Eating meat - right or wrong?

issy2

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's right.

dosent mean its wrong either....

Exactly, which is why we strive to find the Truth.

Quote:

to me, something that is biologically natural cant really be wrong. I welcome someone to change my mind but...

1. I eat meet

2. They will still kill as many animals wheter you eat it or not.

3. It's called survival. Every animal eats another kind of animal... There are even flowers that eat bugs... Isn't that crazy?!

4. I don't have feelings for a cow... But I wouldn't be able to eat a cat or dog(even tho, I'm chinese :P)

5. Well, That's all I could come with today.

Quote:

to me, something that is biologically natural cant really be wrong. I welcome someone to change my mind but...

If someone is genetically predisposed to be violent, is it okay for him to hit people who frustrate him?

If someone is genetically predisposed to love food, is it okay for him to over eat to the point of obesity?

If someone is genetically predisposed to have a strong sex drive, is it okay for him to rape a woman?

If someone is genetically predisposed to want material things, is it okay for him to steal?

If someone is genetically predisposed to be arrogant, is it okay for him to treat others with contempt?

Here's another way to put it:

It's natural for reptiles to abandon their children. Is this morally right for a human to do?

It's natural for female spiders to eat their mates. Is this morally right for a human to do?

It's natural for a cat to torture a mouse before he eats it. Is this morally right for a human to do?

It's natural for viruses to kill their hosts . Is this morally right for a human to do?

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

It's natural for female spiders to eat their mates. Is this morally right for a human to do?

One would hope not. :shock:

Joking aside though, that is a good point Astralinre.

Good (and well-articulated) points, Astra :D

That's not true. It's supply and demand, like in every other industry. How do boycotts work? Each individual person is making a difference.

By not buying a meat product in one specific instance, in the future, projections for how many people will buy that meat product will be x - 1. That - 1 is you. Once that projection for one less consumer is made (the demand is less), then they will prepare one less meat product next time, because they know it will go unsold. That's one less animal killed (assuming one animal -> one meat product).

Of course, in practice it's a bit more complicated, but the general idea holds. :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

That's not true. It's supply and demand, like in every other industry. How do boycotts work? Each individual person is making a difference.

Yes, nicely put Astra. =D>

And everything Mad just said was completely true. Also, as a young person who lives with her family, for me to become a vegetarian hugely affects my family. My dad tries to eat meat whenever possible but my mum is now really into veggie dishes! Which is great, because she now buys less and less and less meat, as I eat none and she eats very little.

Let's say it's roughly the same for, I dunno, 750 families in London. (and even that's an underestimate) It would make a huge difference! The meat market would sell less meat, resulting in less animals being bred for the purpose of slaughter.

And everything Mad just said was completely true. Also, as a young person who lives with her family, for me to become a vegetarian hugely affects my family. My dad tries to eat meat whenever possible but my mum is now really into veggie dishes! Which is great, because she now buys less and less and less meat, as I eat none and she eats very little.

Let's say it's roughly the same for, I dunno, 750 families in London. (and even that's an underestimate) It would make a huge difference! The meat market would sell less meat, resulting in less animals being bred for the purpose of slaughter.

Not really. There is plenty of things other than meat that the extra animals would be used for.

Not really. There is plenty of things other than meat that the extra animals would be used for.

But if the demand of animal-made products wasn't raised...

But if the demand of animal-made products wasn't raised...

There's always a demand.

Anyways, I serriously doubt that some people [even a fair ammount like you stated] could do anything drastic. If you had enough I could see that, yeah, but I don't agree that it'd be a good idea. Horrible idea actualy ;p.

If someone is genetically predisposed to be violent, is it okay for him to hit people who frustrate him?

If someone is genetically predisposed to love food, is it okay for him to over eat to the point of obesity?

If someone is genetically predisposed to have a strong sex drive, is it okay for him to [assault] a woman?

If someone is genetically predisposed to want material things, is it okay for him to steal?

If someone is genetically predisposed to be arrogant, is it okay for him to treat others with contempt?

fair enough.

If you like ill change:

something that is biologically natural cant really be wrong

to:

some genetic predispositions can be taken advantage of to commit wrong acts. Other than that, we didnt evolve to be wrong.

Here's another way to put it:

It's natural for reptiles to abandon their children. Is this morally right for a human to do?

It's natural for a cat to torture a mouse before he eats it. Is this morally right for a human to do?

It's natural for viruses to kill their hosts . Is this morally right for a human to do?

as for this, i agree, because i wasnt saying that anything one species does is ok for another, i was referring entirely to humans.

Exactly, which is why we strive to find the Truth.

To most people in the world the 'truth' means nothing because meat may be their *only* alternative, especially in rural areas, besides rice or other growable protein sources. You can't eat the truth.

