television ads. getting annoying?

admiral_5

I dislike advertising after reading about the psychological principles behind it. Adverts aren't about giving product information so that you can make an informed choice about buying it, they're about spamming a brand in every way possible to make you familiar with it. And what is a brand? It's up to about 3 buzzwords, like "sophisticated, intelligent, modern" etc. because we're all so stupid that we can only remember 3 words about each product.

Even if you think that adverts don't affect you (which most people do), they will bias you still.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

I love the Beer ads which are shown during the footy over here in Australia. They always crack me up laughing when I see them especially the Carlton Draught ads.

But ads especially during daytime tv and late at night are the worst when the cost is cheaper to put them on tv, and they are so boring to watch.

One thing:

"Head on, apply directly to the forehead!"

I don't get it, where do you put it on?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

They made TV advertising time too cheap, so now there are so many junk ads that you make a concious effort to give them no attention whatsover.

If I was in carge of a major brand, I'd be asking the TV companies to double the price and halve the ad time, so my ads wouldn't be swamped by the junk.

One thing:

I think they're spending so much money on advertising to sell this crap that they'll probably only break even selling the crap. :lol: I've literally seen this commercial on EVERY channel at least once. Except Nickalodeon, I think. Rofl.

I just hope this marketing strategy doesn't catch on...They're depending on human curiousity...They don't tell you what it does or anything, they just say BUY IT NOW, IT WORKS. Human curiousity + annoying phrase over and over almost makes me want to buy it, but I know what it's for and that it doesn't work, so I don't. If I didn't know, and I saw the stuff in the store, I'm 100% sure I'd at least LOOK at it to see what it was for.

Bastards. :(

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

I hate the commercials where they directly say that their competetors are worse than them. Take the Mac ads for example.

"I'm a Mac"

"And I'm a PC"

"You suck, PC."

Head-on doesn't really work. I tried it about 50 times, and none of the times did it work.

Anyone who is informed knows very well that PC owns Mac. They're not even just taking a shot at one corperation, either...They're taking a shot at many. Many companies make PC's, but for some reason I feel like it's a direct shot at Microsoft. *shrug*

Mac = can't do a lot of stuff PC's come with out-of-the-box. Can't play your favourite games, for example. What CAN you do on a Mac, anyways? Aren't they good for like...Artsy stuff? And music? Multi-media, you know. And that's it? All for the same price of my PC that does that and 100 times more? No thanks, yo. And Mac's crash just as much as PC's, just differently. I had one when I was younger. :lol:

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Head-on doesn't really work. I tried it about 50 times, and none of the times did it work.

The point is you tried it. They don't care if it works, so long as people use it.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

The only commercial that really irks me-Cellflirt. For $0.50 a message you can have interactive text messaging with "hot girls" on your cellphone. So it's like having phone sex except you read it. Pathetic in a desperate sort of way.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

you want annoying ads? you need a called Barry Scott yelling at you telling you that you should simply spray on dirt and "BANG! THE DIRT IS GONE" oh and he also seems to be really badly dubbed... either that or his lips moves slower than the rest of his face.

but anyway ads are real annoying but at least they cover some cost for t.v

I hate all ads, but I have nothing against charity and such.

some charity ads are actually scams

so yah i hate em. too many people are obsessed with money these days :-k

Charity ads on TV are never scams. Most scammers don't have that kind of resource. Most of them just spam your E-mail.

Watch PBS then....

"The lion stalks his prey."

... then again.

I don't suppose you've ever seen NOVA? If I got clear PBS reception (and watched TV anymore) I'd be hooked ;)

Well yeah Nova is cool, but everything else... not really, entertainment is commercial.

Like forum text games much?

um... from... MARS, yes, in the third county from the... left.

PmodAuto.jpg

One thing:

Lol, as soon as I saw this topic this ad popped into my head. They have a new one which is just as annoying where real people say "Head on, apply directly to the forehead, Head on, apply directly to the forehead, what an annoying commercial but WHAT A GREAT PRODUCT" God I hate it. And im starting to get tired of the Monday Night Football Commercials, I have nothing wrong with MNF, but their commercials are too annoying and on too much.

122 Combat : 99 Hits : 99 Attack : 99 Strength

97/99 Defence : 99 Fletching : 99 Woodcutting

ProActiv commercials especially. Those are the worst. Every celebrity endorsment they have is from a celebrity that has never even used the product EXCEPT for Sean "P. Diddy" Combs. He actually uses it. All the other celebrities have used Accutane, which is like the "cure" for pimples. It should be illegal for them to flat-out lie like that, but whatever.

ProActiv does work though, unlike all of the other crap that's advertised like Clearasil.

Why don't they advertise at shops, if i wanted to sell somthing i would do it their, its not like you see a coke ad on Tv and go to the shops just to get one lol.

if its at the shops people would want one and go get it :lol:

JfvHV.png

798M9.png

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

My new site. [bETA]

^ Where's skelm when you need him?
At work or at poker, or "having a shower" or sleeping. I'll bug him to reply :P

And now, Mac and run windows, so - why wouldn't you get one?

ProActiv commercials especially. Those are the worst. Every celebrity endorsment they have is from a celebrity that has never even used the product EXCEPT for Sean "P. Diddy" Combs. He actually uses it. All the other celebrities have used Accutane, which is like the "cure" for pimples. It should be illegal for them to flat-out lie like that, but whatever.

ProActiv does work though, unlike all of the other crap that's advertised like Clearasil.

No it doesn't.

Clearasil's active ingredients and ProActiv's active ingredients are the EXACT same. Benzoyl Peroxide and Salacyclic Acid. I believe there is another one like ProActiv called "Murad" and it uses Glycolic acid aswell, which would make me think it would be more effective, but I don't know.

Benzoyl Peroxide - Kills p. Acne bacterias, I believe by oxygenation of the skin. p. Acne's are killed on contact with oxygen.

Salacyclic Acid - Helps remove skin cells faster.

Glycolic Acid - Can remove skin very fast in high concentrations (30%+) or just help remove it slower over time (12% is normal there). Also prevents dead skin cells and Sebacious oils from clumping together and clogging your pores.

I know a lot about skin. :P I was thinking about being a dermatologist, lol.

- Me!

Amen to that! ::'

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.