Is Racist Prejudism Always Unjust?

Gin_and_Tonic

As for whoever asked the question, the Koran does not advocate violence in any way. You might want to think about the fact that as far as religions go, the most people have been tortured, killed and dehumanized in the name of Christianity.

Thanks for an answer!

And yes I know about Christianity. I wasn't getting at Muslims or anything, just wondering. Thanks! ::'

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racism and prejudice is never, ever, acceptable. ever. I think you all would have quite the different viewpoint if it started happening to YOU.

But then again, most of you in favor of profiling never have experienced the actual humiliation of being racially profiled, so whats the point in trying to tell you anything?

As for whoever asked the question, the Koran does not advocate violence in any way. You might want to think about the fact that as far as religions go, the most people have been tortured, killed and dehumanized in the name of Christianity.

But neither does our Bible advocate voilence.

As for whoever asked the question, the Koran does not advocate violence in any way.

This is an oft quoted statement that isn't entirely true. Islam is a very peaceful religion, the word itself means peace. However, just like in the Bible, there are certain sections where violence is approved in certain circumstances. Jihad, is not a holy war, but is a reaction against the oppression of their religion coupled with a breakdown of diplomatic negotiations. If innocent life is protected then in those circumstances it is deemed okay to use violence.

Muslim extremists manipulate certain passages like this to their advantage, so they believe that what they are doing is Allah's work. It isn't, but with a very twisted mind it could be considered so.

As Merc said, I think given the choice between searching a 21 year old Muslim and an 80 year old Christian woman i'd search the 21 year old every time. Yes, this might be prejudice, but the simple fact is that when human being's lives are potentially at risk you just have to look past the idealism and ethics and search the target that is going to represent the higher risk. If they have nothing to hide then there is no harm done.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

the Koran does not advocate violence in any way

Just a few:

The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.

Lo! Allah loveth them who battle for His cause in ranks, as if they were a solid structure.

Take him and fetter him

And then expose him to hell-fire

And then insert him in a chain whereof the length is seventy cubits.

Because of their sins they were drowned, then made to enter a Fire. And they found they had no helpers in place of Allah

I tried to avoid the hundreds of 'they'll burn in hell' references and instead just find the human-on-human violence.

If thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn

Ye shall keep the sabbath ... every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death.

For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death.

And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them

If a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they

If a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.

If a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death

And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission

And I will kill her children with death

And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.
fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Im not sure if this counts.. but...

Today in school these 3 kids went on this huge tirade about how gays should die, and how these kids could "spot one from miles away" and "the next one i could find will die". Ironically, I was at that table... and I managed to leave unharmed.

Megadedhed.jpeg

Sigs made by Runemetsa, Nuzza, Dark_Shadow, Kuroi and Me.

liquid blobs attacking eachother

American Anime... YAY!

This is off off topic (though surely off off topic is on topic?):

I don't see what's the bother, I don't think of them as coloured or white, muslim or hindu. They are all the same, HUMANS

Anyway this is on my bebo, I think it's clever:

A BLACK MAN WALKS INTO A CAFE EARLY ONE MORNING AND NOTICES HE'S THE ONLY ONE THERE

AS HE SAT DOWN HE NOTICED A WHITE MAN SAT BEHIND HIM, THE WHITE MAN SAID "COLOURED PEOPLE ARN'T ALLOWED IN HERE" .

THE BLACK MAN REPLIED...

"WHEN I WAS BORN I WAS BLACK

WHEN I GREW UP I WAS BLACK

WHEN I'M SICK I'M BLACK

WHEN I GO IN THE SUN I'M BLACK

WHEN I'M COLD I'M BLACK

AND WHEN I DIE I'M BLACK.

BUT YOU SIR...

WHEN YOU WERE BORN YOU WERE PINK

WHEN YOUR'E SICK YOUR'E GREEN

WHEN YOU STAY IN THE SUN YOUR'E RED

WHEN YOUR'E COLD YOU TURN BLUE

AND WHEN YOU DIE YOU TURN "PURPLE."

"AND YET YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL ME COLOURED"

THE BLACK MAN TURNED BACK AROUND AND THE WHITE MAN WALKED AWAY.

COPY THIS INTO YOUR SPACE AND HELP ERASE RACISM

Meh just something I read and added

~MAK

I don't see what's the bother, I don't think of them as coloured or white, muslim or hindu. They are all the same, HUMANS

Sadly though their differing views and beliefs can lead to a potential risk to other human life.

Is it always unjust? Absolutely not. Stereotypes and prejudice are a defense mechanism, ensuring survival.

However, we are now more educated and must understand that prejudice merely impedes progress these days. The world is more...unified, if you will. :)

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

I'm not racist against Muslims or any race, its just some groups in the race that I don't like.

Al Queda, KKK etc

Does the Islamic religion suggest killing people if they won't convert?

(Not sarcastic or anything, just I've never read it... so does anyone know exactly what it says about murder?)

Muslims are one of the most tolerant religions, they will let you practice any religion you want if they conquer your country, for example, when hte Muslims took over southern spain in medieval/renaissance times, they let the spainards practice whatever religion thatt they pleased....

Racism and prejudice is never, ever, acceptable. ever. I think you all would have quite the different viewpoint if it started happening to YOU.

But then again, most of you in favor of profiling never have experienced the actual humiliation of being racially profiled, so whats the point in trying to tell you anything?

Ha. Haha. Hahahaha. The Bible is one of the most violent books ever written by man, so...And not only is it violent in general, it advocates violence against several groups of people on many different occasions. Every religion based off of the Jewish-Christian God is the most intolerant religion(s) around today. You can't practice how you wish, you're forced to be a clone. I think the Crusade's have served as a good little example of that.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Well, the other day I got stopped by the terrorist people at London Blackfriars station. I just laughed at the fact I was stopped, at which point the officers said: "I'm sorry for this, bit of a waste of time after all". But hey, they gotta do what they gotta do. At least, that's what I told them.

Was quite fun really, and they gave me a little pink receipt at the end of that. So be warned! Bubsa could be a terrorist! ::'

I've just discovered another quote which shows how egregiously wrong you are:

If your brother, the son of your father or of your mother, or your son or daughter, or the spouse whom you embrace, or your most intimate friend, tries to secretly seduce you, saying, ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅLet us go and serve other gods,ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ
fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Sadly though their differing views and beliefs can lead to a potential risk to other human life.

Yes, it's quite amazing how far people will go.

~MAK

I'm going to watch this thread very closely. Being a Muslim myself, I find this to be quite interesting...

1. Lets not go into how violent books are. Been there done that.

2. Fun Fact: Arabia and India are located in....you won't believe this....ASIA!

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

My intention isn't to attack any religion in this instance, merely to debunk the misinformation that those two were spouting.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

My intention isn't to attack any religion in this instance, merely to debunk the misinformation that those two were spouting.

I was not aiming at you specifically. However, these threads tend to stray in that direction.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

I hope you aren't suggesting that Islam is such a belief that leads to potential risk to other human life? You're a moderator on this site; I would expect more. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

I hope you aren't suggesting that Islam is such a belief that leads to potential risk to other human life? You're a moderator on this site; I would expect more. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

He didn't specify islam and the quote he was responding to didn't either.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

He didn't specify islam and the quote he was responding to didn't either.

Ze was ranting about Islam on previous posts though, so I think we know what it refers to.

However, I think ze meant to say that "their differing views and beliefs are correlated with a potential risk to other human life". Clearly being Muslim doesn't lead to a risk to human life, it's just that at the moment terrorists attacking America seem to be more likely to be Muslim.

If they have nothing to hide then there is no harm done.

But there is harm done. It feels like you're being picked out as someone who is 'evil'. I imagine that you have no intention of blowing yourself up, so you'd probably feel quite victimised if someone kept seriously suspecting you of considering it.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

Wow, alot of responses, alot of good points.

Today i saw another example of racism againts Muslims/Other faiths.

I was waiting for the bus, and a Muslim gentleman, about 60ish, was also waiting. A few kids (15-16year olds) scuffled and all started pointing/imitating him... Kinda sad, because they were probably discriminating him because of the way he looked - Not because of what the media portrays.

Sorry, you probably misunderstood my point.

My point is that we may all be humans but we all have different beliefs and values. I wasn't specifying Islam at all, simply that wars and conflicts have been fought for thousands of years because fellow humans have held different beliefs. "Their" didn't refer to any group in particular.

Ze was ranting about Islam on previous posts though, so I think we know what it refers to.

I wasn't ranting about islam at all. Like Parabola I was simply debunking the myth that Islam is a religion completely opposed to any form of violence. I have studied islam and can recognise that 99% of the time it is a very peaceful, tolerant religion.

If they have nothing to hide then there is no harm done.

But there is harm done. It feels like you're being picked out as someone who is 'evil'. I imagine that you have no intention of blowing yourself up, so you'd probably feel quite victimised if someone kept seriously suspecting you of considering it.

I've been picked out before for random spot checks at airports and such. When I was travelling with my mother and father. I'm a white, english looking guy. I'm not saying I shouldn't have been picked out at all, and it was reassuring that a security presence is being maintained. But if they picked me simply to fill a quota that said they had to balance out the people they chose, I don't think that's necessarily right.

Let's not forget that any random checks are done to protect human life, not to victimise the people who make them. If they feel victimised then i'm sorry but they need to get used to it because that's the society we live in today.

I'm not racist against Muslims or any race, its just some groups in the race that I don't like.

Al Queda, KKK etc

Does the Islamic religion suggest killing people if they won't convert?

(Not sarcastic or anything, just I've never read it... so does anyone know exactly what it says about murder?)

No. Muhammed specificaly said that the "other peoples of the book" (Jews and Christians) were to be respected, even if they were not entirely right. The Quran is far more moderate, IMO, than the Old Testament, which is, to be honest, a scary, viscous book. But there are some cases where followers are insighted to "die for thier faith" (they will be rewarded with 72 (could be 74, not sure) virgins "whom neither man nor djinn have touched before - yup there's something for any feminists out there). How this edict is interpreted differs from preacher to preacher.

I think so racial predjudices can be just - simple things like Chinese are short (on average this is true, even if the world's joint tallest woman is, in fact, chinese), and that the Birtish think they are far more important (in terms of international relations), than they actualy are etc. They are gross generalisations, but some of them have some truisms.

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

For starters, it IS a minority of Muslims, in fact it's a very SMALL percentage of Muslims who bomb, and at that, it's not even MAINSTREAM Muslims who do it, it's RADICALIST MUSLIMS or whatever who do this. And trust me, racism is NEVER just, it's unjust, always, no matter what. Our (American) Media INSTILLS fear into the people. If you get the chance, listen to (or read the lyrics) to the song "Anatomy Of Your Enemy" by Anti-Flag, it gives Ten Easy Steps to "Create an enemy and start a war" and, a few of the steps may look familiar to what's happened before, instill fear so then the people will follow actions (Hmm, Terrorists, get people scared about it happening, "war on terrorism" ring a bell?), the media IS basically taken over and ran by the ruling party (presidency, read between the lines of todays media). Also, use religious/nationalistic symbols to define actions. Anyhow back on topic...

I'm taking TWO classes that deal with Ethnicity, "American Ethnic Literature" which is, well about the different ethnic literatures (asian, african-american, native american, etc) and American Diversity, which is entirely about this sort of thing.

To simply place it, it's been implanted into our brain to follow the media, which brainwashes into becoming paranoid. And as I've always believed, America has become completely paranoid, about EVERYTHING. It's pathetic, and I'm more scared of our nation than a nation full of Muslims!

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

Organizations like the KKK and Stormfront (who go under the guise of "white nationalist") are utterly pointless. Tell me, what the heck is the point of "racial preservation! All my heritage! Stupid race-traitors!"? Concepts like that have absaloutly no point in modern society along with "send negroes back to Africa!"

I don't get why they don't see the stupidity in their ideologies.

Just my 2 cents. :)