Eating meat - right or wrong?

issy2

i need meat to be happy :oops:

i have had a revelation.... i was eating a whopper from burgerking, oh and the burger was so succulent & juicy, but the burger would have been nothing without the veggies or the mayo, but neither would the meat. Meat & vedgetables dont need to fight, they can live in harmony <3

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly I dont like to watch amimals suffer so im not some cruel animal slayer.

Seondly, what use do animals have? I mean the must be here for a reason so what is that reason? The only logical reason is for us to survive off them. Otherwise they are useless and eat the vegetables that we also need.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Having read through the whole thread (ouch my head) there are far too many things to comment on and as this thread has made me incredibly hungry i will be brief.

The simple fact is: i don't care

I don't care if the coo beastie is killed for my steak

I don't care if the pig beastie is killed for my bacon

I don't care if chickens are killed for my sunday lunch

I have no noble reasoning for this, my reason for not caring is not because i feel i need meat to be healthy, i don't care because the nice taste greatly outweighs any feeling of guilt i might have. If there was a shortage of meat, or extinction was possible i would indeed stop eating it because i would care - there would be a problem. There are plenty of cows about, there is lots of pigs, there is an abundance of small feathery things that go cluck - no problem, but you certainly wouldnt catch me tucking into a plate of orangutang.

I may draw the line at veal, that does create a slight twinge in the old conscience, but with free range chickens etc i see no problem, they are going to die - why not use them? It is the base state of humanity as rulers of the earth (not in any religious sense, simply the fact) to use it to their advantage.

If it does give you problems fine, not a problem for me, but once again, don't expect me to care, or indeed listen.

Sorry for the extremely pessimistic views in places :mrgreen:, now time for lunch, bacon and eggs or a lovely leafy salad.... can you guess? :thumbsup:

Ahh, finally, a respectful meat-eater :D Thank you for actually considering the topic, concluding that veal is too much (what they do to veal is pretty sickening and torturous, more so than for other meat :x), and preferring free-range chickens to regular factory farmed chickens. I respect your decision to continue eating meat, and wish you lots of yumminess :D

WeeBoab, it's kind of paining me to read what you write, on the other hand. I think you would really benefit from reading the FAQ I posted on page 10 :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Dude, they're the same species. Don't be a twit.

You're saying a bull and a cow are completely the same? I've always tought that I was male, but this makes me think. I hope you realise that the sarcasm is drippin of it. I think you need some sexual education.

SAME. SPECIES.

Do bulls and cows not wander about together? Do male and female buffalo's not? How about lions?

Thought so.

not unless its a breeding zone/farm =D>

Nature. IN NATURE.

I swear to God, people will say anything to make themselves "right" in an argument, even if it's completely stupid.

i made a point, and nowhere did u say IN NATURE, ya jackass. <3

i swear to god, people will say anything to make themselves right in an arguement!!

i need meat to be healthy

How many times do I have to say it... :(

he said he feels. misquote ftw?

Total misquote indeed. It isn't whether he feels he needs it or not - its the fact that he said that isn't his reason for not caring.

I have no noble reasoning for this, my reason for not caring is not because i feel i need meat to be healthy

Interestingly, intentionally misquoting someone is in contravention of part 1.5 of the forum rules. So don't do it again.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Meh, I eat meat because veggies don't really fill me up :?

But the way that animals are killed today sickens me. Due to the growing population, farmers have had to adapt. Take chickens for example. They're shoved together in such a small space that it's cruel, and how they're killed is brutal. Some chickens are even electrocuted to death.

I love meat, but torturing animals is just......wrong.

jjroxlu7.jpg

Thanks to anathesia for sorting out what i was just about to say <3:

I didn't like being misquoted, was kinda a knee jerk reaction which is understandable with some of the people on this thread.

I think in the end it boils down to the independent thought of the individual, does he/she feel the pleasure of meat is outwieghed by the guilt caused by eating it? If not, munch away, if so, vegetarianism it is.

Then of course theres the people who simply don't like the taste, fair enough, i don't like pickles, i don't eat them, nice n simple.

I hope I made my post useful as i found out anathesia (apologies if i mispelt your name) had said what i was going to after i posted :oops:

politically speaking vegies eat living things, as vegdetables come from plants, and plants are living things, agreed?

I just thought that i'd point out that the vegetables are part of the plant. So the veges dont 'eat' the plant, they get the nutrients they need via the stems and whatnot.

@ Baron, i agree, it all comes down to the individual. Its not a matter of 'right' or 'wrong', because objectively, assigning one of the two to eating meat is impossible.

what;s the difference between eating eggs and eating chickens? you basically kill a chicken either way

Please, no pics.

Secondly, you don't kill a chicken by taking an egg. If you cook it before it starts to develop, it feels no pain. I also only eat free-range eggs and milk.

The eggs we eat aren't chicks; they are the exact same thing as the eggs human women have; so they are not even touched by a rooster. They aren't living things, unlike chickens.

And about vegetarians: I have great respect for them, if they are vegetarian because they do not agree with the conditions some animals are in. I disagree with many of that as well, but I don't think it's wrong to eat meat. Otherwise all carnivores are bad. And plants are alive as well, right? But I'm happy that Belgium has rather strict laws about animal rights; our cows don't spend their entire lives fattening in a 4x2m prison. I don't think a cow, a pig, or whatever animal that lives here, has a worse life than a wildebeast or an aardvark in Africa.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's right.

I can't comprehend that logic. I could further extend it to say, eating is natural - but just because eating is natural, it doesn't mean it's right ... So we shouldn't eat?

Or going to toilet - just because it's natural, doesn't mean it's right - so we shouldn't go to the toilet?

They're natural processes, without them, we couldn't survive. However, you might then draw the point that we can survive without eating meat. To which I would reply: true. But saying eating meat isn't right is analagous to saying that living isn't right - because living's a natural part of our process.

Think about it for a second.

I respect all vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike, and I guess what it boils down then is your personal morals - which are inherently subjective rather than objective.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

I can't comprehend that logic. I could further extend it to say, eating is natural - but just because eating is natural, it doesn't mean it's right ... So we shouldn't eat?

Or going to toilet - just because it's natural, doesn't mean it's right - so we shouldn't go to the toilet?

They're natural processes, without them, we couldn't survive. However, you might then draw the point that we can survive without eating meat. To which I would reply: true.But saying eating meat isn't right is analagous to saying that living isn't right - because living's a natural part of our process.

I respect all vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike, and I guess what it boils down then is your personal morals - which are inherently subjective rather than objective.

What makes something natural? Since I was raised a vegetarian does that make eating meat not natural for me? I survive without meat so that makes eating meat not a natural process.

Ahh, finally, a respectful meat-eater Very Happy Thank you for actually considering the topic, concluding that veal is too much (what they do to veal is pretty sickening and torturous, more so than for other meat :x), and preferring free-range chickens to regular factory farmed chickens. I respect your decision to continue eating meat, and wish you lots of yumminess

Not to mention veal just tastes gross to begin with :x

summerpngwy6.jpg

Ahh, finally, a respectful meat-eater Very Happy Thank you for actually considering the topic, concluding that veal is too much (what they do to veal is pretty sickening and torturous, more so than for other meat :x), and preferring free-range chickens to regular factory farmed chickens. I respect your decision to continue eating meat, and wish you lots of yumminess

Not to mention veal just tastes gross to begin with :x

everyone is entitled to their oppinion

They're natural processes, without them, we couldn't survive. However, you might then draw the point that we can survive without eating meat. To which I would reply: true.But saying eating meat isn't right is analagous to saying that living isn't right - because living's a natural part of our process.

What makes something natural? Since I was raised a vegetarian does that make eating meat not natural for me? I survive without meat so that makes eating meat not a natural process.

I didn't say eating meat was natural, nor did I say it wasn't. I said the demarcation of nature as right or wrong is a bit of a useless venture. Re-read what I said.

What do you mean "what defines something as natural"? I thought it was a given that releasing your excrements and consuming food is a natural process of our life - or are you debating that point? Because those were my examples.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

I don't understand where you're going with the "saying eating meat isn't right is analagous to saying that living isn't right - because living's a natural part of our process. " You say that you haven't said whether or not eating meat is natural. So how is it analagous to saying living isn't right since living is a natural part of our process?

I not really debating this (at least not yet) since I see nothing to debate. I'm just trying to get a grip on what you're saying.

But I'm happy that Belgium has rather strict laws about animal rights; our cows don't spend their entire lives fattening in a 4x2m prison. I don't think a cow, a pig, or whatever animal that lives here, has a worse life than a wildebeast or an aardvark in Africa.
Funny you should mention that actually.

There's quite a lot of Australian beef which is from Cows that have failed to fall pregnant. Can't have them eating all the feed if they aren't going to produce a calf, can we? And most beef "farms" are rather decent also, rainbow beef isn't exactly a big seller - anywhere.

That last statement can be applied to most meat that is produced in Australia. The only "problem" that seems to be around is with some sheep stations.

what makes something natural? its simple, you dont really need to overanalyse this. look at what our species does, and what they have done for the last x years. Typically, we are omnivorous and eat meat, its undeniable, irrespective of personal accounts.

I really just cant understand how one person can categorically slap the label of 'wrong' on eating meat. Im not against vegetarians, and anyone can eat whatever they like, but you just cant say that one whole food group is wrong.

According to the transitive property, Since little rodents and such that die end up as plant food, which vegetarians then eat, vegetarians are meat eaters. Algebra Rules!

In all seriousness, you don't want to eat meat, thats your own choice, just like its someone else's choice to eat meat.

Riqualyn.png

Since eating is natural, do you believe it is _morally right_ to consume anything we can gain nutrition from as long we enjoy the way it tastes?

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Yes.

What kind of question as that :uhh:

So it's morally right to eat human flesh, which is nutritious, if you like the way it tastes? (Once again, I'm not saying eating it for survival is wrong, just the taste bit)

I'd say it's a trick question meant to illustrate why being natural does not neccesarily mean morally right.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Yes.

What kind of question as that :uhh:

So it's morally right to eat human flesh, which is nutritious, if you like the way it tastes? (Once again, I'm not saying eating it for survival is wrong, just the taste bit)

I'd say it's a trick question meant to illustrate why being natural does not neccesarily mean morally right.

Yes, if you where born in a group of cannibalists then its completely normal, the law isn't everywhere. Poeple seem to forget that the US isn't the world.