List the programs you hate!

Guest Cosinus

Guest Cosinus

Have you tried any program that has been a nightmare? Bad interface? Constant crashings? Messy menus and messy options interface? TELL US!

What programs do you deeply dislike? Is it anything good with it at all? Do you recommend no one to download it, ever?!

I'll start with a program that I tried a while ago, the program is called Avast. I downloaded it because my Kaspersky License Key ran out, and my friend recommended it. I installed it quickly and started it, and I saw the very poorly 3D Interface, bad icons not telling what each button do and messy interface overall. After a while I found the update button and started updating , when it was done I started a Full Virus-scan to see how fast it is. The scan took ages, I didn't even finish it because it hadn't completed in 1 hour and 30 minutes. Avast, the worst program I've ever tried and will never recommend anyone to download it.

Now it's your turn, tell me what programs you hate. We might be able to start a little discussion here wether the programs really are THAT bad or not.

Flame away!

Realplayer

Quicktime

Sony Sonicstage, not that I've even used it - I have just seen it

MSN Messenger

Gamespy

Anything people have to force you into using because it's not good enough for you to want to use it of your own accord. The same goes for anything that is packaged with another program "Do you want to install Gamespy Arcade?".

Anything that adds itself to the context menu and won't let you remove it without uninstalling.

Anything that adds itself to startup for no good reason.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

winamp used to not crash too much but now it crashes every 5 minutes.

Sounds like something beyond Winamp is broken. I've had the last 5 versions on 4 different machines and *never* had it crash. :?

I'd have to say my most hated would be IE 6. It's a major PITA when it comes to web dev. IE7 does better (it renders the stuff I work with fairly close to FF and Opera) but IE6 just mangles things beyond recognition. :( Everything else I use was easily replaced with stuff that works. :mrgreen:

My computer is working perfectly fine all though it is a little slow to my expectations. I have had problems with winamp on other computers so that is why i put in on my list. I use core now and it works much better then winamp, more then just not crashing. I have not tried IE7 yet just because I got hooked on FF2 before i could even give it a chance. I always like new innovative programs all though FF is kind of falling in the crowd now.

Mac OS X Tiger - horrible due to crappy legacy support and none of the software i use run on a mac. And the games on the mac are either horrible or have been released on a PC 5 years ago. Mac computers also have NO support for themes and the sound set that is included has no configurable options. OS X only has a poorly thought out disk utility that is not flexible at all while windows comes with a whole list of utility's and options. OS X also has a disk defrag that only works on files below 20mb but XP can do over 20mb plus it supports FAt32 and NTFS. Overall I think Apple could lean a few things from Microsoft. If you are thinking of Mac's new advertising campaign how Mac's have 0 virus then try to be more responsible on what you choose to download and avoid P2P(peer to peer not pay to play) connections(mostly [Caution: ExecutableFile] files). I do not have any virus protection at all but why am i virus free? That is because i have a PC and they "just work". Don't Worry Macs still have the use as a door stop. Thanks for your time.

Freecell

i mean, really, what's the point?

Back by popular demand!

And I guess I just wanted to tell you, as the light starts to fade, that you aree the reason, that I am not afraid, and I guess I just wanted to mention, as the heavens will fall, that we will be together soon if we will be anything at all.

Have to disagree with you, Cosinus.

Avast is pretty good. The UI is bad yes. But that's it.

I don't like iTunes, but since I use Mac. 'Course I could get Windows Media Player, but I only use it as secondary player. And don't like Safari, the brushed steel is ugly. Same with Msn for Mac, more brushed steel. -.-

And the Photoshop UI, Especially on Windows.

I can get used to most interfaces and programs, but it get quite annoying after a while. :P

Darrel, OS X Tiger is good, when you got the ram. :P

winamp used to not crash too much but now it crashes every 5 minutes.

Sounds like something beyond Winamp is broken. I've had the last 5 versions on 4 different machines and *never* had it crash. :?

I'd have to say my most hated would be IE 6. It's a major PITA when it comes to web dev. IE7 does better (it renders the stuff I work with fairly close to FF and Opera) but IE6 just mangles things beyond recognition. :( Everything else I use was easily replaced with stuff that works. :mrgreen:

Truth that you have to support either IE7 or IE6; can't do both because one'll break the hacks for the other - or something like that?

I haven't done any interface work (like serious stuff that'd require me to find out) since IE7 came out - so I don't know :-?

Any program made by Hewlett-Packard (scanning software, printer drivers, etc)

They never feel properly intergrated with your system or the other programs that they feel the need to use.

boogityboo04.png

rotalsnarT laciffO

Solving the confusion once and for all

Other people have mentioned programs like IE7, Realplayer and Quicktime (even though i like the quality of picture in mov files) but here are a few programs which I hate.

SPSS 14 - Contantly craches and corrupts, files never open on first attempt. Cryptic error messages constantly show on the screen and I have to copy accross a file called spssd.conf every few weeks from a working pc because it corrupts and then refuses to open. It also has the most stupid licencing checker to make sure you arnt using a dodgy copy in the world with four 12 digit cose made up of numbers and lowercase & uppercase letters to be added to activate the seperate modules of the program.

Adobe Acrobat 6 - Never ever ever makes a decent copy of the word files I am trying to convert. Fails to shade charts and graphs properly and refuses outright to make hatching work. Also doesnt like making a pdf of SNAP files and always spills it over onto two pages instead of one.

Invisionfree/Forumer/ect - Basicly any online or free hosting comapny that allows people to create their own rubbish forum or website with a few clicks of a button. This has resulted in a huge upsurge of really bad websites and communities run by people who dont have a clue what they are doing while giving an ego boost to control freaks who just want to be an admin of a successfull site without putting in any work themselves.

DRM - Any digital rights management software of any kind. If you can hear it though speakers or watch it on a screen then its possible to crack even the most strongest of digital rights management. I dont call anything which hunders the use of products i have rightfully paid for a feature. Its also not fair for me to spend a fortune upgrading my equipment just to play movies on because the DRM drains so much processing power and memory. Movie and music piracy is inevitable, the solution is to make stuff people actually want to buy no lock down everything so nobody can use it properly. At the moment the only way for me to get good quality high definition content that I can play on my laptop, xbox 360 and on my big HD TV is to get an illegal copy... surely thats not right?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

DRM - Any digital rights management software of any kind. If you can hear it though speakers or watch it on a screen then its possible to crack even the most strongest of digital rights management. I dont call anything which hunders the use of products i have rightfully paid for a feature. Its also not fair for me to spend a fortune upgrading my equipment just to play movies on because the DRM drains so much processing power and memory. Movie and music piracy is inevitable, the solution is to make stuff people actually want to buy no lock down everything so nobody can use it properly. At the moment the only way for me to get good quality high definition content that I can play on my laptop, xbox 360 and on my big HD TV is to get an illegal copy... surely thats not right?

You should watch Alan Cox's patent, he's trying to get one on DRM. It's quite funny -- though I doubt it will suffice.

Steam - My god its evil to me sometimes (deleting games i've paid for #-o ), but sometimes so nice, or at least less nasty

Seeing how its the only way I know of to play DoD I have to stick with it.

BTW am in no way a techie, so pwease don't shout at me :oops: