Relative Prices of Various Things

bedman

Lately i've been doing a lot of barrows (I like it!) and, when selling my drops, i came to wonder:

Why is a guthan's helm worth more than a guthan plate? A plate is quite a bit more useful than the helm imo...

Or: Why is a Veracs Brassard worth more than a guthan plate? The guthan set is way more expensive as a total set AND provides beter defence (guthan body <-> veracs brassard).

And then i came - of course - to rares. Why is a blue phat worth more than a red phat. Because people like the collers? Well tell me then why a red mask is more expensive than a blue one...

I'm sure there are other "unlogic" prices out there, so what do you think about it?!

Did I forget a something (that explains the price differences), is it totally random, ... ?

Discuss!!!

Doesn't it all come down to supply and demand in the end?

I mean look at it. There aren't that many party hats, so the supply is low. Huge amounts of people want them, so the demand is high. High demand + low supply = prices go up. Simple economics.

And I think the red one costs more because it makes you look like something straight outta hell, which is pretty sick.

sorry bros i'm not mexican

Lately i've been doing a lot of barrows (I like it!) and, when selling my drops, i came to wonder:

Why is a guthan's helm worth more than a guthan plate? A plate is quite a bit more useful than the helm imo...

Or: Why is a Veracs Brassard worth more than a guthan plate? The guthan set is way more expensive as a total set AND provides beter defence (guthan body <-> veracs brassard).

And then i came - of course - to rares. Why is a blue phat worth more than a red phat. Because people like the collers? Well tell me then why a red mask is more expensive than a blue one...

I'm sure there are other "unlogic" prices out there, so what do you think about it?!

Did I forget a something (a special reason why), is it totally random, ... ?

Discuss!!!

well i can anwser most of your question's (if they are?)

well the guthan helm is worth more becuase if you have the full set on when you die (not be skulled of course) you'll lose the helm that's why its more in demand thus cost's more

as for the brassy well a lot buy them to replace the full dragon look if they can't afford the chain but can buy the legs and other's (best looking body in game for most people)

and a blue p-hat well i can't anwser that one because i don't know much about the p hat world i think because its the rarest??

and the mask well because red's are more in demand ?? (can't answer that one as well :( )

i hoped it helped well, good bye

please if you have the time add twinsen345 for a chat i always love to talk

The reason barrows helms tend to cost more is because when people die (and people die at KQ with veracs a lot, and with guthans a lot elsewhere), they loose the helm. Less helms mean more expensive helms. And since helms are just as rare as platebodies at barrows, the helms will surpass the value of the plates, legs, and other pieces.

Doesn't it all come down to supply and demand in the end?

I mean look at it. There aren't that many party hats, so the supply is low. Huge amounts of people want them, so the demand is high. High demand + low supply = prices go up. Simple economics.

And I think the red one costs more because it makes you look like something straight outta hell, which is pretty sick.

Somehow it must be linked to that yes.

But i know rares are expensive because there is no supply, yet more and more people playing the game. Thats quite basic :D

I meant relative prices.

Thanks for the answers holylord and peronix. This explains the barrows things for the most, but still, I rest my case there are some "inexplainable" prices out there :-)

EDIT: just tought about it, why is a guthan spear more expensive than the helm? Doesn't it protect over helm? And if it doesn't and thats the reason why spear is so expensive, then why is veracs flail so cheap?

I will venture a guess on the spear:

When people train with Guthans, they always carry rune plate, legs and a whip. I think the whip or plate protects over the spear.

Verac's brassard costs more because it looks awsome.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Actually, when you die with full guthan, you lose the spear. And when you die with Veracs, you lose the helm. I've never tried any other barrows sets because their abilities haven't been worth it to me yet

Veracs Brassard is the next most expensive Verac piece because you die with that next. Then flail is the cheapest you almost always keep it

My theory about the guthan spear being the most expensive was; because it is a weapon, mostly that's rarer/harder to get then the armour. I don't know why I assumed that, I never really questioned it =P.

I don't know why the blue phat is the most expensive, maybe some people like the other colours better and they only wanted one wasted bank space and they couldn't wear two at the same time, so they dropped the purple/blue one's.

The purple one was the most expensive for a long time, till the dupe, that's why they're the least expensive now. (Those last line is the only thing I'm sure about)

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

My theory about the guthan spear being the most expensive was; because it is a weapon, mostly that's rarer/harder to get then the armour. I don't know why I assumed that, I never really questioned it =P.

I don't know why the blue phat is the most expensive, maybe some people like the other colours better and they only wanted one wasted bank space and they couldn't wear two at the same time, so they dropped the purple/blue one's.

The purple one was the most expensive for a long time, till the dupe, that's why they're the least expensive now. (Those last line is the only thing I'm sure about)

Then why arent blue masks the most expensive?

About the dupe: true

And why is veracs flail, which is also a weapon, NOT expensive

:P

If you wear Guthan's Set only and nothing else, when you die, you lose the Spear (hence why the 4.5m cost).

If you were to pick up a c bow after you die and die again, you will lose the Helm (hence why its 2.2m cost)

If you were to die Dharok's Set, you lose the Weapon first, then the helm.

If you were to die with Verac's Set, you lose the helm first, then the Brassard (i believe, either that or the flail).

Dont know about other sets.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

supply and demand, rareity.

Thanks, that was a very contributing reply.

By the way, if someone is wondering about some other "strange" prices, post them here. Maybe some people can explain why ... or not :D

The people saying "Supply and demand" or "There is no supply for rares" have probably never taken a Microeconomics course in their lives.

There is a supply, it's just perfectly inelastic, which means that no matter the price paid, a greater quantity cannot be produced. A greater quantity will be sold, yes, but more will not be produced.

Example: Dragon chainbody. If the price raises on them, more people will be willing and able to go to the KQ to get D chains, which will raise the supply for them and will, in turn, lower the price to a new equilibrium.

As for the colors of Partyhats; In the dupe, Blue was the least duped, followed by white, red, green, yellow, and purple, which explains the order of prices.

For masks it was simply a color preference of a group of people that decided to buy lots of red masks which raised the price for anyone else wishing to buy and that price has stuck. Somewhere in Runescape is a few accounts with many, many, many red masks.

Barrows pieces have been explained. For the Torag guy, Torag armor is a fair price since it provides an incredible defense bonus, even though other Barrows armor is the same, Torag is preferred over them since it's still cheaper or, in the case of Veracs Skirt, not a girly skirt.

Pumpkins, Disks, and Easters are less than all other rares because they are unwearable and thus unshowoffable.

Nooby question: What is the Party Hat dupe that is being talked about?

Its not a nooby question, i was about to ask...lol :anxious:

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

at 1 point i believe there was a period where p pots actually costed MORE than Super restore pots, where the latter is better and harder to make/

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I can't tell you why the armor pieces cost more, even though some of the past posts are probably right, but I can answer the p hat problem.

On the infamous dupe day, party hats were the most profitable thing to dupe. So, naturally, people duped the one worth the most (purple at the time) a LOT more than they duped the one worth the least (blue at the time). Therefore, a lot less blue party hats were put into the game, therefore raising the prices. Then, party hats being alched and dropped has taken its toll over the many years, raising it to the outrageous prices they are today.

well i can anwser most of your question's (if they are?)

well the guthan helm is worth more becuase if you have the full set on when you die (not be skulled of course) you'll lose the helm that's why its more in demand thus cost's more

When i lost connect and died at dks, i lost spear not helm

Fire cape - 10th attempt - 28/10/06

94 Magic Achieved December 26th 2006|99 Magic Achieved January 20th 2007

illidan+98.png

Jack and Jill went up the hill

Nooby question: What is the Party Hat dupe that is being talked about?

Its not a nooby question, i was about to ask...lol :anxious:

It wasn't really a dupe. Back in RSC there was a program that was used to macro. Some guy was trying to trade untrabable items, when he got one of the item id's wrong ( all the items in runescape is given a unique id ) which was inturn for some item he did not have, he realised he could create items. Eventually he told his friend and his friend told people and etc etc.

My story is probably missing minor details, but none of which change the course of the story.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada