Tip.It Times Presents: Cooking: A Skill of its Own

Kiara_Kat

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely. I remember when I first got 32 cooking and I was so excited. I went into the cooking guild and made maybe one or two pies. I got bored and I don't think I've ever been in there since :|

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

yes i rember the good old days i spent hours making meals for partys,

great guide well written

newbankofrsyq0.gif

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2306/1kw4.gif[/img]

~ÃÆââ¬Â Ã¢ââ‰â¢ÃÆââââ¬Ã¡ÃâìÃÆÃââââ¬Ã¦R ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâàHÃÆââââ¬Ã¡Ãâì ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâöNÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâÃ

I, too, must disagree with this.

Cooking is not dead. Plenty of people in f2p go to the cooking guild for some experience, and some decent foods. I know i did. And i quite enjoy power-cooking from the Culinorancer's chest. I get good food and good xp. Fishing has done nothing more than streamline the cooking process. i love my tuna and sweetcorn potatoes, and cooking is just as fine as ever.

siggiebw2.png

Noted raw mackerel drop... Wtfh?

Always buying: Watermelon seeds, 2K each. Strawberry seeds, 800 each. Contact Via PM on forums.

Runescape is expanded, improved. Skills are linked & modified, usually for the benefit of most players. Yes, if you were an old school RS player, you will see new RS2 players getting benefits that you missed out on. But these are the new members whose membership payments are keeping your payments at $5 a month, while the game continues to be expanded and improved at no extra cost to yourself. So why dont you revel in the fact that your game gets better and better all the time, with no input from yourself, instead of bemoaning the fact that some people are having an easier time than you had?

You sound like a whinging old grandparent saying, "You youngsters dont know you are born! In my day we had to work 26 hours a day, 9 days a week, just to be able to eat bread and water for our tea", all the while missing the fact that modern day workers are working 30 hours a day, 10 days a week, just to pay for their elders pensions!

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

I too enjoy the cooking skill. I would like to see the construction skill add more to the kitchens! Food prep and storage takes up somuch room in your bank.Why not use your kitchens to store food related items. You spent time and money to build your homes and I for one have a great kitchen..but dont use it often because i always have to go to the bank to get ingredients for pineapple pizzas or tuna corn BP's. So i too resort to just fishing to get my food for fighting high lvl beasties. here is a food item suggestion...angel food cake...restores prayer! lol

If the new skill had more things like pizza, that hold a lot of points in one backpack space, I think it would be really popular.

Carrying large things, like sharks, slows you down when you run, and you can't eat a little at a time. I use pineapple pizzas because its like carrying 2 lobsters in one space, and that leaves me room for pots or loot.

:D

Never know, you might be #3 to reach 99 in "abking" too ! ;)

Ah, Dragn, glad you enjoyed that. ;)

Really nice article, by the way - I enjoyed reading it. I also agree. The cooking guild is outdated by five and a half years. It was crucial for pre June 2001, and now it's merely there as a relic of the past.

While I kind of dig that, it's not the same with these RS2 graphics, so I think revising it would make a lot of sense, having key elements like cows, grain and whatnot right there.

The answer would of course be a piece of food that heals 25 hitpoints in one gulp. ;) That'd really bring some hype to cooking. Perhaps it's time for a hamburger or something, beats me.

Always nice to see you, Dragn. ;)

-GregEchidna

Third player in RuneScape to 99 attack, strength, defense and hitpoints.

Nice reasoning, but I belive cooking should not be made into a seperate skill mainly because if you look at herblore it is just like cooking... Identifying herbs? Definately cooking, used every day in life. Mixing drinks? (simple, yet still cooking) A new form of cooking you say?, Herblore is the new cooking :)

A way to perhaps solve this is to possibly add herbs to fish (other than dougle leaves) or maybe stuffing, to increase the amount it heals and maybe double the experience?

:twisted: YoUr UnDeR ArReSt AnYtHiNg YoU SaY WiLl Be MiSqUoTeD AnD UsEd AgAiNsT YoU :twisted:

Pawan.png

I think your on to something here. Cooking is definately a skill of its own. Why else do you think so many players have 99? (I guess its also because its the easiest xp in the game :XD:) I think the cooking guild definately needs a makeover, and the skill itself could use some updates as well.

I agree completely. I remember when I first got 32 cooking and I was so excited. I went into the cooking guild and made maybe one or two pies. I got bored and I don't think I've ever been in there since :|

Exact same for me :D The only time I have gone into the cooking guild since I hit the required level was to get a chocolate bar for a quest!

Good work Dragnfly hope to see more articles from you soon.

Spam DEF: Any post, paragraph, or sentence that does not add to the value of the thread.

Big_Stingman is the bomb!

Good article.

Call the new skill "Baking"

Add the new guild, call it the "Baking guild" with the requirement of at least 45-50 in the skill to get in.

Add a new landscape feature called the cooking oven. (Can be part of some of the stoves/ranges, but not necessarily. Without proper equipment, you generally can't use a camp fire to bake.)

Add in an assortment of new dishes, cakes, pies, etc. Here are some ideas:

Low level:

Baked chicken

Peach, blueberry, cherry pies

Medium level:

Cheese cake

Peach, cherry, apple, blueberry cobblers

Pineapple upside down cake

Chicken pot-pie

High level:

Fudge

Torts

3-layer cakes (with icing)

Wedding cakes

I could do more. I like the idea.

- Sligo

mmmmm..... ::' desserts :thumbsup:

Nairb168.gif

Retired from runescape. I will be on every now and then though. :)

A baking skill? Crap idea. That'd be like making iron mining a seperate skill because so many people use it to powerlevel mining. Or maybe make a new skill for tin and copper mining because no one does that once they can do iron? Why should just the baked goods feel neglected? :roll:

untitled6kv7.gif

just imagine, members could use something like... blast range that wouldnot burn food...then thre's pizzas: i know what all people think of them - "... pizzas are bad food because they are eaten in 2 bites..." , i just think of the RS pizzas now: 2 toppings for F2P, and only 1 for P2P. The same Was for pies, but JaGEx changed that so, why cant they change pizzas as well? :)

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

I dunno, somehow the idea of yet another skill to lvl isnt all that appealing to me, especially cause u know with cooking its gonna be detailed and take forever. As for a baking skill, that just sounds off to me... I'm a pastry chef ... last thing I wanna do when I come home from work is have to bake :roll:

rssignature1a.jpg

i have 53 cooking but really really bad fishing. i cooked everything but fish 2 train but in retrospect all the backed things suck!!! this isnt fair! no1 buys chocolate cake becasuse of the 4 bites . . . sooo now i cant do anything! :cry: but if they make 'baking' or somthing then we have 2 train all over again! :?

I was vastly disappointed with the Gnome Delivery mini-game, or at least from what I had read. You can indeed get a gnomish mint randomly in the game, but that energy refresh is beneficial primarily for continuing the mini-game.

Back in the days of RSC, gnome cooking items restored small amounts of fatigue. This was to make agility a little more bearable since fatigue stacked with anything you did, but stacked faster than with use of any other skill. I was not a member when it was the only game, so I don't know if carrying a sleeping bag was a quick fix.

Energy restores and thieving boots from gnome cuisine and gnome cocktails respectively were removed because energy replaced fatigue, and the mechanics were vastly different; pickpocketing also changed considerably with an NPC 'stunning' you on a fail rather than initiating combat. With the Desert Month, Tai Bwo Wannai cleanup, and Gnome Delivery update, Bandit Brew, Gabooty, and Auft Gianne Jr. effectively put the last nail in the coffin of the old cocktails.

I suggested long ago that gnome cooking restore energy by no more than 5%. This would make cooking gnome dishes relevant again to low-level players especially, I am a bit surprised that Jagex did not consider it as a selling point for members, especially as I believe they are trying to get new customers from the outset, rather than players using the old practice of completing all or most f2p quests before a members subscription.

Such hopes of a suggestion were rather dashed by Gnome Delivery since it would disrupt the game balance of that mini-game. It would be far too easy for players to make a few additional orders to gobble on the way to extend energy. The mini-game would have to be tweaked a little bit to accomodate a return of such mechanics.

But I still think the original concept is worth restoring in a new game engine-- most new members consider training at the gnome course crushingly boring, and may not have the herblore level to make energy pots. With the addition of more shortcuts, there is a larger incentive to train agility faster.

The Grand Tree is mostly deserted save for players on their way to quests, cooks stopping to buy out the grocers of certain ingredients, and a few other things. The wave of players that came to play Gnome Delivery when it was first released are all but completely gone now. (The Shilo Village update that killed powerfishing at the Gnome Stronghold fishing spots is another story, and the nearby boatride to the The Piscatoris Fishing Colony doesn't take many passengers.)

I love making tuna taters-- It takes just a little longer than fishing and cooking sharks, but at cooking 75, I can make them with 100% success. But even with the addition of the Culinomancer's chest, I can never get enough butter and must churn some of it. Why Jagex has refrained from implementing a churn-x or even a churn 5, 10 (like the second or so silver crafting change), I'll never know. Churning is long and boring, and a churn-x would make no bigger a change than the 'make all' option added to steel bars.

Perhaps it was sligo who suggested it-- I don't remember-- but someone suggested that ingredient cooking be made into one step if all raw ingredients were in your inventory. It would be much like cakes are now (but chocolate dust or a chocolate bar would simply be added to the mix here). Potatoes would still be more complicated as the potatoes and topping must be cooked separately, but the time would be sped up significantly.

Jagex tried to make ingredient cooking more appealing by boosting the XP gains in making those items, compared directly to fished items of respective similar levels. It appears this has relatively failed, and the pie update was the only update that was at least marginally successful in addressing the problem. The potato toppings update did effectively nothing as all potato toppings were largely spurned save sweetcorn and tuna (and oddly I have an easier time making tuna taters than mushroom and onion), and still PKers prefer sharks because high leveler players can get them faster (what a paradox).

Separating out ingredient cooking into a separate skill is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure we can realistically hope Jagex will implement it.

Might the cooking skill would be more important if it would be involved with other skills..

Like you first need to cook your herbs for a special potion!

Make it easier to cook pizzas or pies!

Expand the cooking guide!

Buy there several ingrediÃÆÃâÃâënts.

But you shouldn't blame jagex for this problem.

They are working hard to create new things for runescape.

I must say I disagree strongly cooking is fine as it is. You shouldnt remake a skill just because you dislike the idea of people doing the same thing.

I compltly agree. Why should they make them seperate? However i do think they should raise the lvl to get into cooking guild slightly and add more things to it.

Matthew T-D

Whip drops: 9

Abyssal head drops: 3

Making a separate "fish cooking" skill is not oing to happen. Stat enhancing food is very simular to stat enhancing potions. There really needs to be something else that you can benefit from cooking. Raising the xp by a couple of 10s for food isn't going to do much. I myself have made some wild pies and let me tell you it isn't worth the trouble getting the ingredients for just for 240xp. Just cooking a raw shark gives an easy 210 cooking xp.

Anywho, I'm proud of my 91 cooking, I had to cook 10k sharks from lvl 86 to lvl 90 cooking, although that was easy, catching the 10k sharks took forever. :D

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Fantastic article! I really mean that, I genuinely enjoyed reading it. Lately, for me personally, articles have been lacking something although pinpointing exactly what this is, has proved difficult. I don't think I've really enjoyed an article since late July/early August but this week's really 'hit the spot'.

Perhaps this can be attributed to a number of things:

1: It wasn't an article about the editor's personal feelings, it affects everyone/a lot of people.

2: The article was on a topic that I agree with.

3: There were some nice ideas thrown into the mix at the end about how to overcome this problem.

4: I found out a little more about the game before I played it. For example, the release date of fishing, the fact that banks didn't exist for almost an entire year! I find this sort of thing fascinating. That's probably what 'made' the article for me.

In summary, again, a great article! This is one type of article I wouldn't mind seeing crop up every so often.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

I found out a little more about the game before I played it. For example, the release date of fishing, the fact that banks didn't exist for almost an entire year! I find this sort of thing fascinating. That's probably what 'made' the article for me.

In summary, again, a great article! This is one type of article I wouldn't mind seeing crop up every so often.

~Ian

Yup, i agree with that, finding out about the "playing history" is fascinating for me too considering i joined around April 2004 so i feel i may have missed a very large proportion of important facts like the one about the bank.

As for the cooking guild? Yes update it, expand it, add an extra members section (that way f2p can still use at lvl 32), but do not split the skill....it will devalue the cooking i think. Then again, at my cooking level i dont think i will be too bothered.

Baking? Isn't that a retrograde step? It's ok to find out how things were done in the past but thats it, it's in the past surely thats why they were "improved" to today's standards.

One last thing, was this changed so that even if you can still play RSC you still can't do all that?

Dracofragger.png

first drag drop (skirt) 21/08/06, second (spear) 29/09/07

:roll: OH WAAA.... I read your article, and if I get you correctly then you want two seperate skills, right? I dont see how this could help people. I actually LIKE fishing, and it gives way better exp than pretty much all the foods you can "bake." I dont see the advantage of having two different cooking skills you have to level. :shame: It's ok to feel nostalgic about the good old days (like RSC) but it simply has no place on a serious suggestion board... The only way you could possibly change my mind is to let people get 20 hp healed from eating one of these baked goods, but it would still make powerleveling a pain in the butt. Make the baked stuff heal up to 30 exp and you have yourself a concept worth the time it takes to program it.

runscapecv2.png

The rune merching business is dead. R.I.P