When you talk about people switching to vegetarians, it makes very little difference in the whole world. Sure, if 750 people (like in your example) stop eating meat in London, maybe 1 or 2 cows less will be butchered. Still somewhere else in the world people are starving to death and will slaughter their domestic animals like cows for the meat.

Almost all living creatures eat other species, even a beloved pet dog or cat that are supposedly 'innocent' if left in their natural environment without human care. Is it wrong just because you have alternatives? Would dogs be immoral if they chose to kill instead of eating plants? Why do some vegetarians consider eating fish which are just as 'living' as other animals?

That has baffled me the most. What difference does it make if your food is 'red' or any other color of meat.. It's still a living thing. (Or was)

I believe what she suggested was that we have yet to find "the truth", because people still eat meat. Perhaps when people DON'T eat mea,t the truth will be found!

...Yea, that's quite the argument...

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Guest AshKaYu

To most people in the world the 'truth' means nothing because meat may be their *only* alternative, especially in rural areas, besides rice or other growable protein sources. You can't eat the truth.

When you talk about people switching to vegetarians, it makes very little difference in the whole world. Sure, if 750 people (like in your example) stop eating meat in London, maybe 1 or 2 cows less will be butchered. Still somewhere else in the world people are starving to death and will slaughter their domestic animals like cows for the meat.

Almost all living creatures eat other species, even a beloved pet dog or cat that are supposedly 'innocent' if left in their natural environment without human care. Is it wrong just because you have alternatives? Would dogs be immoral if they chose to kill instead of eating plants? Why do some vegetarians consider eating fish which are just as 'living' as other animals?

That has baffled me the most. What difference does it make if your food is 'red' or any other color of meat.. It's still a living thing. (Or was)

A difference is still a difference. You're saving the life of one cow. That might not seem alot in the grand scheme of things, but a life is a life is a life.

And only some vegetarians consider eating fish. They basically don't value the lives of fish. There's always some black sheep in a family.

A difference is still a difference. You're saving the life of one cow. That might not seem alot in the grand scheme of things, but a life is a life is a life.

And only some vegetarians consider eating fish. They basically don't value the lives of fish. There's always some black sheep in a family.

Except you're not saving one cow by not eating meat. You're saving a cheeseburger.

If 10,000 people became vegetarians from this very second on, they still wouldn't cut production. Especially since the population is only getting bigger. It'd take millions of people for them to even go "Whoa, making too much boys! Slow it down!"

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Guest AshKaYu

Except you're not saving one cow by not eating meat. You're saving a cheeseburger.

If 10,000 people became vegetarians from this very second on, they still wouldn't cut production. Especially since the population is only getting bigger. It'd take millions of people for them to even go "Whoa, making too much boys! Slow it down!"

Which is exactly why vegetarians are trying to convince other people.

Some animals eat meat - Sharks

Some animals do not eat meat - cows

Humans are animals

couldnt have said it better, really. Its amazing how you can get a point across with the simplest of examples.

Can we not do as we wish for once without being bombarded by other people's views? Ever stop to think your views are not mine, thus they should stay away from me?

Hmm.

- Me!

Can we not do as we wish for once without being bombarded by other people's views? Ever stop to think your views are not mine, thus they should stay away from me?

Hmm.

You clicked on the topic, dearie :D

And also, the vegetarian movement has grown quite large, especially in America and urban areas. In fact, I would say that approximately half of my good friends are vegetarian. At my college campus, there is even a very popular Vegan Cafe to cater toward vegans - and it's popular among vegans and vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, because it's just good food :D. Nothing ever changes in a day, but it's a growing movement, and it's certainly making a difference.

In addition, it has led to a greater availability of free-range and organic products to cater towards individuals who don't support factory farms, but don't mind the idea of meat in general - and greater restrictions about who can claim they are "free-range" or "organic." Ten years ago, you would NOT find the same product options in supermarkets. So don't even try to tell me it's not making a difference :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

personally i think its ok..although it is a bit sad.

It is healthy to eat vegetables, but you won't be a healthy person if you only eat vegetables. You need protein from meat.

so i think its ok

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

Hmm.

You clicked on the topic, dearie :D

And also, the vegetarian movement has grown quite large, especially in America and urban areas. In fact, I would say that approximately half of my good friends are vegetarian. At my college campus, there is even a very popular Vegan Cafe to cater toward vegans - and it's popular among vegans and vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, because it's just good food :D. Nothing ever changes in a day, but it's a growing movement, and it's certainly making a difference.

In addition, it has led to a greater availability of free-range and organic products to cater towards individuals who don't support factory farms, but don't mind the idea of meat in general - and greater restrictions about who can claim they are "free-range" or "organic." Ten years ago, you would NOT find the same product options in supermarkets. So don't even try to tell me it's not making a difference :D

Well, I didn't mean to keep the views out of THIS topic, I meant they shouldn't be shoved down throats within the real world. :P

- Me!