10 Ways to Stop Racism

lawrencekill

I have to do this project involving 10 ways to stop racism along with a picture to go along with it. I just need ideas, pictures are nice but I think I can draw a decent one by myself.

I got...

1. Laws against racism(unclear idea)

2. school diversity

3. Afirmative action

4. help people understand racism

I just put w/e I could think of up there.

Arg... Can't think of more my brain is melting, and it's too early.

Please don't think of something that's very complex to draw, as my art skills are lacking.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of those 4 have been tried, and racism still exists. The only perfect way is to give children strong anti-racist messages by especially their own parents, not teachers, since age 1, not when they're already 14 years old.

And of course, if you have a bit of brain yourself, you'll see how pointless and dumb racism is. There can be no justification for it.

racism will exist because people are reminded of it.

im not saying that its unimportant to learn history, but you obviously read and learn about racism and taking action against it.

but if you never knew about racism, as a young person (5 yrs old or so) in todays society, you would grow up having no racist feelings except for the fact that you wonder why they look different. that can be easily explained, understood, and dismissed by age 9 or 10, and you would have no knowledge that racism ever existed (however, i believe history is very important, and that should be learned). and, since racism is not logical, you will never wonder or suppose that these people are inferior to yourself, since segragation is non-existant and schools are heterogenous for the most part.

that is simply called forgetting about it. people are constantly being reminded about racism, which brings up doubt that people really are the same.

forgetting about it would probably eliminate racism, but it is also important to learn about our past, and about history. if your going to learn that people in the past regarded different races as inferior, that thought will always be on our minds. however, learning our past is as important, and so is learning our history.

so the debate arises: what should you do? forget about it and rasicm will probably never exist again, or being continously reminded of it as to show how horrible it really was.

happiehour.jpeg

There is no way to get rid of racism. Where ever you go, you will always see somebody discriminated because of their skin color. It has become a part of society, and unless some major new laws and enforced, it will always be going on.

If people start regarding words like [racist term] (especially), cracker, [weakness], wetback, etc. as just normal words and not act like they got something stuck up their [wagon], it would help dumb racism down.

edit: lol @ cracker not being blocked while everything else was

1) There was a famous program done by 3rd grade teacher Jane Elliott in response to Martin Luther King's assassination, where children were separated according to eye color. First all the blue eyed kids were labelled as inferior for a day, and the teasing began. Test scores of brown eyed kids rose that day, and test scores of blue eyed kids dropped. The next day, they switched it up, and all the brown-eyed kids were labelled as inferor. The same results happened with the test scores! Scores of brown-eyed kids dropped. They no longer felt confident about their abilities.

The students who participated in this exercise still think about it and how much it affected them today.

I would argue that this exercise should be mandatory in all elementary schools. Jane Elliott now does a workshop for adults based on this exercise. Read about it here: http://www.janeelliott.com/

2) For older individuals, have social justice workshops. This helped me a LOT. Discuss the differences between racism, oppression, and discrimination. Discuss institutional racism versus individual racism. Discuss overt racism versus embedded racism. Talk about how it is important to actively break out of the cycle of racism. By discussing these things, individuals who think "Hey, I'm not part of the problem. I'm even pretty good about this! I think there's nothing wrong with black people / Latinos / etc!" will realize that they ARE part of the problem (most people in society are; that's why it's still a problem. I'm still part of the problem. But I'm working on it!)

3) Make sure that minorities are represented in positions of power. If everyone on, say, the town Board of Ed is white, of course they won't be as responsive to the specific needs of the school's black students.

4) Change the education curriculum so that history classes don't have such a "Western rich white men" focus. Include educational material about individuals at all levels of their society - their struggles and their accomplishments. Do case studies of individual people who were important, because this really brings it home.

I hope those help you start thinking about other ways to stop racism :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Implement the thought police.

Oh, shush up. (no irony intended :P)

Political correctness and social justice are not the thought police. While to a certain extent they both try to encourage individuals to critically evaluate and possibly restructure their thoughts and actions, they do so to allow you more freedom from the societal pressures you have felt all your life, and not realized that you felt. By realizing that you have felt these pressures, you are more free to come up with your own opinions, not under the influence anymore. Yes, there is a sense of trying to educate you, perhaps against your will - but isn't that what public school education is in the first place? Educating you to the ideal minimum values of society, whether it be in science or English or gym or what?

It's not like Big Brother, because its impetus is societal, not governmental. There is no law telling you to be considerate of races other than your own. There are no cameras watching you, waiting to catch you messing up. No; it is from a sense of "there is something wrong with society; let's try to fix it, from our society to our society."

