Tip.It Times Presents: Biased Banning Raises Brows

oddfaery2

I totally agree with you there,

there have been many bans in the past months, where merchanters are seizing their chance to sell "rare items" even higher.

i'm not saying that jagex shouldn't ban players if they break the rules, but they should investigate each account personally to see what has \ hasn't happened.

:)

Benjy13.gif

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, and 100% true.

I can't remember where I heard it, but "I'd rather see 10 guilty men walk free than an innocent one be punished." Or something like that :? .

The point is, Jagex realized they were letting too many things slide and saw peoples complaints, but then went way overboard.

I agree with everything!! Also, I'm sorta lucky cuase I might have been banned for this, my brother used to play but sorta luckly he doesnt now and we have to computers so they might have banned me and my brother cause of the same router. Well i really hope jagex sees the article!

How about you stop having a whine about RuneScape and buy some of my steel nails for 28gp ea in the grand exchange, maybe some oak planks, and a hammer, build a bridge and get over it?

good read kept me intrested

jagex needs to come up with better ways of enforceing the multiple logging rule because people have friends that play at the same house and the computers could be on the same router

the way jagex is starting to enforce the rules makes me worry about my future as a player i mean i could get banned for something that i dont even know is rule breaking

First off, I agree with some parts of your article, but overall I disagree.

First off. You used the word "Bias" and its other forms in, what I feel, was an incorrect manner. As http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bias says, the word bias means, "A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment." In my oppinion, that means that to be biased is to have some outside reason to do those things.

Although, I think you more meant that they acted unfair with poor judgement (though not because of an unseen force). As with you friend "Limparse" I understand your point. I even agree and support it. He should not have just been banned. He should have been talked to by Jagex, and allowed his name to stay. It was, in no way, his fault that Jagex did not take the proper measures before hand.

And with the father-daughter trade, I see where it is unfair. But unfortunately Jagex only saw 2 accounts coming from the same IP address trading (probably one sided too). To them this was probably flagged (probably from the beginning with 2 of the same IP's), and upon seeing a one-sided trade, decided that it "must" be the same person. And unfortunately with the internet, you can't really find out real facts about who is playing, so Jagex just decided to, I assume, ban both of them.

And finally with the Tip.It banning, pardon me explaining them in reverse order, but they have a partially good point. While I do not agree with the bans, it is good that they are atleast trying to stop hacking and such. They, most likely, made that rule to stop real world scamming, keylogging for things such as credit cards, and of course, your Runescape file. The part of this I do not agree with is the fact that they do it for Tip.It. I'm sure we all remember the "Mournings End Part 2" fiasco. Tip.It made a guide in record time for one of the hardest quests, just to have jagex tell them to take it down. Yet they still wouldn't even admit that we exist!

Finally another thing going along with the Fansites, I was one of few people to see, and read runehq.com's (another, in my mind, trustworthy site) Player Mod Guide. I sent Jagex a message through their message center, asking about something commented, and what happens? By the end of the night it's gone. No word even mentioned. This later was explain to me (rather accidently) by my Forum Mod friend. I was asking him some things about being a mod, and appearntly they have to keep some things secret (the information in question being about locking threads). But to order around a site you basically think is scum? That's too much.

And finally (continuing on the fansite ranting) I am mad at Jagex for not recognizing fan sites. Many of these are highly trustworthy, and would rather die than become corrupt. Also many of these like Tip.it, Runehq.com, and RuneVillage.com, help out the runescaping community in many ways! Most of them have fairly extensive Anti-Hack, and Anti-Scam guides, let alone tons of calculators, guides, and tips!

Well, it's dinner time so I really ought to go.

91 RC!!! #332 to get it!

"D'you wear a black armband

When they shot the man

Who said 'Peace could last forever'" Guns N' Roses

Hmmm... I have 3 brothers which play Runescape, and I have give them stuff, recieved stuff, and played alongside them for over a year, and nothing bad has come of it... yet.

I myself tend to follow the rules "to the letter", but I do agree completely with this article.

However, I feel that using foreign language in names should be O.K - everywhere. I have had lots of trouble in the past thinking up names, so I reverted to what little German I knew.

Thus:

•  

Hochheiligen (High holy / Sacred)

Himmel Engel (Heaven/Sky Angel)

Himmlischer (Heavenly)

Klostermonch (Monastry Monk)

I also have a new one called Liogris (no meaning I know).

So - different languages bring diversity to Runescape. Plus, what happens when you run out of English names?

Plus, if you don't like foreign names, how can you stand things like 0000100 or other names which are just collections of letters?

totally! I got reported for saying "HYT"! And you know what? They messaged mesaying that i had a warning, not a black mark (thank god!) but still! unless you know what tipit is, HTY wouldnt mean anything to you..

