Eating meat - right or wrong?

issy2

What about the millions of animals every year killed by harvesters getting the food that you eat instead of animals? At least the animals killed for food doesn't get wasted.

Where as the meat you eat is magically conjured, and doesn't involve feeding the cows with plant life. Well, actually, fish is fairly common. It's cheaper to feed cattle fish fished outside the coasts of Africa. The fact that people manage to die from starvation while we waste 90% of the fish (see, as a rule of thumb regarding the food chain, 1kg of meat requires 10kg of food for whatever it is. So 1kg of meat raised on fish requires 10kg of fish, which requires 100kg of whatever the fish lived on. Every step up the chain causes a loss of nine tenth's.) is just a sort of weird twist of fate.

You missed my point. Cows bred for meat isn't meat wasted. The grass feeding them isn't wasted either, its being put to use. The animals killed by harvesters are generally left rot. Technically, they put nutrients in the soil to be used by plants, but it still isn't needed.

True, by raising cows and other animals, the grass/milk etc required is more food than the cow will turn out to be, but red meat provides different nutrients needed. Even if the whole world lived on wheat and vitamin tablets, the populations health would degrade dramatically, as a variety of proper food is needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed my point. Cows bred for meat isn't meat wasted. The grass feeding them isn't wasted either, its being put to use. The animals killed by harvesters are generally left rot. Technically, they put nutrients in the soil to be used by plants, but it still isn't needed.

90% of all energy in the form of grass that goes into the cow will not be transfered to the whoever eats the cow. It will be translated into, mostly, body heat. How is the body heat of the cow not wasted energy, compared to the energy that could be supplied to keep people running? Let's face it, people starve, and at the rate the human population is increasing, there ain't going to be less of us to feed any time soon. And here we are, wasting energy on the body heat of cows - and once again, I've no qualms with meat eaten for survival as a part of a balanced diet (nor am I personally a vegetarian) but the simple fact is most of us do not eat a properly balanced diet, and meat is the where the biggest imbalance is; Most of us eat more than we need to in order to maintain a nutritious diet - because we like the way they taste. That is a waste of energy, no matter how you look at it.

And in either case, they point I was making was that while a vegetarian might have all those rodents on his conscious, eating meat will not save the lives of those rodents; Because the meat still needs to eat something and fish aside, that something is usually grown. And oddly enough, since 1kg of salad is just that, 1kg of salad, where as 1kg of cow requires 10kg of a salad, vegetarian lifestyle actually ends up consuming less crops than someone who eats meat - also a point to consider when it comes to keeping as many people as possible fed.

True, by raising cows and other animals, the grass/milk etc required is more food than the cow will turn out to be, but red meat provides different nutrients needed. Even if the whole world lived on wheat and vitamin tablets, the populations health would degrade dramatically, as a variety of proper food is needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

But if the whole world were to live on just as much meat as they need, as opposed to as much meat as they want, we'd end up being able to provide a whole lot more mouths with a proper diet.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

This has to be the stupidest question I have ever been asked... -.-

And don't tell me its right or wrong depending on what individuals think.

Its still a stupid question...

Disclaimer: I skipped all pages and didn't read them.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

90% of all energy in the form of grass that goes into the cow will not be transfered to the whoever eats the cow. It will be translated into, mostly, body heat. How is the body heat of the cow not wasted energy, compared to the energy that could be supplied to keep people running? Let's face it, people starve, and at the rate the human population is increasing, there ain't going to be less of us to feed any time soon. And here we are, wasting energy on the body heat of cows.

I'm confused, how is it wasted energy? Are you saying if the cows didn't eat the grass we would be able to use their potential body heat for energy? I think I just don't know enough about energy to understand you! :P

You crampin' my style.

And oddly enough, since 1kg of salad is just that, 1kg of salad, where as 1kg of cow requires 10kg of a salad, vegetarian lifestyle actually ends up consuming less crops than someone who eats meat - also a point to consider when it comes to keeping as many people as possible fed.

while you are true, its not really beyond our capacity to plant as many crops as we need to sustain ourselves and the food needs of the meat we want to eat. (although global warming is making agriculture more difficult)

but if your truely vegeterain then you wouldn't eat eggs.

*shakes head*

Vegetarianism is the practice of not consuming meat, with or without the use of other animal derivatives, such as dairy products or eggs.

Biiiiig difference between a Vegan and a Vegetarian.

*shakes head*

Vegetarianism is the practice of not consuming meat, with or without the use of other animal derivatives, such as dairy products or eggs.

So I can still eat fish/chicken?

Big deal!

*shakes head*

So I can still eat fish/chicken?

Big deal!

I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

If its about me;

-I can still eat fish/chicken this doesn't fall under the category "meat"

If that argument is true, I'm becoming a vegetarian right now, I love fish.

Well, i'm pretty sure chicken aren't fruit, so I think you're wrong.

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï(ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú_o)/ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï

doomdeathyz5.gif

This is how it starts-Calf-in-Straw.jpg

Then it grows-MuKuh.jpg

Then this guy comes along..redneck%20hunting%20trip.jpg

Then this happens-pix_abuse08.jpg

Then it gets cooked!!-untitledws4.png

And now..The best part of it all!!ribeye7.jpg

-OR- if you are mexican you will enjoy this...taco.jpg

That is a cows life

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

If its about me;

Well, i'm pretty sure chicken aren't fruit, so I think you're wrong.

Well, vegetarians are classified as "non meat eaters"

According to my puny brain cells fish falls under the category fish, chicken under the category birds.

and for the message above me:

Don't even care how they get the meat.

If its about me;

There are people called pescatarians who are vegetarians except that they eat fish.

Someone who eats fish and poultry (but not beef and other meat derived from mammals) is called a semi-vegetarian.

Hope that helps! :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

If its about me;

There are people called pescatarians who are vegetarians except that they eat fish.

Someone who eats fish and poultry (but not beef and other meat derived from mammals) is called a semi-vegetarian.

A pescatarian, never heard off.

Animals eat other animals, so I don't feel the least bit guilty about eating them.

Animals also smear and throw their own feces.

Hell, I still do that! :P

On the flip side, it's been proven that women are probably better mothers

Yes I have balls, but they melted.

If its about me;

They're vegetarian posers. :lol:

Ok, if you want to not eat meat for the purpose of being healthy I can understand that, but did you vegetarians ever think that vegetables and fruit are living things too? Also if killing cows is wrong, why isn't killing fish/chicken?

I'm confused, how is it wasted energy? Are you saying if the cows didn't eat the grass we would be able to use their potential body heat for energy? I think I just don't know enough about energy to understand you! :P

Meh, grass is a poor example since we can't digest it. The aforementioned fish (though come to think of it, that's probably mostly poultry, so that'd be the body heat of chickens) or grain makes for better examples(something silly like 30% of all produced grain is feed to livestock, IIRC). Especially the fish.

The cows (or chicken) use chemical energy stored in their food to produce body heat and grow. When we eat their meat, we eat - apart from the various special nutrients we do need from eat - only ten percent of the chemical energy we fed the animal. The other ninety percent has been used up as, for example, body heat.ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâô

while you are true, its not really beyond our capacity to plant as many crops as we need to sustain ourselves and the food needs of the meat we want to eat. (although global warming is making agriculture more difficult)

We have a worldwide annual population increase of, what, 75 million people? Where are we going to plant crops? The more we use the same land, the more of a beating that land takes. The more fertilizers we use, the more of a beating just about everything takes as ecosystems unbalance. The more forests we cut down, the less oxygen producing vegitation we get.

In short, even if we manage having food production keep up within the next 50 years, how suistainable is that going to be in the long run? How long does it take before we run out of land? Vegetarism may not solve these problems, but it won't make them worse, and it'll buy more time til we can figure out what to do with it.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Well I eat meat. For a couple of reasons: it tastes good, it gives me protien that's needed for growth (don't suggest cheese, it gives me a migrane).

The animals that are killed for food are given life. If we didn't breed them and protect them, they would probably have a very short life.

Also, the animals are dead and on the shelves so if you don't eat them they have been killed for nothing.

However, I do find battery hens are poorly treated so I only eat free-range eggs.

The way I see it, plants and animals are both living things. The more you study about the functions of a plant, the more you realize how similar it is to an animal. (They both are comprised of cells, both reproduce, both die, etc.)

Now, tell me how harvesting a healthy head of lettuce in order to feed on its leaves is any different than killing a cow in its prime to feed on its meat.

blackmageid8.png

The way I see it, plants and animals are both living things. The more you study about the functions of a plant, the more you realize how similar it is to an animal. (They both are comprised of cells, both reproduce, both die, etc.)

Now, tell me how harvesting a healthy head of lettuce in order to feed on its leaves is any different than killing a cow in its prime to feed on its meat.

actually, the more you study about them, you'll find they are very different. the things you mentioned are pretty much te only similarities, even though the reproduction of plants is vastly different from animals

animals -

get thier energy from celular respiration (breathing O2 to add to broken down glucose, gives off CO2)

have complex and varied bodily systems, organs, blood vessels and blood to transport protiens, fats, nucleic acids, carbs, nutrients, vitamins etc.

have some sort of nervous system and can perform basic, voluntary actions.

have a complex reproductive system.

plants -

get thier energy from the sun via photosynthesis (uses CO2 + H2O to make glucose, gives off O2)

have no bodily systems or organs, have some vessels (called xylem?) for transporting things.

have no nervous systems and act based on thier genetic code alone.

have simple reproductive ststem (seeds, spores, lack of courtship, family etc)

note: i see nothing wrong in eating either meat or plant matter.

I hate it when vegetarians say CHICKEN IS A BIRD, NOT A MAMMAL SO ITS OK. It is still the meat of a living animal

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

I hate it when vegetarians say CHICKEN IS A BIRD, NOT A MAMMAL SO ITS OK. It is still the meat of a living animal

I've NEVER heard a vegetarian say that chickens are okay to eat because they're birds (reptiles, btw). I'd assume that chickens and cows were like.. THE thing to stay away from if you were a vegetarian. :?

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

I've NEVER heard a vegetarian say that chickens are okay to eat because they're birds (reptiles, btw). I'd assume that chickens and cows were like.. THE thing to stay away from if you were a vegetarian. :?

Chicken doesn't fall under the meat category, which I've posted in a discussion with eggs before <3: .