Grammar - Your forum appearance

BenBru

Aww muffin, am i asking for not even 2 seconds?

2 seconds from every person that reads your posts adds up.

What we're asking is for you to take two seconds to proofread your post. Is that too hard?

summerpngwy6.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, what are we talking about. A little bit of U instead of you. If you're using the U instead of you, just be the better man and type You, to make the crybabies stop crying. I don't see why everybody is stressing so much about it, while there are more important things these forums could use.

As if you're really having a hard time reading when somebody forgets a dot or a comma, come on man, or when soembody writes i instead of I, I mean, I suddendly don't know what his reply is about, he wrote freaking i instead of I man! I'm completely lost now! It seems more of a lack of the complainers intelligence than the complained of.. You know it's crap. Don't lie to us to make your point sound 'stronger'. On the Non-Rs related forums you really don't have that much crap anyway.

bolded part: Why should we correct you when you can yourself. You have the capabilities of handling it yourself. You seriously dont need other members to correct it for you.

Uuuh, SPELLCHECK! YOU, my friend, are writing nonsense. I shouldn't even bother reading it. Hell, I can't read it! I don't understand it. You wrote DONT, instead of don't. PLus you forgot a question mark! I'm lost.

Guys, did you see how weird that was, what I just said. It's stupid! Get over it, and learn to live with eachother. Pay some more attention to somebody's content instead of his/her grammar. Tip.it isn't school, and it shouldn't take the responsibility for your grammar either.

[edit]No offense, Darkmage. I just picked you at random.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Guys, what are we talking about. A little bit of U instead of you. If you're using the U instead of you, just be the better man and type You, to make the crybabies stop crying. I don't see why everybody is stressing so much about it, while there are more important things these forums could use.

Like I said earlier, I don't mind if the post is intelligible and has a few mistakes, but since Lionheart is trying to make a huge controversy over people correcting his spelling, I figured I might as well toss the common consensus out there. He's trying to justify his laziness. He could be NOT lazy, but he won't, and even worse, he's (vainly) attempting to make it seem as though it's right.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

darkmage099 wrote:

bolded part: Why should we correct you when you can yourself. You have the capabilities of handling it yourself. You seriously dont need other members to correct it for you.

Uuuh, SPELLCHECK! YOU, my friend, are writing nonsense. I shouldn't even bother reading it. Hell, I can't read it! I don't understand it. You wrote DONT, instead of don't. PLus you forgot a question mark! I'm lost.

Guys, did you see how weird that was, what I just said. It's stupid! Get over it, and learn to live with eachother. Pay some more attention to somebody's content instead of his/her grammar. Tip.it isn't school, and it shouldn't take the responsibility for your grammar either.

[edit]No offense, Darkmage. I just picked you at random.

You exaggerated a bit, but I see your point. All I'm saying is he should give it an EFFORT. I know he knows how to spell 'check' instead of 'cheak'. It's the effort. I'm withdrawing from this argument. All I have to say is: Lionheart, give some effort! Just try to do things correctly. Just try. And don't say you are because I know you can spell the word 'check' correctly.

P.S. It's SPELL CHECK not SPELLCHECK. Just thought I'd correct you. I must return the favour!

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Obviously, i know this. But what i ment was that I didn't learn how to spell the word properly untill i was tought to spell it. If i use spell cheack, that will not teach me how to spell anything. I need to be able to use a word in a sentence in order to learn how to use it, and if a program just gives me a correction, it wont work. Im not asking anyone here to correct my spelling each time, just remember that i dont know the word.

Oh the irony... First you're saying that you aren't stupid, the next you're saying that looking at the correct way of spelling the word doesn't help you. How can it not help you, unless of course, you don't want to learn.

srequest2me.jpg

I am an Atheist, and I take pride in it.

P.S. It's SPELL CHECK not SPELLCHECK. Just thought I'd correct you. I must return the favour!

well daan is foreign, so it is ok. :P

i would just like to point out that i dont capitalize because i am kind of lazy. however if i spell something wrong, most of the time it should be close to right, and should be easily understood. grammar i am hopelessly lost at, but i think i make sense most of the time.

I may try to start writing with capital letters. It does look a little better, but I don't think it's any more difficult to read what I wrote above. I don't think people should skip by posts because of the way they look, but since it seems the consensus here is that they do, I will write better from now on. Obviously by that I mean I will write better for most likely only tonight, and will forget tommorrow.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

well daan is foreign, so it is ok. :P

i would just like to point out that i dont capitalize because i am kind of lazy. however if i spell something wrong, most of the time it should be close to right, and should be easily understood. grammar i am hopelessly lost at, but i think i make sense most of the time.

I may try to start writing with capital letters. It does look a little better, but I don't think it's any more difficult to read what I wrote above. I don't think people should skip by posts because of the way they look, but since it seems the consensus here is that they do, I will write better from now on. Obviously by that I mean I will write better for most likely only tonight, and will forget tommorrow.

That's no excuse! He corrected me I shall correct him. It was a joke anyway :P . Your writing looks much better in the second paragraph. We don't see a lot of bad writing and misspelled words in the OT section. The RuneScape sections are flooded with errors though. IF only this thread was viewed by the General P2Pers and such. :wall:

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Ahh yes I used to always b in all teh 1337 talk and abbreviations and never used 2 think about proper grammar.

Well I just demonstrated a little of what my grammar used to be. I think I've imporoved alot though. I'm actually using apostrophe's and commas. :shock:

rssiggeh1gw7.jpg

We aren't here to facilitate topics on how to get drunk without side-effects.

^^Haha^^

Umm... I don't exactly feel like reading through five pages of posts so I'll get straight to the point. I agree. I tend to take posts less seriously if they don't use correct grammar. It's mainly the capitalization, punctuation, and incorrect spelling of simple words that get me. My friend, up until seventh grade, spelled the word "most", "moast".

Anyway, the only time I completely ignore correct grammar is when I'm talking on things like AIM or MSN messenger.

Like I said earlier, I don't mind if the post is intelligible and has a few mistakes, but since Lionheart is trying to make a huge controversy over people correcting his spelling, I figured I might as well toss the common consensus out there. He's trying to justify his laziness. He could be NOT lazy, but he won't, and even worse, he's (vainly) attempting to make it seem as though it's right.

Yea, and that's one guy in the thread. Just ignore it and the fun will be off and his revolution will fail.

Oh the irony... First you're saying that you aren't stupid, the next you're saying that looking at the correct way of spelling the word doesn't help you. How can it not help you, unless of course, you don't want to learn.

He's saying that when a machine does the thing he doesn't learn from it. Compared to lets say, writing the word down ten times.

21o4pav.jpg

@How2PK

I still don't get how you wouldn't learn from typing a word in, and watching the machine correct it for you and show the proper way of spelling it. How in the world can you not learn from that?

grammer

Grammar

Oh dearie, I don't seem to understand!

srequest2me.jpg

I am an Atheist, and I take pride in it.

@How2PK

I still don't get how you wouldn't learn from typing a word in, and watching the machine correct it for you and show the proper way of spelling it. How in the world can you not learn from that?

grammer

Grammar

Because you don't do it yourself. the machine does it. You don't learn to write it this way (well, some people do). The machine is just correcting you. Some people do learn it this way, some don't.

21o4pav.jpg

I always try to type well, but because I like to type fast I have the occasional typo. And we can all be sure everyone on this topic is taking extra care to use good grammar now.

Haha I was just thinking that. i don't really give it that much thought to be honest, some days I just really can't be be bothered to type out the whole thing. Also, the uncapitalized i at the beginning of the previous sentence was a typo not bad grammer, so technically I am now commiting myself to the capitalist monster by confirming that and contradicting myself by saying all this. Or maybe I'm just trying (and failing) to say something really long and complicated to make myself seem clever.

Hmm. The mind does strange things when bored...

98% of all people are acctually crocodiles in disguise. If you are one of the 2% that arn't paste this in your signature.

Join the campaign for more F2P Bank space!

Yea, and that's one guy in the thread. Just ignore it and the fun will be off and his revolution will fail.

Hence the fact that I pointed to his specific case.

That aside, it fuels good debate, as somebody already mentioned.

Also, there is a mod for PhpBB called SpellingCow that provides a convention for forum-inbuilt spelling and grammar checking. Of course, many people would find this rather aggravating, so it won't happen.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

I can't stand typos in my posts. I'll edit my posts a 100 times until there exactly right.

For some reason, I can't edit an odd number of times, it has to be even. So I sometimes just click edit and ok just to make it even. :oops: I'm weird. :roll:

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

I don't mind if people have some spelling errors in their posts, or when their grammer isn't completely correct. In fact, I usually don't even care so much when someone's post is full of them, as long as I can see they tried - you'll have to remember not everyone learns english as well in school as others, nor is writing on this forum equal to a test that you take for school.

BUT if I can easily see that someone just totally didn't bother to write well, then why should I take that person seriously?

@How2PK

grammer

Grammar

It's because most people don't care that they made a mistake if the machine will correct it for them. When I make errors in something that has a spell check, I blatently ignore the red underline. I just do a spell check when I'm finished, make sure the machine isn't trying to correct a name, and just let it correct them all. I rarely see people who actually look at the word they mispelled and say, "Oh no! I mispelled a word. Let's see, 'G-R-A-M-M-A-R'. Okay, I don't think I'll miss that one again,". On the other hand, if you rewrite the word that you missed 10 times each, your brain, whether you know it or not, takes that correct spelling and stores it in your memory.

I can use good grammer if I want to I know how.

but not using good grammer isnt so bad anyway its not how you type its what ur tring to say

i like pie is just sucky

but if some1 said on tip.it we need a calc that caculates drops ad stuff.

sure it would be imposoble but hes thinking up good ideas

I can use good grammer if I want to I know how.

but not using good grammer isnt so bad anyway its not how you type its what ur tring to say

i like pie is just sucky

but if some1 said on tip.it we need a calc that caculates drops ad stuff.

sure it would be imposoble but hes thinking up good ideas

Actually that example was just as sucky as "i like pie". He needs to back it up with how he thinks it should be done and why it's needed.

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

I've never, in my life on forums (around 5 years), have NEVER used spell check. I just always try my hardest to type correctly.

I really wouldn't call it an era. It was more of a definitive time period during which dinstinctive characteristics were expressed in similar ways.

Svirnsigscore.gif