Guys.. [See page 2 for computer build help?] - Going with PC

Ks_Jeppe

Ok, i have 3 options... I need to do one of them, i just dont know which, and i'd like some advise from all of you... Now, i want to be able to play games like Ghost Recon AdvancedWarfighter and Oblivion, however, i currenlty do not have a console, and my computer is hardly strong enough... So i can either;

1) Update my PC with a new motherboard, grahpics card, RAM and processor

2) Buy a XBOX360

3) Wait for PS3 to come out in november (at least thats what they say)

Money is somewhat an issue, it's not all that big though. the problem is, that i really want a console because then i'll be able to invite friends home and play with them etc etc, but using a pc is more universal, the games are cheaper and that's what i'm used to... And i havent listed PS2 since it would be a waste to buy it now when the new version is comming out in 7 months...

Plz help?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that i work with computers for a living i would advice you to buy/build an new computer. You'll get more benifits out of it rather then just games, But if you just dont really want to do that i would wait on the PS3. Good titles will be out for it and its going to be an awsome system. As for the XBox 360. I dont put much faith in much of anything that microsoft makes because they rarely care about how well their product functions, just that it gets out and makes money. Once again, like i said, i really advise a new computer

Revolution *hides*

But seriously...it does all Sega and Nintendo games so I am planning on getting it.

Out of your choices, I would stick with the PC. PS3 next, and 360 last. The 360 is amazingly buggy.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

up until this last weekend i would have said upgrade your computer. adding a new motherboard, processor, ram and video card has been more of a pain than i have ever had before with computers. it kind of sucks, because i dont plan on ever upgrading again, and i like computers over consoles. pretty much means i have to buy a new computer everytime. if you think you will be ok upgrading it, or can have someone else do it for you, i think that would be the best way to go.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I have knowlegde of how to upgrade my computer, i build this one 3 years ago, and it's still runing (needs upgrades, yea, but after 3 years it would only be fair to expect that, right? :P), so thats not a problem really... :)

What are the current specs of your computer?, It could be possible just to upgrade the video card which would allow you to wait a couple more years... This would save money now, and get better value out of your current hardware. That is what I did with mine, and it can play new games at a playable quality.

Ps3 is going to be amazingly high priced. the blu-ray drive in it would retail 350$ alone. and the blu-ray disc, prolly 40-50$ for a blank one. let alone after-market prices if a person puts a game on one it would jack it up quite a bit. prolly mark the games up around to $80 region

as for Pc, I wouldnt personally.. they out-date so fast and are expensive. the only good thing about them is they can do more than games.

Xbox 360 is what i have, i may sound bias to some people but i've done my research in the past to make almost this same descision as you, 360vPs3, and i decided 360. Main reason... cost, and really the two systems are going to be practically the same thing sony always over-hypes their own products, if you ever seen any of the ps1 or ps2 "tech demos" and compared it to the final version is was very far from the same thing. as with Microsoft they give you what they have not some made up CG stuff they expect people to beleive is real.

and xbox isnt that buggy as its said to be. i've rarely has problems with it. and the problems i have has are ones i've induced on myself by trying to do stuff im not supposed to ;)

and also if u want a good enjoyable experince with friends get the 360. great games on it.

as for Pc, I wouldnt personally.. they out-date so fast and are expensive. the only good thing about them is they can do more than games.

Untrue, I got a mid to highrange computer on christmas of 2000 (not bleeding edge, definitely not). Up until last year it was still kicking with some of the more recent games (1.7ghz, 512mb ram, PCI FX 5200.. although it does have an AGP slot...... Can you say D'oh!)

Invest in your computer, it will pay back for years to come :)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Untrue, I got a mid to highrange computer on christmas of 2000 (not bleeding edge, definitely not). Up until last year it was still kicking with some of the more recent games (1.7ghz, 512mb ram, PCI FX 5200.. although it does have an AGP slot...... Can you say D'oh!)

Invest in your computer, it will pay back for years to come :)

Agreed, my 3 year old Dell still kicks out the best games. It's called upgrading, and PC is the only choice that supports it. It's not like I am up to date, but I try to stay 6-18 months behind so low prices and high power stay with me.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

F.Y.I theres a new processor coming out in 2-3 years..

2 versions.

24, and 48 core...

dont beleive me.

google Azul Vega 2

supposed to double the speeds of current. if not more. so im expecting ~10ghz.

2 versions.

24, and 48 core...

dont beleive me.

google Azul Vega 2

I doubt something like that would trickle down to consumer level and from reading several sites, the cores are optimized for java processing (I can think of no javabased clientside stuff that would need 24 cores)

smithie3.jpg

Azul has become one of the hottest young companies in California thanks to its network-attached systems for accelerating Java and other virtual-machine performance.

the company is just famous for that, its not going to be for java clients. :P

I would upgrade my PC, but a huge upgrade, otherwise I would buy a PS3

By huge I mean:

- 2+ Gb RAM

- 256Mb/512Mb 256bit Video Card

- 250Gb HD

- 17" - 19" LCD

- AMD x2 4200

- If necessary a new motherboard

Resume: a new super PC than a PS3.

