Biking - Any tips or tricks?

runesmithie

Yes, they make the bike go faster, but they aren't for offroading where they're likely to hit a rock large enough to make them go off balance. And I think it was the faster you go, the stabler you are.

That's true, stability comes from the gyroscopic effect of the wheels so faster = better. The thin tyres also have less rolling resistance so they use less energy to go fast. As for hitting rocks, they are for road use only so it isn't an issue - besides which you're only on a bike so you should be able to see and avoid a rock in the road.

In the UK riding on the pavement is illegal.

Make sure you don't get a bike on which any of the components such as brakes, brake levers, chainguard are made of plastic. Cheap bikes will be unreliable and troublesome.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Get yourself some good pedals too I find that every mountain bike whatever in the shops that isn't real expensive comes with small pedals which irritate me, so I bought some pedals (Wellgo LU 987U Flattie Pedals are what I got, cheap and have lasted years) from here, cause I like them because they are bigger and just feel more solid.(I'm not sure you could buy from that site though being in the US so just do a search for Wellgo LU 987U Flattie Pedals on a US bike website)

oversized.jpg[/bads]

I also have a few questions about bikes. So I've had a mountain bike pretty much all of my life, and I have been interested in biking some longer distances than just around my neighborhood a few times. My first problem is my seat. Every time I go for more than 5 minutes, my bottom hurts from the seat :wall: . The seat feels soft when I touch it with my hand.. Maybe my seat is too small? I've this bike for like 5 years, so that's probably why :o , but the seat can adjust to fit me fine so I don't think it's the height.

Another thing I was wondering was why people use the bikes with the thin wheels. I'm assuming you go a bit faster, but is it worth the risk? I mean it seems like if you hit a rock you would be dead those tires are so dinky.

Do you guys ride on the roads that don't have sidewalks? One of the things I hate most when I'm driving is when there's a biker on the road either beside or in front of me. I never know if he is giong to swerve all the sudden into the middle of the road or what. It seems pretty hard to ride a bike with only a couple feet in between you and other cars / grass or rocks.

While I was researching biking I picked up a few things that might answer your questions.

Yes, they make the bike go faster, but they aren't for offroading where they're likely to hit a rock large enough to make them go off balance. And I think it was the faster you go, the stabler you are.

I also read that in some places biking on the sidewalk is illegal. In my state (Kansas) at least a bike has the exact same rights as a vehicle.

Yay for bike lanes, Biking on sidewalks is illegal, but I think there is an exception to that rule...like for a short period of time or something...

andysigwhitemc.jpg

dude i got pked and lost my full zezima

Yay for bike lanes, Biking on sidewalks is illegal, but I think there is an exception to that rule...like for a short period of time or something...

I wish we had bike lanes. Mainly I just can't get over the idea of riding so close to fast moving cars.

As for not hitting rocks on the street, sometimes there are still several rocks on the road from various things, and if you're moving so fast, it would be hard to see first of all, much less dodge it without getting hit by a car.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

If you don't already, learn to stand on the pedals. It's a really useful skill, especially uphill. #-o

Having cycled a lot too I have recently been astonished to see people on steep hills trying to pedal sitting down... It isn't as though pedalling standing up is difficult. Almost all of my cycling has been done standing up due to the nature of the style I ride, in fact last christmas when I was considering getting a newer bike I was going to get one with no seat:

tmag05.jpg

A seat would get in the way.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I also have a few questions about bikes. So I've had a mountain bike pretty much all of my life, and I have been interested in biking some longer distances than just around my neighborhood a few times. My first problem is my seat. Every time I go for more than 5 minutes, my bottom hurts from the seat :wall: . The seat feels soft when I touch it with my hand.. Maybe my seat is too small? I've this bike for like 5 years, so that's probably why :o , but the seat can adjust to fit me fine so I don't think it's the height.

Another thing I was wondering was why people use the bikes with the thin wheels. I'm assuming you go a bit faster, but is it worth the risk? I mean it seems like if you hit a rock you would be dead those tires are so dinky.

Do you guys ride on the roads that don't have sidewalks? One of the things I hate most when I'm driving is when there's a biker on the road either beside or in front of me. I never know if he is giong to swerve all the sudden into the middle of the road or what. It seems pretty hard to ride a bike with only a couple feet in between you and other cars / grass or rocks.

While I was researching biking I picked up a few things that might answer your questions.

I also read that in some places biking on the sidewalk is illegal. In my state (Kansas) at least a bike has the exact same rights as a vehicle.

I think that a big city near where I live has it illegal in the business section of town to ride on the road.

I ride on sidewalk all the time even though it's illegal. I think people would rather have you riding on the sidewalk than the actual street in the first place .

When I'm driving I could really care less :P And it sounds like people need to get the idea out to most motorists that bicycles have the same rights so motorists don't become more aggressive towards them when they're on the road.

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

If you don't already, learn to stand on the pedals. It's a really useful skill, especially uphill. #-o

That's really useful for someone like me. I ride a bmx bike so I have to stand most of the time..

As far as helmets go, I'd recomend using one. I personally don't wear one because I'm comfortable on my bike, and I've fallen enough to know pretty much how to prevent it or so I don't hit my head.. Although today I was having some fun jumping off the bleachers at my school and the handle bars came loose and went forward.. Lucky for my my bike is something like 8 years old so they were rusty and didn't fall enough for me to hurt myself.. Oh and last time I did that I popped my bro's tire (I was riding his bike)..

Having cycled a lot too I have recently been astonished to see people on steep hills trying to pedal sitting down... It isn't as though pedalling standing up is difficult. Almost all of my cycling has been done standing up due to the nature of the style I ride, in fact last christmas when I was considering getting a newer bike I was going to get one with no seat:

tmag05.jpg

A seat would get in the way.

Pedalling standing up is actually more difficult in the long run. If you're only climbing one hill, then stand up. But if you're biking for an extended period of time, sitting on the seat even when climbing steep hills will conserve energy. I think the difference is that when you're standing you have to support your own weight in addition to pedalling the bike. While sitting, you just have to pedal.

finalsig9wq.gif

Now for my next question, how do you know if a bike still fits you? :P I haven't been on this for at least 3-4 years and I looked at it a few minutes ago and it had waspnests all over it xD

I'm assuming it's a standardish frame so you'll want to check a few things. For one, standover the bike with bare feet. You should have about 0-1 inches of clearance between you and the top tube. You should be able to pick up the handlebars/front tire up to about an inch without hitting anything.

For your seat post height, you need to check your leg positioning. You'll need a way to get on the bike stationary so get a helper, a trainer, or a wall to hold yourself steady. Put your heels on the pedals and pedal backwards, keeping your hips level. Adjust your seat so that your heels maintain contact with the pedals and you are able to pedal without rocking your hips to reach.

Some other adjustments may be needed. If you know of a local bike shop, take your bike in for a tune-up and they'll most likely re-fit your bike to you...assuming it's not entirely too small.

Having cycled a lot too I have recently been astonished to see people on steep hills trying to pedal sitting down... It isn't as though pedalling standing up is difficult.

Climbing steep hills while seated requires a great deal of leg strength. While remaining seated does conserve the energy of using your arms and body weight to pedal, some cyclists work hills seated for leg-muscle endurance. Climbing while standing gives you more power & momentum because you can use your arms and body weight to move the pedals instead of just leg strength.

In essence, the thing to do is mix it up so you can stretch, take the load off your saddle and conserve energy when you need to.

-------------------------------------

Other things I always wear/have with me:

• * Helmet, always.

* Hydration. I still use bottles and cages.

* Padded shorts, even if it's just touring shorts.

* Padded gloves, to relieve pressure and skim wheels when I run through glass.

* Frame-mount pump or C02 cartridges.

* Under-seat pouch with compact tool set, spare tube and cash.

Probably $130-180.

I imagine that's USD, but ...what?!

I paid about 800$ (CAD) for mine (taxes included), a Louis Garneau hybrid (locally based brand, very good quality). I've had it for over two years and get it tuned up semi-regularly.

One good tip I've learned though, is have them reinforce the nozzle area of the innertubes with a patch, whether or not there's a hole. The reason is that with use, the rubber around the nozzle area becomes weaker (eg., moving the nozzle around when attaching the pump), so patching the area around it steadies the nozzle into position, making it less prone to breaches, and if/when there is one:

a) Either the innertube breaches, but the patch prevents any immediate problems.

or B) the patch breaches

If the patch breaches but the innertube hasn't (yet); Huzzah! You get a bit of extra use out of it!

That's pretty much what happened to me with my first flat; the area around the nozzle split open, so I had to get a new innertube, that's when the guy suggested the patch idea and did it for me! ... Two days later I rode over a rusty piece of metal and pierced my tire & innertube :S lol

Good luck and have fun!

TripWire.png

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I got the bike (A Trek 3500 mountain bike... yes I know, but the non mountain bikes at the stores in the area were in a league above it pricewise :uhh: )

So now, I need to hit up the bike stores again for accessories. So far all I have is the bike and a keyed lock.

Skimming through the entries, I'll want:

- A helmet (might look into this, not a definite yes though, as I dont be planning to do any stupid stuff *points at deloriagod*)

- An underseat pouch (what stuff should I look for in it?)

- Pair of gloves and a liner for winter

- Shorts :o (I haven't worn shorts in years and years >.>)

- A pump

- A bottleholder

- A light (possibility, not 100% yet)

@issy2: Heh... I doubled my last rides distance and still wasn't as worn out after it just by learning how to efficiently use the gears :P It's crazy how a small thing like that can help that much

smithie3.jpg

Excellent choice of bicycle! Both of the bicycles I've owned have been Trek and I've loved them. I currently have a Trek Cyclocross.

As for accessories, I recommend Performance Bike Shop. For things you need to try on (helmet, gloves, shorts), try them on in a store and then price them online. Performance has a lot of sales and is generally priced well below store retail prices once you know what you want. If you plan to ride on roads, I HIGHLY recommend a helmet. I never ride without one.

Here are a few recommendations:

•  
    [*:1fsy9y5z]Seatpost Pouch:
TransIt Midi Wedge: Regular Price: $12.99 - Sale Price: $6.48 (50% Off)

[*:1fsy9y5z]Tools: Spin Dr. Skeleton Crew CT Multi-Tool: Regular Price: $16.99 - Sale Price: $9.99 (41% Off)

[*:1fsy9y5z]Frame-mount pump: You may want to find one in your bike shop that you know fits your bike frame. This one should do if it fits: Hurricane Micro Mini Pump: Regular Price: $12.99 - Sale Price: $7.99 (38% Off)

[*:1fsy9y5z]Bottle cage(s): http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=11353&subcategory_ID=4342: Regular Price: $6.99 - Sale Price: $4.98 (28% Off)

[*:1fsy9y5z]Light: TopeakÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâî WhiteLite: Regular Price: $14.99 - Sale Price: $9.99 (33% Off)

You can get spare tubes from Performance, just be sure to find out what size you need. The other thing I can't live without is a computer that measures everything from mileage to cadence. I always go with Cat Eye.

Have fun with your new bike!!!

Excellent choice of bicycle! Both of the bicycles I've owned have been Trek and I've loved them. I currently have a Trek Cyclocross.

As for accessories, I recommend Performance Bike Shop. For things you need to try on (helmet, gloves, shorts), try them on in a store and then price them online. Performance has a lot of sales and is generally priced well below store retail prices once you know what you want. If you plan to ride on roads, I HIGHLY recommend a helmet. I never ride without one.

Here are a few recommendations:

•  
    [*:35yfwb4m]Seatpost Pouch:
TransIt Midi Wedge: Regular Price: $12.99 - Sale Price: $6.48 (50% Off)

[*:35yfwb4m]Tools: Spin Dr. Skeleton Crew CT Multi-Tool: Regular Price: $16.99 - Sale Price: $9.99 (41% Off)

[*:35yfwb4m]Frame-mount pump: You may want to find one in your bike shop that you know fits your bike frame. This one should do if it fits: Hurricane Micro Mini Pump: Regular Price: $12.99 - Sale Price: $7.99 (38% Off)

[*:35yfwb4m]Bottle cage(s): http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=11353&subcategory_ID=4342: Regular Price: $6.99 - Sale Price: $4.98 (28% Off)

[*:35yfwb4m]Light: TopeakÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâî WhiteLite: Regular Price: $14.99 - Sale Price: $9.99 (33% Off)

You can get spare tubes from Performance, just be sure to find out what size you need. The other thing I can't live without is a computer that measures everything from mileage to cadence. I always go with Cat Eye.

Have fun with your new bike!!!

