If you were given a $1000 to make a difference...

Viktorkrum77

For those who have seen this idea on Oprah, or the question on Yahoo Answers, it's basically the same thing.

If you were given a $1000 (roughly ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã510, ÃÆââââ¬Ã¡Ãâì750, $1,130 CAN, $885 AUS), to use somehow to make a difference in someone else's life. how would you spend the money? Explain your plan, would you give it to several, an organization, or to a single person suffering, etc.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe charity is nonsense. Therefore, I'd either use it for myself, or - if I really weren't needing anything - I'd use it for something that could actually help the needy.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

I'd be seriously wondering how and when the Australian Dollar went over US$1.00.

And to be honest? $1,000 for me won't make any sort of difference I'd care about. That would come from governments getting their act together and helping their people help themselves rather than relying on foreign aid.

And US$1,000 wouldn't exactly bring about regime changes where they're needed most.

I'd probably put it away for sometime later in my future, like for a college fund or a decent car.

If I didn't have the option to save it, I would attempt a "make a wish" type thing and use it all on an under-priveledged [sP, I know] kid a day or two he'd remember forever.

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï(ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú_o)/ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï

doomdeathyz5.gif

The point is to help others. Not yourself, that's selfishness, unless you are seriously poor, and in that case, you wouldn't be here right now on this forum.

That's the thing. I wouldn't

US$1,000 is, to me, insufficient to make a difference I'd care about. Besides, I'm more for letting people take care of themselves than just handing out aid. Better that you gave me several hundred million dollars, then I could let it go to some structural changes in some horribly corrupt governments and by extension, let the lesser people help themselves.

The point is to help others. Not yourself, that's selfishness, unless you are seriously poor, and in that case, you wouldn't be here right now on this forum.

That's the thing. I wouldn't

US$1,000 is, to me, insufficient to make a difference I'd care about. Besides, I'm more for letting people take care of themselves than just handing out aid. Better that you gave me several hundred million dollars, then I could let it go to some structural changes in some horribly corrupt governments and by extension, let the lesser people help themselves.

What if the person had no control over the event? And is struggling now to make it, even though they were once fine, but after something they had no control over happened, they are left without smack. That's just one example.

I see most people on here don't like to see smiles on other peoples face's besides there own from time to time. Or feel gratitude.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

What if the person had no control over the event? And is struggling now to make it, even though they were once fine, but after something they had no control over happened, they are left without smack. That's just one example.

I see most people on here don't like to see smiles on other peoples face's besides there own from time to time. Or feel gratitude.

Like I said, small changes. Unless the person's going to be the next Lenin, I don't see an economic reason for throwing the money their way.

Now, if you were kicking out a corrupt government so that an entire society can have the prospect of prosperous lives free of oppression, then yeah, go for it.

Like I said, small changes. Unless the person's going to be the next Lenin, I don't see an economic reason for throwing the money their way.

Now, if you were kicking out a corrupt government so that an entire society can have the prospect of prosperous lives free of oppression, then yeah, go for it.

That's right, let the children suffer too, because they starved to death, because the person is trying so hard with 2 jobs and can't be home. Etc.

I don't see you being the next Lenin either. $1000 will do nothing but pay off a few college classes.

I would normally agree with you, but since the money isn't yours to begin with, I see no problem with helping another in need.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Split it into 5 target gift cards and give it to a homeless person on the condition that they save their money for rent in an apartment or housing. They can then use the card to get cleaning supplies, blankets, and food.

Yes, there are prefurnished apartments out there.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

i would use it on myself or someone who works for their own college education

the only money that should be given to the homeless or the poor should be money to help them raise their position in society, not help them stall and stay at that position. giving money to the homeless does nothing for them in the long run, and the money should be spent on something that you know will make a difference

I'd be seriously wondering how and when the Australian Dollar went over US$1.00.

And to be honest? $1,000 for me won't make any sort of difference I'd care about. That would come from governments getting their act together and helping their people help themselves rather than relying on foreign aid.

And US$1,000 wouldn't exactly bring about regime changes where they're needed most.

$1000 is, what, four, six AK-47s?

There's no way you could help anyone change governments with just that.

Now, say, a couple million, that might do some good.

Guest GhostRanger

I would give it to my church that is already 10 million dollars in debt and is about to open 3 free health clinics in our region.

That's right, let the children suffer too, because they starved to death, because the person is trying so hard with 2 jobs and can't be home. Etc.

I don't see you being the next Lenin either. $1000 will do nothing but pay off a few college classes.

I would normally agree with you, but since the money isn't yours to begin with, I see no problem with helping another in need.

$1000 can't really help poor children. Let's say they spend $3.33 on food everyday, yes odd number and weird small food costs. It's enough to buy 300 days worth of food for one child.

Let's face it, $1000 isn't much to help anyone. An average person makes $1000 in about half a month or less.

Take that $1000, invest it in the stock market. Then if you play your cards right, you can give them more then $1000. Maybe buy them a boat or something. :P

Read the beginning please. It's help SOMEONE ELSE, not YOURSELF.

I would give it to my church that is already 10 million dollars in debt and is about to open 3 free health clinics in our region.

...What the hell... Maybe they should pay back their debt before opening more locations.