Tip.It Times Presents: Cooking: A Skill of its Own

Kiara_Kat

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article! A nice change of topics and writer too.. I thought it was interesting and I like to know things about runescape's history where I didn't... anyways I agree with the cooking guild expansion, but I think the new cooking skill idea would be too late in the day and cause too big of an uproar...

Byaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

newbankofrsyq0.gif

Good article. I disagree with most of it, but it was well written and best of all it was a good example of a "Rant" (my fellow Rant forum addicts are sure to appreciate the nod to our often-overlooked forum).

I mainly disagree because the author is offering a solution to a "problem" I had never noticed before and will probably not plague me in the future. It's probably because I appreciate all the wide variety of choice that comes with the cooking skill and like the fact that any kind of food preparation I do goes to enhance one skill, as opposed to being split between two skills.

I for one like cooking Ugthanki kebabs. I realize it isn't the most efficient way get food, but I get to level combat while getting the ugthanki meat and I also get to wipe the smug little smirks off those wannabe camels. Besides, the kebabs heal tons which help during those times I want to go hunting some more formidable foes. But I digress... Whether I'm cooking the pita bread or the illegitimate-camel meat, it all goes to level one skill. Yay!

One thing that might make us both happy is instead of separating the skills, or raising the level needed to enter the cooking guild, the kitchens in the player-owned-houses could be equipped with more than just the basics. With a high enough contruction level, we could have an unlimited supply of all the materials that go into baking some high-healing baked goods. This might give the baking aspect of the cooking skill more attention, since people may be more willing to stop by their house and stock up on baked goods than over to Catherby to get fish. I know I'd rather stop home and bake a few things (since I live right by the member's dungeon) than all the way over to Catherby.

All of those ideas are horrible, except for the one for a food that restores energy. For that they should make it so we can do something with strange fruits, like in this week's postbag. That would be good, and people would probably use it, especially if it restored lots of energy.

I agree with sligo, an artistry skill would be really cool. Especially if it was linked to construction.

"here is a food item suggestion...angel food cake...restores prayer!" I like that!

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

I totally agree with your article. Of course jagex won't infact make a seperate cooking skill for each thing but i think it would be good if they did because cooking is not really cooking anymore... Its 'fish cooking'.

I remember when i used to make apple pies and wine in the cooking guild in rsc.. It was quite enjoyable. Then when i could cook fish and the like i changed to that, it's much more boring but alot more efficent so i kept with cooking fish. Not many people like to gain exp slowly.

This article really opened up my own views that i harboured inside but couldn't express properly myself. Nice job.

ciclg6.gif

Adapt to your conditions, don't cry about them.

Runescape Since 2002

I understand your argument, and I partly agree. But, if they change the skills now, several players, (including me) would be out of a job. I make my living off lobbies and swordies, and I'd hate to lose that.

"Dost hath not giveth thy name 'noob' to thy brethren...

...Or thou art must considereth thyself a noob as well."

yeah- the level of the cooking guild should be raised to like............. 40

and.... they should put a wheat field right beside it..... its a long walk to the field next to the champs guild :shame:

and.... why would you put cows in a cooking guild? isn't that a little far-fetched? lol

dragonmbnaval,ace%20bunny60.gif

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if ~ read backwards~ ace%20bunny60.gif

ub3.png

I strongly agree. Cooking has become a sidekick skill to fishing like magic was to melee long ago. I think it should be split into two skills. Cooking, for meat, fish, beer, and a few others. And baking, for breads, cakes, pies, and pretty much anything that you think would be baked.

In the name of Guthix, I speak truth to thee...

I agree that so much of the current cooking skill is underutilized, but I'm not so sure that creating an entire new skill would solve that problem. Although you present a much better argument then the majority of those for a "Hunting" skill, I'm afraid that I'm having the same reaction. There just isn't enough demand or need for that to become a new skill. Certainly it would be a nice addition, but in the long run, I can't help but feel that there are other, better projects on which Jagex could be spending its time.

As soon as someone gets to lvl 40 in fishing the need for cooking, other than cooking the fish, is gone.

For Cooking or 'Baking' to come into it's own, there needs to be a reason for someone to want to cultivate the baking skill, other than simply for levels.

This could be done by making baked goods, have a separate or additional perk other than restoring hp. Currently there are some such cooked food that have those perks. Pies that raise farming lvls etc.

However, for myself, cooking is a necessary evil, in both the game and real life. Its not something I say "weee Lets got play RS so I can cook" I wait until the last possible minute then cook.. and groan thru every minute of it, telling myself.. 'soon my precious.. we will go forth and slaughter some unwary ne'er do well beastie...' *cackles*

um..

*cough..*

Yea..

As an F2P player i have smaller choices, but what i really disliked was the difficulty of getting even basic ingredients like flour.

to get flour i get 14 pots gather 14 wheat and go to the mill, then bank. 14 flour per walk.

then i need to make dough. need water, so i get 9 buckets 9 flour go to the well, mix and bake it and go back. i need the space for the empty utensils too, if i don't want to buy or remake them everytime.

that would be quite different if empty baking utensils would be stackable. 1 slot for 27 pots and 27 wheat for example. and you need only one slot for the empty pots after making dough.

i think this would be sufficient to make cooking other things instead of fish attractive enough.

As an F2P player i have smaller choices, but what i really disliked was the difficulty of getting even basic ingredients like flour....

that would be quite different if empty baking utensils would be stackable. 1 slot for 27 pots and 27 wheat for example. and you need only one slot for the empty pots after making dough.

I think you hit the nail on the head! The idea of stackable plates and pots is great! Or maybe the addition of a "cooks chest," similar to the crossbow case, that holds a large number of the utensils that you need ? I love the idea of expanding the cooking guild but it really should remain attainable by F2P players. Making the kitchen more useful is also a terrific idea!

I am relatively new to the game so I don't remember the "good old days" but I still have noticed how the cooking skill is marginalized by fishing. I like to cook potatos and ugthani kebabs for myself but there is absolutely no market for them. I remember when I first started out that I could not understand why everyone wanted lobsters when cakes healed more. The whole 1 bite vs. 3 bite thing took a little getting used too :) . I don't think that the answer is to split the cooking skill. I think they should just alter the hp you get from different foods. Raise the hp for baked foods and foods that take more than one step, lower the hp for fish. The idea of adding other stat boosts has merit but by itself it will not really address the problem.

I also think that it should be easier to get some ingredients. Not that I want everything to be easy but it really is a pain to make flour and butter. Jagex really should streamline that process a bit by adding a "Make X" option. Do you get cooking xp for grinding flour or milking a cow? I don't think so but given as much time as it takes you really should.

"Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist."

As an F2P player i have smaller choices, but what i really disliked was the difficulty of getting even basic ingredients like flour.

to get flour i get 14 pots gather 14 wheat and go to the mill, then bank. 14 flour per walk.

then i need to make dough. need water, so i get 9 buckets 9 flour go to the well, mix and bake it and go back. i need the space for the empty utensils too, if i don't want to buy or remake them everytime.

i think this would be sufficient to make cooking other things instead of fish attractive enough.

i think you have a great idea :thumbsup: :D

i add a flield of wheat near cooks guild and have tomato and cheese in it for pizza i mean u can only get it at the witchs house and bandit camp

But seriously, I will kill you all

I am back for realz this time I promise now that I am a member :p

Okay, I read through this, and here's my stack of replies...

I too enjoy the cooking skill. I would like to see the construction skill add more to the kitchens! Food prep and storage takes up somuch room in your bank.Why not use your kitchens to store food related items. You spent time and money to build your homes and I for one have a great kitchen..but dont use it often because i always have to go to the bank to get ingredients for pineapple pizzas or tuna corn BP's. So i too resort to just fishing to get my food for fighting high lvl beasties. here is a food item suggestion...angel food cake...restores prayer! lol

Don't you have a bank chest in your home? :o

BTW, I like your cake suggestion. Would be great to have that as an F2P... Finally show those Random Events just WHO is the boss! :twisted:

i think that jagex should change it so fish can only be cooked on stoves and things but not fires

Are you joking?!?!? :shock: THINK about the fact that Jagex is trying to be realistic. Would you REALLY take a fish you got while camping and travel all the way home with it BEFORE you cooked it? I don't think so. :shame:

:roll: OH WAAA.... I read your article, and if I get you correctly then you want two seperate skills, right? I dont see how this could help people. I actually LIKE fishing, and it gives way better exp than pretty much all the foods you can "bake." I dont see the advantage of having two different cooking skills you have to level. :shame: It's ok to feel nostalgic about the good old days (like RSC) but it simply has no place on a serious suggestion board... The only way you could possibly change my mind is to let people get 20 hp healed from eating one of these baked goods, but it would still make powerleveling a pain in the butt. Make the baked stuff heal up to 30 exp and you have yourself a concept worth the time it takes to program it.

You're right. A new skill all about a given type of cooking would only be a pain.

Btw, did you mean "heal 30 hp" for that one item and not "heal 30 exp"?!?

yeah- the level of the cooking guild should be raised to like............. 40

and.... they should put a wheat field right beside it..... its a long walk to the field next to the champs guild :shame:

and.... why would you put cows in a cooking guild? isn't that a little far-fetched? lol

Level 40? Hmm, maybe... but 31 is comfortable, given that you still have to get a special hat to enter.

Yes, a wheat field by the guild would be nice, but it would possibly trigger the needing of the other wheat field being moved/removed and that would really throw a wrench in things. :(

And I don't think the other person was suggesting a bunch of cows being "in a cooking guild", I think they were suggesting that the cows be in a pen next to the cooking guild, just like with the crafting guild.

Hope that helps a little to clarify...

Now I know why I use the bank!

I also think that it should be easier to get some ingredients. Not that I want everything to be easy but it really is a pain to make flour and butter. Jagex really should streamline that process a bit by adding a "Make X" option. Do you get cooking xp for grinding flour or milking a cow? I don't think so but given as much time as it takes you really should.

Well said. If we don't get exp for those steps, you're right, we should, but not much. The final products are supposed to be what matters. :mrgreen:

Uhm, is that a "cooking pure" account you're showing a bank image from? Or are you lying about being F2P???

u must be realy good cook, to make so many....... by the way how u got so many spinach roles?

They were either buying or had a lot of randoms...

Until next article, or I see something to reply to...

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Guest Armagedon46disabled

i remember back in the day when all i did was make wines untill like 75 Cooking lol, then Lobbys came :)