Camping at Barrows (12+ runs) on modern Mage (Aug 06) (AoW)

chenw

After experimenting with a few different inventory and equipment setups, as well as using my over 1k Run experience, I have put together a method which one could stay for over 12 runs without ever having to bank. This method is only tested on lv 100+ with 68+ prayer so I do not know whether it will work as well for lower levels.

Equipment Set-up:

invjw1.png

Inventory:

Potion set up 1:

pot1en4.png

Potion set up 2:

pot2uq9.png

All potion are 4 doses

The 2 potion setups will ultimately be dependent on 1 thing : Would you be taking out Dharok in his crypt? If yes, Setup 1. If no, Setup 2.

For those of you who are unfarmiliar with the Hidden Safe Spots in the tunnels, consult my Guide to the Barrow Tunnel Hidden Safespots. Those are the basis of my guide.

Attack Plan for Setup 1 (starting with a prayer of 0, straight after a chest loot):

1. Drink 1 Prayer pot dose, go in Dharok's Crypt (or super restore if Karil was your Tunnel in the previous run). If Dharok is not a Tunnel, kill, redose if needed. If Dharok is a tunnel, go to step 3.

2. Go to Karil's Crypt, Put on ranged prayer, and search Coffin. If Karil is a not Tunnel, RUN out of the crypt, and go to step 3. If Karil is Tunnel, go to step 4.

3. Drink Super Attack potion, equip DDS and Rune Defender, click on special bar once. Go into Crypt, Ranged pray and incredible reflexes, Unload 4 DDS specials on Karil. Finish with Whip. If your prayer runs out and he has less than 25% health, DO NOT REPOT. Go to Ahrim's Crypt once Karil kneels down.

4. Equip your Karil's Armor and Crossbow, and set Rapid. Dig in Ahrim's Crypt, turn on your Mage prayer if you have any left, and search the coffin. If Ahrim is a Tunnel, go to Step 5. If not, Drink 1 dose of Super Restore, and kill Ahrim with Eagle Eye and Mage Protect.

5. Re-Equip Guthan's armor, Slayer staff and Rune Defender, search Guthan's Coffin. If he is a tunnel, go to step 6(*). If not, mage him.

6. Go to Torag's Crypt, search Crypt. If he is a Tunnel, go into the tunnel, if not, kill Torag. Once he is dead, head to the tunnel. If you have not encountered Tunnel up to killing Torag, go to Verac's Crypt and into the Tunnel.

7. Heal with Guthan's Set if necessary. Use the following map to force spawn Verac and any remaining melee brothers, and kill them with safe spots (ladder spots are extremely useful for this):

barrowssafespots3ko.png

The Pink doors show where the doors ideal for force spawning of these 2 brothers.

8. Get desired Kill Count, go to chest, loot the goodies and exit tunnel, Go back to step 1.

(*) : At this point you may force spawn the remaining Melee Brothers if do not want to go to Torag's Crypt

NOTE: If Karil or Ahrim is your Tunnel, DO NOT FORCE SPAWN the melee brothers unless the tunnel brother is dead. Use the spots if you spawn the melee brothers nefore that, but do NOT intentionally spawn them.

Attack Plan for Setup 2 (starting with a prayer of 0, straight after a chest loot):

1. Go to Karil's Crypt, and drink 1 Prayer dose (or super restore if Karil was your Tunnel in the previous run). Put on ranged prayer, and search Coffin. If Karil is not a Tunnel, RUN out of the crypt, and go to step 2. If Karil is Tunnel, go to step 3.

2. Drink Super Attack potion, equip DDS and Rune Defender, click on special bar once. Go into Crypt, Ranged pray and incredible reflexes, Unload 4 DDS specials on Karil. Finish with Whip. If your prayer runs out and he has less than 25% health, DO NOT REPOT. Go to Ahrim's Crypt once Karil kneels down.

3. Equip your Karil's Armor and Crossbow, and set Rapid. Dig in Ahrim's Crypt, turn on your Mage prayer if you have any left, and search the coffin. If Ahrim is a Tunnel, go to Step 4. If not, Drink 1 dose of Super Restore, and kill Ahrim with Eagle Eye and Mage Protect.

4. Re-Equip Guthan's armor, Slayer staff and Rune Defender, search Torag's Coffin. If he is a tunnel, go to step 5(**). If not, mage him.

5. Go to Guthan's Crypt, search Crypt. If he is a Tunnel, go into the tunnel, if not, kill Guthan. If a Tunnel was found before Guthan, head over to the tunnel, if not, go to next step.

6. Go to Dharok's Crypt, and search it. If it is a tunnel, go in. If not, run out and head over to Verac. The tunnel will be there.

7. Heal with Guthan's Set if necessary. Use the same map to force spawn Verac and Dharok and any remaining mel, and kill them with safe spots (ladder spots are extremely useful for this again).

8. Get desired Kill Count, go to chest, loot the goodies and exit tunnel, Go back to step 1.

(**) : At this point you may force spawn the remaining Melee Brothers if do not want to go to Guthan's Crypt

PS Notes:

1. Mage Armor is a waste of Inventory space. As long as your Mage bonus does not fall below -15, you will not notice ANY difference in hitting the melee brothers, whether you have +5 Mage attack bonus or +50. Mage Bonus does not let one hit harder with Darts, nor does it improve accuracy because it is already so high. Mage armor is only needed against Karil due to his armor, but since you are going to melee him, it does not matter.

2. One could theoretically stay at barrows until Guthan Set breaks if one has completed the In Aid of Myreque Quests. Use the Burgh de Rott bank to restock on potions.

3. 3 Pieces of food is enough. They serve as emergency healing should Guthan and Torag be nasty.

4. I would like to state that rumours about Prayer draining 2x faster is not true. If it is any faster, it is certainly NOT twice as fast. I have tested and confirmed that there is little to no difference in prayer drain rate.

Credits :

Satenza for his idea of Guthan Set in barrows

Kwimbob for his Super Attack / DDS idea against Karil

Leesters for his idea of Melee armor against Guthan and Torag

Imageshack for Hosting Images

Tip It for allowing the use of the Tunnel Map

Jagex for making this fantastic minigame (and the game in general)

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

updated with pictures.

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

Oh goody. after 99 fletch I'm planning on getting 70 prayer, buying guthans again and going back for another couple hundred mil... and this will help quite a bit! Nice guide, very well written and the pics added a touch of flair too. ::'

Slack_Tide.png

Wow, I just read your guide when a friend pmed me to go to barrows. I tried method 1 and it owns. Never though meleeing Karil would be so easy, when my specs are good he drops on the third :shock:

Big :thumbsup: and =D> for this guide, great job!

paintdry6yn.png

forceny5.png

Haven't played RuneScape since 12 january 2007 and it feels great :)

Great Guide, I would include a full inventory of food, not just 3 monkfish, since you have 2 more spaces left.

i found that i end up wasting food because i have to eat to pick up the runes, so thats why i made them empty. If i were to fill those, they would be super energy pots, for running to barrows without walking.

tim_chenw2.png

Yay, awesome guide. At that one point where you say "use the tunnel spots" maybe link to your other guide to explain that to those who haven't heard of them yet? :wink:

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

Yay, awesome guide. At that one point where you say "use the tunnel spots" maybe link to your other guide to explain that to those who haven't heard of them yet? :wink:

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

• 5 weeks later...

Good guide. Not to put it down or anything but i just use my simple folk 80 mage magic dart w/veracs plate [only have veracs]. It's not as good, but it works, i dont have the stats for better things. Only 2 doses and 5 pinneaple pizzas each run, i could put that down to 4-5 doses if i used no food. I like your guide though.

You might want to also add safe spots over the ladders. Weather they are there or not, you can mage/range over them.

i use them if i cant use the other safe spots.

Oh, and if needed i can post a picture of a query asking about the safe spots. For some reason i get people reporting me for bug abuse still today =\

aquasig2lc8.png

^^Click For Monster Hunting Blog (180M+ in drops)^^

You might want to also add safe spots over the ladders. Weather they are there or not, you can mage/range over them.

i use them if i cant use the other safe spots.

Oh, and if needed i can post a picture of a query asking about the safe spots. For some reason i get people reporting me for bug abuse still today =\

The link to the guide for Hidden Safespots does contain the ladder spots.

tim_chenw2.png

• 3 weeks later...