��â�š���£25 per day to drive an SUV in London

Necromagus

The Mayor of London is introducing a ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã25 (about 40 dollars/euros) daily charge to drive a 4x4 in Central London. Even if you live there, you will not be exempt.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/congestion/st ... 57,00.html

Personally, I think this is fantastic. SUVs have no business being on the road in a city like London. They guzzle gas, are an enviromental nightmare, are extremely unsafe to be on the outside of and are capable of creating traffic jams just by turning on their turn signal.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the cost will apply to the hybrid 4x4s?

As it stands there is a charge for driving in London anyway (ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã8 daily I think) and it doesn't apply to hybrid cars such as the Toyota Prius.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

They shouldn't be in a city like London anyways. They barely fit on American roads, how can they fit in those tiny old roads?!

Now, if they could only do the same thing here in the States. I hate first of all, having giant SUV headlights at eye level in my Sedan, which makes night driving a pain. Also, getting nearly rammed by a soccer mom every two seconds, etc.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

They barely fit on American roads, how can they fit in those tiny old roads?!

I'm pretty certain american 'SUVs' are bigger than European ones. Just about every american car I've set eyes on in person has been bigger than European cars.

They barely fit on American roads, how can they fit in those tiny old roads?!

I'm pretty certain american 'SUVs' are bigger than European ones. Just about every american car I've set eyes on in person has been bigger than European cars.

Yep, it's true. Although I have to agree with what Bari said about having headlights in your eyes, it's a pain. I'm pretty sure SUVs are my pet peeve.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Ah, I thought maybe the Euro SUV's from Land Rover, Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagon, etc would be mentioned. Even by American standards those things are huge.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I live just outside the congestion charging zone, my dad has to pay every time he goes to work. He should use oyster card and get public transport, but it's so damn unreliable, especially because he has to get the northern line and there's almost ALWAYS a delay on that line.

I do think that big vehicles should be charged more than cars, there's enough traffic in London without those van things. I just think it's a pain to charge people driving to work everyday so much just to go and earn a living.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

I'm pretty sure SUVs are my pet peeve.

Mine too. Alongside tailgaters and ditzy women drivers.

I just think it's a pain to charge people driving to work everyday so much just to go and earn a living.

People who commute into London because they already can't afford to live there.

Why don't people use public transportation instead of cars in downtown anyway?

Because some people are either lazy or think public transportation is 'weird'. In my opinion, unless you are in a real emergency situation, there is no point in using a car in metropolitan areas of huge cities like London when public transportation caters almost every place so well.

You wouldn't believe the outrage in the US if they made a similar restriction. Within minutes people would be screaming 'nazis' and 'you take away our freedoms'. Who needs a SUV anyways? It's a SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE.

When was the last time you transported sports utilities in a SUV and bought the car just because your earlier 'utilities' couldn't fit in your old car? I just hate pompous jargon like 'SUV'. Just call it 'gas and emission monster' (GEM).

People will still use it because it sounds like jewelry, which is just as pompous. The average american SUV driver is at least 40 pounds overweight and his only sport utility is the remote controller, no offense meant.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic Apinagez, but there are a multitude of reason why not:

Lots of people who work in London, higher ups anyway, have a status issue with public transport.

Public transport is invariably more constricting than private transport, in terms of where you travel to and when you travel.

Comfort.

And a quick look on Wikipedia about the Hybrid car fees:

In the case of Hybrid vehicles, the registration fee exceeds the congestion charge for occasional visitors and requires considerable supporting documentation which is not included when the car is purchased.
manipofsarahs1gg5.png

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,

Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down

It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,

Sixty five tons of American pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,

Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams

She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' drivin' machine

Canyonero! Canyonero!

A cookie if you can name the series, two if you can name the episode :P

I don't know if you are being sarcastic Apinagez,

No I'm not.

but there are a multitude of reason why not:

Lots of people who work in London, higher ups anyway, have a status issue with public transport.

I suppose higher ends can afford both the toll for SUVs and for normal vehicles.

Public transport is invariably more constricting than private transport, in terms of where you travel to and when you travel.

I know. That's why I support the use of cars and even of SUVs, outside city centers.

Comfort.

There are certain things we must priorize over others.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

A cookie if you can name the series, two if you can name the episode :P

The Simpsons, all I can remember is Jay Leno was in the episode.

SUV's are a real inconvenience to me. I drive a Saturn. It's nearly impossible to pull into a parking spot at the mall because I can't see if theres a freakin car in the spot because some big honkin SUV is blocking the view of 20 cars next to it. -.- No collisions yet \'

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.

Why don't people use public transportation instead of cars in downtown anyway?

Because some people are either lazy or think public transportation is 'weird'. In my opinion, unless you are in a real emergency situation, there is no point in using a car in metropolitan areas of huge cities like London when public transportation caters almost every place so well.

You wouldn't believe the outrage in the US if they made a similar restriction. Within minutes people would be screaming 'nazis' and 'you take away our freedoms'. Who needs a SUV anyways? It's a SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE.

When was the last time you transported sports utilities in a SUV and bought the car just because your earlier 'utilities' couldn't fit in your old car? I just hate pompous jargon like 'SUV'. Just call it 'gas and emission monster' (GEM).

People will still use it because it sounds like jewelry, which is just as pompous. The average american SUV driver is at least 40 pounds overweight and his only sport utility is the remote controller, no offense meant.

The public transport in London is alright, but the number of delays and hold ups, and the sheer number of people in rush hour is enough to put anyone off. Being packed into the tube like sardines, it's boiling, and some people just don't know how to wash so the smell sometimes is just sickening. And then having to sit in that train for 30 minutes without it moving because of signal delays or whatever. Just UGH!

Also the standard price for a travelcard, all zones, in London before 9:30am is ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã11.50, I'm not entirely sure of the pence. Obviously now we have oyster card which indeed saves money, but for me, I consider it more hassle than just buying a ticket before I travel.

Don't get me wrong I use public transport on a daily basis, but in terms of rush hour, I would much prefer to drive then go through the underground.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

Firstly, I think the public transport facilities (excluding possibly hygiene...) are very good.

And secondly... Wow, great news!!! I hope this will turn out the same for all 4x4s.

Excellent. I dont give a flying wippy about the enviroment because scientists are still undecided. The charge needed to be implemented due to their horribly ugly exteriors and socially outkast drivers.

And no lol why do you always want to get stuff from John Lewis. Its over ̣̉300 more then than what i paid.

John Lewis is a great, great shop.

Guest XplsvBam

This is slightly stupid. I think its a wonderful law, but a stupid one. Why punish stupid people? Rather encourage smart people to be smart. Like tax breaks or insurance breaks on driving an economic vehicle. Makes sence, you are trying to be economical so why net get some bonuses for it.

Personally, the only hate I have in regards to 4x4 owners are towards those that NEVER use it for what it's designed for. If people stopped buying 4x4 to "haul their kids around" it wouldn't be such a problem.

I guess I am with the minority on this one who think this law is bad. I've never driven a SUV, and I probably never will because I don't see the point to them. But it was my choice to not use them, not the governments. Big vehicles have their uses too. There are many times when you need a big truck. Have you ever tried to put 600lbs of concrete mix in the trunk of your coupe? Try putting 14ft long pieces of 2x4s in your small car. Try pulling a trailer with two professional lawn mowers on it that weight 1000lbs each. Big vehicles have their uses.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I drive an SUV :oops:

If you don't mind me asking (and no offence, I'm just asking, and please answer 100% honestly) why did you choose an SUV over any other car?

I drive an SUV :oops:

If you don't mind me asking (and no offence, I'm just asking, and please answer 100% honestly) why did you choose an SUV over any other car?

We go hunting/fishing upstate a lot and need something to haul the 5th wheel. I drive it to school and work otherwise though.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona