Ban on violent video games

Fetal_Servitude

Maths Circus ftw! :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Hardly. Violence sells. It's the new 'sex sells' almost.

Except that they're both running strong.

yeh man. violence is the new sex.

Agree!

Imagine games without any violence, imagine that you couldnt even kick someone... how boring would it be? Just "school" games.... Lol...

~komodo

The most popular game on my Uni campus is Sudoku, a number game. After that come board games. Tetris and other puzzle games are non-violent.

There are TONS of non-violent good games.

I know there are tons of non-violet games that are good, but violent games are better in some cases, most of them I say. There is any violent game in your Uni campus? They dont let students play violent games, so they need non-violent games, not all schools and Unis makes this, but pretty big nmber does...

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png

Ours doesn't.

I play games that have gore and blood like Red Orchestra or Day of Defeat. But the context of violence is not there. In those games, I am a soldier doing my duty.

There is a difference between that, and games where your goal is to cause crimes like Grand Theft Auto. (Which is fun, but I can't stand San Andreas).

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Ours doesn't.

I play games that have gore and blood like Red Orchestra or Day of Defeat. But the context of violence is not there. In those games, I am a soldier doing my duty.

There is a difference between that, and games where your goal is to cause crimes like Grand Theft Auto. (Which is fun, but I can't stand San Andreas).

GTA isn't very fun anyway.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

First, why don't you like San Andreas?

Second, there is context in GTA, especially San Andreas. You're trying to fight police corruption and find out what really happened to your mom.

And to a lesser extent clean up your old neighborhood that's been run over by drug dealers.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Second, there is context in GTA, especially San Andreas. You're trying to fight police corruption and find out what really happened to your mom.

And to a lesser extent clean up your old neighborhood that's been run over by drug dealers.

I liked GTA3 because Ive grown up with movies like Scarface and the Godfather and other Mafia movies. In fact, I managed to make it through the game without killing any innocent civilians.

Why not San Andreas? First: Hot Coffee. Sorry, but if you remove content from your game, you should delete it instead of just putting a variable to lock it. Second, I don't like the gang war thing. In other GTA games, you knew that your enemies had bloody hands. In San Andreas, you just go beat the crap out of random gang members who don't even know you.

Its really just personal opinion. Now, for those people who just run around picking up [bleep] and killing them for cash for fun, that's not cool at all.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Two of the excellent educational games I remember well:

Zoombeenies

The Magic Schoolbus - the one inside the human body

Aaah, zoombeenies, good times... *goes to play it since he still has the cd :oops:*

Reminds me of Maths Workshop...

knkcopy.jpg

I liked GTA3 because Ive grown up with movies like Scarface and the Godfather and other Mafia movies. In fact, I managed to make it through the game without killing any innocent civilians.

Why not San Andreas? First: Hot Coffee. Sorry, but if you remove content from your game, you should delete it instead of just putting a variable to lock it. Second, I don't like the gang war thing. In other GTA games, you knew that your enemies had bloody hands. In San Andreas, you just go beat the crap out of random gang members who don't even know you.

Its really just personal opinion. Now, for those people who just run around picking up * and killing them for cash for fun, that's not cool at all.

So you don't like a game...because of content you don't have to do at all...Hot Coffee you have to go way out of your way to get, (and they have new versions of the game w/out it). and Second, in Vice City there's tonnes of random gang fights (example, go through Little Haiti, everyone shoots at you) and GTA, go through Mafia town, they shoot at you.

There's so much more to the game thenall this stuff...

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

The thing with violence is video games isn't a problem for any intelligent person.

Video games sold at a retailer have to got through some form of certification to decide what ages can play it. In Britain it is the BBFC (who also do films) that decides this. The arguements anyone has that violent video games curropt the minds of children is idiotic. These games should not be blamed for children imitating the violence they see. It is the parents fault as they allowed a game to be played by a child. I see no difference between video games and movies. These impartial organisations decide who is fit to play games and it is only idiotic people who say "but children will become mass murderers because of it". Strangely enough as violence in video games and video games sales are climbing higher and higher the rate of crimes commited by youths in the western world (Europe and America) is decreasing. There is no evidence to suggest that games cause violence.

The designer of a free 2d online shooter once said:

Violence in Media does not affect your psyche unless you are [developmentally delayed]ed.

I concur wholeheartedly. If you are able to blow a real person's head off just because you did it in a game, you my friend need severe therapy, and a large dose of prozac.

I concur wholeheartedly. If you are able to blow a real person's head off just because you did it in a game, you my friend need severe therapy, and a large dose of prozac.
Not quite. Prozac is an anti-depressant. You'd need a sedative to stop someone going out and shooting heads off people.

Not quite. Prozac is an anti-depressant. You'd need a sedative to stop someone going out and shooting heads off people.

My bad :oops: