What's the Best RPG Game?

azn_pride4u

Which RPG game do you think is the best? I say the best RPG game(s) is Final Fantasy. It doesn't get any better than that. Nice storyline, good graphics.....yeah. Haha, I probably get many posts on this topic but who gives a fish.

cheese.gif

The best action game with an RPG element is definitely Ninja Gaiden Black (you could lvl up weapons, I made a wooden sword into a death machine!).

But as for the real RPG I'd have to say FFVII, and both of the KOTOR's (Knights of the Old Republic, what can I say I'm a big SW fan).

pcingbs6.jpg

Goals: 80/80 Range, 75/90 Strength, 77/85 Attack, 64/76 Fishing and crafting 31k natures (o.O)

Also, your title is redundant, since RPG stands for Roleplaying Game, your title basicaly says "Whats the best roleplaying game game?"

QFT

never liked the final fantasy games or any japanese rpgs like it.

favourite definently morrowind, followed by oblivion, followed by kings field 2 for psx. then id have to go with the d&d games, kotor, nwn.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

My favorite would have to be FF3. As good as it gets :-)

When you are learning, you are growing. If you stop learning, you stop growing. If you stop growing, you die. Train hard, eat fried chicken, and take a one-a-day. (And cook that broccoli 'til it's yella and pour cheese all over it)

slowmethusel.png

Baldurs Gate series and Oblivion.

I've not explored Oblivion enough yet to say whether or not I'd class it as a favorite... but then, I suppose I have been on and off it... since I got it, I suppose, so there must be something in it. Hmm.

Yeah, definitely the Baldur's Gate games (the PC ones, of course). They're fantastic. I think I shall install BG1 again soon, and start from scratch.

I like Final Fantasy Seven... but to me, it's not really so much a roleplaying game as an interactive story, so I don't really class it as a favorite game.

Erm... I've not been on many games, recently. Strugging to think what I'd normally list in this topic. Probably Fallout Two: that was good.

Asside from, maybe, Icewind Dale, I can't think of any remotely modern ones ATM.

My favorites are a toss up between 3: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Diablo II, and Planescape: Torment.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Not only is this game tremendously well executed, it has well established characters, a nice take on the Star Wars universe and bar far *minor spoiler*the best twist you'll ever see in a game (but I didn't tell you that, twists are ruined when you know they're coming, even if you don't know when or what). It has great combat, tonnes of spells and items, and replay value for at least 2 games one-after-the-other (one of the only games I've ever done this for).

Diablo II: This may not seem like it's the greatest RPG ever, and it may seem like standard hack-and-slash fair, but once you get well established and know your way around, this is an incredible achievement. It doesn't quite have the same atmosphere as Diablo 1, but it expands on it in every other way (Diablo 1 is also one of my fav RPGS). There's almost infinite amounts of different items, perhaps the very best character building/skill tree system I've ever seen, and great gameplay. It also has amazing attention to detail, unmatched sound save for possibly Warcraft 3 (Blizzard are the ultimate sound people of anyone ever), and while the graphics are nothing special (they do the job), it has incredible, realistic animation and spell effect (yes, realistic magic spell effects :P ). The attention to detail is astounding. It has more replay value than perhaps any game you'll ever play (other than perhaps some MMORPG's and maybe some multiplayer games, but I might even still give the title to D2). All this, coupled with an extremely underrated and oft forgotten story and *minor spoiler*Both D1 and D2 have incredible twist endings, especially D2. You just never realise it because you've probably been through the game 150 times and always skip the cutscenes.

And finally, Planescape: Torment: This game has the best story you will ever find anywhere, in any medium. It completely destroys all other games in terms of story, and I can honestly say it matches or even surpasses almost every movie or book I've ever experienced. And that's what this game is: an experience. You don't just play it, it's so well done you are put into this game. It has an amazingly cool main character, whom says only a few lines of dialogue through the whole game. What he does say is amazing, and it leaves so much room for you to actually play as the character, instead of just guiding a pre-made character on their mission. This game also has the very best "play how you want" system, as there are so many different quests and so many ways to define who you want to be throughout the game (along with about 5 different endings based on how you want to play). The party characters, while limited, are indescribably better than any you'll find in another game, each has there own reason for being in the game, each their own reason for joining (a legitimate one), each there own quest they want to complete, and each and completely different hero that is better fleshed out than pretty well every MAIN character you've ever seen. The atmosphere is oozing with style and complexity, it's well written and presented dialogue, and world is actually FUN to explore and is artistically brilliant. Spell effects are jaw dropping (some of the bigger spells get their very own CG cutscene, others are good aswell, though). There's probably something I've forgotten, but it's just in indescribably well made game (with a touch of morbid humor where its needed).

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

• 11 months later...

final fantasy 7, and its final!

gazzy.jpg

Are you sick and tired of people telling you what to put in your sig? So am I. No, don't put this in your sig, you'll be doing what THEY want!

Its a very close tie Between Bualders gate II or Chrono Trigger.

Honestly I can't for the life of me think what I'd place higher. Part of me wants to place Baulders gate II because of the longtivity of it and slightly more fun gameplay but Chrono Trigger hosts one of my favorite storylines.

