Monkfish Discussion

imaerehw14

i personally think monkfish should be priced a lot higer than the average of 300 ea, possible even 480-500 ea.

Consider this before you post please.

Monkfishing requires a quest that requires 100 qp,66 magic, 62 fishing, 62 cooking, 45 smithing, 42 firemaking, and 40 crafting, as well as you having to defeat sea trolls at levels of 65, 87, 101, and a queen troll that is level 170 who mages and meles, drains prayer, AND having 2 requirement quests.

Compare this to its price equivelent, swordfish. At 300 ea, they heal 14 ea, and do not require a quest.

now, on to sharks. Lets say a cooked shark sells for 800gp ea average. thats ok, right?

cost divided by hitpoint healing=price per hitpoint healed. (PPH)

Swordfish 300/14=21.43

Monkfish 300/16=18.75

Shark 800/20=40

so at the moment, swordfish technically cost MORE than monkfish.

now, lets try something else. if we averge swordfish's and shark's PPH, you get 30.72 (round up to 31)

so if we multiply 16 (healing ammount of monkfish) by 31, you get 496.

496 is what monkfish should cost (technically). Now with price averages, cheap sellers, competitive prices, it can lower to 450 ea.

Now a question, why is monkfish currently underpriced.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

You know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Things are only worth what people will pay for them. Like Tuna and Corn potatos, heal the same as sharks yet no one wants to buy them for half the price.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

not many ppl fish them

which means they should be priced more than the average of 500 ea? i fail to see your logic on why monkfish cost less than what they should...

Things are only worth what people will pay for them. Like Tuna and Corn potatos, heal the same as sharks yet no one wants to buy them for half the price.

tuna and sweetcorn potatoes heal 22, and cost 1.2k ea.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

:shock: Someone has some time on their hands..

On topic: I personally keep my own monks because they are good food for barrows, which I mainly use them for. I understand about how swords and monks basically cost the same, and that doesn't make sense. Yes there are the occasional people that lower their prices to sell them, but maybe thats the reason. Not many people buy monks, and for several reasons:

1:No reason to use them for pking when we have sharks and tuna potatoes.

2:The only people that would probably use them can get them on their own. They like the fishing and cooking xp, so they might as well get it all at the same time.

From those reasons, people aren't selling enough monks, so they lower their prices constantly to make a sale.

demon+spawnn.png

Barrows drops:Karil's skirt, Verac's Brassard, Guthan's warspear.

Not many people know about them...

know about what? the potatoes or the monkfish?

:shock: Someone has some time on their hands..

On topic: I personally keep my own monks because they are good food for barrows, which I mainly use them for. I understand about how swords and monks basically cost the same, and that doesn't make sense. Yes there are the occasional people that lower their prices to sell them, but maybe thats the reason. Not many people buy monks, and for several reasons:

1:No reason to use them for pking when we have sharks and tuna potatoes.

2:The only people that would probably use them can get them on their own. They like the fishing and cooking xp, so they might as well get it all at the same time.

From those reasons, people aren't selling enough monks, so they lower their prices constantly to make a sale.

even if they are hard to sell, they shouldnt cost 300 ea. 400 ea minimum. and swordfish cost MORE than monkfish technically. you pay the same ammount of $ for swordies that heal 14, for monkfish that heal 16.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

I fished 2.4k monkfish today and yesterday. The reason they are so cheap is people don't realise what they can do. They also fill an unwated niche. They heal too little for pking, and cost too much for normal eating (quests, slayer etc). So the price is lowerd. People are stuck to the idea of swordies and lobbies being the only food too.

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

Just one of those things... Also because of the high requirements people didn't come running out after the quest shouting look look I have something really good, they kept it secret because it was good training and food.

Also arn't they unedible to people that haven't done the quest?

I fished 2.4k monkfish today and yesterday. The reason they are so cheap is people don't realise what they can do. They also fill an unwated niche. They heal too little for pking, and cost too much for normal eating (quests, slayer etc). So the price is lowerd. People are stuck to the idea of swordies and lobbies being the only food too.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

They make EXCELLENT food for Quests, pretty good food to PK with as well. Why? Because they heal more than Swordies, a little less then Sharks, they'll be cheaper anyway. And they're faster to make than cheese potatoes or whatever. They also catch faster, provide more fishing xp than sharks. They should be priced more than swordies though. :)

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

Just one of those things... Also because of the high requirements people didn't come running out after the quest shouting look look I have something really good, they kept it secret because it was good training and food.

Also arn't they unedible to people that haven't done the quest?

any one on p2p can eat monkfish. they are sold and edible to anyone, quest or not.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

Dave you crazy your gonna make me pay more for monkfish... I'm poor :pray:

MarkNoZeros.png

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee,

and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

For the love of....

Its just food, people will only pay what they think its worth!!!

You give someone that has never seen a party hat before its just a frilly hat!!

You seem to think that there is some sort of set price(There is its the shop price) There isn't its just what people will pay!

It is a little crazy that Monks are the same price, but they are a heck of a lot easier to fish than Swords IMO. Monks for me come about at the same rate as lobs, and with Swords you get some Tuna in the mix.. But honestly do you know anyone selling 1k raw swords? You will hardly ever find it, but with monks I can almsot gurantee you that there is almost 1 per page on a lot of forum "markets".

The reason why is there newer, and less known. Lobbys will always be a stand in the community, even if other fish are better options people just like the lobbys.

I only go there for the fishing exp, but I will tell you one thing, there are a decent ammount fishing. But I dont think many fish there other then the exp.

No arguments, its a great food and my fish of choice most of the time.

runescapesig7gw.png

Current Goal: Fire Cape, 0-6 at the caves 0-3 agianst the Jad, Lag done me in.

Yeah, but monkfish catch very quickly, and unlike swordfish you don't get half tuna/half swords. Monkfish burn less often (unless you have cooking gaunts) are closer to a bank than most swordfish-ing spots (except the guild of course).

Although if you really look at it ...

Lobsters are 200 ea, they heal 12. Monkfish are 300 ea, they heal 16. Sharks are 900 each, they heal 20. Since monkfish heals the amount right between lobsters and sharks, they should be priced as such.

In my opinion a fair price for monkfish would be 500-600 each. But I'm not complaining .. cheap, effective food. It rocks.

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

Actually, he knows the VALUE of the monks. The price is what is wrong not their value. They deliver more hp in the same manner but cost less. Regardless of what PRICE people pay for them, their VALUE is still higher than what is currently being paid.

To the author:

You are 100% right. Here are the reasons that they aren't priced "correctly".

1. They are great xp. People will continue to fish and cook them regardless of whether the price is 10gp ea or 10k ea. The xp and healing value to the fisher/cooker is just too great to ignore.

2. They are new. Large groups of people disdain change. I would say that 60% of all runescapers have no clue what they even heal. Even if they knew they wouldn't want to "change". :ohnoes:

3. They are "hard" to obtain. This fits with 2. Since few people out of the entire rs population can fish monks themselves they remain ignorant to the glory that is monk. If EVERYBODY had access to them then people would have a better chance of seeing their true value. Then again, with access there would be more fishers/cookers and therefore more supply. I still think that the demand would rise above it onc familiar, though.

4. They are "easily" obtained. While this seems to conflict with 3 it actually compliments it and aligns with 1. Because of their fast catching there are a lot more caught than the demand can consume. If they gave more xp and were slower to catch (but the same average xp per hour total) then this would lower the supply greatly which would match the demand better.

5. Swordfish are over-priced. They are one of the hardest food to fish since they bring in tuna as well. You can't catch as many swordfish an hour as lobs/monks regardless of levels or tactics due to this fact. That, combined with the fact that they are the best food on f2p, greatly inflates their price comparitivly. Using lobs vs. sharks would be a more accurate depiction but your point still stands (just not quite as extremely so).

Another great thing about monks is that they weigh much less than sharks. This helps barrowing, agility, and many other long travel times while packing food around.

I, sadly, don't see monks rising above 350-400 ea (max) anytime soon due to the above reasons.

RahkUrWrld.png

PM me in game to use some skills of mine (glories/potions) free or to ask a question.

Fire Cape - 04/29/06 Lvl 104

RAHK's Pro PC Gear and Guide(clickable)

splash02tm6.jpg Tired of hack and slash? FPSers getting old? Give this game a try!

You are 100% right. Here are the reasons that they aren't

priced "correctly".

1. They are great xp. People will continue to fish and cook them regardless of whether the price is 10gp ea or 10k ea. The xp and healing value to the fisher/cooker is just too great to ignore.

4. They are "easily" obtained. While this seems to conflict with 3 it actually compliments it and aligns with 1. Because of their fast catching there are a lot more caught than the demand can consume. If they gave more xp and were slower to catch (but the same average xp per hour total) then this would lower the supply greatly which would match the demand better.

5. Swordfish are over-priced. They are one of the hardest food to fish since they bring in tuna as well. You can't catch as many swordfish an hour as lobs/monks regardless of levels or tactics due to this fact. That, combined with the fact that they are the best food on f2p, greatly inflates their price comparitivly. Using lobs vs. sharks would be a more accurate depiction but your point still stands (just not quite as extremely so).

I, sadly, don't see monks rising above 350-400 ea (max) anytime soon due to the above reasons.

That's what I said! You just said it more .. eloquently.

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

I'm a monkfisher (is that even a word?), and I'd never bother selling my monkfish. The select few that can catch them do so, and the rest doesn't care about monkfish. I doubt they know any fish besides lobsters, sharks, tuna and swordfish. The last 2 only because they come together while catching them. It's also too much of a pain cooking them, you won't stop burning till you reach 94 and that's a high burn rate compared to other fish.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

This is a simple question to answer.

The reason why the low price is this....

They are very easy to fish.

They fish faster than lobsters. The higher prices foods are much more difficult to obtain. Enough people have done the quest to supply the market, and since they're so easy to fish, they're available in high numbers.

I replaced my lobster spot in my bank with these guys. Although I hate the walk. And no fairy ring? Sheesh. Jagex meanies. :P

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

They are easier to fish, even at the minimum level required to fish them. Whilst sharks, which require a higher fishing and cooking level are slower. As Leeseters pointed out, enough people have done the quest to supply the market. Also, as most pkers should know, 4hp can make a big difference when it comes to pking. And if it didn't, most likely pkers would still be using pizza. :wink:

The optimal.