People who think that if we just ignored racism and didn't discuss it to death, it would go away - these are the people for whom I think social justice training would be most valuable. Because we all want to be good people, are striving to be better people - many of us just haven't been educated about how to do it. This sounds condescending, I know, but I didn't go through social justice training until this year, and I can't begin to tell you how much it has helped me and made me more aware of so many issues.

siggypooro0.jpg

While you're at it, start handing out those brand new HD-Telescreen thingies I hear so much about.

What exactly is affirmative action (in this context), and how does it stop racism?

i have 1 way to stop racism:

forget about it

Yeah -- assuming that by "forget about it" you mean "have those people who are racist forget about their being racist, and stop being racist", but that's not really any better than saying "stop racism by stopping racism". Get me not wrong: I'm not in favour of a lot of the (needless) political correctness or cultural sensitivity, but a lot of people are actively racist instead of simply not making too much of an issue of race.

As sad as it seems, I really don't think there is a successful way to stop racism. That would mean changing the personal beliefs and opinions of people and how they impose those beliefs on their kids, which I think is impossible. Simply making it illegal, or all the other ideas you mentioned, won't prevent people from thinking a certain way about individuals. After all, they made drugs illegal, they established D.A.R.E. programs, but there are still millions of people around the world who use them.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

sutff.

I don't think he was comparing current methods of 'combating racism' to thought police. Like he said in the post, unless you control people's thinking, you'll never stop racism.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

sutff.

I don't think he was comparing current methods of 'combating racism' to thought police. Like he said in the post, unless you control people's thinking, you'll never stop racism.

Ah, yeah. I responded to his post before he edited in that second line, and thus misunderstood his intentions a bit :D

However, I still think it's not quite true. Yes, people think stupid stuff out there, and it's hard to get rid of "stupid thought" entirely - but education certainly helps. Yaay education :D

siggypooro0.jpg

While you're at it, start handing out those brand new HD-Telescreen thingies I hear so much about.

What exactly is affirmative action (in this context), and how does it stop racism?

forget about it

Yeah -- assuming that by "forget about it" you mean "have those people who are racist forget about their being racist, and stop being racist", but that's not really any better than saying "stop racism by stopping racism". Get me not wrong: I'm not in favour of a lot of the (needless) political correctness or cultural sensitivity, but a lot of people are actively racist instead of simply not making too much of an issue of race.

umm no.. you interpreted that way wrong.

"forget about it" is only a metaphor

as you know people die, and as you know people forget with time. if you keep spreading the history of racism, rasicst thoughts will still exist, however if you do not spread or even imply that racist thoughts ever existed, they will cease to exist in in todays society

happiehour.jpeg

forget about it

umm no.. you interpreted that way wrong.

"forget about it" is only a metaphor

as you know people die, and as you know people forget with time. if you keep spreading the history of racism, rasicst thoughts will still exist, however if you do not spread or even imply that racist thoughts ever existed, they will cease to exist in in todays society

That would work, if racism were only a transient thing - but as it is, it is deeply embedded into the institutions that already exist. And so even if everyone who is currently "racist" died, there would still be racism going on and carried through to the next generation :(

This is why we have to actively work to break out of the cycle, instead of just waiting for it to "go away" :D

siggypooro0.jpg

but working to break the cycle will always encourage a counter movement, and will stimulate racism. also, people have a nature to question, and by learning about it, it is also subject to be questioned.

another point is this: what is one of the worst insults to an african american person? say we learn about it and rase awareness; and say you wanted to insult a particular black person you really hated. which word would people choose? (the n word, and thats why its constantly used often, repeating the cycle)

happiehour.jpeg

Affirmative action? That won't do any good...

Best way to forget racism is to forget race.

Some people are proud of their identity. Why deny them that? I'm proud of being Jewish, and I like being around Jewish culture. Pretending other identities don't exist and that we are all the same doesn't seem like the best solution to me...

siggypooro0.jpg

Are you suggesting we pretend that none of the horrible racist things that happened in history happened at all? Are you suggesting that if people had never heard of racism they wouldn't themselves be racist?

just read the ending of my 2nd post please... :roll:

also pride in race could be considered rasicm. when people pride themselves of something, its usually because other people arent or dont have something you do. for example, the nazis prided themselves if they were aryan, not all people can have blond hair and blue eyes.

distinguishing also raises jealousy, which can lead to hate.

happiehour.jpeg