Regarding the helmet: I'll make a compromise, I'll get one once the temperature starts dipping down and the roads have a chance of getting a tad frosty

As to the seatpost pouch: I haven't been able to find a picture of how one of those is on the bike. Right now I have the bicycle lock mounted facing towards the front of the bike on my seatpost and I'm not sure if I'd be able to get a pouch on? I'd like a little more detail on how they fit on, that's all

smithie3.jpg

@issy2: Heh... I doubled my last rides distance and still wasn't as worn out after it just by learning how to efficiently use the gears :P It's crazy how a small thing like that can help that much

Sorry to "hijack" your thread again, but can you explain, or point me in the direction of a site that explains how for "bike newbies"? I read the one on the Ken Keifer(sp) site you linked which is really cool by the way, but I couldn't understand as he was using termonology I didn't quite get.

Thanks in advance, and grats on the new bike =D> . Your thread which lead me to the Ken Keifer website has inspired me to get out more than ride my bike though I'm still uncomfortable riding on roads outside neighborhoods that actually have traffic and cars moving at a fast pace. My friend and I went exploring on our bikes which was fun and on our way back home we found ourselves on a busy road where the speed limit is 45 mph. Since it would take us forever to back-track, we decided to go for it. It went okay, but it was pretty scary having cars only a couple yards away from you to your left and (sometimes) a dangerous shoulder that kind of drops off into the grass (know what I mean? Where they don't pave the aspalt so it is a smooth transition into the grass). Oh and plus we didn't have helmets because well.. I'm trying to think of a good reason lol.. They're really uncomfortable especially on hot days, and the one I have may or may not fit (I have yet to try to ride with it on =().

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

Sorry to "hijack" your thread again, but can you explain, or point me in the direction of a site that explains how for "bike newbies"? I read the one on the Ken Keifer(sp) site you linked which is really cool by the way, but I couldn't understand as he was using termonology I didn't quite get.

Thanks in advance, and grats on the new bike =D> . Your thread which lead me to the Ken Keifer website has inspired me to get out more than ride my bike though I'm still uncomfortable riding on roads outside neighborhoods that actually have traffic and cars moving at a fast pace. My friend and I went exploring on our bikes which was fun and on our way back home we found ourselves on a busy road where the speed limit is 45 mph. Since it would take us forever to back-track, we decided to go for it. It went okay, but it was pretty scary having cars only a couple yards away from you to your left and (sometimes) a dangerous shoulder that kind of drops off into the grass (know what I mean? Where they don't pave the aspalt so it is a smooth transition into the grass). Oh and plus we didn't have helmets because well.. I'm trying to think of a good reason lol.. They're really uncomfortable especially on hot days, and the one I have may or may not fit (I have yet to try to ride with it on =().

I also found http://bicycling.about.com to be pretty handy as well, but if you just learn the terminology used on Ken Kifer's page, it seems a lot better. Plus, it has that personal touch!

smithie3.jpg

Lol, when I first saw this thread I thought, "Runesmithie, a biker?!" I'm not exactly one of those spandex warriors you see gliding the streets, I'm more of the give-me-shoulder-pads-and-a-kidney-belt kind of riders...

In my area when we say "biker" we mean the second kind as downhill is big in BC as it seems to be the MTB capital of the world with Whistler/Blackcomb, the north Shore and all that jazz. So I was thinking you were going to be one of them, but I was wrong. ::'

I see you've picked yourself a bike. Good on you, I ride a bike to and from school and work several times a week but I've never gone for a road bike or anything. The bike I use for everything I bought at $1050 and have spent atleast $500 in upgrades. Good call on going for the helmet. I'd wear one more often although I only own a fullface and in the summer it gets stinking hot. I'd recommend http://www.pinkbike.com to learn a lot more about biking in general and if you have the urge to ask more questions you could join the forums there as it is a very friendly and helpful community. I've been a member there for the past couple years and any question I needed to ask was answered promptly. I think the only thing I don't like about it is that the community seems to be primarily 13-15 year old kids and sometimes there answers are a little muddled up (but right all the same), but then an older guy will answer or one of the trusty mods and it'll all make sense.

Best of luck saving on gas. I dont know what you're complaining about though. the price of gas has been $1.15 a litre for the past month here...

Slack_Tide.png

Buy a camelpack, its a backpack you fill with water and it has a hose that goes to you mouth. We had them in cadets, they save lives. Also buy a DECENT bike if you plan to ride that far each day. You'll be much fitter though if you keep it up.

Lvl 80 construction.

Dragon Drops: 11 (4 Chains, 2 Axes, 1 Med, 2 Skirts, 1 Legs, 1 2h)

God Wars Drops: 4 Zamorakian Spears, 1 Godsword Shard 1