College acceptance!

Tomato

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only applied to things in new york that I could get into. I'm not sure if I'm going to leave the city though. Probably the best colleges I got into are Binghamton U, University of buffalo, polytechnic U. Stony brook isn't that good, but it's close to the city. Gotta do some scholarships, cause I don't have enough to get into some of the colleges.

Bleh, Stony Brook is an amazing value school. When it comes to sciences, it's better than the schools you listed. It's easily one of the top SUNY schools. And Stony Brook Honors is very respectable. Also, if you like big schools, Stony Brook is the school for you. I don't know if you've ever been there, but it's HUGE. It's like it's own town. Literally, you don't ever have to leave if you don't want to, as it's got basically any store you need on campus. There are even shuttle buses to take you from class to class. Hell, it's even got it's own LIRR stop, so access to the city is very easy. About 90 minutes from Stony Brook to Penn Station. :P

UB and Binghamton are both good schools though. From all the tense changes in your post, I'm still not sure if you're in college or applying to them. You keep switching from the past to the future. Out of curiosity, where in New York are you?

Past tense is because I applied already. I was accepted. And now, i'm chosing schools.

Binghamton is one of the top ranked in SUNY. But Stonybrook is my top choice though because it has a beautiful campus. I live in Manhattan, New York City. A lot of people say Stony Brook isn't that good because it's like a party school. I have a few friends there.

I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, so Stonybrook is the best for that. Polytechnic University is my second choice because it's in brooklyn and also a top ranked private school. Also they have a table tennis team, so that gives them an edge.

gr454rc.gif

Anyone coming to UC Davis? :wink:

Congrats to all the seniors! I was so excited when I got my acceptance letter :D

heehee, UC Davis rejected me. :evil:

But ironically UC San Diego (which apparently is more selective) took me.

I only applied to things in new york that I could get into. I'm not sure if I'm going to leave the city though. Probably the best colleges I got into are Binghamton U, University of buffalo, polytechnic U. Stony brook isn't that good, but it's close to the city. Gotta do some scholarships, cause I don't have enough to get into some of the colleges.

Bleh, Stony Brook is an amazing value school. When it comes to sciences, it's better than the schools you listed. It's easily one of the top SUNY schools. And Stony Brook Honors is very respectable. Also, if you like big schools, Stony Brook is the school for you. I don't know if you've ever been there, but it's HUGE. It's like it's own town. Literally, you don't ever have to leave if you don't want to, as it's got basically any store you need on campus. There are even shuttle buses to take you from class to class. Hell, it's even got it's own LIRR stop, so access to the city is very easy. About 90 minutes from Stony Brook to Penn Station. :P

UB and Binghamton are both good schools though. From all the tense changes in your post, I'm still not sure if you're in college or applying to them. You keep switching from the past to the future. Out of curiosity, where in New York are you?

Past tense is because I applied already. I was accepted. And now, i'm chosing schools.

Binghamton is one of the top ranked in SUNY. But Stonybrook is my top choice though because it has a beautiful campus. I live in Manhattan, New York City. A lot of people say Stony Brook isn't that good because it's like a party school. I have a few friends there.

I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, so Stonybrook is the best for that. Polytechnic University is my second choice because it's in brooklyn and also a top ranked private school. Also they have a table tennis team, so that gives them an edge.

You live in Manhattan? Where in Manhattan? :D (I'm a wannabe NYCer)

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Anyone coming to UC Davis? :wink:

Congrats to all the seniors! I was so excited when I got my acceptance letter :D

Heh, I wasn't that excited about getting it. Well, I guess it just came kind of randomly. You know, I was happy and glad I got it, but the school I liked wasn't 'too' hard to get in, I preaty much knew I was getting in already because of my ACT score ^^.

I got a letter from Westpoint the other day, I was kind of excited but then my mom threw it in the trash. She said she wouldn't have her son getting killed in Iraq.

When I filled out my application to take the ACT I have it set to send my score to LSU, NYU, Harvard (high hopes :oops:), and Texas A & M.

I got a letter from Westpoint the other day, I was kind of excited but then my mom threw it in the trash. She said she wouldn't have her son getting killed in Iraq.

4 years of FREE education from a school more selective than any other Ivy League school and will give you a guaranteed (and high paying) job for 5 years straight out of college. What a sweet mom. (but i'm assuming it wasn't an acceptance letter)

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

4 years of FREE education from a school more selective than any other Ivy League school and will give you a guaranteed (and high paying) job for 5 years straight out of college. What a sweet mom. (but i'm assuming it wasn't an acceptance letter)

Any facts to support that?

I have a hard time imagining West Point being more selective than Harvard, Yale or Stanford. Sure it may be a guaranteed job for 5 years but how many other jobs out there put you in harms way day after day?

You know that as soon as you graduate from the academy you'll be sent off to Iraq or Afghanistan. And yes, we will probably still be there after this incoming Freshmen class graduates.

Guest GhostRanger

I have a hard time imagining West Point being more selective than Harvard, Yale or Stanford. Sure it may be a guaranteed job for 5 years but how many other jobs out there put you in harms way day after day?

You know that as soon as you graduate from the academy you'll be sent off to Iraq or Afghanistan. And yes, we will probably still be there after this incoming Freshmen class graduates.

You'd be surprised at how selective West Point actually is. Time Magazine had an article about it last fall I believe and the school is full of the top of the top of every high school in America (academically and athletically).

No, I don't have any statistics like that, but I'm sure you can google it. And yes, it IS THAT hard to get in to. You need to be in top physical/mental/academic health for them to even look at you (AND a state senator's or Vice/Presidental signature on your application).

Also, plenty of jobs put you in harms way day after day that don't pay you half what you could be making after graduating from West Point; Construction, fishing, mining etc. Besides, usually the last thing you're going to be doing after the army's spent half a million dollars training you and giving you a top notch college education is being on the front lines of a war (you DO get to choose what you do in the Army, you know).

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

I don't deny that West Point is hard to get into. It certainly is. But while they look at those that have high GPAs as well as being athletically gifted, the ridiculously high GPAs like 4.8s tend to go to Ivy Leagues.

In a Newsweek special "Hottest College" Edition (heehee, I have that cuz I'm a Senior playing the college game) it says that Juilliard School was the most exclusive last year with a meer 7.5% acceptance rate followed by Yale at 9.9% and Harvard at 10.7%.

And in the same Newsweek, it says that "The US Military Academy, in West Point, NY, ... since its cadets are more likely than the other academies' grads to go to Iraq."

So our best and brightest are going to Iraq to get killed for particular good reason.

Guest GhostRanger
Harvard: Admissions Selectivity Rating: 99

Yale: Admissions Selectivity Rating: 99

Princeton: Admissions Selectivity Rating: 99

Dartmouth: Admissions Selectivity Rating: 98

Northwestern: Admissions Selectivity Rating: 97

West Point: Admissions Selectivity Rating: 96

Congrats on all your college acceptances! Good luck choosing one. :)

I remember going through this last year and getting an acceptance letter on April 1st. My dad called me to tell me and I thought it was a joke. :P

And as far as West Point, I remember seeing it as the most selective school according to the Princeton Review, but that was a couple years ago. I have major respect for anyone who goes there. I considered applying there at some point, but now I can't imagine being in college without the whole college experience.

Guest GhostRanger
Congrats on all your college acceptances! Good luck choosing one. :)

I remember going through this last year and getting an acceptance letter on April 1st. My dad called me to tell me and I thought it was a joke. :P

And as far as West Point, I remember seeing it as the most selective school according to the Princeton Review, but that was a couple years ago. I have major respect for anyone who goes there. I considered applying there at some point, but now I can't imagine being in college without the whole college experience.

April 1st? I know what that means... :P What school did you get that letter from exactly?

I have a friend who goes to West Point. She has fairly good grades and I think she got in because she was the #1 for whatever type of running she did on Track Team. Best of the best...

Yea I live in midtown. Hell's Kitchen :P

My friend wanted to apply to west point, but he changed his mind because he didn't want his mom to worry. Presonally I think it's kinda dumb to get all that

high education to be potentially killed.

This college student from NYU came to my ap bio class because he's going to be a teacher. He said if you're taking a science major, it's going to be hell. You have to take chemistry and the labs are soo long. And everyone else is going to have so much less work than you. Thats what it feels like in ap bio anyway.

gr454rc.gif

I keep getting email about scholarships but the university that sends it hasn't even mentioned if they accepted me or not! :x

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

My friend wanted to apply to west point, but he changed his mind because he didn't want his mom to worry. Presonally I think it's kinda dumb to get all that

I kind of agree with that. Although I definitely want someone with a high degree of education commanding the meat-heads out in the field as opposed to the un-educated leading the un-educated. Ya know? :wink:

I kind of agree with that. Although I definitely want someone with a high degree of education commanding the meat-heads out in the field as opposed to the un-educated leading the un-educated. Ya know? :wink:

There is definitely more to the military than just picking up a gun and killing the enemy. West Point trains the future intelligence officers and tech-heads that are out in the field to support the troops. I have all the respect for anyone who is in the military because I know that I could never do that.

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

West Point and the other academies don't solely train the Intel. officers and the techies. Most of their graduates are cadets that want to make a career out of the military by starting off as an officer rather than as an enlisted man who just went to the recruiting officer and signed a paper.