Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch!

Rilha

anyone else wanna fill in the gap of this language lesson and teach us the other two?

Sure, I'll do the Korean.

"Na nun gweeyuhwu yo."

ÃÆëâââ¬Ã¡Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅÃÆëÃâ¦Ã Ã¢ââ¬Ã

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I find it to be funny isn't because of the length of its spelling but the apparent impossibility of pronouncing it.

English also has words like that.

eg. flocinaucinihilipiliphication :P some people can't pronounce that.

I've been trying to figure out the pronounciation of that word(without a dictionary) for at least 6 months now.

I also know that Llan... was a city from this quiz I started awhile ago(and still can't finish it :( )

i believe the word is pronounced (phonetically) like this:

flossy nossy neh hilleh pilleh fication.

as for the asian languages dispute, i undertand that to most, it would seem as though they are all the same when spoken.... however, myself, being half japanese, half uh.. white.. i can see a very big difference, especially written.. ( in english characters.. the actual text in japanese and chinese use a lot of the same characters.. korean is totally different, simpler and use of circles in the texts differenciates it from the other 2)

japanese uses many short, usually 2 letter combinations to create words... for example.

watashi wa kawaii desu. (means i am cute)

breaks down like this when it is written in japanese characters..

wa ta shi wa ka wa i i de su. (i used these words to illustrate some exceptions to the rule, such as the letter i in kawaii being 1 letter, and the shi in watashi being 3 letters.)

also interesting, the word "kowai" means scary, and its pronunciation is nearly the same as "kawaii" (careful not to confuse the two :P)

after learning this, i found japanese to be really blocky, i guess is the word.. i dont know much about the other two languages, but they sound very much different from japanese now..

anyone else wanna fill in the gap of this language lesson and teach us the other two? :P

I know about kowai and kawaii. I always crack up when my brother tries to speak Japanese.

Aye, Japanese is a syllabic language; each kana character represents a syllable.

Of course, they don't pronounce all of the syllables; 'watashi wa kawaii desu' would be pronounced like 'watash wa kawaii des'. And that's only the formal version of it; in plain speech, I would say 'Atashi wa kawaii'. 8)

You members of the male gender would generally use 'boku wa kawaii'. =3

I love languages.

J'adore les langues.

ÃÆÃ

I guess German would take the cookie for the longest word ever, because when you write numbers in German (As in acht for eight) you make it all one word. If numbers are infinite, then so is the length of the word :P

I couldn't resist Bubsa...Here's my 3 years of learning German thus far...It probably will be wrong knowing my german skills :oops:

ZweibillionzweihundertveirundfÃÆÃâÃâünfzigmillionendreihundertsechsundzwanzingtausend fÃÆÃâÃâünfhundertseibenundachtzig! = 2 254 326 587

Now all the German Rs player's will come and tell me how off I am (or hopefully not) :oops: :lol:

I can almost pronouce it properly. The accent I have kind of helps with that though. It's funny listening to people trying to imitate the Welsh accent. Like, with Dafydd from Little Britain, I had a few people trying to insult me with that and for some reason they would always say it like this:

"I am tha own-lee gay in tha vill - ah -j".

Yeah, that doesn't really make much sense but it's an attempt at phonetically telling you how it sounds. I know a very little amount of the Welsh language and I'd heard of that place name before.

To me Chinese sounds like "chin chow daw how poh" whereas japanesse is like "ohshuduko konichiwah hashikudo" Seems much more elegant and flows better then the short syllabled Chinese.

As for other languages I speak fluent Spanish and decent Polish and am now learning Russian. The latter two are really hard to learn at first because nothing is phonetically written. Sz is pronounced sh, w is pronounced v, etc. To top it off it seems there are so many constantans and few vowels. I can't write/read it that well but its easy enough to speak, just don't expects any cognates .There are no words that sound the same in English and Polish, unlike Spanish/German were you can sometimes guess what words mean (bonita=beautiful)

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

To me Chinese sounds like "chin chow daw how poh" whereas japanesse is like "ohshuduko konichiwah hashikudo" Seems much more elegant and flows better then the short syllabled Chinese.

As for other languages I speak fluent Spanish and decent Polish and am now learning Russian. The latter two are really hard to learn at first because nothing is phonetically written. Sz is pronounced sh, w is pronounced v, etc. To top it off it seems there are so many constantans and few vowels. I can't write/read it that well but its easy enough to speak, just don't expects any cognates .There are no words that sound the same in English and Polish, unlike Spanish/German were you can sometimes guess what words mean (bonita=beautiful)

Yay, we're both learning Russian!

I speak fluent English and French, decent Japanese, and now I'm studying the before mentioned language.

Russian IS actually phonetic in the Cyrillic text (except for a couple of silent letters); it's mostly the English transliteration that's not phonetic.

Japanese does flow better than Chinese. It makes it rather funny to listen to Chinese people singing. :lol:

I love languages.

J'adore les langues.

ÃÆÃ

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch!

...wow :shock:

I first thought this was spam, then I saw a few patterns but when I saw the 4 "l"s near the end of the word I went back to my first opinion of nothing but spam. heehee, I had no idea this was a word.

The 'gogogoch' makes me chuckle. :D

I can guarantee you'd chuckle more if you knew how it's pronounced. :lol:

It's hard to phonetically do the sound but it's a sort of growl from the back of your throat to get the "ch" sound. Like gargling water but not as harsh.

It's hard to phonetically do the sound but it's a sort of growl from the back of your throat to get the "ch" sound. Like gargling water but not as harsh.

I cant spell it, aww, hard!

go-go-goosh its funny, :lol:

I image filling up a form and fill the city name... how hard is to remember how to write it.. !

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png

you all think that the city name is funny... ha!

this is the longest word in the english language...that is in the dictionary anyway

PNEUMONOÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíULTRAÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíMICROÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíSCOPICÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíSILICOÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíVOLCANOÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíKONIOSIS = a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust.

you all think that the city name is funny... ha!

this is the longest word in the english language...that is in the dictionary anyway

PNEUMONOÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíULTRAÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíMICROÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíSCOPICÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíSILICOÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíVOLCANOÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâíKONIOSIS = a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust.

But at least THAT doesn't have four 'L's in a row! xD

I love languages.

J'adore les langues.

ÃÆÃ

hurray for chemicals this one is 1913 letters long

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminyll eucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylal anylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylseryl leucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspa rtylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylproly lleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthre onylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglu taminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylgl utaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmeth ionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleuc ylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylg lycylvalylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglutaminylgl utamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhist idylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprol ylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylala nylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginyla lanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylp rolylleucylasparaginylhistidylleucylvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasp araginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucyl serylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylg lycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylis oleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylgluta myllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylpro

lylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine

yeah, that is how we pronounce the "g" and the "ch" in Holland too....

hehe, there ain't a single American, or British fellow who can pronounce Scheveningen (= a Dutch town) correctly 8)

hehe, there ain't a single American, or British fellow who can pronounce Scheveningen (= a Dutch town) correctly 8)

Not a SINGLE one? Is the 'g' pronounced similarly to the French 'r'? If so, I can pronounce it.

I love languages.

J'adore les langues.

ÃÆÃ

hurray for chemicals this one is 1913 letters long

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminyll eucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylal anylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylseryl leucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspa rtylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylproly lleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthre onylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglu taminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylgl utaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmeth ionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleuc ylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylg lycylvalylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglutaminylgl utamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhist idylasparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprol ylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylala nylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginyla lanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylp rolylleucylasparaginylhistidylleucylvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasp araginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucyl serylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylg lycylalanylalanylglycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylis oleucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolylgluta myllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylpro

lylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine

Ok, translate it :P

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png

Not a SINGLE one? Is the 'g' pronounced similarly to the French 'r'? If so, I can pronounce it.

well, every time I ask an Brittish or American guy to try and say it I get very comical results (I've asked quite a few :P ). It's just pronounced in a way you won't find in most other languages ....

It's a bit like the French "r", but much harsher. like Rhys said, a bit like gargling water.

I can say it sometimes. Its like trying to say Gijs' name. I'd say about 50% of the time i can say it right. lol

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12