting a good idea of the nooks and crannies.

How To Kill Them

Gear is important. The hands-down best gear is Elite Void. Tormented Demons are resistant to melee and switch between a weakness of magic (fire spells) and range (bolts), so we need to deal as much damage to their weaknesses as possible.

Here's an image of gear:

1Ukwn7W.png

Armour: If you don't have [Elite] void, the next best option is Dragon rider. It lets you have more free inventory spots (reduce the prayer potion usage), which is nice if you get a good drop early on. Otherwise, warpriest. Akrisae's armour is worthless nowadays with Dragon rider being so cheap.

Weapons: Dual wielding is best, DPS-wise [and mostly because of the tier 90 equipment], but two-handed weapons mean less error when switching. I use the best 2h weapons available at this time: royal crossbow and chaotic staff. Tier 75 gear works, but it will impact your speed considerably.

Etc: Aura is vampyrism and it's rarely necessary. I bring it so I can anti-crash better, if the need arises (it's rare, but it still happens). Boots are superior dragon rider (note they are a bit costly for the primary bit and become untradeable; warpriest boots are next best). Amulet is dragon rider, again, for prayer bonus and critical chance provisions to both styles. Cape is the best cape you can use. Pocket item is charming imp, but you can use a scrimshaw instead for a slight DPS boost.

Darklight or holy water? Holy water is necessary for max DPS. It never misses and will immediately weaken the Tormented Demon. Refer to the Legend's Quest guide on your favorite quest help site for more information on how to make it. I'd suggest creating 27 golden bowls first...

Inventory

r2KP5ND.png

I bring two of each overloads, prayer renewals, weapon poisons+, and adrenaline potions. The rest are prayer potions. Of course, bring runes and a sapphire lantern.

KEEP A SPARE SAPPHIRE LANTERN. It will save you in the event YOU DIED.

Overloads and prayer renewals are self-explanatory. However, the others may not be. Weapon poison+ is extremely cheap, but can be hard to buy at times. Tormented Demons can be poisoned, and they take upwards of 5 hits of it at 300 damage each during one kill, making poison extremely effective. There is no difference between poisons at the moment other than their duration. Adrenaline potions help ensure you can use thresholds whenever they are off cooldown. If you use the proper rotation, there is no need to sip more than one per overload dose.

For familiars, the steel titan is useless when you mage/range because it uses range as well. If you must bring a combat familiar, bring an iron titan. If you have high APM you may be able to add an extra 1500-2000 damage per kill with proper scroll usage, but timing is tricky...

In my case, I bring a bunyip. It means I don't have to use sacrifice as often, and just about covers most mistakes over time. Don't use a unicorn, it sucks. Instead, bring a beast of burden with food if necessary.

Abilities

You'll need two ability bars for maximum DPS:

PYtwNfV.png

fX4rLlY.png

Notice the similarities and differences. It's best to have all three prayer styles on the bar, followed by your basics, followed by your thresholds. I add sacrifice last so I don't accidentally use it (misclick, whatever). Last item is the offensive prayer for the relevant combat style.

Note: don't use revolution. It's horrible for killing Tormented Demons. Full manual, full time.

Ability usage/killing a Tormented Demon

Here's a video of what I do (first five minutes of a trip, first two are most relevant):

Don't worry, there's no music or fancy crap.

And here's it in text:

1. Always equip holy water before you attack the demon.

2. Queue piercing shot and then attack the demon.

3. Quickly switch to the relevant combat style and attack with certain rotations. After a full set of rotations, if the demon is still alive, kill it off with basics.

The rotation idea is simple: deal as much damage in one time period as possible (AKA one tick). Tormented Demons switch prayers after 3100 or more damage; hence, you want to do the "or more" so you can switch styles less often.

Abilities like bombardment take a few moments do deal damage, so stacking another powerful attack immediately is best. Wild magic and asphyxiate are similar.

Here's the rotations that work best for range:

1. Launch piercing shot, queue bombardment, and then queue binding shot [or piercing shot again, if binding shot is on cooldown] once bombardment is fired.

