Eating meat - right or wrong?

issy2

I personally think eating meat is fine. Animals kill each other, what should stop us from doing the same?
Not ALL animals kill eachother... actually aside from fish a minority do and people shouldent eat more meat then is nessacery... small list

hamsters... (normally)

Squirrels

Birds

Domestic cats and dogs

small reptiles

Herbavoir dinosaurs

Giraffes

i can go on and on -.-

You do know that dinosaurs don't exist any more...

Do you think i should tellhim about santa claus.... :-# :XD: :-#

Roriniho.png

beepdk0.th.pngblackgoldrobesrv5.png

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was a player mod, and this was runescape, i would silence you.

Oh how I wish I could just reach through this screen and smack you. This isn't Runescape and in these parts of the boards you'll find a lot of people that don't even play. So let's keep Runescape out of here. And I'd like to see you try to silence Tigra :P

I meant if it was runescape #-o

Roriniho.png

beepdk0.th.pngblackgoldrobesrv5.png

You do know that dinosaurs don't exist any more...

Do you think i should tellhim about santa claus.... :-# :XD: :-#

You know.. You're one annoying little kid. The dinosaurs that are alive today are decentends of previous dinosaurs. It's a little something called evolution.

But really, you're one person I really wish I could just smack..

I personally think eating meat is fine. Animals kill each other, what should stop us from doing the same?

So if two of your friends were to go out onto the street and shoot someone, you'd do the same just because they did? Well that's weird.

we need meats for protein

I'm going to take the vegetarian stance on this because you're proving to be a moron and you should probably read at least a few pages of the topic before posting. Meat isn't our only source of protein. You can get protein from food like eggs or you can easily take a pill. Meat is not necessary for us to get protein.

I know, i never said you couldn't and please don't call moron, i havent insulted you in any form so you shouldn't insult me.

Nuts and many other things can also be sources of proteins, something you learn when your young it isn't like its secret knowledge.

Kaisershami.png

Kaisershami.png

meorkunderscore-1.jpg

I know, i never said you couldn't and please don't call moron, i havent insulted you in any form so you shouldn't insult me.

Nuts and many other things can also be sources of proteins, something you learn when your yound it isn't like its secret knowledge.

You're right, but you should compose that all in a single post rather than having someone like me point out missing things. If you don't want me to call you a moron, there's a few things you can do. First off, make sure to put as many thoughts into one post as possible. Don't make me point them out. Second, work on you English skills. And one little note about me, I'll be an a* to you if you have poor English skills or you're ignorant.

we need meats for protein

I'm going to take the vegetarian stance on this because you're proving to be a moron and you should probably read at least a few pages of the topic before posting. Meat isn't our only source of protein. You can get protein from food like eggs or you can easily take a pill. Meat is not necessary for us to get protein.

It is a good source of it, however are other sources, like nuts and eggs. Pills, however, aren't always effective. Some people can't handle an oral pill, and for them they'll have to be especially careful if they choose to become a vegetarian.

Meat is not necessary for us to get protein.

its still one of (if not the) best sourse of protien, and iron, and calcium, and necessary sulphurous compound.

sure we can get protien elsewhere, and many vegetarians live healthy lifestyles, but eating meat shouldnt be seen as wrong just because it comes from an animal.

Sorry. I usually don't converse with full grammar on the internet. The strange thing is my English average is perfect and I go to a private school. :P

Anyway, using protein subsitues such as pills are fine I'm guessing but if your truely vegeterain then you wouldn't eat eggs.

Kaisershami.png

Kaisershami.png

meorkunderscore-1.jpg

Hey, you don't eat meat because of the animals that died in order to feed you, no?

Plants are living organisms, so it's the same thing if you eat them.

Or is it more that you don't like the feeling of fat sliding down your throat every time you eat a piece of steak? Or if you are eating chicken, you find a vein in it. Or you order a steak and they give it to you rare, and it's like really pink and stuff...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Sorry. I usually don't converse with full grammar on the internet. The strange thing is my English average is perfect and I go to a private school. :P

Anyway, using protein subsitues such as pills are fine I'm guessing but if your truely vegeterain then you wouldn't eat eggs.

Pills, however, aren't always effective. Some people can't handle an oral pill, and for them they'll have to be especially careful if they choose to become a vegetarian.

Pills, however, aren't always effective. Some people can't handle an oral pill, and for them they'll have to be especially careful if they choose to become a vegetarian.

Suppository? :P

I never used to be able to swallow pills but it's easy once you get over the fear

Suppository? :P

I never used to be able to swallow pills but it's easy once you get over the fear

It's worse than that. Sometimes, the pill upsets people's stomachs badly. It's not that common, but I suppose it can happen.

The pill is also not the best for you. It's much, much better to eat regular foods with protein in them.

Plants are living organisms, so it's the same thing if you eat them.

its totally different really. Plants and animals couldnt be more different.

The pill is also not the best for you. It's much, much better to eat regular foods with protein in them.
thats very true, concidering that pill substitutes are made artificially, and for some suppliments, thier molecular form may be different/lacking from what regular food can provide for you.

so basically, we are disigned to eat real food, not substitute it for artificial food.

I'm going to go ahead and answer some of the questions/arguments that I've seen come up repeatedly :D

Q: Why not stop eating plants then, huh? They're living, too! Is it okay to kill them? Then why not animals? HA, GOTCHA THERE!!

A: Plants and animals are extremely different. Some animals have complex nervous systems that may allow them to feel consciousness (like us). Even the simplest animals have simple nerve networks. While few well-versed in the sciences would argue that a jellyfish is really conscious, vegetarians are forced to draw the line somewhere: which animals are alright to kill, and not others? The classic "vegetarian" chooses to draw the line at all animals, simply because it is a good easy clean line to draw - and you have to draw the line somewhere. A pescatarian is vegetarian who also eats fish, which have significantly less complex nervous systems than birds (i.e. chicken, turkey) or mammals (i.e. deer, cow, pig, lamb).

Q: But isn't it just part of the food chain? It's natural. This is the way the hierarchy is just supposed to be.

A: We are no longer living in a world where we are just part of the food chain. We are pretty much controlling the ecosystem of the planet, and have arguably expanded our human race beyond our "natural" capacity. The animals we are eating aren't part of the normal food chain - they are animals that we have raised in captivity, on FACTORY FARMS, to massively "grow" meat.

ALSO, as humans, (naturally omniverous), we are also conscious and have the ability to make rational choice and also consider morality, elevating ourselves to a level above the rest of the animals (arguably - chimpanzees... well, that's another topic altogether). Thus, we don't have to limit ourselves to the level of raw instinct. We have more options than that, and can take an ethical perspective into account.

Q: Only people who are rich can have the luxury of eating vegetarian. Poor people can't afford it and need to eat meat. The entire world population couldn't sustain a vegetarian diet. You don't support poverty, do you? HUH?

A: Actually, the way the energy pyramid works, only 10% or so of the energy you eat is carried over to the next level of the food chain. So, calorically, in order to "grow" the animals that humans generally eat (herbivores such as cows, pigs, etc), we use up 10x more base level grains and such. If we used the area that is currently used to farm grain for animal feed, to instead farm crops that are good for human eatin's :D, we would theoretically be able to feed 10x more humans. (In reality, this efficiency would be lower than this figure, because not all the farmland would be suitable for growing human-use crops. But it would still be more efficient than what we have now.)

So if you really cared about poverty and helping everyone get enough food to survive, you would make vegetarian diets mandatory and kill off factory farms. :D

Q: I hate all these damn hippies. They're always trying to tell me what to do and eat! stop forcing this down my throat, crazy hippie!

