Tip.It Times Presents: Cooking: A Skill of its Own

Kiara_Kat

i remember back in the day when all i did was make wines untill like 75 Cooking lol, then Lobbys came :)

You must have gone:

"D'OH!!! #-o "

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too remember when cooking was a more valud and varied skill and I also agree with the article writers comments about fishing changing the skill to basically a cooking fish skill. However, along with most people, I disagree that we need a new skill. What we do need is an expansion to the existing skill.

My suggestion would be to have more food items that do more than simply replace used HP. The range should be similar to that which exists for potions in the herblore skill. We could have food equivalent to all the potions found in herb lore ie. food equivalents to energy restore, antipoison, agility etc. potions (I like the idea of Angel cake for prayer restore food O:) ). I am sure doing this will encourage the use of the Cooking skill and make it worthwhile again.

In addition. I would also like to see more use made of brewing as there are some quite useful brews that you can make. At the moment very few people bother to brew ales. This is mainly due to the lack of brewing vats (those that exist are relatively inaccessible) and the length of time it takes to brew (24 hours). In order to improve this I think that each Inn in Runescape should have its own brewing vat and unique ale. If this was done we could finally find a use for all those hops we keep growing simply to get farming experiance.

Finally, on the subject of the Cooking Guild. Yes, it is now outdated and should be re-worked to reflect the changes made in the cooking skill. Some things that would improve its use are nearby wheat fields, a churn, a dairy herd nearby and a shop selling cooking utensils and ingrediaents like spces, chocolate, cheese, etc.

ya i think their should be anews cooking guild a guild for member where u need like 60 cooking and people would actually use the guild unlike the one we have.

(wow im surprised to hear that fishing was a new skill before!!!! wow wow wow i thought it just came wtih the game when it was released and wow no bank how did u ppl live????)

Good idea, but...I'm afraid I have to disagree. With just fish, cooking won't be much, and without the other stuff, cooking won't be much, either although that may be how it was in the past. If they WERE to have done that, a few changes should occur, a bit more exp in things like bread and wine, more capacity in hopper and be able to put all your grain in hopper at once, and grind at once. It's very time consuming to get to a good level grinding grain and plopping grapes into water, (just a thought, being able to actually farm grape would REALLY help, you know) unless they get a bunch of recipes decently easy, it probably won't happen. Plus, what would happen to the old cooking skill? I mean, I leveled to level 50 cooking or so without touching a single fish..(except for like a few shrimp at the very beginning) They can't just take it away, and they can't divide what part you gained from fishign and what part you got from other things. Either way, I doubt it'll happen, but it made a good point and it gave me somthing to think about. So good article :)

I got a SIGNIFICANT amount of my cooking experience from baking (most notably, pizza). I do not want all that taken away from me! :x

Now that I can raise vegetables and make cheese (and of course, catch and cook tuna), I make lots of Tuna Tots. Cheesemaking and tomato growing has made pizzas a lot easier too.

The levels to be able to cook various fish could be raised. OR, decrease the amount of experience gained from cooking each kind of fish. If you really want to make cooking harder. But, we have SO many skills to work on, I don't see the need to make things harder.

Fortunately (for me), Jagex doesn't seem interested in making things harder.

I enjoyed the article. It's stirred a lively debate too - thank you.

I would not like to see Cooking split into two skills. I think too that RScape have the right idea in gradually improving the rewards for pies, pizzas etc. to redress the balance away from fish, but remember that fishing is related to an adventurer-type existance, not the settled lifestyle of farmers and bakers.

A guild is an association of people of the same skill or craft, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards of workmanship and ethical conduct. So I agree that the cooking guild needs a serious overhaul.

I would like to see different floors - accessible with higher levels - wherein you can learn/cook some new foodstuffs: items that further redress the balance the article describes. The ability would be exclusive to the guild (and maybe POHs) and some of the ingredients could be grown/bought at the guild too.

Someone else mentioned herb-like foods. Maybe the guild could have a grudge against Herblorists and so ban the use of Herbs within the guild, but promote their own style of beneficial foods (rather like the contest here in the UK at the end of the C19th, between the quacks and the herblorists over medicine - which the quacks won, incidentally, later forming the British Medical Council)

Anyway, happy cooking!

Blecca.png

A very well-written article, as many on this thread appear to agree. However, I must disagree regarding the requirement for a new skill. It's a little excessive as a solution to a problem that has come about as a result of the mistake Jagex originally made with the fishing skill: making the hp fish restore too high. The balance between the convenience of fish and the higher restorative powers of the more complex foods is greatly skewed in favour of fish cooking, because, proportionately, the amount of additional hp gained from the complex foods is inadequate. The easiest solution is clear: increase the hp gained from complex foods, or reduce the amount given from fish.

*listens to the screams of rage coming from the shores of Catherby*

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

Of course adding the new skill would be a great addition. People would have fun building this new skill (well at least I would) and the pride showing off your level on the highscores would also motivate baker to use it more and would boost memberships so people would have more fun baking cooler and better things. In the end it would add to the games depth which is always good.

bacchanaliankq6.png

I definitely think cooking shouldn't be split into two skills. A lot of people who trained with pies, pizzas, and wines would be furious that they lost that option. I dont think i cooked a single fish until i was a level 40 cook (i used to hate the fishing skill). Cooking fish is a great way to get exp, but its a horrible way to make money. Cooked fish and raw fish are both the same price by the way. This would make fish cooking the most limited skill in the game, even worse than firemaking. The reason Jagex added high lvl non-fish foods (brewing, high lvl pies, cooked potatoes) isnt so we have a better way to train cooking, its so that cooks can make money from the skill.

Splitting the cooking skill would be like splitting the magic skill. Think about it, magic is the only combat skill that is used mainly for non combat purposes. Training magic with high alch or other skill based spells increaces your combat lvl, but doesnt give you any hitpoint xp. But i dont think that Jagex would ever seperate these into two skills. People who spent countless hours and gp on the magic skill would need to do it all over again!

That said, we definately need improvements on the guild. There should be a section added to the guild (members only or not) for high level cooks. It should include a cooking store and a bank.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

Guest arkdemon

i agree althou i think jagex should make a food that heals more then sharks add farming into the guild to that would be nice ::'

its a little off topic, but i also think they should add a food that is stackable, so you can store as much as you want in one space. However, the food would be expensive to make and only heal 1 hp, so it would be good for thieving and agility, for example, but bad for combat and pking since it heals too slow. It should also not be fish based, because thats the whole point of this argument. Potato chips anyone? \'

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

its a little off topic, but i also think they should add a food that is stackable, so you can store as much as you want in one space. However, the food would be expensive to make and only heal 1 hp, so it would be good for thieving and agility, for example, but bad for combat and pking since it heals too slow. It should also not be fish based, because thats the whole point of this argument. Potato chips anyone? \'

Thief food... nice idea... LOL! :lol:

Could use a stackable one that heals like 8 hp at a time too then... Something like chopped swordfish bits might be nice. :lol: :roll:

~Mr. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I agree that something should be done about the cooking skill. I really enjoy cooking in Runescape, but it does seem rather pointless. There doesn't seem to be that great a need for cooked dishes. Why not increase the need for them? Ideas: One has to eat every so often, e.g. once every 4 hours of playing. Or: when you eat, you can run longer or further or better.

It would then also be fun to have food at the inns, or have food stores or bakeries to sell you homecooked wares?

Making the cooking skill more useful would also increase the value of farming. It seems a bit disappointing to go through all the hassle of raising potatoes, onions or cabbages when you can just as well pick them in a field.

Leelena

i really enjoyed this article. I whole-heartedly agree that the cooking guild needs a makeover and i think that a lot of people do use the fish'n'cook thing but i really dont think its as bad as you make it out to be. i mean jagex wouldnt keep it if it went against what they want it to be. i still cook bread-based foods and i think most other people do to. just because some people want to spend all there time fishing to level up their cooking, i say let them. those of us who enjoy baking get pleasure from it and i think we should just let each other choose our own path to cooking mastery.

p.s. i actually made an account here just to comment on this topic, lol

http://runescapesig.clawz.com/stats1.ph ... Dr_Eed.png

yeah, i know im pretty much a noob, so you dont have to mention it

I think the cooking "skill" is currently well-balanced in rewarding those who take the time to make multi-ingredient dishes ["real cooks and bakers"] versus the fast-n-dirty fish cooks.

People who make pizzas and baked potatoes can cook higher-healing foods at a lower cooking level, with almost 100 % success, than any fish they can cook at the same level -- and they would burn a fair number of those fish. Also, the complicated foods give a lot more experience points.

So, the time spent fishing "extras" to allow for the burned ones, and the lower healing value of the fish they are able to cook, plus the larger number of successes needed for comparable xp, offsets the simplicity-value of only cooking fish.

The new foods Jagex has introduced have contributed a lot to balancing in this way. I don't a need to separate cooking into more than 1 skill.

How much skill does it take to do some of the other "skils" anyway? Attack - you could train that by standing in one place hitting the same low level monsters all day and all night, if you were so inclined.

A baking skill is a great idea.

But...

Make all the ingredients close together and make sacks of flour in the Baking guild, so you can get flour withought having to pick wheat, grind it then put it in a pot.

And add like special effects to some pastries, like enrgy restoration or something else like prayer bonuses.

Time Lord Science... Activated by the only thing a Dalek can't do... Touch...

Time Lord Science... It's bigger on the inside than the out...

Anyone who saw the series final of Doctor Who would know what that means.

A baking skill is a great idea.

But...

Make all the ingredients close together and make sacks of flour in the Baking guild, so you can get flour withought having to pick wheat, grind it then put it in a pot.

And add like special effects to some pastries, like enrgy restoration or something else like prayer bonuses.

I don't get it. Why lose the extra cook exp for the grain? :shock:

~Mr. Devnull