human...are we really the most advaced race on earth?

Riku3220

Someone said we are the most successful because if we wanted to we could wipe out all the animals. First, thats not true, insects are animals, whos going to shoot 70 billion insects? Also, ever though of what would happen if all the animals decided they had had enough of humans? we would have no chance.

We can spray insecticides?

But why would we? Even David Suzuki compared before, if we disappear now, earth would probably even get better, in terms of the environment. But if ants disappear, that would have more of a disaster.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) You really need to read John Dewey. Animals don't think. If they were capable of abstract and futuristic thought, they would have done what humans have done as far as advancement. The fact that they don't is proof they don't think and only rely on instinct and appetites.

About #2, based on my experiences with cats, the argument that animals don't think is absurd. They might "think" but not in the way we do. And it is true that they cannot ponder profound subjects but that does not mean they have nothing going on in their brains. And when you/John Dewey say animals, you also mean dolphins and chimps who are very intelligent (the latter one being only slightly different from us humans)?

Guest GhostRanger

2) You really need to read John Dewey. Animals don't think. If they were capable of abstract and futuristic thought, they would have done what humans have done as far as advancement. The fact that they don't is proof they don't think and only rely on instinct and appetites.

About #2, based on my experiences with cats, the argument that animals don't think is absurd. They might "think" but not in the way we do. And it is true that they cannot ponder profound subjects but that does not mean they have nothing going on in their brains. And when you/John Dewey say animals, you also mean dolphins and chimps who are very intelligent (the latter one being only slightly different from us humans)?

Just because things are going on in their mind doesn't mean it's thought. You could define thought as that, but then you need to define a second stage of thought, being reflective which is thinking about things that aren't there. Animals rely on "thoughts" that are just instincts or appetites, they don't think abstractly. We do.

Smart animals like dolphins and chimps still don't think abstractly. A chimp might see some ants in a log it can't reach and notice that the stick can fit through there and get the ants. This is just his instincts and appetites acting in very advanced ways.

Humans on the other hand think abstractly. We think about things that don't exist. Animals mights "solve problems" but only by using their surroundings. Their instinctual minds are merely putting two and two together, they are not thinking abstractly about concepts and ideas that aren't there.

Just because things are going on in their mind doesn't mean it's thought. You could define thought as that, but then you need to define a second stage of thought, being reflective which is thinking about things that aren't there. Animals rely on "thoughts" that are just instincts or appetites, they don't think abstractly.

Im not sure we can definitively say that is the case and even if it is, and we do think differently then we must have started at one point. It's not a given i'll admit but its very likely. And we have had the same time as apes to evolve and though we did so in a different biological direction i dont think we can assume that animals of similar intelligence as ourselves (such as dolphins and gorillas) are not capable of the same thought processes as ourselves.

Guest GhostRanger
Just because things are going on in their mind doesn't mean it's thought. You could define thought as that, but then you need to define a second stage of thought, being reflective which is thinking about things that aren't there. Animals rely on "thoughts" that are just instincts or appetites, they don't think abstractly.

Im not sure we can definitively say that is the case and even if it is, and we do think differently then we must have started at one point. It's not a given i'll admit but its very likely. And we have had the same time as apes to evolve and though we did so in a different biological direction i dont think we can assume that animals of similar intelligence as ourselves (such as dolphins and gorillas) are not capable of the same thought processes as ourselves.

We can assume that they are not thinking at the same level as us because if they are then they would have advanced like we have. They have stayed in their completely natural state because they aren't thinking abstractly. We do think abstractly and that's why we have progressed to the level of civilization that we have.

DONT PANIC

Mice are the most advanced

_____

People who dont understand this lack much to learn about life. Poor souls. people who do - you're of a superior class ;) =-)

___

People who dont also have the oppurtunity to jump off a 42 story building [secret clue]

nope in order of supremacy:

1.Tip.it Forum Mods (and bubsa cos everyone loves bubsa)

2.Mice

3.Dolphins

4.Tip.it'ers

5.Other humans

Uhh do other animals really need guns, weapons, houses, technology etc, to survive?

No. They're still alive right now and nver had any of those stuff.

Dude if we wanted we could kill every animal on the planet in a day. The only reason we havent is becuase were more advanced, because we can think.

Your arguments that animals are better suited to live in the wild are unsound. You are only looking at one part of an organism, its physique.

Are humans that can run fast more advanced then everyone else?

Acording to the arguements in these thread, then yes, they are.

yes how exactly would we go about doing in a day something that meteorites from space and massively long ice ages have failed to do???

ahahaha IMA A IDIOT

cant argue there mate
Real world? *looks around confuzzled* Real world?!? :ohnoes:

sigbanksupportqd1.gif

have now quit rs :-( (but i still browse these forums :-)

2.Mice

3.Dolphins

4.Tip.it'ers

5.Other humans

1.Worms

2.Tip.it Forum Mods (and bubsa cos everyone loves bubsa)

3.Mice

4.Dolphins

5.Tip.it'ers

6.Other humans

Everybody turns a blindeye to the worm, but they will one day take over, And no one will be ready. (I think it's about time I took my pill :D )

yes how exactly would we go about doing in a day something that meteorites from space and massively long ice ages have failed to do???

Because we can contol the power, meteors and ice ages where random.

Nature shoots it's gun with it's eyes closed. We have our eyes open.

when your firing a neuclear missile in a closed room who needs eyes? if a meteorite hit earth its belived that ash wold block out tthe sun for over a year and it would cause all kinds of volcanic/earthquake activities bet we couldnt do that

also interesting fact: the air underneath the astroid wouldnt have anytime to escape so it would become highly presurised and super heated burning anyone under neath it to ashes in seconds, cool huh/

ahahaha IMA A IDIOT

cant argue there mate
Real world? *looks around confuzzled* Real world?!? :ohnoes:

sigbanksupportqd1.gif

have now quit rs :-( (but i still browse these forums :-)

2.Mice

3.Dolphins

4.Tip.it'ers

5.Other humans

6.People who suck up

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

when your firing a neuclear missile in a closed room who needs eyes? if a meteorite hit earth its belived that ash wold block out tthe sun for over a year and it would cause all kinds of volcanic/earthquake activities bet we couldnt do that

also interesting fact: the air underneath the astroid wouldnt have anytime to escape so it would become highly presurised and super heated burning anyone under neath it to ashes in seconds, cool huh/

How much research have you done into this? doesn't sound like much, just sounds like an explanation of how the dinosaurs died.

There are enough nuclear bombs on the world right now, that if everyone was set off at the same time earth would explode. Now this was a year ago, I don't know how many there are now compared to then, but a meteor would have to be as big as the moon to do that kind of damamge.

About 1/5 the mass of the moon to be able to wipe out all life on earth last I heard anything about it.

But I'm not about to go digging around for information since I don't really give a toss about that.

A global destruction happens less often than every 10 million years and involves an impact of 10 km asteroid making a 100+ km crater. K-T event, which caused the extinction of dinosaurs and other contemporary creatures falls into this category. The amount of destruction depends on the properties of rock in which the crater is being excavated. Unless acidic chemicals are released into the atmosphere such an impact does not necessarily have to produce a mass extinction. In any case, such an impact today would cause casualties among humans in the billions.

Amoung the billions, would have to be huge to actually wipe us out.

Just to make people feel safe:

It is highly unlikely that a regional or global destruction would occur anytime soon (next couple of centuries) since we have already discovered most of near Earth asteroids larger than 1 km, and none of them seem to be heading this way. A localized impact has a less than a percent chance to happen in any given year, so the level of risk at any given place or time is also low.

2.Mice

3.Dolphins

4.Tip.it'ers

5.Other humans

1.Worms

2.Tip.it Forum Mods (and bubsa cos everyone loves bubsa)

3.Mice

4.Dolphins

5.Tip.it'ers

6.Other humans

Everybody turns a blindeye to the worm, but they will one day take over, And no one will be ready. (I think it's about time I took my pill :D )

Because we can contol the power, meteors and ice ages where random.

Nature shoots it's gun with it's eyes closed. We have our eyes open.

Well, its a GIVEN that worms are superior. Afterall, does any race besides the worms have armys of suicide sheep and grannys? Hows about Ninja ropes and jetpacks? And teleportation? Or my favorite, RC air strikes

Just to make people feel safe:

It is highly unlikely that a regional or global destruction would occur anytime soon (next couple of centuries) since we have already discovered most of near Earth asteroids larger than 1 km, and none of them seem to be heading this way. A localized impact has a less than a percent chance to happen in any given year, so the level of risk at any given place or time is also low.

Perhaps, but the power of small asteroids is nevertheless great. An asteroid the size of a normal house's garage has the power to destroy a city if it makes an impact in the correct way.

^ Redserpent.

An asteroid to be the size of a house when it impacts has to be at least 200 meters to be close to the size of a house when it impacts.

Furthermor, an asteroid that big would be more easily averted with a gravitational mass (Like taking a satelite, filling it at the moon with a big payload and slaming into it *or* to move it by hovering nearby and using the gravitational mass to pull the asteroid)

Or, i suppose the ISS could be used to deflect it to a degree if the asteroid is heading towards a super-city (which could be calculated)

• 3 weeks later...
hm... IMHO we ARE the least advance, evolutionary wise.. we humans havent been around that long... even out pre-ancestors.. the only reason we are still around is our brain.
thats what makes us so advanced, our brain. we are the most evolutionary advancement ever. we evolved to be able to do almost anything we want to from a hairy animal that we now put in cages for our own amusement

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

ok so im wondering are we, the humans, really the supreme race n earth. sure you could say we are the most advanced race but have you ever thought about how we copy off of he animals for example airplanes we invented them right? right but we stole them from birds. we can built houses out of trees we strted that right? true but beavers can built houses out of trees too. swimming-fish. fishing-seagulls

so tell me are we really the supreme race on the face of the earth or are we just taking credit from the real supreme races?

birds flap their wings to fly ... in an airoplane it uses a motor

fish swim, well technically we didnt have to study them to swim, swimming is not a hard thing to be taught, fish have nothing to do with our ability to swim

beavers did not build houses out of stone, they do ont build towers, they simply build shelter

seagulls ... seagulls dont really fish, they tend to steal stuff off us, and we did not steal the concept of a fishing rod off anyone, its like if you see a rabit, you dont need to have watched a dog kill a rabbit for us to know what u have to do

i will say that humans aren't really that advanced, hell before we were here everything was all smooth, now we have lots of endangered and extinct animals, we are using up lots of food and water, now they are talking about global warming, we tend to make problems quite easily

i finally quit runescape to play world of warcraft. i play on frostmourne, alliance

check out my thread

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=479665&highlight=