Eating meat - right or wrong?

issy2

I have no noble reasoning for this, my reason for not caring is not because i feel i need meat to be healthy

Interestingly, intentionally misquoting someone is in contravention of part 1.5 of the forum rules. So don't do it again.

Sorry about that. No, I looked at the paragraph, those few words caught my eye, I didn't bother reading the rest and quoted it. But it was not intentional. My mistake.

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's right.

I can't comprehend that logic. I could further extend it to say, eating is natural - but just because eating is natural, it doesn't mean it's right ... So we shouldn't eat?

Or going to toilet - just because it's natural, doesn't mean it's right - so we shouldn't go to the toilet?

They're natural processes, without them, we couldn't survive. However, you might then draw the point that we can survive without eating meat. To which I would reply: true.But saying eating meat isn't right is analagous to saying that living isn't right - because living's a natural part of our process.

Think about it for a second.

I respect all vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike, and I guess what it boils down then is your personal morals - which are inherently subjective rather than objective.

What makes something natural? Since I was raised a vegetarian does that make eating meat not natural for me? I survive without meat so that makes eating meat not a natural process.

I didn't say eating meat was natural, nor did I say it wasn't. I said the demarcation of nature as right or wrong is a bit of a useless venture. Re-read what I said.

What do you mean "what defines something as natural"? I thought it was a given that releasing your excrements and consuming food is a natural process of our life - or are you debating that point? Because those were my examples.

It may not be natural for the individual to eat meat, and I'll argue against my own points here. But it doesn't change the fact that we are 'instinctive' (probably not the right word) towards meat, which suggests we would survive better with it than without it. However, several million or whatever many years ago, meat would have been our main source of food. You couldn't have been a vegetarian, because there would be no protein alternatives, such as milk and cheese. I'm not sure about nuts though. So, we had to survive by eating meat, maybe a few plants. It was the way we had to live, and I don't see how it makes it right nowadays, when you can be a totally healthy person without eating meat.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's right.

I can't comprehend that logic. I could further extend it to say, eating is natural - but just because eating is natural, it doesn't mean it's right ... So we shouldn't eat?

Or going to toilet - just because it's natural, doesn't mean it's right - so we shouldn't go to the toilet?

They're natural processes, without them, we couldn't survive. However, you might then draw the point that we can survive without eating meat. To which I would reply: true.But saying eating meat isn't right is analagous to saying that living isn't right - because living's a natural part of our process.

Think about it for a second.

I respect all vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike, and I guess what it boils down then is your personal morals - which are inherently subjective rather than objective.

What makes something natural? Since I was raised a vegetarian does that make eating meat not natural for me? I survive without meat so that makes eating meat not a natural process.

we're designed to eat both meat and vedge. nowadays u can survive without eating vedgies too, so what ur trying to say is eating is altogether unnatural?

Yes.

What kind of question as that :uhh:

So it's morally right to eat human flesh, which is nutritious, if you like the way it tastes? (Once again, I'm not saying eating it for survival is wrong, just the taste bit)

I'd say it's a trick question meant to illustrate why being natural does not neccesarily mean morally right.

ive heard that human flesh tastes like chicken!!

btw, no one vedgetarian can say that cannibalism is wrong - they just dont have the right IMO. vegetarians simply want attention IMO, or are rebellin against somethin. whats the point in wasting a natural part of our body - the ability to eat meat? and meat tastes so damn good i doubt theres any vegetarian alive that doesnt eat it because they dont like the taste!!

It may not be natural for the individual to eat meat, and I'll argue against my own points here. But it doesn't change the fact that we are 'instinctive' (probably not the right word) towards meat, which suggests we would survive better with it than without it. However, several million or whatever many years ago, meat would have been our main source of food. You couldn't have been a vegetarian, because there would be no protein alternatives, such as milk and cheese. I'm not sure about nuts though. So, we had to survive by eating meat, maybe a few plants. It was the way we had to live, and I don't see how it makes it right nowadays, when you can be a totally healthy person without eating meat.

and? i really dont like u anymore. ur 1 of those stuck up people who thinks every1 should be what they r. just because u think its morally wrong to eat meat means everyone should? BS. leave. do u think we'd still be here if we'd stopped and went, 'wait, this is morally wrong' all those years ago? no. meat > vedgetables. owned.

u can be a totally healthy person WITH eating meat too.

triple post >.<

Edit by Anesthesia: there's no need to nest so many quotes. It's just a waste of space.

It was the way we had to live, and I don't see how it makes it right nowadays, when you can be a totally healthy person without eating meat.

:roll: I give up. Eating meat is not wrong, no matter how much you analyse it. It a nothing argument IMO. :notalk:

Yes, if you where born in a group of cannibalists then its completely normal, the law isn't everywhere. Poeple seem to forget that the US isn't the world.
Not quite - it's more geared towards:

One moral standard is not in place everywhere else.

Canibalism is perfectly fine in many places across the world.

Yes, if you where born in a group of cannibalists then its completely normal, the law isn't everywhere. Poeple seem to forget that the US isn't the world.

You know, when I read that, I actually laughed.

First of all... Actually, I'll keep that on til last when it makes more sense.

The second reason is because your statement doesn't actually disagree with what I said. I was presenting an example of the fact that we do assign moral values to what we eat and claiming that you don't understand that just means you havn't thought the subject through properly. The list of examples could easily be expanded to include more cultural differences; Ape-brain, cow's in hindu culture, pig's in jewish culture, cat's and dog's and whatever other pet you'd never eat, and of course the most glaring example of all; human flesh. To clarify; I agree completely with what you said (except the stupid crack at america, that just made me laugh) but I don't believe you'd have said it if you'd paid some attention to the context 'cause it just. Isn't. Relevant.

Oddly enough, I'm fairly sure Issy brought up cultural eating habits everal pages ago.

Third reason, my location still has that silly crack about polar bears in it - which it has had since late 2001 IIRC - and last time I checked, the USA does not have a state called Sweden. In case you're a bit lacking on your geographical skills; I'm a european.

And the first reason I laughed was because when I posted that I thought to myself "I wonder how long it'll take for someone to go "cannibalism!!1!" without actually reading the context in which it was brought up". The answer proved to be "a lot quicker than I expected".

Not quite - it's more geared towards:

One moral standard is not in place everywhere else.

Canibalism is perfectly fine in many places across the world.

Moral relativism aside, you wouldn't do it. Ergo, you have a moral and ethical stance on what you eat. And so does, I'm betting, forsaken. Even though eating is natural, you assign a clear, distinctive 'right and wrong' to what you chose to eat.

QED.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

and? i really dont like u anymore. ur 1 of those stuck up people who thinks every1 should be what they r. just because u think its morally wrong to eat meat means everyone should? BS. leave. do u think we'd still be here if we'd stopped and went, 'wait, this is morally wrong' all those years ago? no. meat > vedgetables. owned.

u can be a totally healthy person WITH eating meat too.

triple post >.<

I am not being stuck-up. I'm just putting forward my points as this is something called a debate. You know what that means? Fair enough, I did say I think it's wrong to eat meat. And anyway, this planet would probably be better off if we had 'stopped and went ''wait this is morally wrong'' all those years ago' as you put it. I'm not forcing my opinion down your throat, you're being completely unreasonable. We're having a discussion and if you can't deal with that you better leave.

Edit - I couldn't care less whether you like me or not.

Edit by Anesthesia: there's no need to nest so many quotes. It's just a waste of space.

That's an assumption that I wouldn't eat human flesh; no QED for you.

So then, you would really eat human flesh because of the taste?

You assumed I wouldn't eat human flesh - period.

And anyway, this planet would probably be better off if we had 'stopped and went ''wait this is morally wrong'' all those years ago'

I think you are wrong. How does not eating meat make us a better race? Or, how does eating meat makes us a worse race?.. explain.

If you knew a thing or two, youd know that eating red meat has been vital for the development and evolution of early man over the past 250,000 years. We are hunter-gatherers and this required us to hunt and kill animals to feed on the meat. It was the primary source of protien (among other things) for humans.

And anyway, this planet would probably be better off if we had 'stopped and went ''wait this is morally wrong'' all those years ago'

I think you are wrong. How does not eating meat make us a better race? Or, how does eating meat makes us a worse race?.. explain.

We would have died out quicker... but anyway, that's off topic.

So your saying the human race dying off is beneficial? care to explain your reasoning behind that?

So its morally wrong to eat meat according to you because you want the human race to cease to exist, which is morally ok according to you?

issy, if u want the world to be a better place, and u see humankind as the reason its not, /suicide? thx.

and i mean ur being stuck up because ur trying to say everyone who eats meat is wrong, morally wrong etc, and that all vegies (urself) are right.

and in ur first post, u said u felt sickened at tht thought tht its another living animals flesh sliding down ur throat? dont u kill / cook ur meat? if its dead its dead, and it doesnt give a [poop].

edit: i dont care if u care if i like u or not XD its mostly rs geeks here, and even if ur not 1 of them its the net?

edit: make me leave?

edit: k thx

So your saying the human race dying off is beneficial? care to explain your reasoning behind that?

So its morally wrong to eat meat according to you because you want the human race to cease to exist, which is morally ok according to you?

Definitely not! I just meant that on a whole, if the human race had died out quicker there would probably be less problems in the world today. Also, the reason I don't eat meat is definitely not because I want the human race to die out quicker. I was just making a slightly off-topic point.

Definitely not! I just meant that on a whole, if the human race had died out quicker there would probably be less problems in the world today. Also, the reason I don't eat meat is definitely not because I want the human race to die out quicker. I was just making a slightly off-topic point.

Ok, good to know your not a psycho. ::'

Ok, good to know your not a psycho. ::'

Lol. Um....*looks worried and fakes a smile*

No I'm joking. :lol:

It's not wrong to eat meat, think about it. Plants are alive too, and we eat them to survive. Everything you eat in someway is alive.

To bring up another point I will yet again say I am not forcing my opinions down anyone's throat so please take this as food for thought and not as fact *coughs at certain person* as far as we know, plants can't feel pain or emotion. Or maybe I'm wrong about that?

You assumed I wouldn't eat human flesh - period.

I'll take that as declining to answer the question.

If you want a cut and dry answer as to would I:

Get me some and we'll find out soon enough wont we. Human flesh isn't exactly available in the shops you know :uhh: