Is luring an acceptable practice?

Kalphite_Queen

Luring isn't scamming. You don't tell them you will give them a party hat set if they cross that agility obstacle. Those morons simply follow you. Even if it was their own fault, it is for some reason in human nature to complain about their own stupidity.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it the Abyss Pkers say? You know the dangers, don't go in the wild if you don't want to get killed --- so if your daft enough to go in the wild with serious amounts of cash and all your best items then being pked is your own fault.

thSA700076.jpg

All these people saying "Common sense" and other things are making me sick. Anyone who lures are taking advantage of their victim's trust, goodwill and "opportunity seeking eye" that oh so many REAL LIFE business owners have.

Anyone rememer that Tipit times article?

Pixels?

This applies to both lurers and lurees.

I think they "breach their rules" out of neccessity. Can you imagine if it was a reportable offence? How would you decide from a snapshot of the chat what really happened? Unless they said "hey, come to the wild with all your expensive stuff....no I promise I'm not going to let you get killed."

The reports customer service people would have a headache trying to sort out all those reports.

Besides, it's not like if they said it was illegal, those people would stop. They prey on those that are "weaker" than them, why would a rule against it matter?

Are you suggesting that they need to lure in order to make money?

You are right. Jagex customer support would be bogged down with even more headaches, but that is no reason to not make it against the rules.

And 1seck0, you lure because you think it's funny, are incredably rude, and seem to enjoy spamming up the thread by posting several times in a row, . ~EDIT~ (Sorry, I was angry) Save the space you occupy for someone else worthy of calling themselves human.

Also, learning english wouldn't hurt.

Halo%202%204%20u.gif

The construction emote should be a person burning a bag of money.

Add me on Xfire! User = loopydood

jumping-smiley-012.gif

^Click the smiley. You know you want to.^

All these people saying "Common sense" and other things are making me sick. Anyone who lures are taking advantage of their victim's trust, goodwill and "opportunity seeking eye" that oh so many REAL LIFE business owners have.

Anyone rememer that Tipit times article?

Pixels?

This applies to both lurers and lurees.

I think they "breach their rules" out of neccessity. Can you imagine if it was a reportable offence? How would you decide from a snapshot of the chat what really happened? Unless they said "hey, come to the wild with all your expensive stuff....no I promise I'm not going to let you get killed."

The reports customer service people would have a headache trying to sort out all those reports.

Besides, it's not like if they said it was illegal, those people would stop. They prey on those that are "weaker" than them, why would a rule against it matter?

Are you suggesting that they need to lure in order to make money?

You are right. Jagex customer support would be bogged down with even more headaches, but that is no reason to not make it against the rules.

And 1seck0, you lure because you think it's funny, are incredably rude, and seem to enjoy spamming up the thread by posting several times in a row, GFTO. Save the space you occupy for someone else worthy of calling themselves human.

Also, learning english wouldn't hurt.

But it is against the rules, the wording in Rule 2 is very clear about lying/deceiving other players. Just that it's not reportable from some of the mod responses I've seen on these threads, as the chance of the lurer saying something incriminating in most cases is too low. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

If a player has no intention of buying/selling (whichever the case may be) an item and just uses that as an excuse to get someone in the wild. It's illegal.

Trust shouldn't be considred a character flaw. Since a lot of younger people play this game, some haven't had the "life experiences" to teach them that some people will say whatever they have to to get what they want. Granted it is better they lose something from a game than in real life. But to some it's feels the same.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

"were not in school so get a life"? Wow, so spelling correctly means I don't have a life? Wow, great logic! :roll:

Second point, this comment...

"taking candy from a baby" all that takes is for you to get there parents to look the other way. you take there candy and run, that is just mean. luring does take talent first you have to talk the person to going near the wild and that can be a challenge so it does take skill

You are taking the candy and running. You take the items, add them to ignore, and change worlds. That's what lurers do. And yes, it take so much skill to get a busy merchant to run to the wilderness because (S)he wants to get on with his/her life. Oh, and "Thats just mean", if that's mean, what do you think luring is?

And third, you're not pking, let alond pking with dignity. Pking involves attacked a player who is at least prepared to fight there.

OhioState.jpg

The GES, the only clan ruled by a Goat.

"How did it start? I mean, did one kid just yell out lets have sex!""

well in my thinking i would say that its not ok to lure. I should think most people would be smart enough to fall for it. But no matter how we debate i have a strong feeling that lureing will never end :wall:

Currently taking a break from runescape, as i have learned there are many more important things in like thatn runescape.... but runescape will still be close to my heart through out my break

I believe luring newbies to the game shouldn't be allowed, but then again, who wants to lure a newbie with bronze sword and wooden shield? o.O
well someone did do that to me when i was level 5. after what i quit runescape thinking it was stupid till my friend told me what to do to b rich.

i think luring is really unacceptable. you're going to make someone really sad losing their whip for... a few kilobytes on your account? im totally againt that :shame: :evil: :shame: :evil: :shame: :evil: :shame: :evil: :shame:

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

To start off, luring takes talent... to find anyone stupid enough to fall for it. The only high level people with whips, as aforementioned, or other valuable items with the capability (or lack thereof) to fall for this sort of trick are those who bought the account - anyone who actually played long enough to get a whip honestly will not fall for luring.