Umm, that's kind of hostile. I don't think it's that different from trying to show people that your religion is the right way and Jesus is the lord, or from trying to get support for an organization that fights poverty. It's something vegetarians believe in, and something they feel would help you and make you a better person. No one should force their opinions down their throat, and I apologize on behalf of vegetarians who do that. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with exposing you to new ideas and opinions and information. This just makes you more aware, and then you can make your own decisions given an expanded knowledge base.

Q: Being a vegetarian is unhealthy. You can't get the nutrients and vitamins and proteins you need.

It's hard to have a healthy diet, whether you're vegetarian or a meat-eater. I'd say the difficulties of each are fairly comparable. Meat-eaters have to be very careful about cholesterol and fats, for example - and they may not think to eat enough fruits and vegetables to get a lot of vitamins that are only available in them, thinking they have a satisfactorily complete diet.

Some great sources of protein for vegetarians are tofu, tempeh, other soy-based products (there's a whole range of meat substitutes available out there!), SEITAN (made from wheat gluten - this is my favourite :D), beans and nuts (legumes in general), some vegetables (broccoli is a decent source of protein, for example), and various other sources. Just do your research and read your nutrition facts. Make sure you get enough Vitamin B12 and Calcium and Vitamin D - these especially can be difficult for vegetarians and especially vegans.

Q: So umm, why are you actually vegetarian?

A: People usually have one or two of a couple of different answers for this one. These, I think, are the most popular, with emphasis on 2 and 3, and the differences between them:

1) It's healthier - Some people (especially those running in trendy or upscale circles) try this reason. I don't have much of an explanation for it.

2) Killing animals is immoral - Some people don't feel comfortable with eating meat from an animal killed for that purpose, period. They tend to see an animal as a conscious being, and think that it is immoral to kill said animal.

3) The current method of getting meat - that is, factory farming - is immoral and involves unnecessary torture of animals. - This is the most common reason from most intellectual vegetarians. Often, people who see this reason as important agree that being vegan would be ideal. To find out more about factory farming and why it's so bad, I recommend this website :D : http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/animals.html

4) provided by Make7upu101 - It's better for the environment - Some vegetarians are concerned about the ecological impact that mass animal production and containment has on the air, water, and land. Intensive agriculture is more about producing feed for livestock, which is devastating to the environment, energy inefficient, and not ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅsustainableÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Killing animals is immoral

probably the only thing i dont agree with you on... I just dont see that killing and eating animals to sustain ourselves (for the very purpose of us being able to live) is immoral. I just cant agree with that idea. Everything else is good but.

Killing animals is immoral

probably the only thing i dont agree with you on... I just dont see that killing and eating animals to sustain ourselves (for the very purpose of us being able to live) is immoral. I just cant agree with that idea. Everything else is good but.

Yeah, I don't personally agree with it either. It is a common reason people have, though. I believe reason 3 that I have listed there :D

siggypooro0.jpg

I would like to add another reason to that list of why people become/stay vegetarian:

It's better for the environment-

Some vegetarians are concerned about the ecological impact that mass animal production and containment has on the air, water, and land. Intensive agriculture is more about producing feed for livestock, which is devastating to the environment, energy inefficient, and not ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅsustainableÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Meat eating has been going on for millions of years. Its natural, don't try to tell me its bad for the enviroment

:lol:

Don't tell ME all that crap about the enviroment!!! *SNAPS FINGERS* :XD:

(I'm not ruling in favor of anyone, and this statement isn't stating my opinion about this situation. I just thought that what Sportzmaniac said was pretty damn funny in a good, neutral way.)

I would like to add another reason to that list of why people become/stay vegetarian:

It's better for the environment-

Some vegetarians are concerned about the ecological impact that mass animal production and containment has on the air, water, and land. Intensive agriculture is more about producing feed for livestock, which is devastating to the environment, energy inefficient, and not ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅsustainableÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

siggypooro0.jpg

is immoral and involves unnecessary torture of animals

sometimes, but not always, its not as if they deliberately seek out to torture the animals and make thier lives a misery, sometimes its just the most efficient way. Immoral? - some would think so, i dont blame them, but i dont think so.