But PS3 will have amazing games :P

I'm in doubt too, but if I get both, I'll be happy! :D

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png

Azul has become one of the hottest young companies in California thanks to its network-attached systems for accelerating Java and other virtual-machine performance.

the company is just famous for that, its not going to be for java clients. :P

Even then, why isn't their 24 core setup in the consumer market yet? ;)

smithie3.jpg

I've had this computer since early 2004 (I think?) and I'm playing all the latest - World of Warcraft, Half-life 2, etc. I couldn't have a better time. I much prefer the PC to console gaming but I think it is different for every person. I've never liked controllers - I feel that I have more control, and customization, with a keyboard and mouse. *shrug*

I think it's up to you, Jeppe. :D There are tons of positive reviews about the PS3 and x-box but I will never get one. A lot of the good games do come out for PC/x-box together and while some may not, there are tons of good games being released for PCs constantly.

Good luck with the decision. :shock:

sithbridgeay2.jpg

I would say (do you really expect me to say anything else) to just probably get a new PC (if you're gonna get all that other stuff, you might as well have it come as a whole piece, and not have to worry about Indy's problem...and you get all the fixens, new fans etc, peripherals etc.)

Next to that, I'd say I don't really care...Either console is fine, I have no preference until the next GTA comes to PS3 before anything else. But if you want to play on a console with friends...Ask someone else about consoles.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

2 versions.

24, and 48 core...

dont beleive me.

google Azul Vega 2

I thought processor speeds doubled on average every 18 months? So 10ghz could be easily reached by then by Intel.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I'd personaly upgrade, for these reasons.

- Ps3 will not have oblivion on it, plus its going to be realy pricey.

- the xbox 360 is all hype in my opinion. It realy isn't that great of a console. IMO, look for the time its been out and the numer of unique games to it. Slim to none.

- PC's can always be upgraded, and as a personal preference I prefer the mouse and keyboard combo. You did mention you wanted to have friends over, so maybe in 7 months (or more) you could think about getting a ps3, all dependable of course.

- PC , if optimized right, can run some nice stuff. My pc cost me about 550$ or so total to make (bought main right and a video card), and it runs stuff like Counter strike source as all high details, max reflections, HDR lighting (if aplicable) and 6x AA and I was getting a good 100-120 FPS on iceworld today. I can also play oblivion [fairly] decent.

anyways, my opinion would to go with the PC.

2 versions.

24, and 48 core...

dont beleive me.

google Azul Vega 2

I thought processor speeds doubled on average every 18 months? So 10ghz could be easily reached by then by Intel.

hasnt really been doing that lately, i think it might be called Moores law? anyways, seems like highest processor speed has been at 3.6ghz for ages, but there are many different technologies out now too. my 2.0ghz athlon 64 x2 3800+ is a lot faster than my old 2.8ghz p4.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Ever notice how games never seem to come out for just the PS2 and computer? Or Gamecube and computer? It always seems to go either all of them, or xbox and PC, or ps2 and gamecube, or xbox and ps2, or xbox, ps2 and PC. I'm not sure what my point is, but I assume it's easier to port Xbox games to PC or PS2 games to Xbox than Ps2 to PC.

On topic: Remember: PC has a massive library spanning back 20 years, and hundreds of classics.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Ever notice how games never seem to come out for just the PS2 and computer? Or Gamecube and computer? It always seems to go either all of them, or xbox and PC, or ps2 and gamecube, or xbox and ps2, or xbox, ps2 and PC. I'm not sure what my point is, but I assume it's easier to port Xbox games to PC or PS2 games to Xbox than Ps2 to PC.

On topic: Remember: PC has a massive library spanning back 20 years, and hundreds of classics.

(and emulators for the other classics on console)

*cough*

smithie3.jpg

My current computer;

- Intel P4 2GHz

- 512MB PC2100 DDR ram

- 56GB HDD (Maxtor)

- ATI Radeon 8500

- 17" Amitech TFT

It does seem to run a lot slower than my laptop though (AMD 2800+ 512MB RAM, ironicly the same as my dedicated server lol :P), so i'll deff need to upgrade it... I'll need a new motherboard as well, seeing that the one i currently have can hold a P4 2.2 GHz max...

I looks like my best bet is to upgrade a bit? I was thinking something along the lines of this;

- Intel P4 3GHz

- Additional 512MB ram... total of 1 gig then

- Additional 250GB HDD (then i'll just use the old one for backups...

- NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT

The products i have in mind would be the following;

- Intel Pentium 4 Processors (478-pin 1M cache) 3 GHz

- Kingston ValueRAM 1 x 512 MB

- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250 GB

- ASUS N6800XT/TD

- ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe

I'm not 100% sure, but i think they will fit together, right? Advice ploz? :D