Secondly, any new player needs to learn the dangers (damn myself for even calling these things such) of the game: losing thirty gp worth of items is trifling even for a newb. Even the most inexperienced gamer can earn that amount smithing low-level items in twenty minutes at the most.

Thirdly, this whole argument defies logic: it is a discussion about the moral issues involved in a system that defies morality: RS condones, at least in a digital, fantasy setting, theft, drinking, and murder. It doesn't matter that this is something any self-respecting game does, it is just that any video game is, for the most part, outside general codes of morality and in-game conduct should not be subject to the same laws of ethics that govern real life conduct.

I'll add more when I think of some more.

Why did the English languge create such an odd word as ninthly? It bugs me.

So, not only do you assume that all people who are lured bought their accounts, but you say that the only way to learn is by losing your items?

So you think that the only way to learn is a trial by fire?

Do you believe that you're doing some kind of service by teaching the newbs and killing those you think bought accounts?

At least you used the spelling and grammer needed to make you look intelligent.

OhioState.jpg

Is luring an acceptable practice..good question. Some say yes..because it is the Wilderness. Some say no, because it breaches the rules. I'll go with the latter.

Rule 2 - Item Scamming

Effective date: 16th January 2007

You must not scam or deceive other players. Lying to other players for your own personal gain is not in the spirit of the game.

As far as I know, Deception means to trick someone into a deal/proposition with false information. According to Rule #2, Deception is an illegal practice in RuneScape.

Luring is pretty much lying to someone to get them into the wildernesswith their valuables.

So..since we have defined Luring, it seems it is a form of DECEPTION..is it not? So, is Jagex breaching their own rules? Does this mean that they are being hypocritical by saying we need to follow the rules? I say yes. LURING, as I see it, is a highly dishonorable and idiotic practice. It disappoints me that Jagex showed their TRUE intelligence by allowing this to go on.

forum luring is the only type of deception in luring. the varrok bar lure is not deception. you didnt tell the person to run out and grab the gold peices out in the wild. they do it by there own choice.

so luring is "idiotic". i dont see anything idiotic in gaining 1 mill or more in a couple of minutes :D

"were not in school so get a life"? Wow, so spelling correctly means I don't have a life? Wow, great logic! :roll:

"taking candy from a baby" all that takes is for you to get there parents to look the other way. you take there candy and run, that is just mean. luring does take talent first you have to talk the person to going near the wild and that can be a challenge so it does take skill

You are taking the candy and running. You take the items, add them to ignore, and change worlds. That's what lurers do. And yes, it take so much skill to get a busy merchant to run to the wilderness because (S)he wants to get on with his/her life. Oh, and "Thats just mean", if that's mean, what do you think luring is?

And third, you're not pking, let alond pking with dignity. Pking involves attacked a player who is at least prepared to fight there.

this is a game not any type of english test.

correction you have to talk them into coming to your spot, you have to figure out how to get them into the wild, then you have to hope that your attacker can ko them.

taking candy from a baby, you take the candy and run

i think theres a big difference there.

So, not only do you assume that all people who are lured bought their accounts, but you say that the only way to learn is by losing your items?

Do you believe that you're doing some kind of service by teaching the newbs and killing those you think bought accounts?

wich one is better?

getting lured while your a low level and only losing 250k for that obby cape that you wanted

or while your a high level and losing 1.8 mill trying to buy that whip you've been saving up for a while?

me5894.png

untitled6kv7.gif

this is a game not any type of english test.

correction you have to talk them into coming to your spot, you have to figure out how to get them into the wild, then you have to hope that your attacker can ko them.

taking candy from a baby, you take the candy and run

i think theres a big difference there.

wich one is better?

getting lured while your a low level and only losing 250k for that obby cape that you wanted

or while your a high level and losing 1.8 mill trying to buy that whip you've been saving up for a while?

Which is better? Sure, dying at a low level is much better then dying and losing your whip, but that's beside the point!

Another thing. Oh poor me, after I trick this innocent player into the wilderness, i hope that my attacker can beat an unprepared player. Woe is me, my cheap, underhanded tactics won't work!

And lastly, "This is a game, not an english test"? Will it kill you to use a little grammer so people can understand what you're saying? I'm sorry that most of the people on this fourm like to read english, not giberish.

OhioState.jpg

Yeah, I lured before and didn't get anything much.

Then a few weeks later I was keylogged and lost 3mil in items I got from fishing lol.

Then I made an oath never to gain money off of other people's sweat (you can imagine how pissed I was at the loss of money)

Then, just yesterday one of my best friends lost a santa hat to a lure and quit runescape...

And to all you people who think that he is a "[wagon]" for falling for it, he lost connection while he was following somebody in edgeville bank, the guy ran into the wilderness and killed him (he was trying to lure him anyway, book lure...)

meh, I'll go copy and paste signature from other sites when I feel like it lol.

I don't lure, don't plan to lure but I do think that it is against the rules and should be reported (trade lures, from what I understand). However, as many have posted earlier....

If a player willingly goes out into the wild, fully knowing what is out there and what can happen, then that is the responsibilty of that player. i mean, there is a "hard to miss" warning before going out to the wild. If you still venture out there for whatever reason, that is your risk that you take. Trade or no trade. Bottomline....do not ever trade in the wild. No matter what the other person states. I feel that people who lure others into the wild to kill them is a lame as rc pkers. Players with time on their hands killing other players for the thrill of killing them. Anyway, I do not back up luring. Pking, is one thing. I don't support pking rcers either, but I know that is a risk that I have to take if I plan to go through the abyss.

Finally, luring, I feel, is the same as scammming. You are telling the other player that you are "not" going to kill them to trade ann item (dishonesty). Then you attack them for whatever item you requested? Yeah, that is very similar to stating you are going to pay 100k for an item but pay 1000 instead. Yes, the victim has a responsibility as well, but scamming is scammming and luring is just another scam. That is why there are "Scam artists" in the real world as well. Perhaps Runescape is not too far off of real society as we hoped it would be!!! LOL

~A lil mage goes a long way~

scamming is defined by trading something for an unfair price or an unequvalent item. Just because your in the wilderness and see a large amount of money in the distance doesnt even involve the trade screen... so then how could it possibly be justified as scamming??? I think its acceptable. If your to careless to realize where your trades are taking place, than maybe you deserve a rude awakening.

90combat8jd.gif

708poxq9.gif

808cx.gif

The whole point of much of law is to defend the weak, the infirm, and yes, the stupid.

There is no such thing as "this is legal because you're a moron if you fall for it." Tell that to the conmen and scammers in white-collar prisons. Sure, the one being scammed shares part of the blame, but it doesn't absolve the scammer of moral responsibility. I'm somewhat shocked that this attitude is so prevalent on this thread. I expect that you would be somewhat ticked if you got mugged and the cops said "It's your fault for being in this part of town, so we're not going to press charges."

In my personal opinion, luring as defined above is item scamming, pure and simple. It's lying to another player for your own personal gain - so rule two directly applies.

Exactly. You nailed it SwampJedi. =D> Luring is wrong. Just because the stupid are the ones that suffer, does not make the luring O.K.

99 Attack at 102 Combat. :D

ThreeRivers1.png

Now training fletching... ;)

ThreeRivers1.png

The whole point of much of law is to defend the weak, the infirm, and yes, the stupid.

There is no such thing as "this is legal because you're a moron if you fall for it." Tell that to the conmen and scammers in white-collar prisons. Sure, the one being scammed shares part of the blame, but it doesn't absolve the scammer of moral responsibility. I'm somewhat shocked that this attitude is so prevalent on this thread. I expect that you would be somewhat ticked if you got mugged and the cops said "It's your fault for being in this part of town, so we're not going to press charges."

In my personal opinion, luring as defined above is item scamming, pure and simple. It's lying to another player for your own personal gain - so rule two directly applies.

Can't really put it much better than that.

I'm one of the people who tried in vain, for many hours, to make this point with a few other die-hards, on the Runescape forums. The Jagex mods engaged in a deliberate campaign of stonewalling and trying to hide the discussion. They simply don't want to address the issue.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Wow..that's pathetic. Jagex will let scammers have their way, break their OWN rules..yet they will ban someone for overpricing an item IN AN ECONOMY THEY CLAIM TO HAVE NO CONTROL OVER?!!?!

Jagex sure is showing ME as a player how irresponsible they are, and how careless with decisions they are. I'm probably going to quit RuneScape now..I lost membership, I don't think I want it back. Byebye RS, hello Warcraft 3.

scamming is defined by trading something for an unfair price or an unequvalent item. Just because your in the wilderness and see a large amount of money in the distance doesnt even involve the trade screen... so then how could it possibly be justified as scamming??? I think its acceptable. If your to careless to realize where your trades are taking place, than maybe you deserve a rude awakening.

Deception is ALSO a form of scamming. As I have explained, Deception is a form of trickery..trickery to get profit or personal gain. And, TRICKERY involves, in this case, tricking someone into going into a dangerous area.

tricking into wildy -> trickery -> deception -> SCAMMING -> Against Rule #2

And there we have it. And why should the stupid suffer? They may have never heard of the scam..they may just be hollow in the head. But they have equal rights as anyone else.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

WHAT I FIND MOST ANOYING IS HOW THEY KNOW MY COMBAT LEVEL

I GOT LURED FULL RUNE AND OBBY CAPE. BUT THE GUY I WAS TRDING WAS LIKE 10 LVLS OVER ME ... IS IT LIKE THEY LOOKING ON HIGHSCORES .... OOOH LLOOK AT THAT GUY ... WANNA LURE HIM .. OK!

*soz bout caps fogot they were on*

crystal_cape.png

16537th to get 99 fletching 20th june 2007

quest cape achieved 25th january 2008

1700 total 13th july 2008

click for blog