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

The problem with Jagex is that they're much too slow to get anything done. The official fansite problem has been brought to their attention years ago... they just "haven't gotten around to it yet". How hard can it be to edit the fansite page saying "these are trusted sites"? Honestly now...

summerpngwy6.jpg

A really enjoyable article. It summed up some of the main problems nicely; in particular the recognition of fansites only when it is convenient to them, and the seemingly biased banning of names. I'm just glad im the only one who plays in my house, otherwise i'd be worried about being banned.

curanir1.png

Best Barrows Chest: guth skirt, dh helm, dh axe, racks, gp (23/08/06); best tt reward: robin, guthix helm, guthix legs, nats, rune legs

i acctually wrote to a jaxex mod and asked them if i would get banned if my brother was on the same network as mine i ahvet realy ahd a problems and they sed it was ok

also jagex sed that they banned over 5000 accounts for macroing and it wasnt just the account it was the ip so that mean say people share a computer....

that (in my opinion) is the very best tip.it times that i have ever read. It is very true and supportive. It really buckles down into the info. As I agree with all of it, I may have not been banned, but I always fear of being unfairly banned when i have done absoutly nothing. Sometimes how I act (like not talking while doing the same thing over... A.K.A. being very bored and not wanting to talk) like I might be autoing, when I am definately not. I always want to abide by the rules, and by a oerson like me, who does not break the rules, dont want ot be banned for a very (if i did ne thing) small thing.

Overall, great article, best ever! 8) Great job! :!: :!: :!:

i agree with this weeks tip.it times i think that thee should be no censor but it jagex should still have the rule of offencive lingo ,only crack down on it harder , the censor only compliqats things, like try typeing 1k untill 87 fishing although i know the word int here is a swear word its just messes things up even more i mean people are always gunna find a way aorund the cnsor that unavodable

Dang, gotta watch out now - I don't know how many times I've told a newbie asking me how to do a quest to just go to tip.it lol. Oh and that thing with accounts interacting or w/e on the same ip (or w/e...not totally sure wut it was)...that really sucks cause I play with my bro all the time on a dif computer in our house...I really hope I dont get banned cause of that! lol......... :(

dragonmblack,black%20%20%20pk3r.gif

black%20%20%20pk3r.gif

black%20%20%20pk3r.gif

I think Jagex has a thing against Tip.It since Mourning's End Prt. 2 fiasco.

Thank goodness my name isn't offencive (Nick 6464 =P) Everytime I go cutting yews, or mining I always say "hi" or ___ lvls? Mine's ___" to aviod people thinking I'm a auoter.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I agree. Jagex does the most rediclous things. I myself had a 3 day ban for saying to my freund go look at tip.it. Jagex needs to get its proities right and make the rules affect everyone that means that if a 105 and a 70 break the same rule and only the 70 get banned and the 105 doesnt even get a warning what does this show? people will start to resent jagex maybe even hate them for making 100+ people obvilous to the rules

Good article, agreeing with it all. I specially like the last sentence "End the hipocrisy", probably nothing worse than rule enforcement contradictions. Hope Jagex reads it.

Seriously, I remember seeing a screenshot of a Jmod saying ingame "We at the office use firefox"... it doesn't get any more hypocritical than that.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

hey ill take my time to post this..

Subject: Re: Your RuneScape Account

Date: 28 Feb 2006 14:32

Delete

Hi Sachicha,

You have been caught sharing your character with another player.

Please refer to article number 6 in the rules:

Rule 6: Each account should only be used by ONE person. Account sharing is NOT allowed. You must not sell, transfer, share, or lend your account to anyone else. You may not accept an account which somebody else offers you.This behaviour will NOT be tolerated in RuneScape.

Our report abuse system means there is no chance of your getting away with breaking the rules anymore.

Please make sure you have read the rules on conduct found in the RuneScape Manual at: http://www.runescape.com

These rules are being strictly enforced and must not be broken.

Unfortunately, due to the severity of this complaint, your account has been permanently banned

If you feel you have been banned in error, you may send us ONE appeal. For the appeal to be successful you will need to explain why the ban should be lifted, and will need to convince us there won't be any further problems with this account.

To make an appeal please do so through the 'Ban Appeal' section in the Customer Support area of the RuneScape website at::

http://www.runescape.com

--

sach stats was = 100 combat, 85 mining, 85 magic , 82 wc, 86 fletch.. etc

have tons of cash who i earned by myself on playing a lots of hours im not getting back, even not sleeping sometimes to just keep playing the game..

so this is like this.. i spend years playing this, and now they cant spend " 10 - 30 secs " to check what im talking about".. :? "good job dudes"..

already sent 2 appeals

Subject: Re: Your Recent RuneScape Query

Date: 11 Mar 2006 03:10

Delete

Hi Sachicha,

I am sorry to say that your ban appeal has not been successful.

This decision is *final* and any further ban appeals will not be considered.

Sincerely,

RuneScape Customer Support

... why account share?

thing is my internet service give me every time i lagg or loose conection a new ip just clicking " ip refresh".. why? im not sure .. they should really read this letter and do something they went crazy .. =\

member of my clan got permanent bann and even lost "crown" for saying " lol tip it calc"...

thats not advertising im sure ..

now what? lost main, lost times and lots of hours i didnt sleep ?... dont they think about what ppl loose when u bann some1 inocent?.. i dont think so..

what about the kids? and ppl who think this is more than a game " like i tho" .. they think this is just a game, for some pp who spent a lot in this, its like a "life, even can be called " virtual life", i mean

almost every1 who play this game spend more in playing than in living his own life?

thats truth, sorry for my english :shock: .. not american, "venezuela"

i personally dont think they will do anything if they read this letter and forum letter, i just gave up today

wish luck every1 :wink:

*sach*