Man, its tough. However thinking about this makes me want to play Chrono Trigger again. I don't know what it is about the game (other than its simply amazing) that just pulls me in...

and yeah, it needs to get in VG&C.

edit: Since I'm kind of bored I'd figure I would expand a bit.

Bualders Gate II:

Where to start about this one. The first thing to note is how long the game lasts. Now, usualy I hate it when a game stretches out too long but this game never got boring. The entire game probaly spans some 200-300 hours worth of gameplay depending on how many side quests you do. Compare that to the mediocre 20-30 hours of gameplay some games 'boast' today, its amazing.

The storyline was top notch. It has been quite a while so I don't remember a ton about it but the way it flowed was great. The game hosted some very memorable party members (ming [i think thats it] anyone? How about his minature giant space hamster? :P) who each had a nice backstory.

The game honestly hosts some of my most memorable experiences. I remember right before you were about to enter pretty much the "final" area everyone took turns pretty much giving a small speach to everyone. Just thinking about it gives me shivers down my spine and it was truely a sight to see when I was witnessing it.

The gameplay, of course, was great. I still have not seen an RPG or game that can match the complexity of winning some of the fights in game. Does anyone remember the optional dragons you could kill? Yeah, those were amazingly hard fights.

Also I remember how the characters were not expendable. If someone died it was going to be a pain to get them back. I remember many times where I had not saved for a while and a person died, I would go back just to save them. In the game they weren't just "NPC 1" and "NPC 2".

Chrono Trigger:

One of the largest reasons I love this RPG is because out of all the memorys I have of games I can think of at least 5 different times in here which made my jaw drop.

You see, in most good games they have parts which just make your jaw drop in suspense. Well, Chrono Trigger had tons of these moments.

The fact is is that the battle system was very nice. Obviously some RPG's have outmatched it but I loved the combo attacks. The game also was a fun game but didn't really do much new for gameplay.

See, the bigest reason I love this game is the story. I have never been more engrosed in a story line than this game. The fact is most games I will kind of somewhat half-way read the storyline and just progress in game. Chrono Trigger.. it was different.

This next part might have some spoilers so... don't click if you haven't played the game yet.

[hide]Like I said the game has many memorable moments. I remember when I first got into the future and went inside the base. The mood inside that was created was just... amazing. Reading what every little bit everyone was saying, not knowing what caused this. You see, before you got there you had no idea what had caused it. To see that your perfect, pleasent present time would turn into that was eye opening.

And then, than you found out who lavos was.

There are so many other moments as well. Like the time Robo got beat up badly by the other Robots which used to be his 'family'. They nearly killed him because he was now different, and it felt so liberating to beat the ever living crap out of them.

You than have so many other moments, such as frog splitting the wall into two. I could go on for hours about this but I think you get the idea. [/hide]

So enough with the spoilers. Anyways these two games are the two best RPG's I have ever played. I have enjoyed a lot of RPG's and MMORPG's but nothing can hold a candle to this.

And @ Putter: I still really need to get that game. I always have beat my self up about never trying it when I was younger.

And finally, Planescape: Torment: This game has the best story you will ever find anywhere, in any medium. It completely destroys all other games in terms of story, and I can honestly say it matches or even surpasses almost every movie or book I've ever experienced. And that's what this game is: an experience. You don't just play it, it's so well done you are put into this game. It has an amazingly cool main character, whom says only a few lines of dialogue through the whole game. What he does say is amazing, and it leaves so much room for you to actually play as the character, instead of just guiding a pre-made character on their mission. This game also has the very best "play how you want" system, as there are so many different quests and so many ways to define who you want to be throughout the game (along with about 5 different endings based on how you want to play). The party characters, while limited, are indescribably better than any you'll find in another game, each has there own reason for being in the game, each their own reason for joining (a legitimate one), each there own quest they want to complete, and each and completely different hero that is better fleshed out than pretty well every MAIN character you've ever seen. The atmosphere is oozing with style and complexity, it's well written and presented dialogue, and world is actually FUN to explore and is artistically brilliant. Spell effects are jaw dropping (some of the bigger spells get their very own CG cutscene, others are good aswell, though). There's probably something I've forgotten, but it's just in indescribably well made game (with a touch of morbid humor where its needed).

Nope, you did it. A great sum up of the best game I've played. Makes me want to play it again. For about the 5th time now. The only RPG where maxing wisdom and intelligence even if you're warrior makes perfect sense in the end, which I think says alot.

Great game.

korla3eaqd3.jpg

The best action game with an RPG element is definitely Ninja Gaiden Black (you could lvl up weapons, I made a wooden sword into a death machine!).

But as for the real RPG I'd have to say FFVII, and both of the KOTOR's (Knights of the Old Republic, what can I say I'm a big SW fan).

=D> Yes well done on mentioning that. THE UNLABOURED FLAWLESSNESS!!!

Yeh, Baldurs Gate is pretty good too.

Im Froto

WE HAVE TO TAKE THE RING TO MOODOOR!

sephiroth.jpg

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Final Fantasy 7