What is it about the word noob?

Lacarnaya

What is it about the word noob that people find so offending, or expect others to be offended by? If someone calls you a noob, what is that supposed to mean? I mean EVERYBODY can find themselves a reason of why someone would call them a noob. Newb is different, simply used to describe someone as being new, short for newbie. But noob... Is it a mispelling of the word newb? Is it a word someone thought of cause he ran out of big words? I don't know, but I simply ask, what is so offending about it? In the rants forums, discussion & suggestion forums, and in flames, I see that word. And all it does is confuse me.

Live, love, eat!

noob = stupid annoying person who flames others, begs and scams. Many noobs use poor grammer and spelling, and quite a few happen to be in a certain age catagory (12 yrs. old)

well, the last part is my own personal opinion, but yeah, noobs are annoying idiots.

however i would just like to say the word noob is grossly misused on a regular basis. it shames me to see the people misnomered noob just because they are lower leveled, or new, or plays the game differently (i.e. OoC.)

please everyone, if you are going to use the word, use it right.

RAVE BREAK!

noob = stupid annoying person who flames others, begs and scams. Many noobs use poor grammer and spelling, and quite a few happen to be in a certain age catagory (12 yrs. old)

well, the last part is my own personal opinion, but yeah, noobs are annoying idiots.

however i would just like to say the word noob is grossly misused on a regular basis. it shames me to see the people misnomered noob just because they are lower leveled, or new, or plays the game differently (i.e. OoC.)

That isn't really fair I'm 12 and you don't see me begging, scamming, and using bad grammer/spelling. You should think about what you post before stereotyping people

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

one- you seem like you care as for the fact you posted. your post was pointless so i see it as you posted for more posts. I call this a flame.

two- People have taken noob too far. Fellow players have expanded the term noob.

noob- a player who has been playing for a while yet has gone no where, has no skill, and a far less understanding of the game. Not an annoying jerk!

newb- A "new" player.

one- you seem like you care as for the fact you posted. your post was pointless so i see it as you posted for more posts. I call this a flame.

two- People have taken noob too far. Fellow players have expanded the term noob.

noob- a player who has been playing for a while yet has gone no where, has no skill, and a far less understanding of the game. Not an annoying jerk!

newb- A "new" player.

#1 - Were you talking about Bubsa just trying to get post count?... :-k :roll: . No.

#2 - You are correct. People have taken noob way too far over the years. These days anybody is a noob it seems. In fact I've heard of Zezima being called a noob. Which makes no sense seeing as the guy is actually nice, good at the game, AND not a complete moron. Which makes no sense to me.

#3 - Noob means a lot of things. It's actual meaning, in my opinion, is a more experienced player (not meaning high levels... just not somebody who is level 7 or something and just started) acting like a newb. Somebody who begs, spams, and acts like a small child.

#4 - Noob can in fact mean an annoying jerk. How is that? Because as I stated in #2 (and #3), Noob has been twisted and overused over the years that it can mean just about anything these days :? .

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

I was making the point that the discussion of the terminology of the word has become as diluted and pointless as the word itself, and that we shouldn't let it bother us.

So please, stop the little personal vendetta. I don't know what life I've wronged you in, but I'd like you to stop, for your sake. You're embarrassing yourself.

I was making the point that the discussion of the terminology of the word has become as diluted and pointless as the word itself, and that we shouldn't let it bother us.

I almost didn't reply, just because I didn't want to bump up this post. However, I have to give you a virtual thumbs up for that quote.

I almost didn't reply, just because I didn't want to bump up this post. However, I have to give you a virtual thumbs up for that quote.

Exactly right, both of you! :D

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

k back on topic here sometimes pllp will call you a noob if they run outta things to throw at you or if you just proven them wrong at something...kinda like something to fall back on, like as in "oh yea, well ur still a noob!"

siggy.png

Here's my theory after some thought:

As it was mentioned before a noob is basically an

annoying idiot. Now nobody wants to be associated

with being a noob because being a noob is degrading

and of low status.

Now for people to call others noobs it's like a free shot

at the other person's self worth. That probably the

reason why some people get so worked up.

Playing RS for any length of time you're bound to

take a few shots to the face by being called a noob

whether legitimately or not. Now if you're a secure

person, it bounces off and you can turn the other

cheek. But over time it adds up and to the point

where either you accept their opinion of you being a noob

or you reject it. Most people reject it and end up in

a flame war with the other person, going eye for an eye.

I personally would like to see a karma system set up

but to get one to work adequately would be a challenge.

Spaneard.png

3.png

to me, at this moment, the word "noob" is what losers will say to winners.

at 87 range level, i want to train my range and prayer at the same time. i chose Varrock Sewer (multi-combat) as the spot. thus, a lot of 60ish - 80ish meleers are losing their big bones while they are fighting by my side. in such case, they call me "noob", which is very much a compliment to me.

I am back.

to me, at this moment, the word "noob" is what losers will say to winners.

at 87 range level, i want to train my range and prayer at the same time. i chose Varrock Sewer (multi-combat) as the spot. thus, a lot of 60ish - 80ish meleers are losing their big bones while they are fighting by my side. in such case, they call me "noob", which is very much a compliment to me.

This makes perfect sense! :thumbsup:

I've been called a noob simply because I refused to sell them a piece of my rune armour. There's alot of sore losers out there.

What about this,

if you call certain people derogutory(sp)

terms like jew or the N word they get

super pissed. Why is that?

Also let's keep this civil.

That's uhh....much different.

A mind not to be changed by place or time.

The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n.

n00b (EQ spelling) has been twisted from it's original meaning on every game. At first it was a term of affection even on runescape ("aww the n00by can't find the monastary here follow me we can go together") but it has been used by those who want to insult you, call you an inexperienced player. The biggest insult (for me at least) is when a lower lvl obviously weaker and less experienced player says "ya well n00b my main can own you" they think that they are better for hiding behind this other persona (whether true or untrue)

The best defense in my opinion is to switch worlds, it's not like the old days where there were just three :lol: be a better person and help this term die out A.S.A.P.

Rs name: bionicl00 (00 is 2 zeros)

F2P forever! All my F2P stats are currently at or above 30.

Wow... I just scanned it with my new high tech program called "common sense" and it detected a scam.

87.964% of all statistics are made up.

Well the word n00b is more commonly used now as a term of disgust if one player doesn't get tehir way and another does. Yesterday I got called a n00b for not trading my Saradomin Page 4 for a blue mystic top as I thought I'd make a loss by doing so.

Seeing the word used everywhere and not for the right reasons I created a new word. B00n. Meaning "Elite", and other related good words. Maybe it'll work.

Could always have Bewn "Elite New" too.

runemrune,Mr%20Vegetabl2.gif

Legends Quest Completed 4th April 2007 Combat Level 79

Visit my blog! The MrVegetable Diaries

That isn't really fair I'm 12 and you don't see me begging, scamming, and using bad grammer/spelling. You should think about what you post before stereotyping people

Same here, i'm 12 to but on 3th august (tomorrow) i'm coming 13, so that means i'm not going to be called noob anymore? Na-ah-ah, even 18 years old people get called noob, just because we are 12 (Wich means, dumb) we are noobs, i play games longer then most of u, i'm not afraid to even bet for that, i live in belgium and i think my grammer/spelling isnt that bad.. :roll:

I get called noob because i help low lvls, when i help them and answer their questions, they run away and call me noob..

ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang m8

I am not asking what you think the word noob means. I am asking why so many people seem to find it very offensive or expect others to be offended. Some may find the meaning offensive, but the fact that it is used so often should make people.. well.. jaded, yet so many people seem to find it the most offensive thing a person could say.

Live, love, eat!