Tip.It Times Presents: Biased Banning Raises Brows

oddfaery2

this is just messed

and if limparse is offensive, y doesn't the chat block it???

I ask my mate to look after something and he does, runescape have nought against it but be it your family in the same house like droolman (who took me under his wing when I started 5 years back) they say its rule breaking when their rules say about self trading, not family trading.

2kwooada.png

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddfaery2, Not to be a total jerk or anything. But you know how your sig says "Proud to be highest ranked player who can't even pot into fish in guild". Well that is a lie, and you can get into the fish guild eating the admiral pie witch boosts your fishing level buy 5 so you would be 68 fishing and be able to use the fishing guild.

133rd to 91 runecrafting. 212th to 99 runecrafting - 145th to 99 construction

Whip drops: 38

Dark Bow drops: 12

Owner of fire cape: 7/30/06

dp_crazy.png

The whole is offensive name things is stupid anyway. Someone could have the name "Jesus is my homeboy" or "Godkicksyour's" and an atheist who plays the game could find it offensive. Just because I say the D-word doesn't mean that everbody gets offended by it. It's just the [developmentally delayed]s who have to whine about every little thing just to be politically correct.

Word to that whole article. I've mentioned tipit to people who have a question about something in the game once or twice as they have all the customer support that the Runescape site ought to have but doesn't and it seems nuts that I could be banned or muted for that.

some of the rules jagex has are ridiculous.

my brother, me being his younger sister, gives me stuff and we trade all the time. i never knew we werent allowed to do that. we live in the same house and have a router so both computers have the same ip.

-edit- frizoid says they can tell, but dont give large amounts of things. what if that was ur trade? my brother and i only trade in bulk. and when we dont trade in bulk... well for example: im not a high lvl (70 i believe) and about 25 lvls ago i was still using addy, so my brother gave me some glories and rune. thats expensive to me.. and it seems like im a noob at 45 compared to my brothers 96.. and i couldnt even use the rune armor yet so i was storing it. is that suspicious to u? hahaha. if someone wants to give a noob their valuables it should be their business, unless the noob starts selling it.

the inappropriate name thing is so stupid. i see people walkin around all the time with offensive names, but do they get banned? no. jagex should either get a better filter like the editor said or stop playing favorites and ban anyone they find with an offensive name.

-edit- frizoid says the name checking part of jagex is now manual. thats a lot of names to check bud. he also says the names from RC that came to the new runescape were in effect before the new rule was passed for the inappropriate names thing. in cases like that jagex should allow them to change it. not just let them keep playing. they ban the new ones, they should ban the old ones, or give both a fair chance to change their name before banning.

thats just about all i have to say about this.

-I have no cool sig-

Seg

What is going on with Jagex?! Have they lost their minds or something?

I'm not one to really complain about the way the law is handed down, but this is just plain ridiculous. WHY would you ban someone for helping their DAUGHTER? How silly is that? What would make them think that it's the same person? (Well, it IS technically the same person if you looked at it through their gene pool...)

Jagex seriously needs to stop tightening the chain. They seriously need to lighten up. For those that think names are offensive in ONE language, then look it up in ANOTHER. I mean, I know the name "Makoto" means "sincerity" in Japanese, but in another language it could mean something completely different.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

man great article....umm man

im sure glad my sis quite cause we use the same comp.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

What does Jagex say about a public library or school lab? "Oh, sorry, only one of you can give us money? We only want $5 a month instead of the possible hundreds per month?"

Is Jagex really that anal about that? I mean honestly. I created my account at a public library. My brother did. Two of my friends did. Is that grounds to ban all of us because Jagex would have grounds to THINK we are cheating?

And why would Jagex want to ban someone who has been a member for 5 years? 5 years = 60 months, Membership = $5 a month, $5 x 60 = $300

Why would Jagex want to lose a $300 customer over a name like A55H0L3?

My thoughts exactly.

ue5wr.jpg

Wow...I just scanned it with my new high tech program called "common sense" and it detected a scam.

That was a well written article and fun to read but I disagree with most of it. The only thing I really agree on is the name thing. People should be able to have whatever name they want as far as I'm concerned, so what. I don't know when the rule about appropriate names was implemented but I imagine it's been around for some time. Long enough that most of these people that have been banned probably could of read the rule and avoided their own demise. Come on, you had to know when you created a name like "poo on you" or whatever ridiculous phrase was used that it wasn't going to end well.

As far as biased banning, this is just a far fetched guess here, but maybe the name rule didn't come in affect until after these characters were created. That might explain why these people haven't been banned. If anything it's worth looking into to atleast have some facts behind your words. You did say that most if the offensive names you found were relatively high leveled?

I think this whole attack on Jagex is pretty unfounded though. All these supposed unfair bans are all based on one sided stories. You don't know what information Jagex has on these people. You only know what these people claim to have happened. One side of a story makes for a nice fairytale but by no means represents absolute truth.

All in all I feel this article was an unjustified attack on Jagex trying to make them out as some evil tyrant rather than creators of a game we all like to play. Look at it this way, if you want to play their game you're going to have to play by their rules. Yea you pay 5 dollars a month, that doesn't give you the right to tell them how to run their game, suggestions, sure but they are still in control. This whole situation was started by them trying to appease the masses. You all cried and complained about macroers, cheater and whatever else you could think up so they had to step up their game and ban some people, now that they're doing that you are complaining about that. It's never good enough. I'd go insane if I had to listen to all the hypocrisy of the players. If you guys hate the game so much, stop playing. If you break a rule either knowingly or not, expect to get punished for it.

I personally enjoy this game very much and am smart enough to follow the simple rules they've provided so I can continue to enjoy the game. And if one day I ever decide that one of their rules are stupid and decide to break it, I won't be suprised when I'm banned for it.

Now, I'm not saying that Jagex are godly and don't make mistakes, we're all human here. But give em a break. Atleast they have a system where you can appeal when you feel you've been wrongly accused of something. If they really didn't care, they wouldn't listen to the playerbase and they wouldn't even give you an option to appeal. As big as the RS community is, I'm pretty impressed with how they still manage to hear out the community and try to do what they want when they can. Bah, I've babbled long enough...

sig_trippy2.jpg

Why should we buy postage stamps when we can make our own?

aperson being

I'm dissapointed to see an article with such potential spoilt by drowning some good points - about the need for cohesion and better co-ordination in the banning process, the ineffectuality of some of their current methods of detection/prevention, and some of the suggestions for improvements to the service - with a lot of bad ones.

`Moaning that a tip.it contributer was banned because their 'reflexive Portugeese verb' contains a swearword (Carrotc*ck might be Gujurat for 'hello', but that doesn't mean the name is inoffensive)

`Whinging that Jagex banned someone who had an account that looked just like it was a mule.

Etc

These things and more (as detailed by some of the other dissenters on this thread) ruin what might have been an excellent article. It just comes across to me far more like "omg life is so unfair on tipit members" than "here's a reasoned analysis of thet problems jagex has and constructive suggestions to sort it out" - i'm sure that wasn't the intention, but that's how it reads to me.

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

That was a well written article and fun to read but I disagree with most of it. The only thing I really agree on is the name thing. People should be able to have whatever name they want as far as I'm concerned, so what. I don't know when the rule about appropriate names was implemented but I imagine it's been around for some time. Long enough that most of these people that have been banned probably could of read the rule and avoided their own demise. Come on, you had to know when you created a name like "poo on you" or whatever ridiculous phrase was used that it wasn't going to end well.

As far as biased banning, this is just a far fetched guess here, but maybe the name rule didn't come in affect until after these characters were created. That might explain why these people haven't been banned. If anything it's worth looking into to atleast have some facts behind your words. You did say that most if the offensive names you found were relatively high leveled?

I think this whole attack on Jagex is pretty unfounded though. All these supposed unfair bans are all based on one sided stories. You don't know what information Jagex has on these people. You only know what these people claim to have happened. One side of a story makes for a nice fairytale but by no means represents absolute truth.

All in all I feel this article was an unjustified attack on Jagex trying to make them out as some evil tyrant rather than creators of a game we all like to play. Look at it this way, if you want to play their game you're going to have to play by their rules. Yea you pay 5 dollars a month, that doesn't give you the right to tell them how to run their game, suggestions, sure but they are still in control. This whole situation was started by them trying to appease the masses. You all cried and complained about macroers, cheater and whatever else you could think up so they had to step up their game and ban some people, now that they're doing that you are complaining about that. It's never good enough. I'd go insane if I had to listen to all the hypocrisy of the players. If you guys hate the game so much, stop playing. If you break a rule either knowingly or not, expect to get punished for it.

I personally enjoy this game very much and am smart enough to follow the simple rules they've provided so I can continue to enjoy the game. And if one day I ever decide that one of their rules are stupid and decide to break it, I won't be suprised when I'm banned for it.

Now, I'm not saying that Jagex are godly and don't make mistakes, we're all human here. But give em a break. Atleast they have a system where you can appeal when you feel you've been wrongly accused of something. If they really didn't care, they wouldn't listen to the playerbase and they wouldn't even give you an option to appeal. As big as the RS community is, I'm pretty impressed with how they still manage to hear out the community and try to do what they want when they can. Bah, I've babbled long enough...

very nicely written :)

and dP_Crazy... my sig says nothing about those stupid pies... now does it? I can't pot into the fishing guild...

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

Jagex have some serious issues.

Apparently, "google" is an inappropriate website. It's only used by practically everyone on earth. They really need to shape up. I am personally quitting the game, rather than be banned; I'm far too scared that I'll get banned for telling a friend to get on MSN, or check a helpsite for assistance in a quest.

They're idiotic prats.

This sounded like propaganda to me.

Because tip.it is a fan site, is it somehow above the rules of Rs? Jagex makes the rules to protect their users, so that they don't get people writing them messages about how they were hacked visiting sites mentioned by people. Didn't these forums have people stealing passwords through pictures posted? In the eyes of Jagex, I would assume that they view every site as a potential hazard and agree that any site mentioned should be a black markable offence.

The editor at the end writes, "I hope Jagex sees this." Does the editor wish Jagex to see this because of the names mentioned in the article? "Even high ranked players such as our beloved Droolman have suffered from this." Then goes on to state, "I myself could name at least fifty players who are level 110 combat or higher with indisputably offensive names... They do not get banned. " Although the points come from two different rule breaking points, they are one in the same. Because Droolman is a beloved member of this community, is he any better then the fifty 110 combat players with offensive names? I don't see how the ban could be called unjust, by letting him off scot free, you're stating that someone with a high standing in a fan based community is a rung above all the other players. You call jagex biased to long playing people and yet Droolman was banned?

I'm tired so I'm not going to write anymore, but just a few thing to take home.

-Don't mention names in articles

-Jagex is doing the best they can, with roughly 1m people playing the game, there will always be mistakes

-Although there will be mistakes, I believe that 90% of the bans and black marks are justified.

-Tip.it and it's members have to follow the rules that Jagex puts out, in no way are they above their rules because everyone knows about them or because they are popular.

To be honest i'm just waiting for Jagex to ban me and my real life friend who have accounts on runescape. As you would expect i often give him things for free, and he does the same, sometimes to pay back or just to give a present. What is even worse, is that the two accounts are both signed to the same name, meaning that they're technically the property of 1 person, so we shouldn't interact with each other...

But thankfully we're still here, and i hope we stay, we have similar stats, and aren't awfully rich (mabye 5 mill inbetween the two of us at max). If Jagex ends up banning us anyway, all it will do is loose another pair of innocent players stuck in the itricate net of sometimes senseless rules which often don't leave room for us honest players.

18/22 skills at or better than 60.

1300+ skill total.

Barrows:Torag's Helm x2, Guthan's Helm, Guthan's Warspear, Dharok's Greataxe, died to dharok, Guthan's Platebody, Ahrim's Hood. All in a total of 104 runs.

Lol, I once got black marked for "spamming" ..I had NOT spammed. they also said i would be muted for 3 days, which also didn't happen.. strange..

anyways, I feel that they are kinda baised towards the reports, since i got 90+, nearly every report i've sent has resulted in a message saying action has been taken, however, this did not happen before level 90 combat.

I'm also kinda worried about the routher thing too as we're just about to set up a home network and I dont want my brother getting my account banned with his lvl 17 pure >.<

I just hope Jagex gets their act together, and settle for either "thou shalt get away with murder" or "thou shalt not even log into runescape without getting a black mark" - the latter being what they seem to be currently operating on.

92/99 Fishing | 119/120 Combat | 92/99 Firemaking | 94/99 Fletching | 1878/1900 Total | 85/85 Slayer | 80/80 Prayer

5389_08e10c.png

7476_125ca6.png

To be honest i'm just waiting for Jagex to ban me and my real life friend who have accounts on runescape. As you would expect i often give him things for free, and he does the same, sometimes to pay back or just to give a present. What is even worse, is that the two accounts are both signed to the same name, meaning that they're technically the property of 1 person, so we shouldn't interact with each other...

But thankfully we're still here, and i hope we stay, we have similar stats, and aren't awfully rich (mabye 5 mill inbetween the two of us at max). If Jagex ends up banning us anyway, all it will do is loose another pair of innocent players stuck in the itricate net of sometimes senseless rules which often don't leave room for us honest players.

signed to the same name? does that mean the membership for both accounts is paid for by one person? thats against the rules you know.

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

That was a brilliant article and I agree completely!

It would be nice if someone from JAGEX read that and took heed of it...

These articles are just another reason for tip.it being so great....an online community that cares 8)