Post intelligent opinions on "emo" and "goth

Notorious_Ice

O rly?

In its original incarnation, the term emo was used to describe the music of the mid-1980s Washington, DC scene and its associated bands. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it.

From Wikipedia ^

lol...

i thought emo and goth were just ways companies could group and order our generation and sell stuff (ie music clothes etc.) and they did this largely through m-tv. (Video killed the radio star)

Alot of people i know get depressed but often cover it up instead of dressing "all emo like".

heartogoldcopy1oo5cv.jpg

A big shout-out to o0samurai0o for the awesome sig!!!

Members is hawt

101 Combat

{Live Fast. Die Young. Leave A Good Looking Corpse}

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Cithien said is absolutely right. It's just unappreciative teenagers that seek attention. Except he worded it alot better than I did.

But honestly there is no serious discussion to be discussed about emo's, there only goal is to behave miserably in order to attract sympathy to their already border line perfect lives.

I noticed several comments along the lines of "These people have money and good looks; what do they have to be depressed about?" My question to y'all is this: Are such material things all that determine happiness? Is environment all that determines happiness? Is it possible that there's more to the equation, a factor that would explain why people feel the need to act depressed, and why people actually do become depressed?

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Oh, so that's what happened, Astralinre? You mean all 10 of these friends developed clinical depression at the same time, and the timing just happened to coincide with the rising popularity of the emo culture? Makes perfect sense to me...oh wait, no it doesn't.

I can't think of a single factor, outside the rising popularity of emo, that would have triggered the change I described in my friends. No death, no crime surge, no previous history of mental illness, no traumatic or life-changing events. Of course though, we can't just attribute the change to the logical source. No, there must be something besides a pop culture movement that triggered insanity in 10 of my friends simultaneously. If you figure out what the real cause was, please enlighten me.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and say the opposite.

~Sam Levenson

I merely asked a question, and your answer to that question is no. There's no need to antogonize me.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks everybody for the replies.

Props to:

cithien

caligula101

astralinre

mad4u689

reddawn509

rizla

blushenka

thief2268

deloriagod

I will be using quotes from these people.

Mercifull: Thanks for that link, i was going to use it but it expired and its gone now :(

assignments due in about a week, im using powerpoint but i lost my office disk #-o :wall: I have to use openoffice impress now :( I don't know how to use it, and it doesn't have the features that ms does so it will take me longer than it should.

Suppose i better get started then.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin.

Ok thanks everybody for the replies.

Props to:

cithien

caligula101

astralinre

mad4u689

reddawn509

rizla

blushenka

thief2268

deloriagod

I will be using quotes from these people.

Mercifull: Thanks for that link, i was going to use it but it expired and its gone now :(

assignments due in about a week, im using powerpoint but i lost my office disk #-o :wall: I have to use openoffice impress now :( I don't know how to use it, and it doesn't have the features that ms does so it will take me longer than it should.

Suppose i better get started then.

Good luck with your assignment... Can you post the power point so we can view it. It should be interesting.

heartogoldcopy1oo5cv.jpg

A big shout-out to o0samurai0o for the awesome sig!!!

Members is hawt

101 Combat

{Live Fast. Die Young. Leave A Good Looking Corpse}

goth is an subculture that will stay around for a while alltough there very underground (i knwo very few goths around here)

and emo... well they just suddenly popped up from the ground :wall: they wont last for long

not everybody wants to hear the bubblegum pop garbage.

im gonna burn in hell and drink all of satans beer.

trashmetal/deathmetal/hardrock/folkmetal die hard

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the assignment is due tomorrow, but I thaught I might add a survey if i get enough replies in the next couple hours.

All I want from anyone is 1 2 or 3. If you feel you have to post an "other" which could help me/you just want to post it, could you please keep it short and simple. I have kept the poll simple for a reason.

The question is, have you been affected negatively by emo/emo music?

1: Yes, Personally.

EG: "I used to but I don't now, it gave me a bad point of view in life but im through that 'phase.' "

2: Yes, Not personally.

EG: "My friends turned emo and I don't feel as close to them anymore because I don't want to hang around them"

3: NO, I have never thaught badly of life whilst listening to that music, and never been affected negativly by it.

Thankyou.

-And to the mod who locked my other topic, I made a new one hoping to get more people reading/more people voting. I was planning on getting the results within an hour and requesting it gets deleted. Nobody is voting though so it looks like I will have to give the survey a miss.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

As a researcher I just want to point out how badly you have worded your questions. You put several possible opinions into one answer. As one example... "NO, I have never thaught badly of life whilst listening to that music, and never been affected negativly by it" should be split into "NO, I have never thaught badly of life whilst listening to emo music" and "NO, I have never been affected negativly by emo music"

I suggest you redo your "survey" thinking more about possible options, multiple choice or milticode questions. Also are you taking any demographic details? age, sex etc, in order to do some kind of crosstabs on your results?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Yes I should have done that, but I was going to use results as 'facts' rather than putting up an actual survey. I threw the questions together in about 2 minutes, hoping I could get a decent amount of replies in the couple hours I had left. I had to hand it in this morning. Did an absolutely terrible job because I ran out of time. I think I might have scraped a pass though.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

I have no problem with Emo's or Goth's as long as they are crying for a reason. Most of them are not.

It makes me want to punch them in the face when they say how bad they have it, right before getting into their new car their dad bought them, who is a doctor, so they live in a nice house in the 'burbs and get lots of nice, expensive gifts for their birthdays and christmas. Try getting nothing for either holiday once, you whiney poops.

Those kids need to shut the hell up. I'm glad I got out of school before this phase, because I went to school with people like that, and if they got all whiney about their lives, I would have got suspended more often, surely. #-o

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

I don't know about other people but I have a difficult time seperating the real people from the trendfollowers of 'emo'

I myself have been termed emo or goth all the time since the end of 5th grade. I do not think this at all right because they have been more of a clothing style recently than a mindset.

I started dying me hair black writing poetry, listening to the music, wearing black, way back then, but I was always happy and hyper. It was just my style. I hated being called gothic because its not who I really am. I've changed quite a but since then but I still enjoy alternative and rock.

So somethings are associated withthe wrong terms or people and then it gets too complicated. At least that is my opinion.

(\,,/)

(0.o)

(><) always making new friends, pm me!

rsn: furryturtle1

Before I start.. this is how I see and trying not to offend anyone.

As I once heard it called "punk music on estrogen" it bothers me to see guys wearing their sisters pants. Secondly, again not meaning to offend, an intelligent answer on this is far from considering most "emo" kids at my school aren't the most "intelligent."

• 1 month later...

I listen to all sorts of different music, and I wear plain white t-shirts and blue jeans. You can't stereotype me because I'm not a trend-following turd. /

On the other hand it sounds like you have absolutely no desire to look attractive to the opposite sex. Wearing a uniform every day like some kind of cartoon character (while definately not emo :ohnoes: ) sounds pretty freakin' boring to me buddy.

Edit: There are worse things then some idiot calling you a stereotype as you walk past him with your girlfriend.

On the other hand it sounds like you have absolutely no desire to look attractive to the opposite sex.

Ever heard of James Dean?

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

On the other hand it sounds like you have absolutely no desire to look attractive to the opposite sex.

Nope. But I just did a google search and by the looks of him it wasn't the clothes that made him attractive :anxious:

Nope. But I just did a google search and by the looks of him it wasn't the clothes that made him attractive :anxious:

Trademark was blue jeans and a whte t-shirt. :P

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!