A mathematical approach to the crystal bows (UPDATED v1.2)

game_proffy

WARNING! Read this at your own risk! There are lots of calculations that may drive you insane if you're not careful!

This is my first guide, so please, be soft on me XD.

If you are lazy, or canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t understand the calculations, just skip to the red ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅconclusionÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Game_Proffy.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why did i read this on a friday afternoon...why...whyyy :P

Pretty nice logical aproach to the problem. Who said that math would be useless outside of school? lol

Congrats for the "guide"

edit : "This is my forst guide" typo here, should be first

sigqp2bw9.gifIceBlackIce.gif

*** [ END ]: You gained 1,671,000 thieving exp in 9mins 44secs. That's 10,300,684 exp/h.

Dragon Drops - 1 Skirt

Wow, really good guide. Although it involves some math, it reads smoothly. :)

One other interesting point is maybe to calculate after how much shots Cbow is more profitable as MSB+rune arrows.

And if you have to much time on your hand, you could also compare it to steel arrows.

But anyway, the guide how it is now is already excellent. :)

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

to get abit of cash along with decent range xp, i sometimes range blue or green drags with my cbow and over double the cash i spent on charging and it takes almost no time at all to kill them, msb is only good for pking or dueling imo, for the spec. rune arrows are hard to buy aswell. also after i seercull-spec them, cbow rips through the noobs with like 70 mage in cwars (seercull spec stops them from casting), and the only time id ever use rune arrows in cwars is for seercull to spec mages with so very little, (would never pick up arrows in cwars, waste of time which could be used to help my team with).

Great guide! You've really put some great thought into this. =D>

One major problem: The crystal bow shoots at 25 shots/minute while the msb shoots at 35 shots a minute. So while your damage/arrow and cost/arrow analyses are great, you can't say that one will be faster than the other using this analysis.

But again. Other than that, great job.

I'm pretty impressed by your English too, considering you're from the Ukrane/Norway. Here are some tips:

"Averagely" is not a word. Try "on average".

"Boni". It's "bonuses".

"Brutto" and "Netto." Do you mean "gross" and "net"?

There are 10 types of people in the world:

* Those who understand binary

* Those who don't

- - -

Greatest J Mod Quote Ever / My bug collection / Raise your agility! / What exactly is "Anti-scam"?

Great guide! You've really put some great thought into this. =D>

One major problem: The crystal bow shoots at 25 shots/minute while the msb shoots at 35 shots a minute. So while your damage/arrow and cost/arrow analyses are great, you can't say that one will be faster than the other using this analysis.

But again. Other than that, great job.

I'm pretty impressed by your English too, considering you're from the Ukrane/Norway. Here are some tips:

"Averagely" is not a word. Try "on average".

"Boni". It's "bonuses".

"Brutto" and "Netto." Do you mean "gross" and "net"?

Thank you for your tips! I will correct the errors tomorrow, as I have to go to bed soon.

About training speed. I thought alot about putting it into the guide. However, I wasn't discussing the SPEED, but the cost. If you want, I'll make necessary calculations:

25/35*1,23=0,88. Training using C bow is 12% slower than MSB.

Game_Proffy.png

Very nice guide, another interesting element would be time.

Suppose you shoot 2k arrows, and it takes you X amount of time longer with crystal bow then magic. Then you'll add information to the money lost during that time that could be spent running nature runes (the general store method, no abyss for sanity sake...Abyss pk factor?)

Ah well, i guess I could...

Rune arrows + MSB:

35 shots/min

2008 shots

Time needed to fire off: 2008/35=about 1 hour.

C bow:

25 shots/min

2500 shots

Time needed to fire off: 2500/25=about 1 hour 40 min.

Ok, I know this may sound depressing, but I would use C bow anyways, as I hate RC.

Game_Proffy.png

Ah well, i guess I could...

Rune arrows + MSB:

35 shots/min

2008 shots

Time needed to fire off: 2008/35=about 1 hour.

C bow:

25 shots/min

2500 shots

Time needed to fire off: 2500/25=about 1 hour 40 min.

Ok, I know this may sound depressing, but I would use C bow anyways, as I hate RC.

wrong, both msb and cbow are 25 shots a minute on rapid, 20 on accurate =;

(Crystal Bow) Speed

Accurate: 20 shots per minute

Rapid: 25 shots per minute

Magic Shortbow

Cost: 3k gp

Range: +69 (beats crystals 2/10)

Speed: 25/35 shots per minute accurate/rapid

Damage: 20% Range skill with rune arrows

Ammo: 400gp per rune arrow, 20% breakage so averages 80gp per shot.

Requires: 50 Range

I admit though, I don't have the ability to use C bow yet (64 range), so I can't prove it's true.

Game_Proffy.png

First off for full disclosure I did the guide on Rune HQ.

1. Your approach to bonus benefits: We don't know how a +30 range affects accuracy anymore than a +0 range bonus. It's not linear, I know that much from testing out mage bonuses.

2. Damage: My postings on damage throughout the decay states was inaccurate. Even at 1/10, a crystal bow hits close to 25% your range skill.

3. Decay States: Many that use the Crystal bow utilizes the decay switch. That means you're using 90% of the arrows at Full Charged state.

4. Cost: I consider the first 4 charges of the bow paying for the bow itself in addition to the arrows. You pay 5k for a mage bow, but you're paying 1.8 million for the crystal bow and 720k for the first 10k shots. That's assuming you don't recharge the crystal shield instead, then you're paying even less for the bow.

5. Hidden Benefit: Hard to guage, but you can take a crystal bow out in the wild to range dragons. Trying that with rune arrows risks losing valuably ammo to pkers. With the Crystal Bow you keep the ammo and the bow. In addition, you can get your ammo very quickly. Finding 3k Rune Arrows can be a bit more time consuming than recharging 6 crystal seeds to full bows.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

i hit much better with a full cbow than a lower one, cant notice the difference between say 5/10 and 4/10 but 9/10 and 3/10 its way different.

the range bonus goes like this:

10/10 +100

9/10 +96

8/10 +92

7/10 +88

6/10 +84

5/10 +80

4/10 +76

3/10 +72

2/10 +68

1/10 +64

its more accurate than mage bows 80% of its shots, and even after that, only abit worse.

I meant the any combat bonus is not linear in benefit. I tried this out on steel dragons. I altered my mage bonus from 0, +30 and +90 attacking steels for over 1k shots each bonus level.

The benefits did not linearly improve, it was more a curve. Would take serious research to determine how bonuses impact the combat chances.

The range bonus of the Crystal bow decays linearly though (4 per level), so that's cool.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

thx for waking me up... and now ive stuff to think about for the next day...

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

:shock: = the face i had on when i read your calculations on the crystal bow and msb... too bad ill probs never use either range is a drag for me. :roll: Still very nicely done guide prof! =D>

world2isntthathardby4.pngI think merchanting is extinct....

lordofthehauntedminestextcb6.png Completed haunted mine at level 75.

Barrows Drops: Dh platelegs, Guth helm, Karils cb, Torags legs

-------------RETIRED------------------