What's with the pixel craze?

Terry

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something different about them, they seem so very detailed and rs like, if people like rs they are bound to like the graphics so if they liked rs1, they will like detailed pixle sigs. They are a new trend and people got sick of all the abstract sigs that were going around and they wanted to get their money worth, so they figure if they get people to work hard on their sig it will be one of a kind and no one can take that sig away from them.

Many different reasons, to tired to list anymore lol.

Jlr

possiblenewsig1.jpg

There is something different about them, they seem so very detailed and rs like, if people like rs they are bound to like the graphics so if they liked rs1, they will like detailed pixle sigs. They are a new trend and people got sick of all the abstract sigs that were going around and they wanted to get their money worth, so they figure if they get people to work hard on their sig it will be one of a kind and no one can take that sig away from them.

Many different reasons, to tired to list anymore lol.

Jlr

i so agree Terry, whats the big deal, and abstract sigs still have hard worked put into them.

Well, think of it this way...

Before the pixel craze came on...

Why did everyone like Abstracts so much? eh?

It's just what everyone wantsw at the time... Some guys buy pixel art cause it's one of the only ways to incorporate rs scenes and characters within your sig. Some guys buy pixel art cause it looks detailed and/or neat. Some guys buy it cause others buy it. Some guys buy it cause they like it, but don't know why ;)

Answer this question please: Why did everyone like abstracts?

Cause they looked cool? It's all the same thing, just a new craze, and soon, it'll move off eventually and change to landscapes or something...

good point, but come on, landscapes!? wow. open up terragen, edit some surface maps, paint randomly for some nice textures, and you have a landscape sig in 3 minutes.

im not saying I dont like pixel sigs...im just wondering why they caught on. but as I said...there are other ways of having a detailed picture of your character in your sig.

good point, but come on, landscapes!? wow. open up terragen, edit some surface maps, paint randomly for some nice textures, and you have a landscape sig in 3 minutes.

im not saying I dont like pixel sigs...im just wondering why they caught on. but as I said...there are other ways of having a detailed picture of your character in your sig.

I didn't mean that landscapes will be the next craze... I was just using it as an example. But, some landscapes arn't bad though :D

I dunno i personally hate them its just the not straight lines it just hurts my eyes (no offence to people that make them) i still would rather an abstact sig or landscape im not to into runescape either i just use this forum to improve my graphics skills and i don't see much in pixel

As someone who has done both pixel and abstract sigs, I can say, as an artist, that pixel signatures are a lot more rewarding.

Sorry, rendering anything in any program is easy. Editing in Photoshop is also very easy if you have any semblance of taste.

It's clickety click boom bam done. I made awesome sigs in 10 minutes with 3dsm, Bryce and PS.

Pixelling takes hours. And it's all done by me. No "render" button, no touchups in photoshop...it's all my own work.

Some people can appreciate art, and understand the effort that goes into it.

Then there are the bitter people who can't.

*shrug*

They are a new trend

New trend? Heh, no way, 'trends' don't hang around this long..

I personally dont really like pixel sigs, with some exceptions though ;)

This discussion has been discussed quite some times now..

I dont really mind it if I can still make cash with my sigs when I want to ;)

tipitsigte0.png

Tell me whats so cool about abstract then.. dont they all look the same aswell? color schemes etc. etc. and grunge moste of the time same story, brushed? brushd is cool this should be the next trend.

but the thing with pixel is that they incorporate rs characters, and screenshots in sigs just look really bad.

and not all pixel look the same, there lots of different styles for example if shaw,MxM and TeeJay made the same pixel request with all the same ideaswill it look the same? no it wont it would look all different with all the different styles

signature_1.gif

#1 - Yes, trends last a hella long time if there are enough [bleep] for them.

#2 - Don't say anything about abstract when you've only seen modifier [bleep]. Try to find somebody who knows what their abstract piece is going to look like BEFORE they start modeling.

#3 - Pixel sigs fit well here, i'll agree, but sometime later on people will be so sick of the thinks they'll want to shoot the people who have them.

Oooh chance to make a long post.

I am going to begin by explaing why I like them...

1. They are runescapy without actually being a runescape screenshot. It allows the person to have exactly the right scene that they want. There is huge scope for imagination here.

2. They show high skill. Anyone can pop open PS, Bryce or Terragen and make a sig in 10 mins. I know because I have these programs, ive made some really quality images and landscapes in minutes. Now those sigs are cool too but they dont really show any real talent. With a good pixel sig you know that hours of work has been put into it.

3. Personalisation. With the exception of a few pixel artists each one is unique. With an abstract sig you can explain what you want to some1 and they create it. Somebody else might make a similar one but you can tell they are from the same idea. With personal pixel sigs you see the true persons style in each one. Just look at peoples sig compos at what people post. The variety of styles is spectacular to see.

Its unfortunate that the greed of people has resorted to mass producing low quality work in order to cope with the demand of the users. Im sorry Ran_Shadow2 but i have to say your name here. At first your sigs were really good, fresh and original, but you have overused that characterone to many times and now i really dont like looking at ure sigs now :(

Some people buy pixel sigs because they think they look cool and for the resons i stated, however some people buy pixel sigs to "get in the croud"

If anybody saw Nik's post about conforming to groups in Off Topic a while back you'd know what i mean.

Even though the skill involved with making these is incredibly high for the most of the time I still think its a fad. Just like with the sigs Froth Khan made and those smilie sigs a while back, the same happened when everyone decided Bryce was cool. After a while EVERYONE will have one, then people will get bored, wont pay the prices for them and move on.

Its sad really because there is some amazing artwork here, by selling so many as they are they are killing off the long term demand.

mmm lots of rants here. I did have an essay planned but i kinda forgot what i was gonna say. so i will conclude with a few of my favourite up coming sig makers (you all know who the best ones are so i really dont need to mention them)

Godslayer

arangerfordragdonerobin.png

archer.png

Characters look amazing! Could do with some background work tho, keep it up

smellysocks

beforeresize6.png

New.png

Another unique style. Try not to rush and keep work as good quality as this and u will go far.

Meh enuf typing for the moment, if ya got and questions to ask me just post ;)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

ok, so the general reasoning is:

1) You can have runescape-ish scenes

2) They take a long time to make

ok,..well, what if you were to draw/paint them in photoshop, in a non-pixely manner? then it would meet both requirements, would it not?

photoshop can be used skillfully, and take longer than 10 minutes to create something. its the projects that take more like 10 hours that are really nice.

ok, so the general reasoning is:

1) You can have runescape-ish scenes

2) They take a long time to make

ok,..well, what if you were to draw/paint them in photoshop, in a non-pixely manner? then it would meet both requirements, would it not?

photoshop can be used skillfully, and take longer than 10 minutes to create something. its the projects that take more like 10 hours that are really nice.

exactly, 10 hours, or 10 days