2. Piercing shot, queue snapshot.

3. Piercing shot, queue snipe.

Here's the rotations that work best for mage:

1. Wild magic, and then immediately queue wrack.

2. Asphyxiate, wait until the first hit lands, and then queue impact (or wrack, if impact is on cooldown).

The order you use the rotations is not necessary, but the above is the order of importance. If you can't do rotation 1 for range, then the next best is 2, then 3. Same for magic.

Hints & Tips

Ability bar usage: I have Ability Bar 1 bound to the "A" key and Ability Bar 2 bound to the "S" key. This allows me to switch between them immediately. Once I switch to a different bar, I immediately press "X" which will activate the correct prayer.

Luring: Lure only if two or more demons are attacking you. If you kill them in a constant order and do it quickly enough, this will rarely be a problem. You can use niches in the east and west side to hide. It's hard to explain how to lure them, because it changes depending on their position and other factors. You must learn through trial-and-error. Also, prioritize mage/range prayers over melee. Their melee attack seems to be less accurate and hits lower.

Keep adrenaline full! If no demon is nearby after you kill one, keep an eye on your combat timer. The moment you're out of combat, use freedom or anticipate. You want to be able to use thresholds 90% of the time.

Statistics

For those interested, here are some statistics in regards to gp/hr rates, etc. At 5800 kills logged over 57 hours, I average 100 KPH. This, however, includes me not learning the optimal strategy outlined below. Once you get up to speed, it's realistically 110 or more KPH.

Both dragon limbs and dragon claws drop at the same rate. Their drop rate is unknown, of course, and within 95% confidence is anywhere between 200 and 500. However, from personal experience, expect it to be closer to 1:250. Armour pieces are rarer, and although they aren't worth much in comparison, are still worth picking up.

I don't pick up any other drops. That's just too much APM to alchemize them or bank them with a yak. Stackables aren't good either because of the initial inventory space limitation.

And, the most fun bit, at just one trip shy of 6000 kills, I've gotten 22 limbs and 22 claws, as well as 17 armour pieces. This means, at the time of writing, I've profited upwards of 426 million to 463 million in 57 hours, making Tormented Demons around an awesome 7.4 million to 8 million gp/hr. And it's pretty consistent compared to other bosses because of how common the limbs and claws actually are. Longest dry streak was 1100 kills (no limbs, only three claw drops and various armour pieces), but it averages out in the end.[/hide]

ozXHe7P.png

• 2 weeks later...

Would using nox tribrid be practical?

If you constantly rotate, you wouldn't have to worry about your next hit landing on a style that is blocked by the tds' prayers.

You also have a constant stream of thresholds available to you

Of course, this is only when spawn rate is the only factor that's limiting your kills.

If you constantly rotate, you wouldn't have to worry about your next hit landing on a style that is blocked by the tds' prayers.

Of course, this is only when spawn rate is the only factor that's limiting your kills.

I wrote a simulator for TDs. Its logic only supports melee/range switching for the calculations at the moment. I am updating it with hit-chance (currently it assumes 100% hit chance, which isn't far from the truth with tier 90s, but alas, I want accurate simulations!) at the moment, and then moving on to support any variable amount of gear (mage/range, melee/mage, mage/range/melee) and will get back to you then.

However, I do think noxious is less effective than dual wielding. Needle Strike is a flat 5% DPS boost for things like Bombardment, Shadow Tendrils, and Snap Shot's first hit. Wild Magic also will always hit twice with dual-wielding, resulting in massive damage on average compared to staves. Dual-wield switching should be just as efficienct as two-hand switching if you can count ticks and only equip the stuff at the beginning of a tick, so two-handed weapons are actually worse at peak efficiency.

Watch this space!

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

I wrote a simulator for TDs. Its logic only supports melee/range switching for the calculations at the moment. I am updating it with hit-chance (currently it assumes 100% hit chance, which isn't far from the truth with tier 90s, but alas, I want accurate simulations!) at the moment, and then moving on to support any variable amount of gear (mage/range, melee/mage, mage/range/melee) and will get back to you then.

However, I do think noxious is less effective than dual wielding. Needle Strike is a flat 5% DPS boost for things like Bombardment, Shadow Tendrils, and Snap Shot's first hit. Wild Magic also will always hit twice with dual-wielding, resulting in massive damage on average compared to staves. Dual-wield switching should be just as efficienct as two-hand switching if you can count ticks and only equip the stuff at the beginning of a tick, so two-handed weapons are actually worse at peak efficiency.

Watch this space!

Pretty intensive clicking though haha

Sorry autocorrect

I just ran a few large simulations. Not like it takes more than 30 seconds to simulate 1000 hours...

1000 simulations of Tormented Demons (1 hour trips, using tier 90 dual-wield of all three styles) is on average 176 kills an hour at peak efficiency. Max kills in an hour during these simulations was 185, min was 168.

1000 simulations of Tormented Demons (1 hour trips, using tier 90 two-handed of all three styles) is on average 173 kills an hour at peak efficiency. Max kills in an hour during these simulations was 182, min was 166.

1000 simulations of Tormented Demons (1 hour trips, using tier 90 dual-wield magic and range weapons) is on average 175 kills an hour at peak efficiency. Max kills in an hour during these simulations was 182, min was 167.

1000 simulations of Tormented Demons (1 hour trips, using tier 90 two-handed magic and range weapons) is on average 169 kills an hour at peak efficiency. Max kills in an hour during these simulations was 179, min was 160.

Some notes:

1. The simulation will complete a rotation even if it may not be the most efficient action (i.e., the Tormented Demon switches prayer mid-rotation). Generally, I can't react fast enough in such an event to make this inaccurate. YMMV.

2. I am not sure what are the best melee rotations. I used Stev's advise, some earlier trial-and-error, and some theory-Scapin' to develop the melee rotations.

3. I used superior elite void armour in these simulations. In reality, it's just about impossible to use in-game because if you get piled by the Tormented Demons, it's good game.

Keep in mind this is just a simulation. I made it as accurate as possible, but I'm sure, in-game, these records can be beat.

edit:

I did more research on how Demons switch their weakness. As it turns out, they spawn with a random weakness (either fire or bolts). Every time they switch prayers, they seem to have a 50:50 chance of switching to either a fire or bolts weakness. This means they can keep the same weakness for portions of a fight, or switch it every other swap. In the previous calculations I assumed 'neutral' weakness because I did not know how this worked, and did not want to skew the results too much (e.g., by assuming the best or worst).

I updated my calculator to reflect these changes. So here's the new data, where each simulation is again 1000 hours:

Tier 90 dual-wield magic, range, and melee: 169 average kills per hour (179 max, 161 min).

Tier 90 two-handed magic, range, and melee: 164 average kills per hour (175 max, 155 min).

Tier 90 dual-wield magic and range: 168 average kills per hour (178 max, 159 min).

Tier 90 two-handed magic and range: 161 kills per hour (170 max, 152 min).

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

• 2 weeks later...

And a bombardment doesnt stack if you fire a ranged attack after it now :/

I am aware of this. Such a nice burst DPS now nerfed.

Though, on the bright side, Wild Magic hits twice with a staff now! Thus staff > wand (because of that accuracy boosting basic, IDR its name off hand).

ozXHe7P.png

I thought wild magic always hit twice, regardless of the weapon you had (1h, 2h, dw)

Behavior before "responsive combat:" Wild Magic with a staff would hit twice only if the first hit was under 3100 damage (or less than 3100 magic damage had been dealt, i.e. using a wrack + wild magic). If the first hit triggered a prayer switch, the second would splash. This did not happen with dual-wielding.

After responsive combat, it doesn't matter anymore. Both hits of wild magic will active at once (so the only way for the second to miss is just a normal defense roll; the demon won't switch prayer until after the second hit).

ozXHe7P.png